Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    about maps, travels and distance
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:31 pm  
    about maps, travels and distance

hello folks!

i just found this map:
    http://www.greyhawkonline.com/canonfire/daneveland_furyondy.pdf

the good thing are the hexes, as they help me to count distance, and i dont need to take a ruler and see the equivalent measures.

do you think this map is on proportion?
    i was looking at the beatiful realistic maps Anna made, and some distances are a little diferent from the map i have.

i dont want to be too "tight" about this, just want to know more about distances in GH world.

second thing is:
    once i asked at EnForuns how long would take to travel 100 miles, and the general answer was about 6-5 days, traveling by foot and counting dwarves, gnomes and such.

whats our take on the "how long it takes to travel 100 miles" question? do you agree?
    the adventure is suppose to happens in the Furyondy area..
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:29 pm  

By the 3E rules, it would take about five and a half days for a dwarf-laden party, walking 8 hours a day, with clear terrain or roads to walk 100 miles. By the '83 box set for Greyhawk, it would take just over three and a third days, in the same conditions. In reality, most healthy, fit humans could walk 100 miles in just about 4 days (average human walking speed is considered 3 to 3.5 miles per hour), in the same conditions. This doesn't take into account rough terrain, bad weather, forced marches, etc., which could lengthen or shorten the journey.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:29 pm  

One thing you might want to consider is 'minor inconveniences' that add 'an hour here, an hour there' that could add some time over a journey. Afterall, the climate is supposed to be Northern Europe - it rains. Dirt roads become saturated with water which can make for slower going for traffic. Along with that there are toll stations and farmers waiting in line to pay the toll can really back things up.

I don't recommend getting into depth about this with your players, unless they like that kind of depth. I'd just tell them, 'miscellaneous delays' for ease. Then again, if your players are so hungry and destitute they can raid one of these toll stations! Afterall, farmers normally paid their taxes in produce so there would be warehouses at these toll ways.

Speaking of tolls, I like to nickel and dime my players. A copper piece per mile per character, per axle, per horse/donkey/mule, etc. Can really add up. It also would emphasize the importance of the smaller currencies. I digress.

Another idea you might want to consider: Constitution is the health and fitness level of a character. Characters with lower constitutions would need to rest more often and longer than other, healthier characters. I'm riffing here: a constitution of 11 would have a character walk 100 miles in 6 days (i'm rounding off here), every point below 10 would add 12 hours to that time. And if you want to get real devilish you can make some secret saves to see if they get sick (unsanitary conditions, bad food, etc.) along the way! A character laid out by the flu could set a party back some time.

I trust this helps.

The Grey Mouser
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:45 pm  

An example from my own youth, if it helps any:

Between the ages of 13 and 16 I lived almost exactly 22 miles from the nearest town of any size, if you followed the highway. Given that it was a kinder, gentler world back then, my parents would allow me to walk there with some frequency to visit friends.

I lived in the Ozark Hills in Arkansas at the time, which is fairly rugged terrain. I followed a path that roughly paralleled the road for most of the way, but which was more direct. However, I also had to cut around various hollows, ford several small creeks, climb a couple million hills, and otherwise avoid terrain obstacles. And I was overweight and not in particularly good shape (think of the typical pudgy nerd). I usually left home sometime around 8:00am.

With all that in mind, I usually arrived in town around 6:00pm - hot, sweaty, thirsty, and hungry but not particularly tired. I know I arrived around 6:00 because that's when my friends would eat dinner with their family, and I was always invited to join them.

I hope this real-world example helps.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:40 am  

thanks guys,
    that helped a lot! (and the tale of a real life helped too, thanks!)

one question more:
    "By the 3E rules, it would take about five and a half days for a dwarf-laden party, walking 8 hours a day, with clear terrain or roads to walk 100 miles. By the '83 box set for Greyhawk, it would take just over three and a third days, in the same conditions."

why such a diference?
    thats a rules diference, or a map size diference?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:28 am  

Rossik,

Roman soldiers had to march at an ordinary pace (pace equals one step for each leg) of 20 Roman miles (0.92 of a standard mile or 18 miles when converted) in 5 summer hours and at a fast military pace of 24 Roman miles (22 standard miles) in 5 summer hours carrying a 70 pound backpack.

Remember, these athletes were in good shape, and did not always march across roads. Compare Bubbagump’s “typical pudgy-nerd” efforts where he walked 22 miles in 10 hours without a 70 pound pack to the Roman foot soldier’s fast paced march of 22 miles in 5 hours with a 70 pound pack. Interesting, yes?!

Note: this does not indicate that they walked 5 hours continuously, it only states that the total march time was 5 hours. Perhaps this could translate into easier numbers for game sake: walk 5 hours and cover 20 miles with standard gear. Allow for 4 breaks lasting 15 minutes each and the time becomes 6 hours (one hour of total rest plus 5 hours of marching).

To answer your last two questions,...

One could cross a Darlene Map Hex (10 leagues/30 miles) in 9 hours using the last example. A group of fit heroes walking for 9 hours each day could cross 100 miles in 3.3 days.

Assuming that the PCs have above normal fitness (like most D&D fighters and Roman foot soldiers), they could cross 100 miles in 5 days on foot (with gear) or less if they all push their efforts.

Urgency (and load) seems to make the difference.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/romeweapons/p/RomanArmy.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

Does this help?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:25 am  

King Harold was able to march an entire army some 200 miles in 4 days to meet the Normans at the Battle of Hastings.

Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas covered ground at an even greater clip when pursuing the orcs that had captured Merry and Pippin.

I have taken hours to cover no more than a mile through wooded terrain.

In the end, there is no precise answer in how long it takes to travel on foot due to the myriad of factors that can effect travel time. The DM can pretty easily massage the numbers any way he desires.

Personally, I would let the trip be quicker and more pleasant if the PCs pay proper homage to Fharlanghn. I would make the trip longer and more difficult if they fail to pay homage to Fharlanghn.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:20 pm  

Very nice map Rossik. Thanks for pointing it out!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:17 am  

OleOneEye wrote:
    Personally, I would let the trip be quicker and more pleasant if the PCs pay proper homage to Fharlanghn. I would make the trip longer and more difficult if they fail to pay homage to Fharlanghn.

Ah yes, the old "Odysseus Factor". Wink Laughing
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: