JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Rise of the Baklun
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Rise of the Baklun
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 pm  
    Rise of the Baklun

I'm not a big fan of the abolition of the elemental planes in 4E. There's just too much unexplored conflict there. I have an unfinished concept that I hope illustrates the point.

'They could not know it was caused by Shothragot tearing the sky asunder to get to the ethereal plane. The result though leagues away were clear enough. The sudden bounty from the springs of Eru-Tovar nearly overwhelmed the city and the floodplains of the Blackwater decimated not just a few goblin tribes within Iuz' empire.

Once the trek to the cold marshes became a fluctuating event the town's scholars knew something was amiss with reality's fabric. When the lover's grotto outside it's walls suddenly became an occasional league's walk distant home a quiet inn within its' wall became a for more popular preference even if the risk of discovery by unapproving parents remained as ignomineous as ever.

Diviners and Sages began investigating in earnest when the prairie fires began. Deluges scorched the grasslands to such an extent that traders had to carry their own feed with them.

Testimony from Katan of the Trucking Luck Guild in particular provided glaring illustration of the hazards that beset caravans. He had encountered terrain that was dry steppes as he set camp in the evening only to find himself on tundra on the morn. He had suddenly found himself on the shore of the Icy Sea, and if not for a tribe of Jann living off sea beasts and dwelling in ice houses his entire shipment from Stonefist would surely have been lost.

By the end of the year a budding elementalist in a village on the Deepstill river just on the outskirts of the Vesve Forest figured out that he could negotiate with fire. The conversation he had resulted in the entire town being brought to a more effective trading position at the confluence of the Deepstill and the Dulsi. Unfortunately further talks resulted in his death as water elementals now living within the rivers objected to such close proximity with their diametrically opposed cousins.

Just the same the idea of roving cities, providing easy support for militia that could protect Nomad borders had been established. Ports of call were no longer just a sea-bound notion.

The first large-scale attempt at this though wasn't by the Nomads. Traft within Perrenland tried to move north-east with the aid of Air to situate better for protection from Nomadic raids from the north. A few leagues north is all they managed before earth elementals from the Sepia Uplands halted their progress.'

This is as far as I've gotten with this idea. Anyone care to run with it?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am  

Two things: first, you don't have to use the new 4E cosmology. Second, I think that the "Elemental Tempest" (or whatever they call it) can still be used to illustrate the conflicts you mention within the elemental courts. By all means - don't let you ideas be constrained by what the rules state! Use your imagination and create what ever you desire.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: