JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Secondary Sources
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Secondary Sources
    Adept Greytalker

Mon May 18, 2009 2:17 pm  
    Secondary Sources

...For a lack of a better term at the moment....

I was looking at H4 and while it's Forgotten Realms material, I see that it does cover the Palace of Orcus which is in the Abyss and Orcus and the Abyss are referenced in Greyhawk. So is there incentive to have a list of locations which have been published quoted with the source document like this like we have with the Greyhawk Modules Locations Index?
    GreySage

Mon May 18, 2009 3:32 pm  

I would assume the Abyssal locations noted in H4 are canon for Greyhawk. They're also mentioned in Fiendish Codex I.

I guess it depends on how extensive you want your index to be. There are a lot of generic and Planescape adventures and sourcebooks that mention planar locations that I would assume are canon for Greyhawk's planes, so opening your index to these sources would expand it tremendously, and possibly overwhelm the Greyhawkness of it.

I would suggest placing planar adventures in a separate list. This kind of separation seems logical and might make things more convenient to reference; those looking for a planar location could check that list first, and those looking only for locations on Oerth could check only the Oerth list.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon May 18, 2009 3:34 pm  
    Re: Secondary Sources

Raymond wrote:
    ...For a lack of a better term at the moment....

I was looking at H4 and while it's Forgotten Realms material, I see that it does cover the Palace of Orcus which is in the Abyss and Orcus and the Abyss are referenced in Greyhawk. So is there incentive to have a list of locations which have been published quoted with the source document like this like we have with the Greyhawk Modules Locations Index?

For a Greyhawk specific reference, probably not. However, as a general resource for those that might want to have their Greyhawk players visit the Abyss it would be useful.

Don't get me wrong, I have used Generic and non-Greyhawk campaign materials as sources for my Greyhawk campaign, but that is on a case by case basis.

My Two Coppers,

~~Saracenus
    GreySage

Mon May 18, 2009 4:17 pm  

Off the top of my head, the list should include:

Queen of the Demonweb Pits
    Dungeonland
    The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror
    Isle of the Ape
    Egg of the Phoenix
    Throne of Bloodstone
    Tales of the Outer Planes
    Treasures of Greyhawk
    Harbinger House
    Into the Abyss
    Something Wild
    The Deva Spark
    Fires of Dis
    Doors to the Unknown
    Well of Worlds
    Hellbound: The Blood War
    The Great Modron March
    Dead Gods
    Tales from the Infinite Staircase
    For Duty & Deity
    Vortex of Madness
    TSR Jam
    Lord of the Iron Fortress
    Bastion of Broken Souls
    Expedition to the Demonweb Pits
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 19, 2009 3:34 pm  
    Abyss or Extra-Planar

As an index, we'd need to also list what extra planar setting is in that document. Such as:

Code, Title, Location
    H4, Throne of Bloodstone, Orcus' Palace

If people see value in such an index we could ask the webmaster to add a link in the frame to the left which logs it.
    Master Greytalker

Wed May 20, 2009 3:30 pm  

Without getting into a recycled thread on the merits of the Castle Greyhawk joke module, various sections of it take place in other planes. OTTOMH, there is a part in Pandemonium. There is a part with Jubilex, but IDR if that is in his home plane or he is on the Prime.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    GreySage

Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm  

There are several demiplanes attached to WG7, including the Plane of Eternal Autumn (which is actually a cool place, and not that jokey) and the various demiplanes of Aunt Bee. There's a room with tapestries that connect to various planes, and two possible ways to get to the Nine Hells. I don't remember any Pandemonium connections, though, and the encounter with Juiblex takes place on the Material Plane, in the sewers under the castle. There are actually two different versions of Juiblex (original flavor and King Burger), and something like six different pastiches of Mordenkainen.
    Master Greytalker

Thu May 21, 2009 1:07 pm  

I haven’t thought of the MM Demon Lords in quite while, other than Demogorgon. In 1st ed., though we played in Greyhawk, Orcus and Jubilex were always the bad guys. Just their mention makes me reminisce...

Anyone remember who the others were? I don’t have my books handy.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu May 21, 2009 7:28 pm  

From the original Monster Manual, we have

Demogorgon, Prince of Demons
    Juiblex, The Faceless Lord
    Orcus, Prince of the Undead
    Yeenoghu, Demon Lord of Gnolls

Lolth was covered in the FF, and there were quite a few more in MM2, of course...

Personally, I've always been more enamored of the Devils as opponents.
    Master Greytalker

Fri May 22, 2009 8:57 am  

rasgon wrote:
    I don't remember any Pandemonium connections.

The Room of Challenge (?) [big arena] on the Virtues and Vices level.
    Hmm. Perhaps it was Limbo?
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    GreySage

Fri May 22, 2009 3:33 pm  

Yes, the arena is connected to (though not itself a part of) Limbo.

"The arena is adjacent to a portion of Limbo ruled by a powerful Death Slaad, Zgotar. Originally random monsters generated by the Random Monster Generator were jumping through a portal to Limbo. To prevent his realm from being overrun by even more chaos than it already endured (some types of chaos are more desirable than others to slaad) Zgotar sealed off Limbo from the area, and built an arena around it." - page 98.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: