Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk in 4th edition true or urban legend?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk in 4th edition true or urban legend?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:25 pm  
    Greyhawk in 4th edition true or urban legend?

A friend of mine told me just yesterday that he had seen in some forums that the WOTC will publish the Greyhawk in 4th edition is this true or it is an urban legent, fo u know something?

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:02 pm  

If you're referring to the various posts that include such things as...

Quote:
    4e Greyhawk (coming earliest 2010, latest 2012) will restart the setting in circa 576CY.

There will be no timeline advance. Rather, there will be a timeline retrograde.

In the restart, the Flanaess will be reimagined. Everything that has “happened” in published products will “never have happened” unless it is specifically reincorporated in the restarted setting.

Celene will be moved into the Feywild with the addition of Eladrins. Celene will be sort of like a “fortress” from which fey forces sally forth to fight evil.

Dragonborn will be incorporated. They will be from “off the map” to the south in the Amedio/Hepmonaland.

The Tieflings will be incorporated. They will not be monolithic, as in a nation. Rather, they will have origins in the Horned Society, the Sea of Dust, the Lands of Iuz, the Land of Black Ice etc. Essentially, where there are evil planar influences, there will be Tieflings.

...I believe it's a myth. As I recall, someone wrote the above as speculation shortly after 4e came out and people have recently begun quoting it as fact with no references to the source.
    e.g. this page
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:13 pm  

As of GenCon 2008 I sacrifice daily to all the gods of Greyhawk, crying, "Please, O Mighty Ones, let this be a myth!"
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:51 pm  

Urban Legand.

What we do know:

Wizards of the Coast is planning on featuring a different campaign world each year.

For 2010 it is the Dark Sun Setting.

There has not been any announcement yet on future years but most people seem to regard Greyhawk as unlikely, especially after getting so much focus with the living greyhawk campaign just a couple of years ago.

From the fan rumor mill the current front runners for the 2011 setting is Dragonlance or Planescape/spelljammer but there has not been even so much as a semi-official rumor, the WotC designers are keeping very quiet on the subject.

Other possibles are Ravenloft, Al-Quarm, Oriental Adventures, Birthright, etc. Some fans speculate that non-fantasy settings such as Modern and Starwars might get 4e treatment and be added to the mix.

Also in the rumor mill: Several years ago WotC held a contest to find a new campaign setting. The winner was Rich Baker's Eberron but WotC supposedly also bought the rights to the two runners up (one was a swashbuckling/pirate flavored setting but I'm not sure what the other was). Many speculate that we could see these two setting released in the next couple of years.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:28 pm  

(is Al-Quarm= Al-Quadin?)

also,theres a lot of Greyhawk elements in the "core" set for the 4th edition. its not suppose to be GH per se, but have some GH elements.
    GreySage

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:36 pm  

rossik wrote:

also,theres a lot of Greyhawk elements in the "core" set for the 4th edition. its not suppose to be GH per se, but have some GH elements.

It's actually spelled Al-Qadim. I'm sure that's what he meant.

4th edition has a *lot* of Greyhawk in it. Vecna, Kyuss, Acererak, the Temple of Elemental Evil, Erelhei-Cinlu, Eclavdra, Iggwilv, and many other Greyhawk things have been mentioned, sometimes in detail. There's a lengthy section on Erelhei-Cinlu in the new Underdark book.

There's also much of 4th edition core which is very setting specific, and that setting isn't the Greyhawk I know. The new Underdark book, for example, has a lot predicated on a fallen god of torture and the Underdark named Torog, and there really isn't a very good Greyhawk equivalent for him. One could adopt Torog into a Greyhawk campaign wholesale, figuring out how he fit in with the other gods of Oerth, however.

My guess is that so much of Greyhawk has been turned into core that they won't bother to release a Greyhawk setting, though. Everything they think is cool about Greyhawk they just put in a core book, so what's the point? The same is probably true for Planescape, incidentally.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:32 pm  

Heh. Incidentally, everything I *don't* like about the PoL default setting I throw out. No dragonborn, no tiefling, no shifter. I restore the Greyhawk deities, don't use the ones in the 4e setting .. Other stuff which evades me

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:13 pm  

The potential release of a 4e GH only gets easier the more that GH elements are seeded into the Core books, as was mentioned above. So really the only thing delaying it now is how much they want to plunder from GH as filler for their books before casting the rest of their cards on the table and doing a true 4e hawk. Eh.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:36 am  

rasgon wrote:
    rossik wrote:

It's actually spelled Al-Qadim. I'm sure that's what he meant.

4th edition has a *lot* of Greyhawk in it. Vecna, Kyuss, Acererak, the Temple of Elemental Evil, Erelhei-Cinlu, Eclavdra, Iggwilv, and many other Greyhawk things have been mentioned, sometimes in detail. There's a lengthy section on Erelhei-Cinlu in the new Underdark book.

There's also much of 4th edition core which is very setting specific, and that setting isn't the Greyhawk I know. The new Underdark book, for example, has a lot predicated on a fallen god of torture and the Underdark named Torog, and there really isn't a very good Greyhawk equivalent for him. One could adopt Torog into a Greyhawk campaign wholesale, figuring out how he fit in with the other gods of Oerth, however.

My guess is that so much of Greyhawk has been turned into core that they won't bother to release a Greyhawk setting, though. Everything they think is cool about Greyhawk they just put in a core book, so what's the point? The same is probably true for Planescape, incidentally.

im glad you wrote the things i wanted to say, in clear english :D
    maybe i should study more, ehehe
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:57 am  

There are a couple of previous settings that I think can be crossed off the list here which I would think brings Greyhawk closer to a 4E release.

Ravenloft has been incorporated into the core setting with Domains of Dread now existing as parts of the Shadowfell so it will not get a separate setting treatment. I would also be surprised to see Planescape given that Sigil has appeared in the DMG2 and the planar structure has been altered very substantially. I doubt it would be any Planescape setting that anyone would recognize if it was done but as a cursory reader of the 2E setting at best I may have this way off.

Personally, I think we will see Dragonlance in 2011 and Greyhawk in 2012. I also hope that it comes out as the reboot that I think was first set out by GVDammerung (apologies if accreditation or spelling are off here). It would obviously destroy a large amount of canon but on this wonderful website, what is canon exactly. If it comes out, I will buy it and as with all game books I have ever bought, I will use what I like and ignore the rest.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:09 pm  

"As of GenCon 2008 I sacrifice daily to all the gods of Greyhawk, crying, "Please, O Mighty Ones, let this be a myth!"

That's the second time I had to laugh for about 2 minutes 8after the pirate/parrot-thing) before I had any chance answering this . . . rock on, Dude!

Me too is praying and sacrificing 4e stuff that 4e will cease to exist before 2011/2012 . . . Evil Grin

Perhaps the GH-gods will hear our pleas . . .[/quote]
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 pm  

I doubt we'll see Al Qadim. It is part of Faerun for one, so players are technically "covered" and second the adventures in that setting are always 90% talking. I personally love Al Qadim adventures, but I would doubt 4E would prioritize it over other settings. I imagine Dragonlance will actually suffer heaviest. One of the reasons I have always love GH is that there is not a million novels telling fans what has already happened, Dragonlance is pretty set in stone by this point and I personally know fans that would freaking lose their minds if wotc changed the setting to incorporate 4E standards.
    GreySage

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:22 pm  

The Sea of Dust was also mentioned in Primal Power.

I don't see a 4e Greyhawk happening. James Wyatt has said he's only looking for settings that provide a substantially different experience from D&D core, and Greyhawk just doesn't, especially as they plunder/cannibalize more and more Greyhawk stuff for core use. Every Greyhawk thing described in core makes a full 4e Greyhawk release more pointless and redundant.

I don't see a 4e Planescape happening either. Without Sigil (already detailed) and the Planescape cosmology (we won't see it again), there's not much left, except maybe a book describing the factions. But that's enough only for a player's guide, not a setting book.

4e Ravenloft actually seems likely to me. None of the Ravenloft domains have been included yet in any 4th edition source, so putting it all in a setting book seems extremely doable. While Ravenloft's domains theoretically have a place in the Shadowfell (which has other Domains of Dread), none of the domains known from previous editions have been officially placed there, except by implication.

I think there will eventually be a 4th edition Ravenloft setting book and accompanying players book, and I think it'll be explicitly named as existing in the Shadowfell. But I don't think placing those nations implicitly in the Shadowfell makes a 4e Ravenloft release redundant or less likely. It just provides a convenient way to tie Ravenloft in with the 4e cosmology.

4e Spelljammer also seems likely, I think, although substantially revised from its 2e incarnation. But I think a "D&D in space" campaign sounds definitely wild and distinctive enough for them to release it, and it's not something that's been covered already (although spelljammers exist in 4e, the "D&D in space" concept doesn't).

Last edited by rasgon on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:31 pm  

no jakandor 4ed? Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:32 pm  

Thank you all for the illumination. So it is urban legend..so sad Cry

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:44 pm  

But I don't have any special information, and things change, so I could be totally wrong!
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:32 am  

so, here comes Gama World:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22322165/Damp;D_Experience_Information
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:57 pm  

Falco wrote:
    "As of GenCon 2008 I sacrifice daily to all the gods of Greyhawk, crying, "Please, O Mighty Ones, let this be a myth!"

That's the second time I had to laugh for about 2 minutes 8after the pirate/parrot-thing) before I had any chance answering this . . . rock on, Dude!

Me too is praying and sacrificing 4e stuff that 4e will cease to exist before 2011/2012 . . . Evil Grin

Perhaps the GH-gods will hear our pleas . . .
    [/quote]

I'm there for ya, buddy. I figure that if we can't laugh at tragedy it'll eventually beat us. And the only thing I want WotC beating is my...nevermind. Cool
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: