Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - looking for GH fluff, also new to the site
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    looking for GH fluff, also new to the site
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:29 am  
    looking for GH fluff, also new to the site

Hi, Sorry to be a new poster who asks for help straight away, I'm new to this setting, I'm currently rounding of my DH and my SW campaigns, and I've had a request from my players to try GH. Thats cool beans, but one of my players has played in this relm before and he will sieze every oppertunity to trip me on the history and fluff.

I'm slowly chewing my way through the wiki, but I'm just curious if there a Direct download of the basic story fluff a DM should know.

thank you.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 am  

No need to be sorry, Donkas, since this site exists for just that purpose. In answer to your question, though, there is no download for the "basic story fluff". However, you should be able to find the 1983 World of Greyhawk boxed set somewhere online if you look hard enough. You're even more likely to find the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer somewhere, and it may even still be available in your local game store, especially if they have a "used" section. Barring those two possibilities, the "D&D Gazetteer" published as an accompaniment to third edition D&D is a stripped down version of the setting and may be similarly available.

And I wouldn't worry about your player trying to trip you up. One of the most basic tenets of the Greyhawk setting is that the DM is encouraged to customize it. Unlike, for example, the Forgotten Realms setting, there are no endless stacks of books detailing every tiny aspect of life in the World of Greyhawk. The articles on this site and elsewhere serve that purpose to a certain extent, but none of them are or should be considered "official" or a necessary part of the setting. Or, to put it another way, the World of Greyhawk is what you want it to be.

Feel free to drop by with any other questions you may have. You'll find the majority of the posters here are more than willing to help out in any way they can. Good gaming!
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:45 pm  

i believe that one of the most important event was the Greyhawk Wars.

from that you decide if you want to play after or before it, and then you could read the related material.

( and welcome to the boards!)
    GreySage

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:06 pm  

Welcome to Canonfire! Donkas. Happy to have you join us. Happy

As Bubbagump has said, the 1983 World of Greyhawk boxed set and the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer have everything you need to know about Greyhawk to play in that world. Both of them can be found and bought "used" on www.Amazon.com. Wink

But I encourage you to use the wiki as well. Rasgon and Robbastard have spent countless hours supplying all of us with almost limitless information. It the single greatest source for Greyhawk minutiae. Cool

And your player can't really trip you up, as Bubbagump has already suggested. You're the DM, you're in charge. Wink

And welcome again to Canonfire! Happy

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:12 pm  

Cheers lads I really appreciate it, I'm currently awaiting delivery of the box set.

I will follow up on the magazine tip too thanks.

I'm running a basic lev 1-5 run of Temple of Elemental Evil over the next couple of weeks to see if the group clicks with the setting, I really like the idea of a non regimented setting, I have to admit it was one of the reasons I wanted to try GH, My StarWars campain has to be full of fluff, and two of my players are fans of teh universe and are shokkers to keep ahead of.
    I"m used to having those two players jumping down my neck to correct timeline, logic or tech faults, It can be difficult, but nothing is better than running a game where they cant pick faults. So i was a bit preoccupied with my preparation.

So, I'm hoping to play an open world. Still, with running ToEE, I've still got a few weeks to decide a time line.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:11 pm  

One of the things I have always loved about the setting is that you can make it your own. I also like experienced GH players, but they can be irritating when they seem to know too much.

I play with a large group of experienced GH players. So, to counter this, I like to start with a simple hex. Get the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, pick a country and read it well. Pick one hex, and lay it out on graph paper. You will be surprised how big it is. Then detail that hex in rough congruency with the LGG. Then dare the player to argue with you. "Oh, I am not Lord Fauntleroy you say? Hmmm... You read it in the Player's Guide? Guards, kill him." Afer a few characters, they stop. Promise.

Welcome to Greyhawk and I hope you enjoy it.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:02 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

But I encourage you to use the wiki as well. Rasgon and Robbastard have spent countless hours supplying all of us with almost limitless information. It the single greatest source for Greyhawk minutiae. Cool

He mean sthe GH wiki btw: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: