JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Knights in the Domain of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Knights in the Domain of Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:06 pm  
    Knights in the Domain of Greyhawk

Ive a player wanting play a knight (a 3.5 class) in my Age of Worms game. I need help with knightly organizations in the Domain of Greyhawk region.

Thanks!

Sergio :-)
    Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:40 pm  

Off the top of my head, Knights that can be found in the Greyhawk (City) Domain are Kinghts of Luna (elves) from Celene and Knights of Holy Shielding (from the embattled Shield Lands). A stretch would be Knights of the Hart (Furyondy or Veluna) having come over from the lake for whatever business. Mind you none of these are knighthoods OF the GH Domain. Anyone who is a Lord or Sir of Greyhawk likely got the title in an honorary fashion.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 am  

Living Greyhawk has a lot of material on the aforementioned knighthoods including prestige classes and affiliations. Do a google search. But then the PC can always simply be of the landed gentry and well educated in the martial and court arts and not a member in any specific knighthood yet.

Dungeon 113 (August 2004) has an article on Greyhawk's Knights of Holy Shielding: Valor is Our Blood by Rick LaRue. It details the Knights of Holy Shielding 3.5e Prestige Class, as well as the history, knightly code, and prominent members of the order.

Wotc has a column on Living Greyhaw power groups here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/arch/lgpg

The Living Greyhawk Campaign Sourcebook and conversion materials(available here) has note on adapting several WotC prestige classes and the knight base class.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:13 am  
    Knighthoods in GH

As Mortellan pointed out, there are also knightly organizations that aren't necessarily "of" the Domain of GH itself, but there are the possibilities of having them "in" the Domain:

Knight Protectors - these were predominantly found in the Great Kingdom, but now that they are no more, the remaining ones could be any where. (Also a PrC in 3rd Edition)
      Glaives of Azharadian - Primarily found in Onnwal, but, certainly could be found in the Domain, especially in the CoG if they were at the Embassy Circle. Also are the Glaive Errant of the Cohort: members of the organization that are not formerly Knights by title yet, and aren't members of the Prestige Class.
      Paladins of Oerth - These articles, by our own Gary Holian found in Dragon and Dungeon magazines, greatly expound upon the orders of Paladins found in GH as a whole. Your Knight-PC doesn't necessarily have to be a Paladin to associate with these orders.

Another thing to consider, just for general Knightly goodness, is Dragon Magazine #299, whose entire theme was Knights. There is a plethora of great material here, and it has suggestions and uses for knights that are not necessarily the typical knight-in-shining-armor. There is so much bound up in this one magazine that I still use it frequently, even nearly eight years later.

Lastly, both the City of Greyhawk boxed set (in Folks, Fueds and Factions) and The Adventure Begins enumerate several different groups in the CoG that could be considered "knighthoods" that are groups of fighting men and religious orders that have knight-type members in them. These could easily be treated as a Knights Templar-type PC.

Hope this helps.
    As Theocrat Isaac might say:
    "Be Well. Be well Knighted. Benighted." Razz
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:54 pm  

There are also Knight of Greyhawk as well. If I recall correctly, one of the rewards characters receive for saving Greyhawk City in the Falcon trilogy is to be Knighted. Of course it is up to the DMF to determine what a Knight of Greyhawk is, especially in the way of developing a prestige class for it, or deciding how the Knight class fits into things.

I myself am not a fan of how the Knight class is presented. A character should become a knight, not start as one, so I would handle the class progression accordingly. I would still use the class, but I would handle it differently; mainly in saving actual knighthood for when the character actually accomplishes something worth of the title "Knight"(around 5th-7th level). A Knight also has to belong to some sort of organization/order.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:31 pm  

S2 mentions Sir Bluto Sans Pite being a "knight of the realm," and River of Blood placed his home in GH City.

Robilar was enobled by the rulers of GH, and some sources refer to him as "Sir" rather than "Lord."

I assume the title of "Knight of Greyhawk" (which doesn't actually appear in any source I currently recall), which is likely what Bluto & possibly Robilar were/are, is more of a title of ennoblement within the Domain of Greyhawk, rather than any organized chivalric order. The title would typically be granted for service to the domain, or possibly sold (in the case of GH's "petty nobles"). But there probably wouldn't be any sort of hierarchy.

I do recall one source mentioning that there are several "religious orders of knighthood" in Greyhawk, so it should be easy to create a military branch of just about any church & say your character is a member (or aspiring member).
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:32 pm  
    Re: Knights in the Domain of Greyhawk

rol-oeste wrote:
    Ive a player wanting play a knight (a 3.5 class) in my Age of Worms game. I need help with knightly organizations in the Domain of Greyhawk region.

Thanks!

Sergio :-)

Why not just make up your own order of knighthood?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: