JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Tenser
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Tenser
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:11 pm  
    Tenser

Anyone care to speculate about what Tenser might have been doing during the Greyhaw Wars? I seem to recall that Bigby, Otto and Mordenkainen were quite active in Furyondy for at least part of the war. Given Tenser's strong tendencies towards law and good and propensity for battle magic I'd expect him to be there as well but I haven't read anything at all about where he was and what he was doing.

Ta.

Damien.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:51 pm  

I too can't see him sitting idle, but I haven't seen anything to indicate what he was doing during the war either. He does tend to have some anbiguous feelings about Mordenkainen and his actions, and by extension those of the Circle, so it is possible he could have retired to his fortress and sulked for part of the war. He was one of the three who discovered Rary's betrayal before the fact, so he could also have spent some time around Rary. It's not inconceivable that he might have spent some time in Ket attempting to get Rary to intervene with the Beygraf and at least keep Ket out of the war. He could have begun to suspect Rary during this time.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:38 am  

I was under the impression that none of the Circle of Eight were aware of his treachery until the Day of the Great Signing in Greyhawk. Bigby, Otiluke and Tenser were making one final round of checks before the talks were to begin and they discovered Rary in the process of laying his magical traps...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:27 pm  

Yeah, that does look to be the case from reading Rary the Traitor. If anyone was suspicious of him it probably would have been Otiluke.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:32 am  

Well the lack of activity during the begining of the war can be explained by all of the Circle (save Mordenkainen) recovering from thier "destruction" at the hands of Halmadar-Vecna. Later in the war though; it's apparent (as allready mentioned) that Mordenkainen, Bigby and Otto were involved in Furyondy; and Nystul would certianly be active in Tenh. This does certainly make you wonder about the rest of the circle.

I could see Rary telling the others he wouldn't get himself involved and then actually go to Ket and start to indulge his "new evilness".

Drawmij may not have cared too much until the Scarlet Brotherhood and rise of the Giants threatened Keoland (and even then...he might not have cared much).

Otiluke would probably have stayed in Greyhawk the whole time; perhaps as the Circle's insuracne that nothing too crazy happened in the city while all the rest of them were scattered throughout the Flaness.

Tenser and Jallarzi, both being the Good-aligned members of the Circle; you do have to wonder about. Perhaps Jallarzi went to the borderlands of the County of Urnst and the Bandit Kingdoms to make sure things stayed quiet; while Tenser went south as Turrosh Mak stirred up the Pomarj and took over/destroyed the southern Wild Coast (where he was born). Being the fighting kind; maybe he linked up with disparate dwarven/mercenary faction and fought at the battle of Celene Pass. It certianly helps explain why such a small force was able to beat back the teeming hordes of Turrosh Mak...

Then, they all come back together for the Signing of the Pact; and then the events we all know happened (i.e. Rary's discovered; the big magical battle between Tenser, Otiluke, Bigby and Rary).....and all the plans each may have had (such as Tenser and/or Jallarzi taking a more active role in helping out the good nations of the Flaness) are de-railed....

Just spitballin' here.....thoughts?

Last edited by maxvale76 on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am  

maxvale76 wrote:
    I could see Rary telling the others he wouldn't get himself involved and then actually go to Ket and start to indulge his "new evilness".

I don't think so. I don't think Rary just woke up one day and decided to start torturing puppies, kicking the crutches out from under the handicapped, and peeing in peoples' rose gardens.

The evil things he did were done because he viewed them as necessary to complete his goals. Everything else should be consistent with his old personality. He was always a protector of Ket with a real affection for its people, and there's no reason for him to suddenly start being nasty over there - that wouldn't do anything to advance his goals of ending the threat that the Circle of Eight's incompetence posed to peace and conquering the Flanaess in order to impose his own vision of what is right. Rary probably would have been laying the groundwork for his plan during the early days of the Wars, researching where everyone's clones were, planning sessions with Robilar, and so on (as well as recovering from his own death).

If Rary was in Ket at the time (and of course he was; not only was it his home, but he had to pass through it while he was recruiting Paynims to aid him in his conquest of the Bright Desert) I believe he would have been working hard to prevent Zoltan from allying with Iuz. He was always known as a peacemaker, and he must have been aware that aiding Iuz would do nothing to serve the Balance or his people. It might have been his frustration with that process that pushed him over the edge and convinced him that only from a position of temporal power, and with the Circle of Eight out of the way, could he ensure that nothing like the Greyhawk Wars ever happened again. He might have blamed Tenser and the other members of the Circle for distracting him with their own concerns while Zoltan was meeting with agents of the Old One. If it weren't for Tenser and his obsession with those bloody orcs on the gods-forsaken Wild Coast, I could have done something, he might have griped. Rary might even have been responsible for assassinating Beygraf Zoltan.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:34 am  

My apologies for having worded this badly.....what I meant by "indulging in his new evilness" is precisely the kind of things you mention....

I.e., I too believe he was coming to the "evil" viewpoint in the years leading up to the war; and the events of facing Halmadar-Vecna would have quite probably been the last straw for him to begin his plan.

So say that for most of 582 as the war kicks off; he's recovering from the Halmadar-Vecna incident. In 583 he goes to Ket; rallies his Paynims and followers; perhaps tries to convince Zoltan to not make an alliance with Iuz; but once Zoltan does; he leaves Ket's buisness for later and figures that now is the time to act; and heads to Greyhawk to make final prepartions with Robilar. The war ends; and the talks of the Treaty to be signed in Greyhawk provides Rary and Robilar with thier opportunity.

Of course, he's caught in the act and the events unfold as we know them too.

I didn't mean to suggest he was out flinging puppies off a cliff or kicking the crtuches out of the cripples' hands! Happy
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:46 pm  

Drawmij did play a key part in organizing the refugees from the Lost Lands and settling them in the Good Hills.

Otiluke was probably busy enough in his duties as President of the Society of Magi and member of the Directing Oligarchy that he couldn't take an active part in the war.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:19 pm  
    Re: Tenser

Damien wrote:
    Anyone care to speculate about what Tenser might have been doing during the Greyhaw Wars? I seem to recall that Bigby, Otto and Mordenkainen were quite active in Furyondy for at least part of the war. Given Tenser's strong tendencies towards law and good and propensity for battle magic I'd expect him to be there as well but I haven't read anything at all about where he was and what he was doing.

Ta.

Damien.

Return of the Eight, page 20:

"Midway through the Greyhawk Wars, Tenser learned that Iggwilv had been imprisoned in the abyss by a demon lord. Tenser always had several "back-up" clones; now he returned to Iggwilv's laboratory on Luna and prepared another in what he felt was an absolute secure location. As an added precaution, he concealed the clone's presence with magical wards so powerful that no divination spell could pierce them; not even Mordenkainen had been able to detect it."

This explains what Tenser was doing with some of his time during the wars just before his death. I'm not sure if its a coincedence that he did this shortly before being killed or if he had some prior knowledge that Rary plotted against him and so he prepared a secret clone. Still, to pull this off would have required a lot of Tenser's time and resources, not to mention discretion, and would have kept him pretty busy.

Furthermore, since Tenser is a bitter enemy of both Iggwilv and Iuz - often thwarting their plans - its possible he was working secretly behind the scenes to foil Iuz and / or Iggwilv. Not necessarily Tenser's style to be so discreet, but it would otherwise explain his no-show during the wars. It could also be speculated that he learned of the alliance between Tuerny, Iggwilv and Iuz before he died and their plans to invade Oerth through a network of gates and sought to stop them, but was killed by Rary before he could.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:08 pm  
    Manzorian

He may also have been working against the interests of the Scarlet Brotherhood in the Amedio. If you include the cities of Cauldron and Sasserine in the World of Greyhawk it appears that under the guise of Manzorian Tenser has agents and interests in both cities. Who better than a member of the Circle of Eight to tackle the job of piercing the veil of secrecy around the Brotherhood in the latter half of the war? I know that the area is more Drawmij's purview but Tenser has always been a meddler and Drawmij would have been very busy already...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: