JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Symbols & crests of the Circle of Eight
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Symbols & crests of the Circle of Eight
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:08 pm  
    Symbols & crests of the Circle of Eight

Hey guys, sorry if this has already been covered at some point.I'm looking for any magical sigils or heraldic crests used by members of the Circle of Eight, both old and new. I figure that coming across them as warnings or whatnot in this or that dangerous location or magical treatise would be great ways of foreshadowing the involvement of the Co8 in my campaign. Any suggestions or illustrations that you guys have would be much appreciated.

I've at least speculated on a few of those that I don't know. This is what I have so far and where I got it from:

Mordenkainen- two lightning bolts intersecting in a V shape (OJ25).

Bigby- a hand with a stylised bee in the palm (?).

Tenser- a thin blue scimitar (Rot8, though it states there that it may just be part of a larger device)

Otto- no idea, though I figure some melding of the all-seeing eye and a something like a bass or treble clef might be appropriate.

Otiluke- no idea, but a pale blue circle with several squiggly lines or circles radiating out from it might work.

Jallarzi- no idea, but perhaps a stylised tower with a beacon on top as I like the illustration of her tower from Rot8.

Nystul- no idea again, but I figure it would be a symbol that has something to do with flannae ethnic roots. Something simple and elegant.

Drawmij- surely some kind of sea/sailing motif.

Rary- not sure, though something simple like 3 interlocking circles appeals for some reason. Two large ones with a smaller one in the middle.

I haven't really considered the pre-581 or post 585 circles yet. I'd be most grateful for any help here.

Ta.

Damien.

Last edited by Damien on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:54 pm  

I read somewhere an interview where EGG stated that the heraldry of the organization as a whole was something like sable, an infinity symbol turned on its side sable, within a roundel argent. In other words, an eight ball.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:52 am  

Perhaps some of the circle of eight choose not to use heraldry at all.

Where is it written that each preeminent wizard must have a symbol - no doubt some feel the whole concept is a tad pretentious..
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:22 pm  

Tenser's device was included in the '83 boxed set.

(EDIT: Hotlink removed.)

Bryan Blumklotz speculated on Mordenkainen's heraldry here.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: