JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Now that Dark Sun has been announced
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 4th Edition
    Now that Dark Sun has been announced
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:16 am  
    Now that Dark Sun has been announced

Has anyone heard anything official or through correspondence about a 4e sourcebook? FR got theirs. We can only hope they don't simply make it Greyhawk Wars II.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:39 pm  

Nope, and I don't expect to. All of the conversation will be about hyping Dark Sun and any other recently released, or soon to be released, products. Greyhawk is not among those, so don't expect information for it.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:32 pm  

If you look at the WotC catalog on their website, they are also releasing Gamma World using 4E rules in December. So a 4E Greyhawk book is even further away.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:32 am  

I'm guessing Spelljammer is next from some interviews I've read.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:13 am  

I haven't heard anything really about what WotC is going to be releasing after Dark Sun. Although I had an epiphany the other day. Perhaps the reason WotC decided to make Points of Light (POL) their default setting for 4th Edition was so they could bring back Greyhawk. Maybe others have already thought of that, but it made me excited none the less.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:07 am  

Dndungeoneer wrote:
    I haven't heard anything really about what WotC is going to be releasing after Dark Sun. Although I had an epiphany the other day. Perhaps the reason WotC decided to make Points of Light (POL) their default setting for 4th Edition was so they could bring back Greyhawk. Maybe others have already thought of that, but it made me excited none the less.

Perhaps you can explain your reasoning better. What does their current default setting, a generic world that incorporates aspects of the Greyhawk setting like the drow city of Erelhei-Cinlu, the Tomb of Horrors, the Temple of Elemental Evil, and the Sea of Dust, have to do with bringing back Greyhawk as a setting separate from that? I think the core "World" makes bringing back Greyhawk less likely, not more.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:58 pm  

Simply that they, meaning WotC, seem to be trying to push their core setting away from Greyhawk. So that PoL could become its own entity and allow them to republish Greyhawk without it seeming like they are just publishing PoL material.

Plus, in my honest opinion, I don't think that many D&D players are even aware that several things that have been meshed into PoL are actually Greyhawk, such as Pelor.

Didn't know they had referenced Sea of Dust or Erelhei-Cinlu for PoL actually.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:14 am  

I'm with Rasgon. In order for WotC to bring back Greyhawk, they would have to admit openly and frankly that the basis of 4E's "common understanding of D&D" is pulled from Greyhawk. Forgotten Realms' folks have denied this for years, without evidence, intelligence, or understanding. We know where the modules come from. As we know the origin campaign for the demihuman deities. To admit this would be a big step in the right direction. However, it also suggests that GH looks less appealing because it is the default "World" already. As it always has been.

WotC would have to do something truly clever, which I don't know if they're capable of doing it. They would have to introduce a setting that is:
    a) The basis of all D&D - past, present, and future.
    b) Unique in all respects, even though it's the basis of D&D
    c) Accommodating and flexible to be the core of any campaign
    d) Rich in detail and history enough to allow players and DMs alike to look into the past, not only of the setting itself but also the game itself.
    e) Lacking in metaplots, DMPCs, uberheroes everywhere, yet still able to capture the imagination.
    f) Created through gaming experience rather than novels or fluff supplements (i.e. gaming modules/adventures)
    g) Wide enough in vision to intrigue new gamers and old gamers alike.

These points are all challenges of design. They attack the core of what most published campaign settings truly are. I'm glad that WotC is getting away from item "e". Such ideas are what keep campaign worlds from being a place of ideas and more along the lines of a series of clear adventure paths. Item "g" suggests that Greyhawk's lineage isn't something to be cast aside. It's like Tolkien's LotR. When New Line was writing the scripts they always had to concede that Tolkien new what he was doing when he wrote it. Staying true to the books created a better movie. The fact that 4E is based off on the key elements that made Greyhawk spectacular (modular, accommodating, adventurous, chock full of mystery and the unexplained, built on the ruins of fallen empires). I truly think it's too much for WotC's creative ability. They'd most likely have to outsource it.

Just think about it. The other three Campaign Settings each have a metaplot:
    1) New Forgotten Realms - Spellplague (which just rips off Eberron's Dragon Marks)
    2) Eberron - the Last War (which rips off the Greyhawk Wars yet doesn't provide enough for other alternatives)
    3) Dark Sun - magic destroys the world leaving it a desert

The best ideas I've read on how to reboot Greyhawk came from this site. That's the other reason why I don't think WotC can do it. If WotC outsourced their Greyhawk project to freelance developers then I could see it being something spectacular.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 4th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: