Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Alliance of Niole Dra (long)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Alliance of Niole Dra (long)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:42 am  
    Alliance of Niole Dra (long)

Hey guys, I'm just curious if any of you Keoland, Gran March, Ulek, Yeomanry and Celene enthusiasts would care to hazard how many troops each of those nations committed to the struggle against Iuz after the Treaty of Niole Dra?

I'm also curious to know if anyone would hazard a guess as to how many of those troops were subsequently pulled from Furyondy when the Pomarj and Crystalmists disgorged all those pesky orcs, goblins and giants? I know that Duke Grenowin split his forces in half.

The troops being sent would have to be enough to be able to smash Iuz as it looked like he was done for with the numbers converging on him. I believe that Keoland at least sent the cream of their armies because King Scotti didn't have much to offer when Sterich and Geoff were attacked.

For my part I've come up with these rather arbitrary numbers. Unless otherwise stated, troops are human. I'd be grateful if anyone more knowledgeable could correct them.

Keoland- 10000 infantry (light, medium and heavy), 2500 crossbowmen and 1500 medium and heavy cavalry. Under command of?

Yeomanry- elite army of 700 longbowmen and 500 spearmen. Under command of?

Duchy of Ulek- 150 medium cavalry, 150 heavy cavalry, 150 light elven cavalry, 200 medium infantry (billmen), 300 wood elf archers. Under command of Duke Grenowin.

County of Ulek- 100 light cavalry, 100 medium cavalry, 200 heavy infantry pikemen, 200 combined gnome and halfling slingers/spearmen. Under command of Duke Grenowin.

Gran March- 1450 infantry and 120 Knights of the Watch under the command of a Commandant Petros.

Celene- small elite force of 400 wood elven spearmen, wood elven archers and grey elven wizards and clerics. Under command of?

Thanks very much,

Damien.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 13, 2010 10:46 am  
    Re: Alliance of Niole Dra (long)

Damien wrote:
    Hey guys, I'm just curious if any of you Keoland, Gran March, Ulek, Yeomanry and Celene enthusiasts would care to hazard how many troops each of those nations committed to the struggle against Iuz after the Treaty of Niole Dra?

I'm also curious to know if anyone would hazard a guess as to how many of those troops were subsequently pulled from Furyondy when the Pomarj and Crystalmists disgorged all those pesky orcs, goblins and giants? I know that Duke Grenowin split his forces in half.

The troops being sent would have to be enough to be able to smash Iuz as it looked like he was done for with the numbers converging on him. I believe that Keoland at least sent the cream of their armies because King Scotti didn't have much to offer when Sterich and Geoff were attacked.

For my part I've come up with these rather arbitrary numbers. Unless otherwise stated, troops are human. I'd be grateful if anyone more knowledgeable could correct them.

Keoland- 10000 infantry (light, medium and heavy), 2500 crossbowmen and 1500 medium and heavy cavalry. Under command of?

Yeomanry- elite army of 700 longbowmen and 500 spearmen. Under command of?

Duchy of Ulek- 150 medium cavalry, 150 heavy cavalry, 150 light elven cavalry, 200 medium infantry (billmen), 300 wood elf archers. Under command of Duke Grenowin.

County of Ulek- 100 light cavalry, 100 medium cavalry, 200 heavy infantry pikemen, 200 combined gnome and halfling slingers/spearmen. Under command of Duke Grenowin.

Gran March- 1450 infantry and 120 Knights of the Watch under the command of a Commandant Petros.

Celene- small elite force of 400 wood elven spearmen, wood elven archers and grey elven wizards and clerics. Under command of?

Thanks very much,

Damien.

-FWIW:

I don't have it anymore, but the greyhawk Wars game had the field armies of the various states. Based on other references (old Dragon magazine articles, WOG Gazeteer, etc), I guess-timated that 1 Infantry counter equalled 2000 men (or whatever), and one cavalry counter equalled 1000 men and 1000 mounts.

I would guess that the starting forces would have been the maximum the different countries could send, and for various reasons, they probably would have sent less. Based on that, I think your estimates might be high, particulalry for Keoland.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: