Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Help a Greyhawk artist out...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Help a Greyhawk artist out...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:02 am  
    Help a Greyhawk artist out...

Hey everyone, some of you have seen a few of my doodles in the "welcome" forum and I'm about to start on a new drawing involving a Fire Giant on top of a rock outcropping throwing a rock (small boulder, actually) down on some adventurers in a shallow ravine.

My question.....if you were a wizard and you had a boulder coming down towards you, which spell would you cast? "Shield" doesn't seem like it would pack enough "umph" to stop a small boulder. I'm wanting to depict a wizard (or even a cleric if they have a spell that could be portrayed artistically to be able to hault a rock) stopping the giant's assault.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Heck, if you can think of a cooler party response to the giant's boulder chucking, I'm all ears.

Thanks again!
    Master Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:09 am  

Just off the top of my head...

The mage might opt for a magic missile since it hits automatically and can be cast quickly. Provided the DM and/or rules allow for it, this might cause the giant to drop his rock or otherwise ruin his attack.

Failing that, a shield spell is not a bad option - if nothing else it would make a decent picture. Otherwise, Bigby's Interposing Hand might work, or perhaps Protection from Arrows (which would reduce the damage caused by the attack).

But, provided the circumstances will permit it, it seems to me the best option would be to use a wall of force, stone, or iron to stop the attack completely and provide the whole party with cover.

But that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are some tactical geniuses around here who might be able to come up with a better solution.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:14 am  

*In reference to JHSII's post...

If you've got a suggestion for a spell, the character I draw casting the spell will be whatever level that character would need to be to cast it.

Now, I'd be more concerned with the casting time of the spell, because I want people to look at it and go, "oh, he or she is casting a ______, and that works because he/she could cast that within the time frame that he/she would have to do so if he/she saw a fire giant picking up a rock and was in the process of hurling it towards said M-U."

So, in turn, level doesn't matter too much...at least visually, as opposed to the reality of casting time for the spell in question.

Hope that makes sense. Smile

**And good suggestions, bubbagump! Thanks! The Bigsby's Interposing Hand sounds kinduv cool....(goes to read it in his PHB. Wink )

In the pic, I'll have the Fire Giant already in mid-throw, so the small boulder will already be out of the giant's hands and traveling towards the M-U/party.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:39 am  

I'm rusty on how it works in old-school AD&D, but I do know that in Castles and Crusades, the Protection from Normal Missiles spell does pretect against *one* large-scale attack before disappearing, with the examples being ballista attacks, catapults, or boulders thrown by giants...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:58 am  

Bubba sorta beat me to it with his Bigby's Hand suggestion although I was thinking a Bigby's Grasping Hand actually grabbing the stone in mid-air. Visually I think it would look pretty cool, and mechanically I think it could work.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:55 am  

I'd be tempted to go for disintigrate, a thin green ray hitting the boulder, perhaps showing it halfway though the disintigration process or turning into a dust cloud perhaps?
    The various "Hand" spells are potentially cool, but they would be prone to a Green lantern comparison.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:56 am  

Question is,would the mage have time to cast and ready the spell components in time,if it we're me,i'd probably cast mirror-image on myself and wish everyone else the best of luck,maybe even cast a blindness spell on the giant in hopes that he could'nt see what he was aiming at.
    A featherfall spell cast on the stone beforehand might also be a good idea
    but seeing that effect in a painting/drawing would'nt make much sense.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:30 am  

Casting times aside,i don't think level is a primary concern if the spellcaster is using a scroll/wand instead of a memorized spell,now it probably would'nt be as potent due to having a lower level,but still effective nontheless.If scroll use was'nt included in the newer rules (3rd,3.5 and 4th.) i couldn't honestly tell you,since i never bothered to play those editions aside from the PC version of ToEE.
    Personally for me,i think it would be better suited to let the fighters pick off the giant from the front and have the spellcaster lob magic missles and lighting bolts from behind the ranks.And as an even quirkier idea would be to try catching the boulder with a bag of holding.might not be too believeable,but it seems to have the old 1st edition spirit in mind,i would think.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:05 am  

I appreciate all the responses...thanks!

Just to make this a little easier....I didn't really lay out all the info that I should have,...my bad.

-The illustration will be in b&w...no colors.

-The chucking of the small boulder will be in mid-throw. So it's got a good second or so before impact, as the distance between the giant's hands and the M-U is not that great (I've only got so much drawing space to do this in. Wink )

-Level of the M-U doesn't matter....if you give me a spell that'll work AND look cool, then I'll use that spell and the M-U would just have to be of at least the level that it would require for him or her to cast it.

-In my mind's eye, the Fire Giant has already made his presence noted before he chucked the rock, so casting time doesn't have to be instantaneous, but would still need to be within a round, I would say. I'm going to have the Fire Giant's sword leaning on a tree, so in my head, I see him as already grunting at the party, they get up, ready themselves for battle as the giant puts his sword up against a tree and looks around for a nice size throwing rock, finds one...then he turns around, looking down in the ravine where the party is scrambling and chucks it. The drawing will catch that moment where the rock is in mid-air.

-I'm not against "Green Lantern" images. Laughing If the Bigsby's Hand spell looks like that, which I can see how it would, then so be it. At least it wouldn't be coming from a ring with a lantern carved in it. Wink

-I'll also have a couple of other characters doing various things. Probably a dwarf and a female something or other.

Thanks again, fellas.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:49 pm  

Well this is a tough one being in B&W,but i would say for your M-U would be casting a transmute rock to mud,mybee have the boulder starting too "drip" mud.I'll look for it on the next monster manual cover. Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:18 pm  

Nice!

I've gone ahead and gotten started on the pic and I think I've come to a decision to use Bigby's Grasping Hand for the spell.

I'll be sure to post the doodle once it's done.

Thanks for all the input, everyone!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:20 pm  

Theres always the wall spells or telekinesis.

In my experience as a dm and player the mage would most likely cast dimension door up say 200 ft. then cast featherfall or fly then go on the offensive.

Theres also the fact if the dm's nice to said mage and he can cast 4th level spells he'll have stoneskin up and running.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:41 pm  

well..i would teleport me away...you know, is not that dificult to find another group!

Laughing
    Master Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:24 pm  
    Glad's artwork, and a forum ...

Glad, your stuff is always looking great. i love the "retro" style of all of it.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:00 pm  

Bigby's INTERPOSING Hand. Try to resist the urge to make it look like a catcher's mitt. Laughing

He's got a hand for all occasions. I'm just going to leave that one alone.

Wink

The art sounds a little bit "The Gauntlet"-ish.

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 pm  

Fabrication. Now he's throwing sand at you.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:01 am  

Glad you should have specified which edition iof the D&D rules you
    prefer.

That said here's are my candidate spells:

Shield - 1st level spell - creates an invisible, tower shield-sized mobile disk of force that hovers in front of you. It gives +4 to AC in 3E.

Feather Fall - 1st level spell - agreat choice, but for the art it would be quite hard to depict. It has a faster casting tiome than all others, but it only protects from attacks for the round it is cast (though possibly against several thrown objects).

Protection from normal missiles - 2nd level spell - in 3E this absorbs 10 points of damage per non-magical missile attack, a hill giants thrown rock does 2d6+7 damage, so the wizard will probably still take some damage. I'm not sure how it was handled in 2E.

(Otiluke's) Resilient Sphere - 4th level spell - A globe of shimmering force encloses a creature. Nothing can move into or out of the sphere for the whole duration or until it is dismissed by the caster. - a name-spell and thus very iconic. Otiluke himself is a Greyhawk resident and member of the circle of 8. If you chose to depict him, ask for a description. Of course other wizards could have learned the spell too...

Wall of Force - 5th level spell - flat, vertical plane with large area, not shapable into a dome in 3E. (I'm not sure if it could in 1E/2E.)

Wall of Stone - 5th level spell- can be shaped as wished, but must be anchored to the ground/walls

Wall of Ice - 4th level spell- can be shaped into a hemisphere, has 3hp per caster level, so it will hold against a few stones only. A typical hill giant could break through it with a Strength check 25% or less of the time, a frost giant has a higher chance even. OTOH it will look great.
    all casting times are 1 standard action in 3E.

Otiluke's Sphere would be my choice. And then why not depict the inventor Otiluke himself.

Here's a link to the GH Wiki entry for Otiluke. There's a great picture of Otiluke and detailed 2E stats in the adventure module Vecna Lives!. Oerth Journal #7 has a version of The House on Summoner's Court[/url] which has a description of Otiluke, known bits of his history and his personality.

Otiluke's spells are found in the PHB and in the Greyhawk Adventures hardback. Otiluke bases a number of his creations on spheres/orbs/bubbles or screens mixed with elemental forces. Rasgon wrote this great post on Otiluke's creation of a monster by crossbreeding monkeys and wasps. It sheds some light on his character.

Last edited by Thanael on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:08 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Bigby's INTERPOSING Hand. Try to resist the urge to make it look like a catcher's mitt. Laughing

He's got a hand for all occasions. I'm just going to leave that one alone.

Wink

The art sounds a little bit "The Gauntlet"-ish.

That's another good candidate. Info on Bigby can also be found in LGJ0, the Greyhawk Adventures hardback, and Vecna Lives!. Bigby is also depicted on the cover of LGJ0.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:45 am  

I hadn't even thought about the cover to the "Gauntlet" module, Cebrion....good call. My layout is a bit different than the ol' Gauntlet cover, as mine will only have one Fire Giant, but I can see why you brought it up. If I remember correctly, there were like 3 or so Fire Giants on a rock throwing rocks down on....something? (Goes to check out the cover online.) Ahhhh, looks like one Fire Giant, a couple of orcs or ogres, and a couple hellhounds. A painting done to make it look as if the viewer of the pic is going to be the recipient of the rock. Cool.

Here's my early roughs of the Fire Giant...

And yeah, I think a fan art forum would be great. I always enjoy seeing other artists interpretations of the D&D world. The idea definitely gets two thumbs up from me, for what it's worth.

Back to the ol' drawing board....
    GreySage

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:24 am  

Looking good, Glad! Happy

Eagerly awaiting the finished product! Evil Grin

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:10 pm  

Looking good,if you ever need help with some stick figure's just give me a call. Smile
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:26 am  

Various off-topic posts removed. Stick to the topic at hand please.

A gallery has been talked about for a very long time, and is very likely to happen "soon-ish". See HERE for gallery discussion.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:21 pm  

JHSII wrote:
    Glad27 wrote:

In the pic, I'll have the Fire Giant already in mid-throw, so the small boulder will already be out of the giant's hands and traveling towards the M-U/party.

At most a segment or two then - best bet would be shield or mirror image. If he cast it while the giant was picking up the rock, then no problem. If he waited until the giant was throwing I'd probably have him make a saving throw first to see if he could finish the spell in time.
    A spell with a casting time longer than 2 segments he'd probably never be able to get off.

Brian, you could work around this limitation by showing another boulder or two in the area of the PCs---perhaps with a crushed PC or henchman or pack mule or somesuch under it---which would indicate that multiple rounds of combat had already happened. The MU could easily have had time to get off a higher-level- or longer-casting-time spell then.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:39 pm  

Good advice, Allan.

As per usual for me when I sit down to tackle a new drawing, as I'm laying down the roughs, other ideas will start to spring up as I go along and the idea that I started off with starts morphing into something completely different.

That's happened with this one. Smile

Initially it was going to be a straight ahead drawing of a Fire Giant attacking a party down in a ravine. Now, the ravine has turned into a hot spring pool....a hot spring pool that our party has decided to relax themselves in while all of their gear is layed in piles on rocks while they take a dip. I decided to have the bathing M-U leaning on a rock as the boulder is coming down on him and him just firing off a simple magic missle spell that'll be shown breaking up the bottom portion of the rock. (I'll leave it up to the viewer of the piece, once it's done, to decide on whether they think the M-U gets off more magic missles before any significant portion of the boulder lands on him. Evil Grin

The other members of the bathing party will be in various depictions of either attacking the giant or scrambling for their weapons.
    GreySage

Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:43 pm  

Demonic, Glad, absolutely demonic! Evil Grin

Literally caught with their pants down! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 am  

Hmmm. A bunch of adventurers taking a casual dip in the hot spring, eh? Kinda makes you wonder what those chainmail-bikini-wearing ladies use for a bathing suit when they're out in the wilderness. Seeing as they wear so little even when fully clothed, one has to think....

Aw, nevermind. I really have too much free time today.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:08 am  

bubbagump wrote:
    Kinda makes you wonder what those chainmail-bikini-wearing ladies use for a bathing suit when they're out in the wilderness.

Chainmail micro bikinis of of course.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:37 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:
    Kinda makes you wonder what those chainmail-bikini-wearing ladies use for a bathing suit when they're out in the wilderness.

Chainmail micro bikinis of of course.

or chain mail brazilian bikinis

:P
    GreySage

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:41 am  

Its little details like this that really make the story come alive though. I mean, "we" have our characters "drink and wench," but do we ever have them doing something like this? How about someting simple, like actually eating? Confused

I mean go through the motions, have them "talk" their way through setting up camp and gathering wood, they'll want to argue with you of course: "We aren't here for this! Let's kill something!" Evil Grin

All the while unbeknowest to then, something IS creeping up! They're so distracted by "setting up camp" -- or arguing with you about it -- they are caught completely unawares -- just like Glad's picture! Happy Cool

Just how often does this really happen in real life? You're behind the tree/car and someone walks up unexpectedly. Hopefully, it isn't a mugger! Shocked

Great work, Glad! Great idea! I look forward to more. Cool

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:01 am  

Two spells that I'd love to see, but I think would be very difficult if not just impossible to do in a picture:

Giant flings the rock and the Mage transmutes it to Mud in mid throw. The party is undamaged but very, very dirty as a result.

Giant flings the rock and the Mage interposes himself in the way. Just as the rock reaches him he finishes casting a hasty Shrink Item and the boulder shrinks to 1/25th its size and take on the consistancy of fabric at the same time it hit him. The Mage casually pockets the converted boulder for later use.

The easiest to draw would probably be any of the Wall or Bigby spells. More difficult would be a disintigrate, fabricate, telekinisis, or other spell showing the Mage actively dealing with the boulder in mid flight. Some of the comics like X-men would probably give a good idea of how the action of telekinetically deflecting or disintegrating an object in mid air could be drawn.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:07 am  

Glad27 wrote:
    our party has decided to relax themselves in while all of their gear is layed in piles on rocks while they take a dip. I decided to have the bathing M-U leaning on a rock as the boulder is coming down on him and him just firing off a simple magic missle spell that'll be shown breaking up the bottom portion of the rock.

Have him with a drink (complete with little umbrella) in one hand, leaning back all composed and casual while he telekinetically deflects the boulder. Kind of a bored 'this is so beneath me' expression on his face.

Off to one side his imp familiar is busy mixing the next round of drinks for the party Razz
    GreySage

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:11 am  

I don't know much about the various "rules" systems, but having played a Sorcerer/Wizard my whole "career," I wouldn't venture to take a "bath" with having cast Alacrity first -- any number of spells would then be readily available for this emergency. Happy

I think the suggested Transmutation spell would be funniest, and I believe that Gald has the artistic skill to do it and do it well. But maybe he's too far along now to change it. It would be nice though, and funny; freshly bathed adventurers newly covered in mud! Evil Grin

Do it Glad! Cool

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:00 am  

Sorry guys....great ideas, one and all, but alas...I'm too far gone at this point to change it to something like the "transmute rock to mud" spell, but it was definitely a very cool idea.

Here's a couple "along the way" quick pics I took with my dinosaur of a camera. The female elf readying her bow is a tad blurry, but you get the gist of where she'll be placed. I've still got a long way to go....rocks and foliage always takes a good while to do halfway decent.

Thanks again for the interest!
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:05 am  

a little off topic, i know, but i would love to see a flame strike!

not so usefull against a fire giant, though , ehehe
    GreySage

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:06 am  

Is that the Giant's foot I see above her, to the right? She's under the ledge, below him? Confused

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:14 am  

whats the spell the MU is casting?
    GreySage

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:54 am  

I think he suggested Magic Missile, but I could be wrong. Wink

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:17 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Is that the Giant's foot I see above her, to the right? She's under the ledge, below him? Confused

Yeah...if you look at the Fire Giant pic, you can see her head down in the lower lefthand corner.

And Mystic-Scholar has it right, rossik....magic missle is what the M-U is casting.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:55 am  

Correction....magic missiles don't affect inanimate objects.....lightning bolt it is!
    GreySage

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:41 am  

I will "re-suggest" that if the magician has cast Alacrity -- before his bath -- he could respond to the attack with just about anything. Cool

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:38 am  

I figured since the lightning bolt spell affects living and non-living objects equally, it would work for busting up a small boulder. It would take the M-U 18 seconds to cast the spell (which isn't too bad) and it requires actual components (unlike the magic missile spell) so I added those to his hand.

*I've also added a dwarf wrestling with a hellhound on the bank of the spring. Evil Grin
    GreySage

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:42 am  

The dwarf/hell hound addition sounds really good. Cool

Just don't forget the shrapnel from that Lightning Bolt meets Boulder thing! Evil Grin

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:21 pm  

Glad27 wrote:
    I figured since the lightning bolt spell affects living and non-living objects equally, it would work for busting up a small boulder. It would take the M-U 18 seconds to cast the spell (which isn't too bad) and it requires actual components (unlike the magic missile spell) so I added those to his hand.

*I've also added a dwarf wrestling with a hellhound on the bank of the spring. Evil Grin

Standing in a pool of water. Soaking wet. Casting a lightning bolt.

Gotta love D&D. Laughing

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:59 am  

man, every new update makes the pícture looks more cool!

one question:
    if the lightning bolt have certain distance to run, wouldnt it come back to the mage?
    or it would go anywere, till it completes its range?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:13 am  

Depends. They rebound off of anything they don't blow through, so the bolt could be glancing off of the rock at a different angle. It doesn't have to bounce back towards the caster.

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:31 am  

The Fire Giant's sword is just sitting there, nose to the ground and sticking up like a big ol'.....lightning rod.

Then again, there is another human character that I haven't shown on here yet, at the bottom of the pic, that's getting up out of the pool to grab his sword off of a rock. Shocked

*Then again, the bolt will probably bust right through that rock and hit the giant, in all of his nice metallic armor.

I'll leave it up to the viewers to decide. Wink
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:03 am  

Glad27 wrote:

*Then again, the bolt will probably bust right through that rock and hit the giant, in all of his nice metallic armor.

now, THAT would be cool!!!!

hey glad, wheres the halfling in trouble? Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:57 am  

He's being held underwater, out of view, by a water weird. Wink
    GreySage

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:15 am  

A Fire Giant and hell hound, but a water weird? Fire & Water rather than Fire vs Water; are they attacking in conjunction? Or is this a coincidental thing? Confused

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:29 am  

I was just kidding about the water weird, MS.
    Wink
    No halfling in this party.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:29 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    A Fire Giant and hell hound, but a water weird? Fire & Water rather than Fire vs Water; are they attacking in conjunction? Or is this a coincidental thing? Confused

well, since the heroes are in a thermal water pool, theres must be some volcanoes or something around
    GreySage

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:47 am  

Understood Glad. Happy

Merely pointing out that fire and water are naturally opposed, Rossik. It would be a curious and extraordinary thing if they were found fighting together as allies. Wink

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:15 am  

That would be a different, but cool scenario, MS. "The most deadly dipping pool in all the land." Evil Grin

*As an aside...this drawing is taking fooooorever. Rocks and foliage...ugh.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Understood Glad. Happy

Merely pointing out that fire and water are naturally opposed, Rossik. It would be a curious and extraordinary thing if they were found fighting together as allies. Wink

oops, sorry, i didnt get the "water weird" part..
    hey glad, thats why my drawings character are always floating in space, ehhehee
    GreySage

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:02 am  

Glad27 wrote:
    *As an aside...this drawing is taking fooooorever. Rocks and foliage...ugh.

I have no doubt Glad. But your efforts on our behalf are greatly appreciated. Never under estimate that. Happy

In fact, I'm one of the contributors Icarus spoke of. I'd love to see what you could "make" of my short stories, but that's not a request, but an intention to show you how much I personally like your work.

Keep it up!

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:06 pm  

Thanks, MS...I'm glad you like my stuff. It's much appreciated.

*Here's another quick update on the dwarf/hell hound part of the drawing.

GreySage

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:23 pm  

Mmmmm! Bar-be-qued Dwarf! I had forgotten that hell hounds "cook" their dinner! Laughing

Did your own avatar I bet! Cool

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:42 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Mmmmm! Bar-be-qued Dwarf! I had forgotten that hell hounds "cook" their dinner! Laughing

Did your own avatar I bet! Cool

The dwarf looks like the one having dinner. Wink

And yeah, the avatar is from the "Entering Acererak's Tomb" pic I last did. I just cropped the dwarf's head out of it.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:52 pm  

love the hell hound!

i dont like the skinny one from 2ed MM.

so, the dwarf quit "bitting the stirge"?

........OMG!
    dont you say that the halfing is underwater, and thats why we cant see him? Cry Cry Cry
    GreySage

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:39 pm  

Glad simply hasn't drawn in the Dwarf's 'thought' panel yet:

(*Bite the stirge you $%#@&*)

Evil Grin

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:04 pm  

Brian---make the dwarf nude, and give him some arm/leg/chest hair Happy (and with a slight shift, you can use the hellhound's flame breath to hide his genitals too).

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:34 am  

grodog wrote:
    Brian---make the dwarf nude, and give him some arm/leg/chest hair Happy (and with a slight shift, you can use the hellhound's flame breath to hide his genitals too).

Laughing ...dwarf perversion!

*He's definitely gonna get some hairs drawn on his arms and legs. We can't have a freshly waxed dwarf on here, now can we?!!! That just wouldn't be very dwarf'ish.
    GreySage

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:00 am  

Yeah, given that even the females have beards, I don't think a "waxed" dwarf is going to cut the mustard. Laughing

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:11 am  

...unless hes a professional swimer! rolleyes
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:02 am  

If I would have drawn the scene minus the Fire Giant and hell hound and, instead, had the dwarf doing syncronized swimming in the pool....would you have held it against me? Evil Grin
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:58 pm  

grodog wrote:

....chestnuts roasting on an open fire....
    GreySage

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:27 pm  

Varthalon wrote:
    ...chestnuts roasting on an open fire....

Wait a minute! You mean Jack Frost is hiding in there with the water weird? Shocked

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:53 pm  

Never take a dip in an outside pool when a Fire Giant and his pet are around...

GreySage

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:50 pm  

Nice work Glad, as always. Cool

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:58 am  

i like the wizards "gangster look"

awesome work, love the perspective!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:21 pm  

Thanks, fellas...I appreciate it.

Getting ready to start something with "Gnolls & Trolls"...and, of course, an unlucky party. Wink
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:32 pm  

rossik wrote:
    i like the wizards "gangster look"

awesome work, love the perspective!

Yeah, the wizard puts me in mind of Bored-Flak from Fineous Fingers. He wore shades and had a little sight on the end of his finger for aiming.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:33 pm  

Looking really nice. Cool

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:05 pm  

Very nice, Brian! My only complaint is that the hell-hound-generated steam looks like it's holding up the boulder, or something like that (or is that just me?).

smillan_31 wrote:

Yeah, the wizard puts me in mind of Bored-Flak from Fineous Fingers. He wore shades and had a little sight on the end of his finger for aiming.

Excellent point, smillan!

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:53 pm  

Glad27 wrote:
    Never take a dip in an outside pool when a Fire Giant and his pet are around...

Looking pretty good. The only comment I can make is that the dwarf looks like he's been skinny-dipping and is about to get his manly...err, dwarfly, bits toasted. In the closeup you can tell it's just leaves, but in the full size (at this resolution at least) it's hard to tell. People with dirty minds* might start to wonder.

* Like me, for instance.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: