Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - We need a Living Greyhawk forum.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    We need a Living Greyhawk forum.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:22 pm  
    We need a Living Greyhawk forum.

Hey gang,

I've got lots of fun details and contact info to follow, but I am posting this to request that we create a forum in the WoG Discussion folder for Living Greyhawk. As the world's largest Greyhawk campaign EVER, preserving the campaign's memory seems a natural fit with canonfire's mission.

While it is true that up until now the LG admin community has been mostly silent on the issue of archiving LG, I believe that is about to end (we mostly needed some rest and separation from WOTC, imo). Towards that end, after bouncing the idea around during last Thursday's Greytalk, several days ago, I cast Summon Triads and Circle X on an old LG admin listserv. I've already received quite a few responses from former LG admins who are interested in helping to archive LG material, host LG websites, and answer questions about Greyhawk during LG. I plan to post their names and contact info, as well as the Greyhawk projects they are working on, later this evening.

Thanks,

Casey
    former BK Triad
    Master Greytalker

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:49 pm  

Excellent news! Lemme know if there's any way I can help. I know a lot of people don't like to include LG as canon, but who cares? At least it's Greyhawk, and where else are we supposed to get new materials? If Canonfire exists to support fan-created Greyhawky goodness, it seems only natural to want to archive all that lovely material that's just sitting there going to waste. If nothing else, who knows what sort of creativity it might inspire?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:12 pm  

Below are the responses I have already received from my LG admin contacts. I will list them alphabetically by region. As I get more, I'll edit my list. Once complete, maybe I can make a contact database. I realize I am missing some email addresses; that is because the LG admin yahoo group hides them from me. I will effort to get them unhidden so that I can repost them here. Note: I received more responses than those posted below, but those responders weren't clear on whether they wanted me to post their contact info or not.

Casey

--

Adri/Innspa
    Dr. Rainer Nagel
    rnagel@rainer-nagel.de
    Adri Triad, 2001-2008
    "The (mostly German) Adri/Innspa website with its small English part is
    still online, and will continue to be: www.livinggreyhawk.de."

Bandit Kingdoms
    Casey Brown (aka "aurdraco" on canonfire)
    aurdraco@gmail.com
    BK Triad, 2005-2008
    Currently working on a BK gazetteer project.

Britt Frey
    brittfrey@gmail.com
    BK Triad, 2003-2006
    LG Circle (IUZ), 2006-2008

County of Urnst
    JP Chapleau
    JP@chapleau.us
    County of Urnst Triad, 2006-2008

Duchy of Urnst
    Martin Knoff
    martin_knoff@yahoo.com
    Duchy of Urnst Triad, 2003-2006

Dyvers, Free City of
    Michael Mockus
    mmockus+lg@gmail.com
    http://www.living-dyvers.net/
    Dyvers Triad, 200?-2008

Ekbir
    Gael Richard
    gaelloicr@numericable.fr
    Ekbir Triad, 2001-2008
    "We have already begun to do this [Ekbir gazetteer] for Ekbir. This is one website (maintained by Pierre Couture aka Armenfrast) where we are putting our work about Ekbir during LG: http://greyhawk.fr. The old official website for Ekbir is still there: http://www.ekbir.org. Of course, all these sites are in French but if a native-english speaker is willing to help us, it could be translated into English. I am willing to answer questions about Ekbir, the Baklunish world, NPCs and storylines in this region."

Furyondy
    Pete Cooney
    cooneypete@yahoo.com
    Furyondy Triad, 200?-2008
    Pete is interested in helping to archive LG material.

Geoff
    John Pieper
    jpieper70@gmail.com
    Geoff Triad, 2007-2008
    "I've been doing a little work on the Geoff Wiki entry, and will do more as time permits."

Highfolk
    Todd Ammerman
    calentir@gmail.com
    Highfolk Triad, 2006-2008
    Todd is interested in working on a Highfolk gazetteer.

Nyrond
    Don Brown
    don@donkbrown.com
    Nyrond Triad, 2006-2008
    "I have meta-org docs, drafts of story lines and regional developments for the region and many, many adventures from the region."

Onnwal
    Stuart Kerrigan
    Onnwal Triad, 2002-2005(?)
    "I've archived and reworked a lot of our stuff at http://www.skerrigan.co.uk/Onnwal...There's a gazetteer including what was DM level material and the old Player's Guide."

Perrenland
    Andrew Cowan
    andcowan@yahoo.com.au
    Perrenland Triad, 2004-2008

Sunndi
    Maya Deva
    mdkniese@blackstar.nl
    Sunndi Triad, 2001-2008
    "The Sunndi website was taken down, but is intact on our home server;
    feel free to direct any questions on our corner of the world to me."

Tusmit
    Daniel Mayrand
    dmayrand@gmail.com
    Tusmit Triad, 2002-2003, 2005-2008
    "I kept a copy of the whole site on my home server, which can be viewed at http://cohtss.dyndns.org:10080/tusmit"

JP Chapleau
    JP@chapleau.us
    Tusmit Triad, 2003-2006

Verbobonc
    Vernon L. Vincent (aka "vvincent" on canonfire)
    Verbobonc Triad, 2004-2008
    "For those interested, I have been maintaining the Verbobonc website (http://verbobonc.net) so it is still alive."
    Vernon is currently contemplating working on a Velverdyva source document.

Zeif
    Jon Dawes
    jondawes@shaw.ca
    Zeif Triad, 2006 (Zeif's start)-2008
    "The Calgary guys used to have a site up with lots of details, but I don't see it anymore. I had a fair amount to do with continuity, so I can probably answer most questions about how our plot arcs ended."

Former Circle Members
    Creighton Broadhurst
    Creighton@greyworks.co.uk
    LG Circle (Core) 200?-2008

Britt Frey
    brittfrey@gmail.com
    LG Circle (IUZ) 2006-2008

Last edited by aurdraco on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:34 pm; edited 17 times in total
    Master Greytalker

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:19 pm  
    LG Archive

This is great news!!

While it is true that there are some that don't consider it canon, as BG said, "Who cares?!" In those same Thursday night GreyTalk chats, we were seriously lamenting the loss of all the old websites and regional information that is slowly sipping away. Not so much adventures or anything, but just setting information; power groups, NPCs, towns, maps, etc. I absolutely can't wait to see how this turns out!!

Way to go, Aurdraco!! /cheer
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:37 pm  

Excellent work, Aurdraco! Well done indeed. I remember that chat session and my own lamentations! It would be great to archive all this glorious information. Happy

Keep us posted on all the latest developments, many here will be happy to help out as best they can. Cool

Again, well done. Wink

Last edited by Mystic-Scholar on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sage of Canonfire

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:18 pm  

We'll be happy to host an LG forum, FAQ, or whatever else you require.

CF is here to preserve Greyhawk, all editions and incarnations.

-G
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:43 pm  

Awesome Aurdraco! Thanks for this.

Laughing
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 am  

bubbagump expresses my sentiments exactly.

We have discussed archiving the LG material for a long time now. People sought out material a year or two ago, but the response was not very encouraging. It would be nice to have all material in one place, but I can understand those who are doing the archiving wanting people to visit their sites too. The biggest problem I see with linking to off-site files is the external sites not being kept up, being switched to new servers, whatever, and the content links going dead without any heads up do to a change in the link. Then we just have a bunch of posts/articles filled with the not so helpful and dreaded dead link. There is a MASSIVE problem with the Downloads section due to this very thing. We are looking to move away from links to off-site locations completely(unless absolutely necessary) in order to avoid this in the future.

Gary has already expressed a willingness to archive any and all things Living Greyhawk here at Canonfire!, and just did so again while I was composing this! Happy While I have my own ideas as to how such a forum would/should work, I want to hear everybody else’s ideas on how such a forum should be structured, how content should be presented, etc. Rather than just create a forum willy nilly, such a thing as this needs a bit or organizational forethought, so offer up your ideas. Once a method to the madness is decided upon, I will create a "Living Greyhawk Archive & Forum" and move any related content/threads to it. There is also a "Living Greyhawk/RPGA" Articles section where material can be submitted, yet sadly it has lain dormant and unused for nearly 2 years(yes, we've had things in place to archive LG since its demise was announced). In the meantime, hunt down whatever Living Greyhawk material you can, and the permission to submit it. It could be anything- regional articles, regional adventures, rules and regulations, campaign rewards, whatever.

Last edited by Cebrion on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:36 am  

wonder why we dont have a region of GH here in brazil.. Confused
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:43 pm  

"In the meantime, hunt down whatever Living Greyhawk material you can, and the permission to submit it. It could be anything- regional articles, regional adventures, rules and regulations, campaign rewards, whatever."

Raising his hands in the air and shouting loud:

I did, I did . . . hunt down/collect quite A LOT (over 90% or so) of LG material in the last 9 years. Getting the permission to submit it will be quite difficult if not nearly impossible . . . I've tried it a few times . . . :-(
    That is a serious issue of which (currently) I have no idea how to solve it without violating any laws, copyrights or IP.

Greetz

Nenad
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:48 pm  

I was going to avoid saying anything about this until I had things more organized, but since you brought it up...

I've been archiving LG materials for years now, and I'm currently working to get everything organized into some semblance of a coherent system. I have some 20,000 LG files, including mods, background info, ARs, etc., and when I get everything ready I'm hoping to make it available to anyone who is willing to host it. At the moment I'm about 75% finished. Merry Christmas.
    GreySage

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:45 pm  

Glad to "see" you Falco. Stop in more often. Happy

And don't give up on your LG project. More are joining in the effort to collect this material and get permission to post it here. As more of those who know how to do this gather together, the more that will get accomplished. Wink

Thanks for sharing and, again, stop by and visit us more often. Canonfire! needs all the support, contributions and ideas it can get. Cool Happy

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:07 pm  

"Glad to "see" you Falco. Stop in more often."

I visit the CF-site every day but don't post that often . . . Sad
    GreySage

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:03 pm  

That's excellent Falco! Happy

Now all we have to do is get you to "post" more often! Otherwise, how can we ever accuse you of talking too much? Evil Grin

And we are interested in what you have to say, so please do post more often. We need your ideas. Wink

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:16 pm  

rossik wrote:

I believe the RPGA looked into giving Brazil a region in 2003 or 2004, but TPTB decided that there weren't enough RPGA members to justify it, I guess. One of the old Circle members can correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by aurdraco on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:30 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    In the meantime, hunt down whatever Living Greyhawk material you can, and the permission to submit it. It could be anything- regional articles, regional adventures, rules and regulations, campaign rewards, whatever.

Cebrion, thanks for the support! Gary, you too!

One of the problems with archiving LG material is the fact that the ownership of the mods appears to be a sticky legal issue. Some authors were paid for their mods, some weren't. Some may wish to republish their material and hope to sell it (after having removed Greyhawk-specific material), some may not care. There may be authors who have no interest in an archive, others who join canonfire to help. Some may want to archive it but may not actually own the rights to make that decision. Etc. If anyone has a definitive legal answer to this, please share.

As far as organizing goes, I agree that additional links to website could be problematic. Will those sites still be there in 1 year? 5? 10? However, providing links is better than not providing links, right?

As far as rules material goes, I guess that can be archived too (I hadn't even thought about that stuff). Steven Conforti's LG Deities 2.0 document is a handy resource for DMs, but do we need his or WOTC's permission to archive it? I'm guessing not since it was probably public domain since it was downloadable by everyone for use in the LG campaign. Same is probably true for regional rules documents, but what about Adventure Records?

Also, while meta-org material may prove of interest to scholars looking to look deep at a meta-org or city, many of the crunchy bits probably won't make sense to someone not versed in LG's accounting rules system. Each region created certs and Adventure Records for meta-orgs, sometimes updating 1/year, other times more frequently. Do we want to archive all the published revisions?

My initial thoughts on organizing all this stuff is probably that each region will need a repository and a searchable index. As I am not a computer programmer, I have no idea how this could best be done.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:32 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    I was going to avoid saying anything about this until I had things more organized, but since you brought it up...

I've been archiving LG materials for years now, and I'm currently working to get everything organized into some semblance of a coherent system. I have some 20,000 LG files, including mods, background info, ARs, etc., and when I get everything ready I'm hoping to make it available to anyone who is willing to host it. At the moment I'm about 75% finished. Merry Christmas.

I definitely applaud your effort but the legal ramifications of what you are trying to do worries me a bit (when it comes to distributing the mods themselves). However, I think an index of this material would be amazing in and of itself! Let me know what you are missing from the BK and I will see what I can help you with.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:35 pm  

rossik wrote:

We could have a GH region for all Mercosur (I'm in Uruguay)... That would be nice, don't you think?

Saludos!
    Gabriel

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm  

aurdraco wrote:
    If anyone has a definitive legal answer to this, please share.

PMed our resident Scrivner, Wolfsire. He can perhaps answer some of these legal questions for us. Happy

Might be a day or two before he looks in though. So we'll exercise some patience. Cool Wink

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:53 pm  

carlanco wrote:
    rossik wrote:

We could have a GH region for all Mercosur (I'm in Uruguay)... That would be nice, don't you think?

Saludos!
    Gabriel

Argentina says YES!

Sergio :-)

PS: Ive a very big LG archive too.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:55 pm  

aurdraco wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:

I definitely applaud your effort but the legal ramifications of what you are trying to do worries me a bit (when it comes to distributing the mods themselves). However, I think an index of this material would be amazing in and of itself! Let me know what you are missing from the BK and I will see what I can help you with.

Well, actually, I meant the information IN the material rather than the materials themselves. And an index of the material is exactly what I meant by "organizing" it.

I'm pretty sure I have everything from the BK, but when the index gets finished you're more than welcome to PM me with anything I may have missed.

Last edited by bubbagump on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:55 pm  

Well, I'd say the ayes have it! Happy

We'll have to see about giving South America its own Greyhawk region . . . even if its unofficial and only honorary. Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 pm  

One mans thoughts..

Perhaps the LG regional sites could be mirrored at the server supporting CF? Links on CF pointing to original sites but changed to the mirror if they go down?
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:23 am  

rol-oeste wrote:
    carlanco wrote:
    rossik wrote:

Saludos!
    Gabriel

Argentina says YES!

Sergio :-)

PS: Ive a very big LG archive too.

that would be great! lets take Hommlet!

oh, too little, eh?
    Laughing
    funny thing is that latin america have Baldur's Gate in the Living Forgotten Realms , so there must exist a good number of players
    GreySage

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:50 am  

Kaltronas wrote:
    Perhaps the LG regional sites could be mirrored at the server supporting CF?

Well, I'll have to let those more qualified answer that one, but thanks for offering up that suggestion Kaltronas. Happy

And thanks for stopping by. This is just what Canonfire! needs, input. We need as much input as possible from as many members as possible. So let us "see" you here more often! Cool

And thanks again! Happy

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:49 pm  

Updated with some more contact info.

Casey
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:22 am  

Wow! This is exciting stuff! Smile I tried to get ahold of some Furyondy information a couple of years ago, thinking the best I might be able to get was a timeline of events. One of the triad members indicated that he might be able to help me when the LG campaign officially ended. I think the bloke was called John DuBois? Sadly he never got back to me when I followed up... Sad

Incidentally, assuming that we could make it legal exactly how hard would it be to host an archive of this size? I have a few mates that are involved in that line of work so I may be able to make a couple enquiries...

Ta.

Damien.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:56 am  

Damien wrote:
    Incidentally, assuming that we could make it legal exactly how hard would it be to host an archive of this size?

Considering the format that we are likely to use, it shouldn't be hard to host such an archive at all, even if it contained every single non-WotC owned LG offering. At the very least people will be assigned to work on a full Index of LG material. That alone would be useful. We'll host whatever else we are able to.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:35 am  

Quote:

Colombia`s in!!!!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:02 pm  

rossik wrote:

Verbobonc got Hommlet, although we weren't allowed to do anything substantial with it since WotC (at the time of the start of the LG campaign) deemed the ToEE and surrounding environs 'Core' territory and thus ineligible for development by us. Still - we managed to get a few adventures to use the town (even if one was an Intro mod).

I say given Brazil Hepmonaland - they're already familiar with jungles so they should be able to develop it pretty well.

Vernon L. Vincent
    Verbobonc Triad (retired - 594-498)
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:58 am  

vvincent wrote:
    I say given Brazil Hepmonaland - they're already familiar with jungles so they should be able to develop it pretty well.

Vernon L. Vincent

ahn.....no.

gee, tell me about prejudge, heh?

we are not familiar with jungles, and we dont live in jungles, btw.

its like saying USA is a swamp because theres one in south Georgia .
    sure, those who live in these areas know hot to handle it, but not a entire country Confused
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:52 am  

rossik wrote:
    vvincent wrote:

Vernon L. Vincent

ahn.....no.

sure, those who live in these areas know hot to handle it, but not a entire country Confused

That's what Google is for! Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:20 pm  

vvincent wrote:
    rossik wrote:

Yeah, that's the part of your map that says "Here Be Dragons"...

Shocked

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:33 pm  

Must have touched a nerve. My apologies if I gave you the impression that Brazillians lived in jungles or that I was being derrogatory. No offense was meant - it was just an offhanded remark on the topic.

Vernon

rossik wrote:
    vvincent wrote:

Vernon L. Vincent

ahn.....no.

Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:23 am  

vvincent wrote:
    Must have touched a nerve. My apologies if I gave you the impression that Brazillians lived in jungles or that I was being derrogatory. No offense was meant - it was just an offhanded remark on the topic.

Vernon

sorry if i got it to wrong way, then Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:28 am  

I used to be a member of the Onnwal Triad from 2002-2005(?) and I've archived and reworked a lot of our stuff at http://www.skerrigan.co.uk/Onnwal though RL meant I didn't put up as much as I liked.

There's a gazetteer including what was DM level material att http://www.skerrigan.co.uk/Onnwal/downloads/gazetteer.pdf and the old Player's Guide at http://www.skerrigan.co.uk/Onnwal/downloads/RPGAGaz.pdf as well as a few adventures.

Stuart
    Master Greytalker

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:33 am  

Glad to see you're keeping it alive, Stuart. Well done, mate.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:35 pm  

Stuart, thanks! I've added you and Don Brown of Nyrond to the list. Hopefully, more former Triad types will be coming out of the woodwork.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:33 am  

Bumping this to shake up the former Triad members:

I have just finished my rough draft for my summary of LG's BK events. It comes in at 129 pages long, features summaries of every BK mod and interactive, NPC write ups, indexes of BK adventures by adventure path and location and major NPC write-ups. I expect to release the final draft at the end of this month after final copy editing. Cool

What have ya'll been up to?

Casey
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 am  

aurdraco wrote:
    What have ya'll been up to?
    Casey

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/naerieLG/

I put all my Living Greyhawk adventures up there (still requires registering to get them though) as I dont see need to hoard them like a dragon anymore with LG dead and buried.

Naerie final gazetteer has been up in www.naerie.net for a while now.

Sampo Haarlaa
    Naerie Triad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:04 am  

I'd love to see this happen.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:45 am  

Oerdin wrote:
    I'd love to see this happen.

+1
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:34 pm  

Hey guys, I've been away for the best part of 7 months.

Is anything new happening on this front?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:50 am  

I don't know about anything new happening but kudos to you Damien because I'd missed this thread and the Naerie stuff above.

Cheers, dude.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:23 pm  

I finished the LG BK mod summary and NPC write-ups last year and sent them to the OJ. However, the OJ seems to be dead in the water for now.

I am continuing to work on the BK 600 CY Gazetteer. It is roughly 2/3 or more done and is very exhaustive. Here is a link to the ToC.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B4EUZ0h7JMVSMzYyM2M2MGMtZmQ4ZS00ZTA5LTg4YjgtNTU5YTM3Zjc0YjNk&hl=en&authkey=CPyd7fgD
    GreySage

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:44 pm  

@ aurdraco

That BK ToC looks quite promising. Hope the rest comes along soon. Smile

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:16 pm  

If posting/uploadingthe modules is not possible, how about at the very least getting some kind of gazetteer update of the events that went on? And what about the Core events? Is discussion of the storyline allowed without having Hasbro's lawyers ripping our throats out?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:43 pm  

Lukas wrote:
    If posting/uploadingthe modules is not possible, how about at the very least getting some kind of gazetteer update of the events that went on? And what about the Core events? Is discussion of the storyline allowed without having Hasbro's lawyers ripping our throats out?

For anyone interested in these problems and questions, I suggest joining Thursday night greytalks. I have been dragging Britt Frey, former LG Circle member and holder of a law degree, to the chats as of late. He can provide some insights into these problems and issues.

Casey
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 pm  

I just found the Naerie gazetter. Big props to that triad for wrapping things up the way they did and presenting it in a consumable form. I wish the rest of the triads had done this! I like what you've got outlined Aurdraco, this will be a big help! Now if I could just poke the Shield Lands guys with a sharp stick..
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: