ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The bizarre by-laws enacted by Zagig Yragerne
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The bizarre by-laws enacted by Zagig Yragerne
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:19 am  
    The bizarre by-laws enacted by Zagig Yragerne

Hello fellow Greyhawkers

I am about to run a campaign in Verbobonc, but the group will make a trip to the Free city of Greyhawk.

I was wondering if someone has made their own "complete" list of wierd and bizarre laws, made by Zagig when his madness was most full (as described on page 14 in Greyhawk: Folk, Feuds, and Factions)?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:04 pm  

It is illegal to ride a giraffe in city limits (this one I got off a list of bizarre laws in the U.S.-I believe it's on the books in arizona.)

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:01 pm  

Nightgor wrote:
    It is illegal to ride a giraffe in city limits (this one I got off a list of bizarre laws in the U.S.-I believe it's on the books in arizona.)

Good idea! Adapting weird laws from the real world is probably the easiest solution. Changing a noun or two is all that's needed to add the appropriate flavor.
    Here are a few examples from Donkeys Can't Sleep in Bathtubs and other Crazy Laws with possible modifications (don't ask why I own this book):
    *Don't go tadpole (bullywug) hunting on Sunday (Freeday).
    *If a horse keels over you should put a lantern by its head (this one is good as is).
    *No signs can be posted on telephone poles (the Selintin beacons, wizards' towers, etc.)
    *You must have a license to sell song books (magical grimoires) on the street.
    *Shellfish (halflings) may not be sold from pushcarts.
    *It's illegal to "march" down the street.
    *You must have the (Lord) Mayor's permission to hold a costume ball.
    *No snoring loud enough to awake a neighbor.
    ...etc...etc
    It would be easy for the People's Constables to construe many common adventuring activities as violations of these laws.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 am  
    Those crazy old laws (in CoG)

This is a really great idea ... there are obviously some that are better suited for GH than others, but I can only bet that there's a plethora of source materials in that book you've got, and all over the internet.

I know there was one in Corpus Christi, Texas (Padre Island where I grew up) that said that it was illegal to drive barefoot. Now, that's not too big a problem for humans, but, imagine the Hairfoot halflings, and how much trouble they'd get into over this. :D

A few others from http://www.dumblaws.com/. The first couple are from right here in Texas:
      -Wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket.
      -It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
      -If three or more Indians [orc (or 1/2 orcs)] are walking down the street together, they can be considered a war party and fired upon. [since CoG is at war with them]
      -It is a violation of city code to sell chicks or ducklings to a minor within 1 week of the Easter holiday. [holiday and animal of your choice]
      -It is illegal to spit orange peels on the sidewalk.

I actually think that the songbook thing could stand alone, in addition to the idea for magical grimoires (and/or spellbooks). Especially considering the Bard's college that's near the bridge in CoG.

BTW ... I cracked up when I read "Shellfish (halflings) ..."
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:27 am  

This is really great. Now i have something to work with.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:41 am  

Nightgor wrote:

from the AD&D toy line:
    "Name: Peralay / Melf
    Type: Good Fighter Mage Elf

Bio: Coming from a race of magical forest dwelling beings, the elf fighter is able to combine all the best traits of many beings. Able to use magical spells as well as weapons, this fighter is a truly powerful enemy to all creatures that would do harm to the forests and to those who love nature.
    Count on the elf fighter to come into battle riding a giant giraffe or some other magical mount with his magical sword flashing over his head. "

so, no love for peralay!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:06 pm  
    Re: Those crazy old laws (in CoG)

Icarus wrote:
    This is a really great idea ... there are obviously some that are better suited for GH than others, but I can only bet that there's a plethora of source materials in that book you've got, and all over the internet.

I know there was one in Corpus Christi, Texas (Padre Island where I grew up) that said that it was illegal to drive barefoot. Now, that's not too big a problem for humans, but, imagine the Hairfoot halflings, and how much trouble they'd get into over this. :D

A few others from http://www.dumblaws.com/. The first couple are from right here in Texas:
      -Wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket.
      -It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
      -If three or more Indians [orc (or 1/2 orcs)] are walking down the street together, they can be considered a war party and fired upon. [since CoG is at war with them]
      -It is a violation of city code to sell chicks or ducklings to a minor within 1 week of the Easter holiday. [holiday and animal of your choice]
      -It is illegal to spit orange peels on the sidewalk.

I actually think that the songbook thing could stand alone, in addition to the idea for magical grimoires (and/or spellbooks). Especially considering the Bard's college that's near the bridge in CoG.

BTW ... I cracked up when I read "Shellfish (halflings) ..."

Smile Yep, that's the site I remember about the giraffe. The one about indians applies to my native state of montana as well.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 am  

rossik wrote:
    Nightgor wrote:

from the AD&D toy line:
    "Name: Peralay / Melf
    Type: Good Fighter Mage Elf

Bio: Coming from a race of magical forest dwelling beings, the elf fighter is able to combine all the best traits of many beings. Able to use magical spells as well as weapons, this fighter is a truly powerful enemy to all creatures that would do harm to the forests and to those who love nature.
    Count on the elf fighter to come into battle riding a giant giraffe or some other magical mount with his magical sword flashing over his head. "

so, no love for peralay!

LOL. Can anyone picture Melf riding a giant giraffe through Greyhawk City ?
    Master Greytalker

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:55 pm  

In New Orleans, it's illegal to walk your elephant without a leash.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:18 am  

In Georgia not only can you not buy liquor on Sundays, but you can't even look at it. They put paper, blankets, or anything else they can find over the glass doors, which is comical. I don't think any of the various religions of Greyhawk prohibit drinking on special days, but perhaps Zagig wrote up a (now lost) law against drinking on certain special days. It would be interesting to see that laws effect on the taverns of the Free City. You might just have a riot on your hands in the Foreign or River Quarter.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:13 pm  

xo42 wrote:
    In Georgia not only can you not buy liquor on Sundays, but you can't even look at it. They put paper, blankets, or anything else they can find over the glass doors, which is comical. I don't think any of the various religions of Greyhawk prohibit drinking on special days, but perhaps Zagig wrote up a (now lost) law against drinking on certain special days. It would be interesting to see that laws effect on the taverns of the Free City. You might just have a riot on your hands in the Foreign or River Quarter.

I can imagine some screwed up spell that encompasses all the liquor in town making it taste like urine or something.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:03 pm  

chaoticprime wrote:
    xo42 wrote:

I can imagine some screwed up spell that encompasses all the liquor in town making it taste like urine or something.

So, ummm....

Does urine really taste that bad? I've never tried it myself... Cool Laughing
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:26 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    chaoticprime wrote:
    xo42 wrote:

So, ummm....

Does urine really taste that bad? I've never tried it myself... Cool Laughing

I should specify. Turn it into urine. You usually cannot get drunk from urine. Unless you are drinking Keith Richards' urine...if he even still does that.
    Novice

Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:24 pm  
    Ew!

Again, Ew!

How's this for one: It is illegal to fire a trebuchet in the streets of the city. (This is a real law, for Montreal, Canada if I recall correctly). The only thought I have is, who did this originally to cause this law to be placed on the books?

Heck, knowing Zagyg, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mad Archimage outlawed plaid on Starday or something. ^o0^
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: