JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Baba Yaga
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Baba Yaga
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:03 pm  
    Baba Yaga

Does anyone know if there's a write-up of her stats for 3E / 3.5? I know there is speculation that Iggwilv is Baba Yaga for GH and I have her stats, but this is not what I'm looking for. IMC, I consider Baba Yaga a seperate personality.

Failing that, I'm prepared to do my own write-up of her and post it here. If anyone has any suggestions or cool ideas, I'm completely open to them.

Thanks Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:04 pm  

Guess it would help to know what I'm looking for. This is serving as a side-trek for one of my players, whose 16th level barbarian was hit by a plane shift spell last game. In earlier editions of D&D, Baba Yaga's hut travelled across the planes and the interior itself was extra dimensional, so I've arranged for the barbarian to randomly land in one of the rooms of the hut. This wont be a "kill the witch and take her hut" adventure, because Baba Yaga is much too powerful (I'm thinking CR25-30). This is more to introduce her as a NPC to the campaign who will toy with the PC and perhaps put him under a geas in exchange for his safe return to GH. I know her stats aren't really necessary here, but I'm a completist and want them anyway.

I want something closer to the Russian folktale of Baba Yaga, a cannibalistic hag who flew around in a cauldron and, of course, lived in her infamous hut. I already have both the 1st edition adventure from Dragon #83 by Roger Moore and 2nd edition's "The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga" by Lisa Smedman and will mine them both for ideas, but will add many of my own ideas to the hut's interior. As for Baba Yaga, I'm thinking of using either the annis or night hag and adding class levels to her. I'm not sure about the night hag because I don't know if Baba Yaga was an outsider. She has also been referred to as an ogress, which gave me the idea to throw in a half-troll template.

Thoughts?
    GreySage

Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:40 pm  

According to Dragon #359, Baba Yaga is actually Iggwilv's adoptive mother. Iggwilv is the same person as Natasha the Dark, mentioned in Dragon #83, although Natasha/Iggwilv's stats in that issue represent her much younger self. Not everyone likes the idea, though.

A half-troll greenhag wizard/druid wouldn't be a terrible way to do Baba Yaga. Baba Yaga is more a spirit of the forest, so I think a greenhag is the most appropriate comparison.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:47 pm  

You may find a trip to the Great Library of Greyhawk useful:

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Baba_Yaga

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Iggwilv
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:48 pm  
    Re: Baba Yaga

Luz wrote:
    Does anyone know if there's a write-up of her stats for 3E / 3.5? I know there is speculation that Iggwilv is Baba Yaga for GH and I have her stats, but this is not what I'm looking for.

I thought the speculation was that Igwilv was one of Baba Yaga's adopted daughters.

A company called Dog Soul Publishing has published an OGL product featuring Baba Yaga.
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/rpgitem/60671

Quote:
    Baba Yaga: The First Setting in Rassiya
    The world's most famous witch awaits you! Step inside the land of Rassiya,and experience the folklore of a cold, northern land where nothing is quite as it seems. Living dolls spin perplexing riddles. Foul spirits lurk in cold swamps. Talking wolves lure unwary travelers deep into forbidding forests. And there, at the heart of darkness, lives the black-toothed hag Baba Yaga and her chicken-legged hut.

Will she aid you in your journey, or devour your living soul?

This sourcebook contains: maps that cover the land of Rassiya; a detailed description of the town of Derevnya, giving adventurers a base of operations for exploring the land around them; never-before-seen monsters based on real Eastern European folklore; a brand-new playable PC race, the Lebedinoe; randomized charts for generating traps and magical items on the fly; and an in-depth look at Baba Yaga herself.

Found a link for the actual product.
    http://www.yourgamesnow.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=5&products_id=949

2006 Ennie Award winner. $8.95 download. No indication of power level.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:07 pm  

Thanks a lot, guys, you've been a big help. Armitage, I checked out that link and picked up the download. Its very cool and has a ton of good info and ideas for exactly what I want to do. Lots of flavor text that is useful, but a little light on crunching stats. They do have a write-up of Baba Yaga, she's a 20th level expert with fey blood. Not quite the stats I have in mind for her so I will do my own, but the rest will come in handy. Thanks again!

rasgon wrote:
    According to Dragon #359, Baba Yaga is actually Iggwilv's adoptive mother. Iggwilv is the same person as Natasha the Dark, mentioned in Dragon #83, although Natasha/Iggwilv's stats in that issue represent her much younger self. Not everyone likes the idea, though.

A half-troll greenhag wizard/druid wouldn't be a terrible way to do Baba Yaga. Baba Yaga is more a spirit of the forest, so I think a greenhag is the most appropriate comparison.

Yeah, I got her connection with Iggwilv mixed up. For some reason I thought I had read somewhere they were one and the same. Interestingly, her daughter's name in the real myth is Natalya, and she also has a connection with Kostchtchie (called Koschei the Deathless in the PDF).

The half-troll greenhag wizard/druid is pretty much what I was thinking, although I might just stick with one class so she can have some higher level spells. I might consider a half-fey instead, following the Baba Yaga PDF idea.
    GreySage

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:27 am  

rasgon wrote:

Luz wrote:
    The half-troll greenhag wizard/druid is pretty much what I was thinking, although I might just stick with one class so she can have some higher level spells. I might consider a half-fey instead, following the Baba Yaga PDF idea.

You might consider stopping by Greytalk sometime. Aeolius is the resident Hag expert and could give you some excellent information/advice on that aspect. Wink

And thanks for that reminder Robbastard. We appreciate your's and Rasgon's efforts on all our behalves. The Great Library is a most excellent resource. Thanks! Happy

Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:29 pm  

ENWorld's Creature Catalog has converted stats for her. (Converted from the original 1E Dragon Magazine #83 article by Roger Moore)
    Baba Yaga in the Creature Catalog
    Baba Yaga's Hut in the Creature Catalog

Note that there's a 2E Module by Lisa Smedman which again has other stats for Baba Yaga. I suggest looking it up if you want to build your own stats or update the conversion above.

Finally here's Kain Darkwind (of Dicefreaks) version of her. As is usually the case with dicefreaks material this version is a very high CR. But that's probably allright, seeing how Baba Yaga plays in the same league as Grazz't.

Last edited by Thanael on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:39 pm  

Thanael wrote:
    ENWorld's Creature Catalog has converted stats for her. (Converted from the original 1E Dragon Magazine #83 article by Roger Moore)
    Baba Yaga in the Creature Catalog
    Baba Yaga's Hut in the Creature Catalog

Not that there's a 2E Module by Lisa Smedman which again has other stats for Baba Yaga. I suggest looking it up if you want to build your own stats or update the conversion above.

Finally here's Kain Darkwind (of Dicefreaks) version of her. As is usually the case with dicefreaks material this version is a very high CR. But that's probably allright, seeing how Baba Yaga plays in the same league as Grazz't.

Awesome! Thanks, Thanael Happy I was just about to do my own version of her, but these are great. Kain does good stuff, I'm kinda surprised I forgot to even check DF material.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:36 am  

Nice links, there. There was also the 2e supplement "The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga", but I never played 2e so I cannot vouch for how well it might convert.

To step outside of the stats, one might look at info available at sites like pantheon.org: http://www.pantheon.org/areas/featured/witchcraft/chapter-8.html , http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/baba_yaga.html
    GreySage

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:21 am  

Say! Look who stopped in for a visit! Happy

Nice links Aeolius. Wink
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: