JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Expidition to Skrellingshald
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Expidition to Skrellingshald
    Adept Greytalker

Sun May 24, 2009 11:09 am  
    Expidition to Skrellingshald

Another idea I'm working on, I'd like to run a megamodule for Skrellinghald along the lines of the "Expedition to..." adventures. Has anyone done any work on Skrellingshald they'd like to share? Thnx

Sun May 24, 2009 2:54 pm  

And yes, I've this:
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=465

Tue May 26, 2009 9:36 pm  

This area was detailed in a Living Greyhawk core plot arc, iirc. Ah, just found the AR in my stack...COR4-15 War of the Dust was set in Tenh and Tostenhca. Here's some info I found about it online. Perhaps you can email Paul Looby and get some info.

(http://www.onyxgate.com/turbine/scenario-show?id=COR4-15):

COR4-15: War of the Dust

This scenario is retired from play
    By: Paul Looby
    Premiere Event: Gen Con Europe
    APLs: APL4, APL6, APL8, APL10, APL12, APL14
    Scenario Rating: [3.55] (45 reviews, design: [3.67] balance: [3.33] recommend: [3.64])
    [If you login, you can submit a review on this scenario]
    Played: 363 (13.00% of All)
    Rounds: 2
    What greater tragedy than a realm at war with itself over the ruins of past glories? What greater sorrow than blood spilled for a legacy of dust? What greater need than hope for a despairing people, than life for a dying land? Part Three of the Children of the Dust Trilogy. APL 4-14. 2 rounds

(Part of the Children of the Dust Trilogy. The parts of this series, in order, are: COR4-06 Duke of the Dust, COR4-10 Riddle of the Dust, and COR4-15 War of the Dust.)
    Adept Greytalker

Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 pm  

Thanks for the info; I am looking into acquiring this module now.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:41 pm  

So, I've been doing some research on the goods of Tenh, even though the occupied nation doesn't actively trade. Tenh was known primarily for its platinum and foods. That's all. Well, digging into this I've found a lot of information about platinum, including the fact that often found with platinum are silver, gold, copper, nickel and iron, as well as the platinum group metals (osmium, palladium, iridium, etc.), the latter of which would likely be unknown at this time. Another metal commonly found with platinum is cobalt. At this time, it is unlikely the Tenha would be able to isolate cobalt, but here's the interesting thing; cobalt salts provide a beautiful shade of blue used in glass, ceramics and clothing. The most common source is a stone known as kobold ore, from whence cobalt gets its name. There are certainly kobolds in Skrellingshald, and likely elsewhere. Also, there is the city of Calbut, which could also be a mention of cobalt. I would thus suggest there is a beautiful shade of blue known to the Flannaess as either "Tenha blue" or "Calbut blue". Fine plates and glassware from Tenh could fetch high prices for the beautiful blue pigments, often set with platinum trim. Though platinum is the main metal mined, small but significant quantities of silver, iron, gold, copper and kupfernickel ("Nick's copper", "false copper", before it was known as nickel) are also produced. Small amounts of gems, mainly garnets and corundums (chiefly sapphires), and even some spinels could also occur here. The mines themselves could produce toxic, acidic sludge that can affect the local ecosystem and give rise to nasty slimes (do some research on mines, especially the Iron Mountain Mine).

Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:58 pm  

As far as the food of Tenh: the ground should be acidic and rocky, and the terrain hilly all the way down to the Artonsamay. The climate should fall into the cool temperate range, with cold winters and mild summers. While these conditions do provide the possibility of various grains, without magical aid the Tenha likely did not grow such in exportable quantities. However, the ground should be ideal for a variety of root vegetables, notably potatoes and sugar beets. Sheep and goats would be the most common herd animals, which provides a number of dairy products, as well as meat and wool. So, I would conclude that Tenha trade goods consist of raw platinum, platinum jewelry and finery, blue-hue glass and ceramics, goat and sheep meats, cheeses and wool, potatoes, sugar beets and other root vegetables (turnips, carrots, etc.) and small amounts of gems (sapphires and garnets), furs (mink and ermine), wheat, barley and rye, and spirits (vodka, whiskey and gin), and some wood.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:05 pm  

gargoyle wrote:
    So, I've been doing some research on the goods of Tenh, even though the occupied nation doesn't actively trade. Tenh was known primarily for its platinum and foods. That's all. Well, digging into this I've found a lot of information about platinum, including the fact that often found with platinum are silver, gold, copper, nickel and iron, as well as the platinum group metals (osmium, palladium, iridium, etc.), the latter of which would likely be unknown at this time. Another metal commonly found with platinum is cobalt. At this time, it is unlikely the Tenha would be able to isolate cobalt, but here's the interesting thing; cobalt salts provide a beautiful shade of blue used in glass, ceramics and clothing. The most common source is a stone known as kobold ore, from whence cobalt gets its name. There are certainly kobolds in Skrellingshald, and likely elsewhere. Also, there is the city of Calbut, which could also be a mention of cobalt. I would thus suggest there is a beautiful shade of blue known to the Flannaess as either "Tenha blue" or "Calbut blue". Fine plates and glassware from Tenh could fetch high prices for the beautiful blue pigments, often set with platinum trim. Though platinum is the main metal mined, small but significant quantities of silver, iron, gold, copper and kupfernickel ("Nick's copper", "false copper", before it was known as nickel) are also produced. Small amounts of gems, mainly garnets and corundums (chiefly sapphires), and even some spinels could also occur here. The mines themselves could produce toxic, acidic sludge that can affect the local ecosystem and give rise to nasty slimes (do some research on mines, especially the Iron Mountain Mine).

I love both the play on words, and the parallel development in world that makes sense and allows for some awesome puns that the players get to use. Awesome stuff. I don't have anything to add to to the discussion, unfortuneately, but I did want to praise you on this particular part of it - BRILLIANT! lol Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:13 pm  

I'm a linguistics major; its in my nature. Happy

Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:34 pm  

Alright, I'm getting into the nitty gritty of the campaign now, and I can't find anything about where Skrellingshald is other than "in the Griff Mountains". Judging that it is the progenitor nation of the Duchy of Tenh (Toststenhca), and the seul barbarians name it Skrellingshald, I'm figuring it is somewhere inbetween the Hold of Stonefist and Tenh. Any suggestions?

Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:56 pm  

gargoyle wrote:
    Alright, I'm getting into the nitty gritty of the campaign now, and I can't find anything about where Skrellingshald is other than "in the Griff Mountains". Judging that it is the progenitor nation of the Duchy of Tenh (Toststenhca), and the seul barbarians name it Skrellingshald, I'm figuring it is somewhere inbetween the Hold of Stonefist and Tenh. Any suggestions?

IIRC, its location is detailed on the Mona Greyhawk maps. Also, it should be detailed in the Living Greyhawk mod that is set there if you can get a copy of it.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:42 pm  

OK, I'll take a look. Thanks!

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:26 am  

Here ya go:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:33 pm  

Where can one find the Mona maps?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:29 pm  

They are not open source, but they are in Dungeon Magazine issues #118-121. Here's a link to the issues:

http://paizo.com/dungeon/products/issues/greyhawkmap

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:37 am  

Thanks
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:05 am  

Does COR4-15 have any specific historical information on Tostenhca, such as when it was built, when Keraptiis came & left, & when it fell?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: