Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - origin of the term "Jasidian"??
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    origin of the term "Jasidian"??
    CF Admin

Sun May 31, 2009 12:12 pm  
    origin of the term "Jasidian"??

I have always associated the term "Jasidian" with chatdemon's works on Wee Jas: did he create the term, or does it originate elsewhere?

Just curious :D

Sun May 31, 2009 4:51 pm  

It originated in The Scarlet Brotherhood by Sean K. Reynolds.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:25 pm  
    Chatdemon's "Jasidian"

This might be a minor nitpick in the pronunciation or spelling of the word, but I actually think that Chatdemon made this one up.

In The Scarlet Brotherhood by Sean K. Reynolds the faithful of Wee Jas are collectively called the "Jasadin" (JASS-a-din). Although, I must admit to a penchant for pronouncing it "jass-ah-DEEN" rather than having it rhyme with "paladin", myself. But now that I think about it ... maybe it's meant to rhyme with paladin. Related Note: This is the term for for any follower, even the lay-followers, of Wee Jas. The Specialty Priests - clerics that serve Wee Jas individually - are called "Karuth".

I believe that I have spoken to Chatdemon in the past in GreyTalk, and he said that he wasn't fond of SKR's work, and he preferred the term "Jasidian". I don't know if he made it up, or if it's common from Dragonsfoot, or elsewhere, but I believe that it does have a few adherents and he's not the only one who uses it ... just the only one that uses it commonly here.

Just my two coppers.
    Icarus
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>

Last edited by Icarus on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
    GreySage

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:26 pm  

I wasn't paying attention to the way Grodog was spelling it, sorry. Sean K. Reynolds actually spelled it "Jasadin."

I didn't notice that Grodog put an "a" in it. I'm glad Icarus was more on the ball than I was.

Yeah, "Jasidian" seems to be vintage Chatdemon.
    CF Admin

Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:29 pm  

I asked because I'm writing up a cult of Wee Jas heretics, who are worshipping a male form of the goddess (and are backed by Set, prayers/spells-wise), and the term popped into my head and it felt right for the sect/cult. I thought it was Rich's but I just wasn't sure.

Thanks guys!

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:58 pm  

Um, no, I've always used Jasidan, two As, one I.

I use it in the adjective form, She's a jasidan priest, as well as the noun form, singular. The plural is Jasidans, go figure Laughing

No, Im not a fan of SKR's work, but this is one rare example of a bit I did adopt.

If it appears in any of my articles or posts as Jasidian, with two Is, it was a typo. It happens Embarassed

If I recall correctly, there was a chatroom convo about the nomenclature, and I was objecting to "weejasian".

As for pronunciation, I say Jah-see-den, and as a related bit of trivia from my homebrew wee jas material, the holy text of her church in the ancient empire, which is only used by the most orthodox of Jasidans now, is called the Arcanistra of Jasid, Jasid being a holy city dedicated to the goddess and arcane magic in general, and named in her honor.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:14 pm  
    Re: Chatdemon's "Jassidian"

Icarus wrote:
    Related Note: This is the term for for any follower, even the lay-followers, of Wee Jas. The Specialty Priests - clerics that serve Wee Jas individually - are called "Karuth".

Indeed, I agree completely with Icarus here. Jasidan is the equivalent of calling someone a Christian. Titles within the church vary.

For my ultraorthodox wee jas church/cult in Cryllor, titles are based on the "magi" theme. Magi are the Wizards, Sorcerers and other sundry arcane casters affiliated with the order. Magists are the common (low level) clergy, Magistrates are the ranking clergy and the leader of the order is known as the Magistra of the Ruby Scepter.

SKR's titles as given in SB and perhaps expanded on in his (and GVD's, IIRC) article on Wee Jas for 3.5e work fine for me for the "generic" churches a party might encounter that the DM hasn't felt a need to customize.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:59 pm  
    More on the Jasadin -

Chatdemon
    Thank you for the analogy relating it to an IRL religion ... Ages and ages ago, I had a difficult time IMC explaining how to use the term. While you are more than welcome to use it in anyway you like (and I would highly encourage it, since you seem to have developed it well), but in the SKR work, it reads that "they are collectively known as the Jasadin" ... that kind of makes it the plural form. "Jasidans" would be something akin to "womens". It's already plural ... no "s" necessary.

On a little bit of a humorous note (and I say this with a friendly smile Happy ) ... you're still spelling it wrong. Laughing It doesn't seem to be a typo.

I had thought you said: "Jasidian"
    What you just wrote: "Jasidan"
    What SKR called them: "Jasadin"

The really funny part, is that when I read it just now, I read the second one as being pronounced "Jazzy Dan"! Shocked I wonder if he still hangs out with the Fresh Prince! Laughing
    Chatdemon wrote:
    As for pronunciation, I say Jah-see-den

The kink that this throws into the work, is that your insistence that it must have been a typo conflicts with the fact that you said that you pronounce it with the "I" in the middle of the word. Either you are continually typing it and saying it wrong, or you have obviously adopted your own word. There's nothing wrong with that. Say it how you hear it in your "gamer's ear". If that's the way that you think it sounds cool, by all means ... use it. There are much bigger and stranger things that people change in GH.
    Just be aware that you are, indeed, using it differently.

Icarus
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:26 pm  

I didn't recall that SKR spelled it Jasadin. Oh well, I've used Jasidan for a decade now, I'll stick with that spelling.

Anyway, it could also be considered to be a regional or sectarian variant, since I've never really developed or used Wee Jas or her church outside of the cult in Cryllor.

I just wanted to clarify that I have it ending -dan, not -dian. And I never use "weejasian" Laughing

Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:35 am  
    There is no "D" in "Wee Jas"

I've always thought "Jasidian" or "Jasadin" whatever they're calling it sounded illogical. "Jasian" is much better. After all, her name is "Wee Jas," not "Wee Jasid" or "Wee Jasad."

It's akin to calling a Christian as "Christidian."
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:13 pm  

...or just "Jasin"(jah-SEEN).

Ockam's razor and all. Wink

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:54 am  
    Re: There is no "D" in "Wee Jas"

Robbastard wrote:
    I've always thought "Jasidian" or "Jasadin" whatever they're calling it sounded illogical. "Jasian" is much better. After all, her name is "Wee Jas," not "Wee Jasid" or "Wee Jasad."

That troubled me when SB was first released as well, and is part of the reason for creating the (historical) city of Jasid, to the followers of Wee Jas what Mecca is to some religious groups in the real world. Jasid is long destroyed, it's ruins buried beneath the Sea of Dust, but strict orthodox followers of Wee Jas still call themselves Jasidans, the people of the holy city of Jasid. In my home campaign, of course. YMMV.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:48 pm  

Thanks for the clarifications Rich: it looks like I spun off from your variation on the term, inspiration-wise, so thanks for that! :D

FYI, in case anyone's curious, the PCs had just gotten to the heretical temple of Wee Jas when we have to leave on Saturday for the BBQ at the con. I was sooooooo looking forward to sicking the Jasidians on them.... *sigh*
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: