Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Reparing the Retrun to the Keep on the Borderlands
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Reparing the Retrun to the Keep on the Borderlands
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:09 am  
    Reparing the Retrun to the Keep on the Borderlands

I've been working on starting up a new campaign, and I'm going to use the retor-fitted Keep in Yeomanry. I have the Repair to the Keep text, file, but I've been thinking. I'm going to change Nergull to Herull, but instead of using Erishkigal as a demon queen.... I'm going to use the Raven Queen. Anyone have information on the domain/portfolios of the Raven Queen, so I can figure out how to fit her in? I'm not going to say she's the goddess of death (I'm running this under 2ed rules), but maybe she starts as a demon queen associated with Nerull, and eventually (but likely not in my campaign's lifetime) usurps his protfolio. Thoughts?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:19 am  

The Raven Queen would best be represented as a patron of the shadows, and death as its natural course, and an enemy to undeath. As for the demon queen angle, whatever floats your boat. But her worhsippers (in a 4E non-greyhawk world) are humans who have spent too long in the plane of shadow and those who are crusaders against undeath for personal reasons. She's not after the destruction or corruption of all, but rather to make sure that those who die stay dead. On the flip side, she's not above letting one or two go (ressurections), if they serve her greater needs, either directly or indirectly. Of course that's her as a god, not as a power trying to become one.

I could see a devil queen who is opposed to a demon queen, as devil fits her more lawful than chaotic outlook. I think in a pre-4E alignment system, she would have been Lawful Neutral, instead of unaligned.

I'll admit I don't know much about Return to the Keep or the original. What is Erishkigal 's angle?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:46 pm  

Of course, going with the original module, the priests of the Caves of Chaos were servants of chaos (by implication, chaotic evil). Going with Greyhawk, I would make that Iuz or Erythnul. Both are excellent choices considering the humanoid populations of the Caves.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:49 pm  

Please go with Erythnul Wink

I am a fan and supporter of Iuz but to often every humanoid clan becomes tied into Iuz. Then it inevitable leads to the ultimate showdown to Dorakaa. Iuz does not have to be behind every dastardly scheme.

Iuz as the master manipulator seemed odd. Personally I always saw him more as a spoiled child - I want it now - mentality rather then the patient master plan type.

He came up with the FtA scheme because he was imprisoned; nothing else to do but plan revenge - thanks Zagyg Mad
    GreySage

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:25 pm  

gargoyle wrote:
    Of course, going with the original module, the priests of the Caves of Chaos were servants of chaos (by implication, chaotic evil). Going with Greyhawk, I would make that Iuz or Erythnul. Both are excellent choices considering the humanoid populations of the Caves.

I'd use the Elder Elemental God, to tie them in with the GDQ series.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:47 am  

Actually I am running the same adventure for my group (the original B2 version) so far my group is enjoying it. I don't have the D or the Q modules to be able to coincide with the G's although I do own the Giants ones.

Problem is my players made a group decision to be villains. The human fighter worships Erythnul so I may use a more obscure deity. Not Iuz though. I may want to let him take a back seat on this one.

Jim

Happy
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:27 am  

Unless you want your players to aid the priests; Erythnul priests would ask why a follower is blocking the deities accumulating more power. Although with Erythnul a plausible scenario can be formed; just because a player worships the same deity as the priest doesn't mean their agendas converge.

If not Erythnul or Iuz; the obscure elemental princes make a good choice as the group appears interested in the primal forces.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:25 pm  

How about Beltar, goddess of caves, malice and pits? She's obscure, C/E (C/N), and fits with the "Caves of Chaos" theme. Or you could use Syrul, goddess of deceit, false promises and lies (N/E); could be an interesting twist.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:46 pm  

I was almost thinking Raxivort. Since the humanoids are involved maybe that (cave of the unknown) nearby cave has xvarts in it?

Crag I think your idea is definitely a good one. I think all the ideas are good I will think on it.

Jim
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:48 pm  

Gargoyle I will definitely look into it. Thanks guys.

Happy

Jim
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:41 am  
    What's Wrong with Introducing Evil Chaos as Described in B2

Why wouldn't a church of evil chaos as it's written work too? Wouldn't that be new and unexpected to the players?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri May 01, 2009 5:09 am  

I always wanted to see more done with Quasqueton, the two departed adventurers, and their connection to the CoC...

Sat May 02, 2009 7:45 pm  

@gargoyle: Actually, I'm also going to use B1. I am going to have it as a new stronghold for the bandits, except they found that some other humanoids have already inhabited the lower caves (which I plan to expand). I haven't figured out what to do with the two (apparently NE) owners of Quasqueton.....

I may yet get rid of the whole Erishkagil thing entirely. She is only there because whoever it was who did the Repair to the Keep article (someone on here pointed me at it...) had created Erishkagil to bring the module in line with Greyhawk. When I thought, evil demon queen given power over undead by Nerull, I thought Raven Queen fit right in, as she (according to 4ed) will eventually usurp Nerull. I'm running this under 2nd Ed rules, BTW. 8) I like the idea of using Erythynul, or the evil caves goddess.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: