Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - What exactly happened to Rauxes?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    What exactly happened to Rauxes?
    Novice

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 am  
    What exactly happened to Rauxes?

Long time reader, first time poster, etc. I really enjoy this site, it brings back great memories of how it felt discovering the classic Greyhawk boxed set back in the 80s.

So, I've been searching the archives and I've never really found a good description of what actually happened to the city of Rauxes. I know it disappeared into some kind of vortex, but does anyone have more detailed info?

In his book "The Scar", China Mieville described a "torque bomb" that the city-state of New Crobuzon used to destroy a rival nation, leaving a kind of constantly-shifting, chaotic wasteland in its wake. My mental picture of the former Rauxes area is of something like that, though I have no canon info to back it up. I dunno, maybe it's just a big hole in the ground.

Any concrete info (or informed speculation) would be much appreciated!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:18 pm  

Try this article from Wizards

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgmp/20040114a

Cheers
    GreySage

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:46 pm  

I think the Machine of Lum the Mad somehow opened a rift to the plane of Limbo and pulled the city in, or partially within.
    Novice

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:42 pm  

Thanks both of you! That article was just what I was looking for. And I really like the idea about the Machine of Lum as well.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:15 am  

I know there were some LG scenarios dealing with the fate of Rauxes, if you can scare them up (part of the "Running with the Baatezu" series, IIRC).
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:28 am  

IMC, Rauzes is a smoking hole of the undead. It is a "fading land" but it is specifically "fading" into the lower planes where the Blood War rages in its streets. Orcus and his undead minions orchestrated/took advantage of the situation and have a slight upper hand but just barely. If Rauxes is "restored" without being fully "cleansed" first, the intrusions onto Oerth of demons and devils during the Greyhawk Wars will be repeated in a highly localized fashion, at least at first. Orcus' plan is similar to the one he attempted to suck all of Toril into the Abyss - Rauzes is to be the drain down which Oerth spirals into the Abyss.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:12 pm  

Nice link, Skech, thanks! Happy

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:17 am  
    Re: What exactly happened to Rauxes?

ThirdGorchBro wrote:
    Long time reader, first time poster, etc. I really enjoy this site, it brings back great memories of how it felt discovering the classic Greyhawk boxed set back in the 80s.

So, I've been searching the archives and I've never really found a good description of what actually happened to the city of Rauxes. I know it disappeared into some kind of vortex, but does anyone have more detailed info?

Personally, I've always envisioned it as having been the culmination of some sort of deal between an increasingly-insane Ivid and whatever diabolic patrons he was consorting with (including Baalzebul/"Baalzy"). Basically, to my mind, at some point, either Ivid promised the city and its population to the Abyss for some sort of Real Ultimate Power (a phrase I've never used before and hopefully never will again...) and after being granted it was taken along with the city to Hades, or a deal was struck, Ivid tried to renege/weasel out on it, and the devils took him and Rauxes as a forfeit.

Or... maybe the city was so far gone to the devils when the Rod of Seven Parts was finally used that the whole city was sent to Hades by its power.
    CF Admin

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 pm  

I'm almost 100% certain Sargent covered this subject in the unpublished Ivid the Undying. I recommend downloading the Allman layout, which can be done for free from ahh... here it is...

http://www.io.com/~wmallman/files/Ivid%20v3.pdf

A few years back I bet I could have made qoutes off the top of my head, but those days are now gone. Sad

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:39 am  

No, Rauxes was still extant as the capital of the Great Kingdom in Ivid the Undying. It was The Adventure Begins by Roger E. Moore that first reported that Rauxes had been ruined. I believe it was suggested the Machine of Lum the Mad might have been involved somehow.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 13, 2010 9:50 am  

rasgon wrote:
    No, Rauxes was still extant as the capital of the Great Kingdom in Ivid the Undying. It was The Adventure Begins by Roger E. Moore that first reported that Rauxes had been ruined. I believe it was suggested the Machine of Lum the Mad might have been involved somehow.

-"Ruined" can be a relative term... Evil Grin
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: