Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - WoG location for the Forge of Fury?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    WoG location for the Forge of Fury?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:52 pm  
    WoG location for the Forge of Fury?

Pardon me if I've submitted this to the wrong place.

In my efforts to build my campaign, I'm having my players begin with in the Principality of Ulek, trying valiantly to save the nation from orcish invaders. Regardless of their efforts, a large chunk of the nation is lost, and out of desperation to see his lands restored, the Prince authorizes the PCs to Legendary Forge of Durgeddin (3e Forge of Fury), hoping they'll find some gawd awesome stuff to help turn the tides of the war.

My issue lies in the placement of the adventure. Chronologically speaking, the players are active during the Greyhawk Wars/From the Ashes era. I would like to place the location of the adventure somewhere in the Lortmils, as this would directly tie in with the previous adventure, and seems completely plausable... If it weren't for the fact that during the time of the Hateful Wars, the Ulek States and Celene purged the Lormils of any evil humanoids. As a result, placing the location of the Forge of Fury in the Lortmils doesn't really mesh with the chronology of the area.

... That was a rather long-winded way to ask: Where on Oerth could I put this adventure location without having to send the PCs halfway accross the continent, but relevant enough it still respects the chronology and histories?

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 pm  

Personally I favor the Jotens for that mod, with perhaps the Crystalmists or Barrier Peaks tied for second place. The last time I played it I had the humanoids as remnants of the giantish forces that once troubled Sterich, and the forge itself dated to just after the time of Slerotin. Mysteries uncovered there led to Dark Gate and the tunnel of the Lerara, and from there into the Sea of Dust and the ruins of long-lost Andril.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:26 pm  

I put it in the foothills of the Lortmils along the northern border of the former Principality of Ulek lands, now an area overrun with humanoids of the Pomarj. That could work either pre- or post-Greyhawk Wars.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:59 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    I put it in the foothills of the Lortmils along the northern border of the former Principality of Ulek lands, now an area overrun with humanoids of the Pomarj. That could work either pre- or post-Greyhawk Wars.

That might work. When my players go through Graf Twebly's Manor (from Patriots of Ulek) I was thinking off adding a map or a letter to Turrosh Mak, or something similar, regarding the rumors of the forge. This way the player's could potentially alert the Prince to this rumor, which triggers the next adventure.

This could actually add more flavor to the original Patriots of Ulek adventure. As it is, it's pretty cut and dry, and doesn't allow much room for originality. I just need to successfully re-tool the thing so that it interacts more with the players.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:02 am  

The link I made to it was that the PCs were commissioned to find the Forge and recover as much arms and armor from the place as they could for the Safeton forces. Switch Safeton for Principality of Ulek and you could run the same hook. The PCs were given a wagon and two draft horses, plus a cart and mule for transport of both themselves and the goods(some had horses too). The slow speed of travel made for a few bandit/humanoid ambushes too. Overall it worked out fairly well. I did end up adding a whole cavern level to the adventure though.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: