Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Please help me refine my campaign. All comments welcome
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Please help me refine my campaign. All comments welcome
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:53 am  
    Please help me refine my campaign. All comments welcome

I am running my first campaign in years for a group of dedicated players who need a good run. I have always loved Greyhawk and I want to run a campaign that works in the year c597. This is a rough draft of my campaign storyline. I would love for anyone to please read through this horribly long post and give me some good info on timeline, diety, correctness, excitement, etc. Please forgive typos and such, I've been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks and have been glued to my computer. I want to do this right, any help is welcome. For my own ease, I am creating 'modules for each section and each number is a module.

1. Introduction – the players will come out of the introduction at level 7 and I am hoping to get them to level 30 by the end of the campaign. They have learned of the amphoras and that they are magical of some sorts, created by someone for an unknown purpose.
    a. Truth is, the amphoras are part of a contingency plan laid by Iggwilv in the event of her capture. She started this plan years ago, for the events to be triggered by her at her discretion. The amphoras hold ‘revenants’ of deities, basically smaller aspects of themselves, and have been placed with worshippers of the deities in various ways. The general plot of each module is to get the players to retrieve the amphora and return it to ‘Mordenkainen’ who is Zagyg masquerading as the well-known mage. I have incorporated some of my own characters from previous campaigns as NPCs. Nyara (the Night Shade) is an NPC who is head of the assassin’s guild in Greyhawk and has brought the PC’s together for these missions.
    b. I have put areas of the campaign in a state of ‘limbo’ meaning they can happen mixed up or not, spaced out or not, because the characters in the campaign have some sidequests pertaining to their background and because I have tried to accommodate for holy days in relation to each diety.
    c. I have tried to use as many current references from Greyhawk, all for personal use, so please do not be alarmed by copying locations or storylines, I am not attempting to say this is all original, only the basis for the campaign.
    2. Pyremius – Melkot
    a. (original entry: "extinct volcano boom!" - inspired by National Geographic's article 'Yellowstone Supervolcano') In retalliation for not being allowed in the dark city of Melkot, the followers of Pyremius is calling upon their lord using a powerful weapon bestowed upon them long ago by his herald, Hura (iggwilv). They plan to cause the 'extinct' volcano under the castle to build magma and erupt creating a giant caldera where the majority of the city now rests. In their wonderous plan, they will be safe as followers of the fire god and denizens of the deep. The ashen cloud from the volcano will cover Flanaess causing volcanic winter and devastating Oerth.
    b. Sensing a massive amount of natural magic being used to the southeast, Mordenkainen guides the party to Melkot. The party must find the source of the power in the city, following tips and rumors from the townsfolk. The party must them infiltrate the dark city, find the temple, and shut down the source of the magic - an amphora! Returning the amphora to Mordenkainen allows him to realize that he can recall an image of the diety whose revenant is trapped in the amphora, giving him their insight into the goings on of the situation. Mordenkainen has found a way to cork the amphoras, preventing them from spewing 'nonsense' everywhere.
    3. Incabulos – Riftcrag – Rift Canyon
    a. In the possession of a great power (an amphora) the priests of Incabulos design to awaken a great powerful dragon with it in the heart of Rift Canyon. The dragon has the power to spread a cloud of pestilence over the land of Flanaess, causing disease and havoc everywhere. Led by the instructions of an ancient priestess, Tasha (iggwilv), the priests determine the location and day to awaken the great dragon. They will bring a sacrifice to appease the great beast while they unleash the controlling power of the amphora on the dragon. While this will work to awaken the Blight Dragon, the priests are unaware that this beast will have no allegiance with them. Nerull is undoubtedly excited about the business he is about to recieve.
    b. Knowing now that there may be many amphora, Nyara sends the party to investigate the disappearances of some of her employees in Rift Crag. Discovering that these employees are intended sacrifices, the party pursues the kidnappers to discover their heinous plot. Defeating the dragon, the party can cork the amphora, pulling the veils of rotten mist down into the depths of the canyon. Returning the amphora to mordenkainen reveals a plot involving multiple dieties, with Nerull being far too excited.
    4. Wee Jas – Sasserine – Amedo Jungle
    a. Long ago, an expensive gift was given to the temple in Sasserine, a beautifully jeweled amphora. The followers here believe it is a direct connection to the goddess's Arcane Well and they have made many expensive sacrifices to it over the years, stoking its power. One particular follower was met with a dream of a beautiful woman he believes is Wee Jas (Tasha - iggwilv) in the night telling him that for this Goddess' Blush, he must uncork the amphora and let the magic flow over the land to release the reincarnated souls defaulted to Wee Jas through their lack of faith. To the new 'prophet' this will restore magical order to the land of the Amedo Jungle and beyond, smiting those who cause chaos with magic and rewarding those who obey its order. In reality, this will release a vast amount of undead on the lands of the Flanaess causing pure necromantic chaos. Wee Jas will not be pleased, as the power of her devout sacrificing to the amphora in her name will only power the misuse of magic. For iggwilv, this provides a much needed distraction to a force that would oppose her godhood.
    b. nyara hears about the opulent prophecy and celebration to occur in Sasserine through a few of her employees who follow Wee Jas and have all asked for vacation during the same time. Angry that her business is being so disrupted, she sends the party to investigate. The party can prevent the amphora from being uncorked, if they fail to do so, they face the onslaught of many undead until they decide that a cork needs to go back in. The prophet has been instructed to destroy the cork immediately, leaving the party possibly carrying back a varitable undead summoning machine (ever played left 4 dead?). The Jasidin will of course, be horrified at the chaos caused by the prophet and aid the party in dispatching of him simply to turn on the party with intent to destroy them as interlopers into the order of magic. Or, the Jasidin will turn on them for preventing the awesome prophetized cleansing. Either way, much magic battle. Wee Jas will reveal to mordenkainen the deception that has occurred and the portence of corking the damned amphoras.
    5. Raxivort – Blue – Pomarj
    a. Through the vast systems of the Underdark, the followers of Raxivort (over the past hundreds of years) have placed themselves in places of advisory to many of the denizens of the mountains surrounding eastern Flanaess, including Crystalmist, The Jotems, Little Hills, Good Hills, The Barrier Peaks, Lortmill, Old Hills, Drachensgrab (of course), Kron Hills, Yatill Mountains, Abbor-Alz, Brass Hills and Cairn Hills. Word has come to these distant underlings of a great celebration to sacrifice their well-earned(stolen/conned) loot from these establishments to wonderous Raxivort. At this celebration, the 'implants' will recieve their orders on delaying, misrouting and haulting trade with their neighboring countries to redirect all goods to the west along river and sea routes only. Each 'implant' must draw their location from a magical pot of gold (the amphora of Raxivort) during the ceremony to be held on the new moon of Luna in Goodmonth (sounds good). Raxivort hopes this will appease his newest consort Hura (iggwilv) - lovely xvart maiden that she is! who gave him the incredible plane-pacting weapon, the pot of gold.
    b. Noticing the trade 'embargos,' Greyhawk's Gemcutters Guild is getting worried. Nyara send the party to question the xvart at the guildhall, (who tell them about the meeting in Goodmonth), then on a mission to identify the final destination of the traders. 'Mordenkainen' provides them a ship - the first he ever made - to track the traders down. Interrogation (peaceful or not) of caravans of ships lead the party to Blue, where they find the relatively empty temple of Raxivort and his amphora 'the pot of gold'. Still, the destinations of the ships are unknown, as if the captains were being guided by something they accepted but did not understand. The party can find an enchanted compass, no markings, only always pointing one direction, an accidental tool created by the xvart to relieve any questions from the captains of the sailing vessels. 'Mordenkainen' learns something about the actual amphoras from this mission - they appear to contain aspects of dieties that interact with the followers around them unbeknownst to the dieties themselves.
    6. Beltar – Spinecastle
    a. Zuggtmoy, an ally of Iggwilv, has convinced Beltar that allying the cheifdoms of Bone March into a single army to march on the flanaess will restore her former glory as a greater goddess. Zuggtmoy gave her priests in Spinecastle a weapon to strengthen them in battle, Beltar's amphora. They will invoke her power to solidify the alliance, power the armies and begin the march, joining with the forces of the Northern Kingdom on the way.
    b. The players arrive in Spinecastle in time to stop Beltar's armies, who head for Erythnul or Hextor. In the mean time, they find the Old One Savannah Snowbourne* Who is revered as being the one to save a young, pre-human Spinecastle. They can fight their way through the tunnels or espionnage their way through the temple. Through Mordenkainen, they find out about Zuggtmoy and the Northern Province, though Nyara has another mission for them first.
    7. Erythnul – Vlekstaad, Stonehold
    a. Erythnul's priests are using his power to conquer the Roamers of the Barren Wastes and retrieve the women (soldier bearers) and children (future soldiers) stolen from Vlekstaad during the raid before the fire. They will use the newest weapon they have developed (a priest is claiming the development but Zuggtmoy appeared to him in a dream and he woke up next to it) which will instantly turn the children into powerful warriors. The priests have secretly formed alliances with the Barbarians from the north that are still pissed because Sevvord is clearly a pawn of Iuz, who has recently been nearly defeated (a crime in the eyes of Erythnul worshippers). This will allow them a formidable army, as Erythnul is giving them many of his own demon creations and is manipulating the Giants of the north to aid them. They then intend to intercept the forces of Hextor (informed on to them by Zuggtmoy) and reclaim his right as the God of War - he has no doubt that Beltar will side with him, as his forces will be largely humanoid.
    b. Nyara's spies identify the movement of the giants and barbarians in the North. Fearing another imminent attack of humanoid armies, Nyara sends the party to Vlekstaad. The players arrive in Vlekstaad to halt the priests from enticing the revenant from the amphora and transforming the children there. Unfortunately, the armies of giants and demons are already on their way to the Barren Wastes, not very good (or willing) at listening to directions after all. Alternative: the players may be able to befriend the rebuilding civilians - ready to never see more war - to overpower the cultists, acheiving the same goal. The players, taking the amphora to greyhawk, find out about unsanctioned assassinations in Eastfair. Nyara suspects the involvement of another amphora.
    8. Hextor – Eastfair
    a. After being contacted by Zuggtmoy, who appeared to them all in a dream, the priests of hextor plan to use her gift of his amphora to eliminate the elite military commanders of the North Province, replace them and march on Nyrond (heironeous's faithful) with the support of the humanoid armies of the Bone March, then across Flanaess to Keoland to eliminate all worshippers of Heirnoeous, as well as absorbing Erythnul's (the LESSER god) giant armies from the North. Hextor is aware of the dissolution of Beltar's armies, but believes that the humanoids will follow him none-the-less because of his strong presence amongst her devout. Meeting with the remnants of the humanoid masses, Hextor's army marches to confront erythnul's armies.
    b. Nyara sends the party to inspect the loss in her profits in the unsanctioned assassination of the commanders. The priests of Hextor have already enacted their plan by the time the players reach Eastfair. They did not dispatch the commanders, but put them in unwakable slumber (Hextor doesn't want to slay good warriors). The party can reverse this by corking the amphora. Equally, they could enlist the help of the Magic Smith in Eastfair (Morrkend) to break the spell with various mechanical mundane items. The party would then have to fill his requests for items. This path would take more time and allow more of the people of the Barren Wastes and FellReeve to be scarred by war. The party accompanies the commanders to the battlefield in the Barren Wastes to somehow halt the progress of the bloodbath, now seeing Zuggtmoy as the basal cause of the evil besetting the Flanaess.
    9. Zuggtmoy – Felreeve Forest – The battleground
    a. Zuggtmoy, the demon queen of fungi, has manipulated the western countries of Flanaess, under the ancient instructions of Iggwilv, through Beltar, Hextor and Erythnul. Her goal is to cause massive destruction in the western 'good countries' and conflict between the Gods that may stand in Iggwilv's way, leaving behind a ferocious humanoid army bent on war to march on the East. She has been circulating rumors using fungi (commonly eaten by humanoids) amongst the humanoids that Keoland is the seat of power holding back their conquest of the Flanaess. In this way she hopes to weaken the west to a palpable conquest while severly wounding the powerful countries in the east. Having her plans confounded by the party, she confronts them on the battlefield in the barren wastes.
    b. Upon the defeat of Zuggtmoy, the armies become silent with their admiration of the party's defeat of the great demon, free of the spell caused by the Fungi. The party has the chance to convince the armies with the help of the commanders to reroute. If the party determines to not aid the commanders after their impressive victory, the party will have to fend off the Giants and the Barbarians until they retreat. | The commanders will return to eastfair to find Grenell with the whistling hammer through his chest, dead. Hextor has chosen a new ruler... | Savannah (the revered Old One)*, wounded during combat, leads the armies of Bone March home. | The demons summoned by Erythnul vanish and the Giants and Barbarians return to the mountains intent on causing havoc in the wounded west once again. Returning to Greyhawk, Mordenkainen is not satisfied that Zuggtmoy was the mastermind of this plan, but has no other explanations at this point. He agrees to keep a watchful eye while the party basks in their success.
    10. Vecna – Vault of the Drow, Underdark
    a. The Ebon Triad is seeking to merge Vecna himself with Hextor and Erythnul. To this end, they were gifted with a powerful weapon by one Hura (the weapon is the amphora). They believe that they can invoke a portion of Vecna's essence into the amphora, conjure Hextor and Erythnul, after gathering their highests priests, and merge them all by using the amphora. This will lead to an uprising of hoardes of warriors to overtake the lands loyal to Iuz, Saint Cuthbert, Pholtus and ultimately the Circle of Eight. They need the hand and the eye of Vecna to complete the initial ritual. While the hand is in possession of Darl Quethos (who escaped the Library of Last Resort), the eye is guarded by Akwaa Viyagraa and Ruthgar Goldenscale. Darl has heard of the amphora and seeks to destroy, once and for all, the Ebon Triad, a disgrace to the true followers of Vecna, and retrieve the amphora. In this, iggwilv hopes to disrupt the followers of Vecna, and trap Kyuss, allowing her the sole use of the chaos she is sowing.
    b. akwaa and Ruthgar approach Nyara with a plan to smoke out the Ebon Triad in the Underdark. They have found that Darl is planning a 'vacation' there - possibly drawn by the Ebon Triad's possession of some powerful weapon. They plan to attract the attention of both sides by announcing their presence and possession of the Eye of Vecna (not attached). Nyara - piecing together that this must be the location of an amphora, sends the party to aid Akwaa and Ruthgar. The underdark itself is rought with danger, and in the temple, the party finds the 'head' priests of Hextor and Erythnul and has the chance to release or kill them. The party is soon be beset by Darl himself attempting to claim all three artifacts. In the end, victory means the amphora becoming the amphora of Kyuss, unwittingly summoned by the Ebon Triad. Unfortunately, Kyuss has little to reveal other than the pure idiocracy of the Ebon Triad in their ridiculous plan to use the artifacts in a moronic way. Mordenkainen is beginning to understand that the amphoras respond to each other.
    11. Syrul – Hesuel Ilshar
    a. The followers of Syrul, long rooted in the Scarlet Brotherhood, have been guided by a priestess, Hura (possesed by iggwilv), to begin their long-standing plans of overtaking the Flanaess through covert hostile takeovers of the lands in northern Flanaess. They are meeting in Hesuel Ilshar to celebrate and finalize the organized Flanaess-wide coup. The final plans will be carried out as dictated by the smoke of the amphora of Syrul, beckoned by the prophet Hura. For iggwilv, this will implant people of questionable and evil intentions in the greatest goodi-good nations, making them more accessible for her future taking.
    b. Learning of assassinations that she is not being paid for, Nyara sends the party to put a stop to this little briefing. She has no intention of allowing this to continue without due process of employing the proper authorities on the matter. The players enter as the ceremony is taking place and are faced with stopping it then or waiting and eliminating exiting pre-ruling executioners. Either way, they must retrieve the amphora. Once back to Mordenkainen, the amphora will reveal the targeted countries, noting that they are the most powerful governments supporting the good.
    12. Nerull – Westkeep – Hold of the Sea Princes
    a. A new chef, Oscar, is on the scene. He is quickly becoming famous all over the Flanaess for his elegant dish "Eyescargot." His catering services come at a high price, only available generally to the highest nobility. Unbeknownst to all, he is a head priest of Nerull in diguise and his meal causes a long, slow-acting sickness that causes necrosis of the organs and joints. His poison comes from the amphora of Nerull, given to him by a beautiful woman named Tasha (iggwilv) which he keeps safely hidden away in his temple. Nerull hopes this will help to wipe out nobility in the realms to allow Syrul's (recently they met when the brotherhood overran the Hold of the Sea Princes) agents into their proper places among nobility, replacing them or otherwise.
    b. Finding out about the mass death from Nyara, pissed that she wasn't called for the contracts, the party traces it back to the eyescargot through Lord Henway (sidequest missing baby) being affected and other rumors. This leads them to Oscar at home for the celebration in Westkeep on midwinter's night. Killing Oscar and corking the amphora relieves the leaders of their poisoned states. The players can skip killing oscar, infiltrate his temple (full of priests) and steal the amphora, but Oscar will be hunting them for it at the behest of his lord Nerull. Nerull himself is stifled, but not too disappointed, he knows there will be business in the near future.
    13. Iuz – Dorakaa
    a. Weakened and back in the city of skulls, being thwarted for the second time in the Castle of Greyhawk, Iuz realizes that this is a weapon he needs to be using for himself! Then, ego-bruised and aggressive, he attempts to imprison Pelor (Sure - pick him!) in the Greyhawk Castle (luring Pelor by doing bad deeds, kidnapping his high priest and the fact that NO rediculous being would go back to the same place AGAIN), but it backlashes (of course), breaking the magical mechanisms (tuned to evil gods) of the trap and sending a magical reverse polarity burst far from the Castle. This sends a wave through the faint connection left after Iggwilv's simulacrum was defeated, fueling her to make her escape from the imprisonment of Grazzt. Iuz is split again. His amphora, a present sent from someone he does not know (Louhi - sent years ago - Iggwilv put a timed invisibility spell on the package in the messenger's office) that he never opened, was safely delivered in his home with his other half only a day before.
    b. Mordenkainen happens to know the delivery guys. The players must infiltrate the City of Skulls and retrieve Iuz's amphora, potentially still unopened. Thievery and espionnage are one way to obtain the early birthday gift. Fighting their way through Iuz's strongest supporters is another, more bones for the road, but will cause Iuz to be closer to home, giving him an opportunity to feel the faint essence of himself somewhere. Either way, they fight orcish Iuz high preist Ne-Man Prin-za-dum who (NEE-man PRIN-zah-DOOM) "CALL(S) UPON THE POWER OF HIS!-SKULL!' (with a giant skull being the top to Iuz's palace-cheesy, but missed). Returning this amphora to 'mordenkainen' causes him, upon examination of the contents, to reveal himself as Zagyg. Zagyg was certain that Iuz was behind this and that this would be the last amphora. Considering that Iuz is trapped in the amphora, this cannot be, but Zagyg is puzzled as to who could be behind this. Fearing the worst that he will not tell the players, Zagyg locks himself away in his castle hoping to unlock the mystery of the creation of the amphoras.
    14. Tharizdun – Diamond Lake
    a. The Blackthorne cultists of Tharizdun are the ones who originally created the amphora as a way for their master to project himself out of his prison. The amphora was not powerful enough, and a young woman named Louhi convinced them that making twelve more would increase the power to the 13th and allow their lord to be freed. Now the cultists are expanding their original vision, under the advisement of Louhi (iggwilv), into a new vessel called 'The Netherark'. The Netherark will use the power of the remnants of dieties in the other twelve amphoras (secretly connected) to release from his prison Tharizdun into the Netherark. Louhi has instructed the cultists to make this Netherark impenetrable so as to better protect their Lord when he arrives and allow him to work his great evil from it undisturbed. Little known to the cultists, this is part of Louhi's (iggwilv's) plan to harness the power of the dark diety, secured and trapped once again in the Netherark, to use for her own rise to power in the land of Flanaess.
    b. The citizens noticed an increase in dark creature activity some time ago. Relieved that the evil seemed to be subsiding (as the PC's have been corking amphoras), the citizens were shocked at now being overrun by the forces of evil. The paladins of Pelor suspect a rise of Tharizdun is at hand and have amassed an army of Paladins to protect Diamond Lake and find the evil temple that must be located somewhere within the area. Caught unawares, Nyara urges the PC's to join the army, worried that this is a sign of an unknown amphora. While the army of paladins fights the swarms of evil in Diamond Lake, they find what they were looking for, a secret temple of Tharizdun. The party is beseeched to enter the temple and end the center of the swarms of evil. The Paladin army cannot afford to sacrifice the men needed to do the job. The party must infiltrate the temple where they find the first amphora and learn of the existence of a final - 13th - amphora. Corking Tharizdun's amphora strengthens the connections between the amphoras.
    15. Zagyg – Greyhawk Castle Ruins
    a. The party must crack the wards Zagyg has put in place to study the amphoras. He will not be disturbed and cannot be contacted, so the party must take the newest amphora to him.
    b. After making their way through the castle, the party shows the new amphora to Zagyg. He has identified a connection between the amphoras and is able to direct them to what should be the last - 13th - amphora. He knows not what diety may lie in this amphora, but he can give the party an exact location, in Saltmarsh, in an orphanage? Zagyg is convinced that this will be the final key to identifying the culprit. He must remain in his castle, however, to be certain that the power of the other amphoras is contained.
    16. Grazzt – Saltmarsh – Orphanage
    a. While imprisoned with Grazzt, Iggwilv convinced one of his own that gifting him with an amphora she personally retrieved from a cult of Tharizdun (rumored for incredibly powerful artifacts) would win his favor. Flattered by this gift, Grazzt accepted it, keeping it close to iggwilv to rub in the fact that he had an item of such power that she could not obtain. When the backlash released iggwilv, she trapped Grazzt in the amphora. Horrified by her deceit, the traitor grabbed the amphora and disappeared to hide Grazzt in a safe place until she could ascertain a way to free him. Iggwilv, unable to locate the amphora she so needed, returned to the Flanaess to look for it or another amphora which she knew would lead her to Grazzt once again.
    b. Zagyg leads the players to the location of Grazzt's amphora. The orphanage is actually a plan to corrupt the children of the Flanaess into savage evil adults who will eventually bring havok and evil to all of the Flanaess. The party must infiltrate the orphanage cult and retrieve the amphora to return it to Zagyg. When returned to Zagyg, he has discovered the whole of the evil plans enacted by Iggwilv. A contingency plan, formed in the case of her capture. She set about simulacrums and allies to spread the amphoras and allow her to return to the Flanaess as a goddess. Man, she must be pissed that the party has put such a dent in her plans. Left only with the choices of finding her or her finding them, the party must now seek Iggwilv to put her down for good. Unbeknownst to the party, an orphan from the cult has followed them, and uncorks the amphora, freeing a very angry Grazzt to fight the party. Grazzt, when defeated, agrees through gritted teeth to help the party find Iggwilv.
    17. Iggwilv – Iggwilv’s Horn
    a. Iggwilv, realizing that she was betrayed by the simple follower of Grazzt, decides to set a beacon only Grazzt would recognize. Knowing his need for vengeance, she lures the party to her, hoping they would have the amphoras. Zagyg was her teacher, after all, and knows better than to be that foolish. Sensing that the amphora of Grazzt is coming closer, she readies her sanctuary for the arrival of the party. Unfortunately for her, it is not the amphora, but Grazzt himself, with the Netherark in tow. She quickly sends Grazzt away, knowing what she does of moving him here or there, and the party is left to face her alone.
    b. The final Battle! Everybody sends Iggwilv into the very prison she had planned for Tharizdun.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:10 am  

Give me some time to digest this and I may have a suggestion or two.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:59 pm  

Hmm, that is long, and complicated. I take it you are running it in 4E, is that correct?

Starting a new campaign is always tough. There is a lot of prep work, themes to consider, plots for the villains to hatch, amongst other things. The best campaigns happen when players, and their characters, begin to take charge. The most difficult campaign style, and what it looks like to me you are doing, is the campaign where the DM must generate everything. What I mean by that is you are creating the impetus for the PCs to adventure, their motivations, everything. Directing the PCs where to go next takes away any sense of ownership the players may have for their characters. I suggest that you assist your players in creating a character that speaks to them and has real, defined motivations.

Personally, I prefer campaigns that start small, or I use a module of some kind. The one I like the most is ToEE. Another one I really like is Against the Giants. I like them because these are enormous modules which really dominate the lands they are set in. In some way or another the PCs are drawn in. These modules also allow for a great degree of plots to be developed as well.

I see campaigns as something that is constantly being created. There is no set plot, only what the players do next. Its my job to create the world in a way that is cool for them.

Those are my thoughts, hope they were of help

The Grey Mouser
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:00 pm  

Forgot one thing: Its a game, if you're not having fun then you aren't doing it right!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:35 am  

I agree with you GreyMouser, but there is nothing wrong with having a long running plot line that the characters are constantly drawn into. I put out a dozen hooks and allow the players to choose which one that interests them but all the hooks play back to my overall plot line for their campaign.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:52 am  

The one thing I would suggest is to not be too caught on any one detail. Your players can and should derail at least one or two of your plot hooks without ever coming in direct contact with them. Players do that, especially mine. Just general words to live by. What I managed to read before I spaced (WAY too little sleep in the past week) looked good, but make sure and don't put so much forethought in you railroad your players. Looks good so far, more comments as I read more :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:26 pm  

Thanks for all the comments! I don't plan to force them through a series of quests, I just want to provide a structure of things they can find, if they want to, like a backbone to give them setting and a world where things are happening. I'm sometimes an overly-prepared DM. It has worked well through the first part so far, they took surprising turns leading them away from the original plot for a time, hooking them into a sidequest based off of one of the character's backstory and creating connections that can be used in the main story line or elsewhere. I am running this for several players who have never played before, so some of them need some goading and direction. Many of them are avid video game players and have so far looked for hints into quests and sidequests. I like to have something for them no matter what direction they decide on. The first session, I unrolled my map of the Flanaess, told them this is where they were, and let them pick where to go from there. Based on what they did, that's where I have come up with the story line I have here. I especially wanted to make sure that I wasn't screwing up the basis behind the plot line, I do want to make it reasonable in the time and place settings.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:36 pm  

Sounds like a good plan. I also like to listen to my players, it is amazing how they know my style and speculate on how and what is going on behind the scenes. I listen and generate ideas from their "speculations". Player's come up with some amazing plot lines based on their perception of what they see and hear. I blend their "speculations" with some of my own and then insert the campaign plot line. I find that as long as you stay flexible you should be alright.

And as GreyMouser said, "as long as everyone is having fun...."
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:01 pm  

First Question is how old are your gamers?

The next question is more food for thought-How to explain why the older gods such as Istus, Pelor, or even Wee jas wont be eyeing the plans of a demoness trying to earn godhood and wont be haveing saints or even deva's come bargeing in and throwing a monkey wrench in them. Because your throwing in alot of names and stepping on alot of toes with your plot line. Most gods will not be happy with your heros bargeing into temples and holy sites, chances are once the dust clears your heros will be cursed to the end of time or on a saints hit list. Even if they are fake ones or real ones no god wants to look played or foolish. You lose worshippers like that.
    Plus Grazzt is a crafty old demon hisself and if she can do it why cant he?

But then again in the words of Jack Burton "We really shook the pillars of heaven didnt we". Sounds like a grand fun time the kind of campaign you can sit around and bring back fond memories of.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 am  

The gamers are mid 20's to mid 30's.

You make a really good point that I have been considering as I am fleshing out the plot motivations more. I think, for this plotline, I am focusing on hapless priests that are generally not highly regarded by the main churches to their gods, perhaps even shunned (eg - Ebon Triad). The people who would be easy prey to a manipulator like Iggwilv.

Also, I'm thinking that as it is a contingency plan, Iggwilv is not actively conducting these things in the present time. She has distributed the amphoras long ago, planned this whole possibility long before her capture by Grazzt. The dieties may not heed the actions of centuries ago as being connected initially.

Finally, in the end, I feel like the majority of the dieties will find out about the idiotic actions of their mislead worshippers as the players cork the amphoras and return in the final battle to help them put down Iggwilv for good. Part of the plot point is that the dieties are angered by the events and evil will end up helping the good PC's or close to it.

I am working with a lot of established names, thus the reason I need help. I have done the best to identify with the characters based on the research I have done, any ideas on how I may have missed the mark are of the utmost help to me.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:59 pm  

Hmmmm rereading the only possible flaw I can see is your use of tharizdun. According to canon it took a united effort of all deities in oerth's universe to imprison him. I'm sure she's not foolish enough to think she can on her own. The only other suggestion is to make any priest or paladins in the party lawful good or neutral good that way when the amphora's are exposed as evil it'll be more personal for them to track and cork them, say a priest or paladin of Pholtus or such.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:19 am  

excellent! I was wondering about that -

So then, what about changing the tharizdun section into simply a plot advancement - a false lead, finding out where the amphoras came from, and (letting iggwilv to be smart enough to recreate the others), if the characters are interested, stopping them from creating a "Netherark". Maybe Iggwilv could be smart enough to know (or make sure) the Netherark would fail, protecting her own power from usurpment by goading the cultists, and creating a plan for anyone pursuing the amphoras to be killed in a horrible explosion or something. - Is that too much of a reach?

Also, I have no paladins. One corellion cleric and a fighter who has pledged his life to horace. The party as a whole has clearly demonstrated their willingness to pursue this quest, do you think its a storyline that promotes giving up unless I use more hooks?

At this point I have realized that the way I described the adventures was too similar and I am incorporating some variations on reaching the goals (to not make it, 'get to the temple and cork the amphora' 13 times in a row). I would like for there to be a sea battle for getting raxivort's amphora and a wagon/land transport (maybe large beasts of burden or dragons) chase somewhere as well as a good excercise in outgambling a den of thieves.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:18 pm  

Personally I would use the netherark as a smoke screen come up with a plot say to release an evil being or something. Maybe the netherark holds someone already and by destroying or deactivateing it causes a release instead of a big boom.

The storyline is fine just would be easier if you had a pc with zeal is all, makes it so you wouldnt need as many hooks. The fighter of horace would be an easy jump to paladin actually. Horace allows his pally's to be chaotic good by 1st edition rules mind you.

Actually was thinking of this last night instead of tharizdun you could rewrite to say Orcus trap him and gain control of his wand she would have control of the death knights. Be an elite force for her world domination scheme. Saint Kargoth in nothing to sneeze at even without gorgon.

Also your idea of an npc saying its here or there might get tiresome on the pc's, they might starting asking "oh how do you know?" go with magical item to seek out and locate them. That way they wont suspect anything, it'll seem they are needed to get the items instead of a powerful mage sending them on an errand he/she doesnt want to get.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:20 pm  

All definitely good points...I really love the Orcus idea! Excellent and relevant! Tharizdun is so importent though! Not to my campaign necessarily, but to the setting. I like the idea of some other cult using the identity to help themselves...

so about the NPC being the here or there, what about having a couple of situations where the NPC is overtaken or betrayed, allowing the party to support her or not...like Cid in FFIX or something.

My problem at this point is providing, like you are suggesting, a hook for the adventurers themselves, not based on a mission basis. I was hoping to work that in as ties to their background. Example: a dragonborne in my party had his mountain town attacked by dwarves - the dwarves are being anticipated in Irongate, but the actual perpetrators live in Spinecastle. The PC's could be drawn there at the behest of the NPC or the sidequest for the PC.

Is that off the mark? Horribly rail-roading?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:25 am  

Well Tharizdun is always there hes just in the shadows is all, the idea of a npc being betrayed is a good one, if you go with it try to force the pc's into the situation so they make the call to help or flee.

Thats a good idea for the hook, its always easier to draw the pc's in if they feel like the history of their characters has impact on the game.
    A real good idea and one i use in my games-They write their characters history for a starting xp bonus and I constantly use their backgrounds on how to justify actions and to draw them into adventure. And woe to the pc who tells me I'll let you come up with mine because it usually begins with "You grew up in the local church of pelor or saint cuthbert." Then that allows me to throw lost parents or family into the mix and that evil uncle who turns out to be an anti-paladin who becomes a foe for a long time. Matter as fact I ran a game loosely based on the Fifth element where the entire party (8 members) were all orphans and it came to light all were related even with 1 being a time traveler sent back by a druidic council to help stop the evil being. But something like that takes alot of preparation.
    So as far as it being rail-roading no I would call it a gentle nudge. But then again most of my players say the dm screen makes me the enemy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:45 am  

hahaha! My players discreetly move the screen from the table while I am getting things ready! Now it causes a slight look of panic when I pull it out for certain situations.

I did the background thing too. They all came up with some good fodder for plot hooks. I've got mercenary attacks, a villian who cut off someone's foot, a disbanded circus and a prison stay. Good stuff, no one had a pleasant childhood.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: