JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - greyhawk olympics
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    greyhawk olympics
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:06 pm  
    greyhawk olympics

I've been watching the olympics this weekend and just had a thought...... what would the games be like if all of the nations from greyhawk had a olympic?
    What would be the games? Where would it be held? Magic enhancements or no enhancements? Summer and winter games?
    Any thoughts?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 pm  

I'd guess that very few events would happen because of all the skulduggery and assassinations going on in the background.

Beyond that, I have to think the Scarlett Brotherhood would bring home most of the medals.
    Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:47 pm  

Excellent post! This topic actually came up at my game table long ago so seeing this here is a jolt of memory. I'd say an Olympics could peaceably be done through much of the middle of the Flanaess. I could see it as a remnant of some Great Kingdom Games started by the Overking in Aerdy's heyday.
    Present political conditions, you could start with a medieval 'tourney'. My memory on what events took place is sketchy but I'm talking Jousts primarily. From this you have the potential for a HUGE talent pool.
    Keoland+sattelites+Knights of the Watch/Dispatch
    Furyondy, Veluna, Highfolk+Knights of the Hart
    Shield Lands+Knights of Holy Shielding
    Nyrond
    Urnst, Duchy and County
    Dyvers, Greyhawk City, etc (Free Lords)
    Theocracy of the Pale
    Celene (perhaps if they come out of isolation)
    United Kingdom of Ahlissa (They are stable enough to take part in organized games, unlike the rest of the former GK)

That's a huge swathe of the Flanaess and I'm sure other cases could be made. And this is just jousting! Now add events for lesser folk like Wrestling, Archery, Track and Field and you can expand a list to include farther flung places who specialize in certain sports like Perrenland, Ket, Thillonria, yes...the Scarlet Brotherhood (under the Pact of GH), etc.
    There of course would be a temptation to use Iuz, Pomarj, Bandit Kingdoms, Nomads...none of them would be trusted nor would be sincere enough to show up at a neutral site to compete peaceably. The invitation of Iuzians especially would be enough to get Good nations to drop out! I think the Scarlet Brotherhood is at least a begrudging exception since little is still known about them by other nations.
    Dramawise you could still have violent but respectful rivalries. Hextorians vs Heironeous springs to mind. Kordians vs everyone. Elves vs. Humans. Pure Suel vs mixed-bloods, etc.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:57 pm  

Heh... instead of performance enhancing drugs, the authorities may need to police illegal performance enhancing magic. I can imagine there would be fairly strict rules with regards to the type of magic permissible in different events.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:34 pm  
    Olympics, and cheating gnolls

This reminds me of a game I DM'd in which a monk got involved in something akin to a backstreet boxing circuit. There were established, and legal, but still - he ended up in the ring with a gnoll that was little more than a gladiator.

The only catch was that his "manager" (read as: co-conspirator) stood by the ring shouting and howling during the match. Turns out that he was "enhancing" the fighter, because he was a Bard using "inspire courage"!!

Yeah, it would be a difficult thing, at best, to prevent magical cheating in a athletic competition in a magical world. Especially when there's things that are made to mask those dead-giveaway magical auras. E.g., Nystul's Magical Aura. ... Wait! Shocked NOW we really know why ol' Nystul made that spell! He was doping the high jumpers!! Shocked
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:17 am  
    events

how about

Tensers floating discus throw

Javelins of lightning catch

Dwaven hammer toss

100 yard dash with haste cast on the runner

the list could go on and on but I will stop now
    CF Admin

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm  

I was inspired once by the NFL to write a sports article about a flanaess football league that is here on canonfire.

You can check it out if you like.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=513

I think Olympics - Greyhawk is an absolutely brilliant idea. I would very much appreciate a read on ones ideas of how olympics would fit in. Somebody get an article in already. Less than a week before the games are over. Cry

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:48 pm  

Here's a list i've come up with.

Track and Field - 100 yard dash, hammer throw, javelin , discus throw, long jump, archery , 400 yard relay, wrestling, shot put, and a marathon.

A sailing competition, fencing , equestrian , jousting , weightlifting, tug of war , a type of polo, martial arts and how fast you can grapple a gelatinous cube.
    Site Theocrat

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:29 pm  
    Goldfrapp gets his due....

Hi all -
    Is this only open for Greyhawk Characters?
    Because I want Goldfrapp the Nekkid Taldoran Trebuchet to be entered into this contest. Yes, he's from WoG 2.0, but then it is a WoG.

He's a Halfling [because they don't have cool names for Hobniz in WoG 2.0, except the slave name of Slips used in Cheliax] Rogue 3, Fighter 2, Bard 1 and Druid 1 (I'm going for 1st Edition style Bard here....) under Pathfinder Rules.

Here's his picture, drawn by my favorite artist Mortellan (because he's also responsible for the Theocrat Logo). Mort drew him with his underwear on, because he didn't want the Trebuchet to be showing. I hereby enter him into all the events - he'll be a little cold in Ice Hockey, but we're still entered.

Be Well. Be Well Entered.
    Theocrat Issak - for Goldfrapp.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:42 pm  

How did someone not mention curling yet?

Curling. With orc heads. I'd play that.
    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a wide-spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible. - Bertrand Russell
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: