JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Lexicon of the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Lexicon of the Flanaess
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:06 am  
    Lexicon of the Flanaess

I'm working on a project designing languages of the Flanaess, and am looking for known, canon, words used by the various races of Oerth. I have the extensive collection of Suel from SKR's SB book, the various known Flan words (euroz, eiger, kelbit, etc.) from the LGG, and the Dragon magazine articles on elven, dwarven and dragon (from the 3E era). I know there are other words scattered about in the various advendtures and sourcebooks, which I just haven't gotten around to pouring over just yet. I know that back in the 1980's, Dragon had put forth a common-english dictionary, as well as something on Thieves' Cant; I am searching for those... Does anyone know of any other sources? Has anyone already compiled such a list? Has anyone else been geeky enough to actually do this sort of work? Smile

While we're on the subject, here's what I'm using in addition to canon material:
    Bakluni - Arabic, Farsi, Assyrian, Egyptian, Mandarin Chinese, Sanskrit.
    Flan - Celtic, Gaelic, Polish, Russian, Bulgarian, Serbian, Cherokee, Lakota, Shoshone
    Oeridian -Greek, Latin, Gothic
    Suel - Old Norse, Latin, Coptic
    Dwarven - Gothic, Celtic, Russian, Khuzdul
    Elven - Assyrian, Latin, Quenya
    Gnomish - Old Norse, Gaelic, Dutch
    Orc - Magyar, Suomi, Klingon

I'm sure that many of my associations will be met with derision and disagreement. Nonethless, I reserve the right to make such. Eventually, I hope to post some of what I've worked up here on CF.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:34 am  

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1741

Ephealy was collecting info on languages a long while back on this thread. Not sure what his status is on this since he is quite involved in other projects nowadays. Check this thread out at any rate, its got good feedback and you may be able to pick up where it leaves off...:)
    Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:37 am  

p.s. I have slowly been developing my own lexicon of words and root-words in the Ualagha dialect of Baklunish as I do my Ull articles. Nothing much canon but its there if you ever need it someday.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:07 am  

Thanks mortellan. The thread hasn't been active for a couple of years, but provided a wealth of information. And by all means, any of your work would be appreciated! Happy

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:14 am  

I can0t even start to describe how I would LOVE to see this work. I was shocked in awe when I found the EBoN's extension for generating Greyhawk names...!
    GreySage

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:03 am  

Check out the bibliography in this article: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Greyhawk_languages
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: