JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Source material for Hepmonaland
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Source material for Hepmonaland
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:30 pm  
    Source material for Hepmonaland

Periodically, it comes up on these forums (and others) about using other settings as source material for the World of Greyhawk. Recently, I found a setting that I was very pleased with.

"Nyambe" came out in early Third Edition, and is set in a mythical african world. It's not Africa, but it is strongly themed and does have a great deal of legendary and fantasy elements. I was so pleased with Nyambe that I have decided that I may use it source material for adventures set in Hepmonaland. Not only are there many creatures, spells, feats and other things that convey (what I feel to be) a great "feel" for Hepmonaland, there are quite a few other things that make playing mythical African adventures a really fun diversion.

For example, there are base classes that give a "fighter" (and other classes) much more exotic feel. The "gamba", for example, is not very different, and puts things in a more setting-specific light. Also, many of the creatures have Nyambe counterpart. The Wemic, for example, is a very common monstrous humanoid in the plains (even in the Kabreevo Plains of southern Hepmonaland). In Nyambe, it is called the entare (en-TAH-ray). It's primarily the same, but has a much more exotic feel (and slightly different abilities). The human race of Nyambe even has sub-species, just like the European-inspired races of the Flanaess. I am thinking of using them for the Touv, to make them seem more diverse. To someone from the Flanaess, they'd look very similar, but to them, they are worlds apart.

There's a lot to go through here, but the point of this post, is that I am wondering what resources any of our readership has used for Hepmonland. There's bound to be a lot of stuff out there, and I am wondering what you've used. Mwangi (from Pathfinder)? Old GURPS material? Dragon Magazine? Let's see what kind of home-game material you've got? It doesn't have to be professional ... I'd love to hear about your games run in Hepmonaland, or even ones that tangentally referenced it with NPCs or items from there.

So, let's hear all about "The Dark Continent"!
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:43 am  

Would be a great place to use the Rhythm Dancer and Witch Doctor from advanced.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:21 am  

Well there are of course the old Dungeon adventures by David Howery. Elephant Graveyard from #15, The Leopard Men from #22, Ghazal from #30, Rogue from #34, The Land of Men with Tails from #54. He also wrote a few Dragon articles for 1E/2E for african themed campaigns.

The Shrine of Ilsihadur from Dungeon #10 (by another author) also fits very well.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:27 am  

Don't forget "Dwellers of the Forbidden City" which is in Hempmonaland. Also read the Solomon Kane Books by R.E. Howard. A lot of great ideas for African style Pulp Fantasy adventures.
    GreySage

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:07 am  

Thanael wrote:
    Ghazal from #30.

"Ghazal" takes place in the Bright Desert, though.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:20 am  

Whoops my bad.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:38 am  

Didn't Roger Moore write an article about fantasy Africa in some old Dragon Magazine issue?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:05 pm  

Possibly. David Howery's article "The Dark Continent" was in Dragon #189. That continent was Hepmonaland in his campaign (David Howery's, that is, not Roger Moore's).
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:46 pm  

JoseFreitas wrote:
    Didn't Roger Moore write an article about fantasy Africa in some old Dragon Magazine issue?

You may be thinking of Moore's "Green Nightmare," an article in an early Oerth Journal.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:15 am  

Found it. Issue 122, has two articles, "Gaming the Dark Continent" by Roger Moore and "Out of Africa" by Charles Saunders. Both pretty good articles, I may add, mostly new monsters and kickass illustrations.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: