Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Boneheart during the Greyhawk Wars (long)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Boneheart during the Greyhawk Wars (long)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:32 am  
    The Boneheart during the Greyhawk Wars (long)

My Greyhawk Wars campaign is at a pivotal stage and I'm looking for info on a few of the Boneheart that were slain by the end of the Wars (mainly so I can give my mid-to-high level characters a crack at the "big time"). I've read the print off of Iuz the Evil, the Marklands and the history from the Old Greyhawk Wars boxed set. Sadly I don't have the later books in the Gord series so I can't do this research first hand and the best online source that I've found so far is the excellent Gord's Greyhawk site.

That source lists the Greater Six as: Althea, Halga, Ormuz, Kermin Mind-bender, Radduj and Mole. The Lesser Six (well, actually seven) were: Patch, Vayne, Beesting, Jumper, Null, Leilah and Olive.

Obviously this runs contrary to Sargent's Iuz the Evil but spilt milk and all that. Please folks, no Sargent bashing- let's keep this constructive. Wink

As I understand it, the members of the Greater Boneheart at the start of the Greyhawk Wars were: Ormuz, Patch, Kermin Mind-bender, Halga, Vayne and Althea. That's all six accounted for, 3 mages and 3 clerics.

I'm rather more vague concerning the Lesser Boneheart members but the following people make sense: Maskalayne, Panshazek, Null and Jumper (both of whom would likely have had to be member of the Lesser Boneheart to earn promotion to the Greater Boneheart at the end of fighting). This leaves two positions open. Now for a little speculation...

I have not included Xenvelen because I think his addition to the Lesser Boneheart would have been a reward for his exemplary service during the war. I also haven't included Cranzer of Riftcrag as all wizardly positions are filled already.

Marynnek is a possibility but I'm leaning away from him because I figure that Halga and Althea wouldn't be fighting over him yet because they are more interested in plotting against Patch who in my game is the High Priest of the Old One. I am aware that this conflicts with Gord's Greyhawk and thus Gygax but I am using Iuz the Evil as my primary background source and in that book Sargent mentions that Althea and Halga were vying for the position of the deceased Patch.

So we have two vacancies. I have filled one with Radduj (a member of the Greater Six in Gord's Greyhawk) whom I have made into a competent war priest and fighting man who is firmly in Patch's camp. Would anyone care to speculate on a last member? I'd like to cleave to the canon as much as I can in this messy area. According to Gord's Greyhawk Olive and Leilah were both priestess' of Iuz. Can anyone tell me whether Beesting was a mage or a cleric?

Not sure what to do with Mole as yet....

I am also very keen to get as much background on Ormuz, Patch, Olive, Radduj, Leilah, Beesting and Mole as I can. Descriptions, history and preferred spells would be perfect, especially as I am currently stating out some of these guys already.

If I have missed anybody from an old Dragon Mag article I'd be very pleased to hear about them too. They need not be Boneheart members if they are militarily important in some way.

Ta.

Damien.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:59 am  

I'm at work at the moment, so don't have access to all of my stuff (I don't have the later Gord books yet anyway, so my apologies there!); but I just wanted to say that I'm one of the few I know who not only likes Sargent's stuff; but (and no disrespect intended to anyone when I say this) I actually think his stuff is quite probably the best Greyhawk and possibly best AD&D material to have been published for the 1st or 2nd Edition campaign settings.

This opinion pretty much usually leaves me alone on an island...but I thought I'd throw that out there!

I am VERY curious to see what information flows into this thread though; as I have long been working on a campaign to encompass the 15 years from 576 to 591; with the wars as the "middle" event seperating two main "campaign eras"; with the PCs' actions before and during affecting the war's course and outcome.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:50 pm  

Ah, a topic after my own Iuzian heart.

This probably won't help much, but what follows is a brief "treatise" on the Bonehearts that I prepared when I was a player in the Living Greyhawk campaign (i.e., before I became Triad and really had to research this stuff) and published on the BK's regional yahoo group. I ignored the Gord novels as we didn't seem to use those for canon in LG and focused on ItE, the LGG and what I gathered from various LG module backgrounds and Triad/Circle members. I probably cut and pasted quite a bit of it from ItE and the LGG to help speed up the process of putting it together and after re-reading it now I see that it is mostly a conglomeration of material from those two sources, a hastily put together one I might add. Maybe seeing it in this format will give you some ideas for your campaign.

I've told Britt, last Iuz Circle member of LG, about the Thursday night chats. He may pop in one evening to talk about LG's use of the Bonehearts and other LG related topics. I know when we were both Triad types, we kept pesting Jason Buhlman to "officially" fill in the gaps about the Bonehearts, much as you yourself are trying to do.

Hail Iuz! Evil Grin

Casey
    former BK Triad

--------------------
    The following is meant to aid role-playing in our region by giving our players and our characters a basic understanding of the Boneheart, as would be known by perhaps the more knowledgeable barkeeps in the BK. It is all taken directly from either Iuz the Evil, or the LGG, or LG mods. Note: Iuz the Evil was written circa 585CY, so much of the info is 10+ game years old, and may have been changed by other regional Triads, or the Circle. If anyone knows of any changes due to mods, interactives, etc., please feel free to email me the correction. Maybe Iuz himself would care to comment...

There are 6 Greater and 6 (or 7 if some rumors are to be believed) Lesser Bonehearts, each a powerful human (or formerly human) spellcaster, with the Greater Bonehearts obviously having a tremendous amount of power (read as high level).

Originally six in number, the Greater Boneheart had several vacancies among their number after the losses of High Priest Patch (destroyed in Furyondy), ???, and the mage Ormuz during the wars. The Lesser Boneheart were all vying for the positions that were available. The mage Vayne had also been demoted to a Lesser Boneheart member, while Null and Jumper have been promoted. Rumor has it that just recently Panshazek the Vile was promoted from Lesser Boneheart to Greater Boneheart. Surely this has angered the remaining Lesser Boneheart.

Vayne, formerly of the Greater Boneheart and (former?) ruler of Admundfort, is a mage. Wherever Vayne was during the wars, things tended to go poorly or indifferently at best. The final straw was his inept role in the Badlands debacle, where thousands of orcs were
    slain by Belvor's troops and Ghisellinn of Furyondy nearly toasted him with a meteor swarm. Null has taken his place among the Greater Boneheart. Vayne surrendered to the Shield Land forces during the Seige of Admunfort, in 595 CY, seeking political asylum and protection from Iuz.

Rumor also has it that Waquonis, another Lesser Boneheart, had recently usurped Vayne's post in Admunfort, and driven him north (into the BK?), but Vayne did surrender in Admunfort, so clearly this rumor was incorrect. Whether Waquonis is a mere pretender to the Boneheart title remains to be seen.

The Greater Boneheart: High Priestess Althea, one of Iuz's most trusted servants. Althea is the ruler of Molag, but divides her time between Dorakaa and that
    city.

High Priestess Halga has been given the Vesve to rule by Iuz yet Halga rarely leaves Dorakaa to see how events are going there. However, rumors surface from time to time in Stoink that she has been seen tracking the supposedly dead Duke Gellor (of the Duchy of the Artonsamay). She rules out of Izlen.

Archmages Null and Jumper worked well together in the invasion of the Shield Lands and the Horned Society, but most importantly, Null managed not to make any serious mistakes during the war. That earned him the promotion to the Greater Boneheart. Null declined the offer of rulership of the Shield Lands, instead he spent much of his time
    in Fleichshriver (and might still). Null was promoted to fill the vacancy created by Vayne's demotion to the Lesser Boneheart.

Archmage Jumper is a consummate master of illusion and is the commander of the Legions of the Deranged, having been appointed ruler of the Barren Plains and the Bluff Hills in a rare moment of humor on Iuz's part. He rules out of Grossfort, when not in Dorakaa.

Kermin Mind-Bender is Iuz's expert diviner, but he also has an affinity for mind-affecting and mind-control spells. Kermin persuaded Iuz that trained mages would form a vital support for the priesthood in the Old One's dominion. So, Kermin does not have any specific land to rule, but rather has the task of finding budding mages and
    arranging for their training.

The newest edition to the Greater Boneheart, not much is known about Panshazek the Vile (or is there?). A priest of the Old One's, he is the former regional commander of the Northern Vesve, and served Halga in Izlen, or ruled in her absence. One can only surmise
    that he did well enough to get promoted, and for that to happen Halga surely was pleased with him and/or did not fear him as a threat. Unless of course, the Old One grows bored with the old hag...

The Lesser Boneheart: These six are mostly in difficult situations, for they are charged
    with command and control of large areas of Iuz's empire and if anything goes wrong, they get the blame.

Cranzer of Riftcrag is a perpetually hassled man, having to placate Iuz, Null and Jumper by keeping the Rift Canyon relatively problem-free and silver flowing into Iuz's coffers. He is a skilled alchemist and mage.

Marynnek, a priest of Iuz, is the "part-time" ruler of Molag, an especially thankless position. When he gets things right, Althea takes the credit, but when things go wrong, he gets the blame.

Maskaleyne, the vampire mage, is nearly 333 years old, an exile from the Great Kingdom, and was given Grabford to rule as a reward for his service. However, Grabford was reclaimed by King Belvor IV's forces in 588 CY. The vampire now rules Delaquenn.

Xenvelen the priest had a fine war record on the Furyondian front, having played a major role in the capture of Crockport and having covered the retreat from Chendl very ably, earning Iuz's high esteem. Iuz has rewarded him with rulership of that city and command of the southern Vesve front. However, Crockport was recaptured in 588 CY by King Belvor IV's Great Northern Crusade, after they had liberated Grabford from Maskaleyne.

According to the LGG, Earl Aundurach, a male human cleric of Iuz who rules Hallorn, is a recent addition to the Lesser Boneheart. I would assume that one of the others was promoted to Greater Boneheart to open up the position (or one of the Lessers got killed).

In addition to the Boneheart, there are 6 members of the Boneshadow, six agents and spies of the Old One. The Boneshadow (all info from Iuz the Evil, and hence 10+ game years old):

Lord Obmi is a dwarven fighter known to have a dwarven throwing hammer. He comes from the Crystalmists and is known as The Hammer of Iuz for obvious reasons. Obmi is an expert assassin and deployer of brute force. He was last heard of in Verbobonc and there are bounties on his head from there to Keoland.

Keak, the half-mad grey elven fighter-mage hails from the Vesve, and has been seen roaming there and in Veluna, Highvale and Perrenland. Keak is a spy, a master of mental-domination magic, and also a fine assassin.

Gleed is a gnome thief/illusionist of unknown origin.

Sunifarel Brightrobe, a Celene half-elf, is a mage known to be active in the Suss, Welkwood and possibly the Pomarj-controlled portions of the Wild Coast. Sunifarel is a hunter of lore and magical items, a seeker-out of lost dungeons, ruins, and buried places of ineffable evil.

Griswald Hairhand, often posing as a cook or chef of excellent quality, is a rare evil halfling and hails from the enclave of Elmshire on the shores of the Nyr Dyv and may have had something to do with the terrible disease which killed so many there of late.
    Griswald is a thief, an expert spy, cat burglar, information-gatherer and agent of subterfuge and sedition with his high Charisma.

Lord Dorag, a truly fearsome fighter, is known for his sword of sharpness, plate mail and great strength. He is a powerful fighter and reports of him filter back from the fractured lands of old Aerdi. As a slaughterer, he is unequalled and as a spy, he has many magical
    aids to augment his activities.

Other bits of known history:
    During the conquest of the Shield Lands, Iuz's Boneheart wizards, Kermin Mind-Bender and the dreaded Archmage Null, distinguished themselves, with their magic proving vital to the supply of fast- moving armies.

When King Belvor IV sundered the siege of Chendl and drove Iuz back northwards into the oncoming autumn of 584 CY, Furyondy was saved...Three of the twelve Boneheart were destroyed (High Priest Patch, the mage Ormuz, and ???).
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:14 pm  

maxvale76 wrote:
    but I just wanted to say that I'm one of the few I know who not only likes Sargent's stuff; but (and no disrespect intended to anyone when I say this) I actually think his stuff is quite probably the best Greyhawk and possibly best AD&D material to have been published for the 1st or 2nd Edition campaign settings.

You're not alone maxvale, I belong in that camp as well.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:51 pm  

Well aurdraco just gave a MUCH better response than I could have; he also has access to all those LGG journals, which I don't; since other than the Living Greyhawk Gazetter; I quit D&D when 3rd edition came out (it's just NOT my kinda D&D!)

Luz: It's nice to know I'm not on an island alone! Happy

One minor thing jumps out at me: I don't remember where (I think it was in the LGG or possibly in Greyhawk the Adventure Begins); but there was a picture of a fighter/knight (Artur Jakartai perhaps?) with a stake, wrestling with a vampire-looking guy with a caption about the re-taking of Grabford. This would seem to suggest Maskaleye as being a prime canidate for an opening in the Lesser Boneheart; but of course; nothing in the text supports this; and it could just be any old fighter, staking any old vampire! Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:27 pm  
    Sneaky Vampires

I've always taken that to be a picture of Artur and Maskalayne too. It makes sense that the Count of Crystalreach would try to deal with the "Tyrant of Grabford" (as I've called him in my game) personally.

I'm pretty sure Maskalayne could have escaped the staking, and he is still around in 591 CY at least. I can think of two methods that a 12th level vampire wizard could use in that situation: 1)turn into mist and flee; and 2)have a prepared contingency to dimension door himself hundreds of feet away from the person holding the stake.

Either way it would make for a very nice cinematic escape....
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:59 pm  
    Boneheart slain at Chendl

Aurdraco, you mentioned that three of the Boneheart were slain at Chendl when Belvor broke the siege in autumn of 584.

Firstly, how did you arrive at autumn of 584? My own timeline of the war is far from finished or perfect but if Chendl was liberated in Patchwall or Ready'reat of 584, that means that the King liberated his city two months after Harvester, which is when the war was supposed to have ended.

My own interpretation of the history of the Greyhawk Wars had it concluding in Harvester of 585 as there would have been little room in 584 for "6 months" of diplomatic wheeling and dealing in Greyahwk City prior to the day of the Great Signing. However this seems to fly in the face of the commonly accepted version of events...

As for the Boneheart members slain, I believe that one of them was killed in the Vesve by a Mordenkainen's disjunction but I don't recall where I read that. I think it may have been Ormuz. If that is the case then Patch and one lesser Boneheart member died at Chendl.

Again I am appealing to anyone who has the information from the Gygax books to respond as I am running this particular game session in two weeks! Neutral
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:58 pm  

Gord book series spoilers abound, so don't read this web page unless you want to. http://home.comcast.net/~chris.s/gordmain.html

There is a snippet on each of the Greater and Lesser Boneheart members, and what happened to them during the course of the Gord books. Ormuz and Patch both croak in the Vesve fighting against Mordy and the Obsidian Citadel(and other allied forces).

There is plenty of other Gord information there as well.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:44 am  
    Gord's Greyhawk

Thanks for the help with Ormuz and Patch, Cebrion. As I mentioned at the start of the thread I'm already using the "Gord's Greyhawk" site. What I was hoping for is a more in depth description and background of those Boneheart mages and priests that Sargent didn't detail. Do you know if these details were given in the Gord books? If not, then I'm happy enough to detail them myself but I'd rather stick to Gygax' work if I can.

Ta.

Damien.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:28 pm  

I don't think that the fates of any others are mentioned in the books, other than what is listed on that web page. Combining what is there with what is in Iuz the Evil, City of Skulls, and the LGG is about as good as it is going to get. Besides, you are the one who gets to decide what happens in your own campaign. Result will always vary from person to person.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:26 am  

Plus, if there is no other 'official' information, you just became the unofficial chronicler for the history of the Boneheart. Make it up and submit it as an article!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:40 am  
    Boneheart

I am in the habit of summarising my game sessions. It might be fun to do an article on the history of Boneheart. I just came across another candidate for a former member of the Lesser Boneheart tonight actually. According to Dragon #56, a 14th level cleric by the name of Lord Choldraf led a disatrous excursion against the Wegwiur in 578 CY. He lost much of his army and the favour of the Old One as a result. Perhaps Vayne isn't the only one to be punished by a humiliating demotion.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: