Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - where should i start GH Wars event?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    where should i start GH Wars event?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:39 pm  
    where should i start GH Wars event?

hi guys, long time since my last post!

so, my players just had a battle against Robilar (because of the Fungi Queen accident), following Tenser and the other NPCs.

Now, they are resting in GH city, just healing, training and stuff. they are all 6th level , mixed party (2ed) with all classes and almost all races ( 6 characters).
    the thing is, im willing to end the canpaign in a big event, so i choose the greyhawk wars.

dont know yet how it will be, and what should i do. just a series of battles? a battle against iuz? should i take a module and use it?

any tip on how to DM this event will be great

(i know, i should read all the ghw boxed set, we play 1 to 1:30 hour, once a week, so we dont have much time and desire to "stretch" this campaing too long)
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:58 pm  

If you are looking to go out with a bang, the GH Wars scenarios that strike me as best would be the Battle of Critwall Bridge or the Relief of Chendl. Both are dramatic events, occur relatively early in the Greyhawk Wars, and offer multiple angles for mid-level characters to play.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:44 pm  

Tarleton gives good advice....here's a few more ideas;

If you have access to the 'Iuz the Evil' module; then you could do a 'commando strike' in the closing days of the war; or right afterwards; to rescue Earl Holmer from the dungeons of Dorakaa.

Another idea is to run the "Five Shall be One" and "Howl from the North" adventures (your characters are almost at the right starting level points); with the modifier at the end to have it be the very begining of the Greyhawk wars....

If you don't have any of the published adventures; some 'rear-guard' or 'last stand' kind of battles would include some kind of action in either Geoff or Sterich as the giants and associated humanoids come storming down out of the Corusk mountains; or the battle of Celene Pass stopping the onrush of Turrosh Mak's horde in the Pomarj.

Some other ideas that come to mind are actions against the Scarlet Brotherhood in the Iron League states or serving as part of Osson's doomed force in the Great Kingdom.

Just some random thoughts....
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 pm  

Where are the PCs from? I'd examine that angle first and then see how you can tie them into the Wars. If the PCs are just from the Free City, then what is their motivation for leaving and fighting? If you just need some epic finale battles, then I vote for battles set in the Shield Lands. A battle of Iuzian forces (humanoid armies augmented by undead and demons) fighting a nation led by paladins makes for an iconic D&D campaign, imo.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:44 am  

aurdraco wrote:
    Where are the PCs from? I'd examine that angle first and then see how you can tie them into the Wars. If the PCs are just from the Free City, then what is their motivation for leaving and fighting? If you just need some epic finale battles, then I vote for battles set in the Shield Lands. A battle of Iuzian forces (humanoid armies augmented by undead and demons) fighting a nation led by paladins makes for an iconic D&D campaign, imo.

they are from diferent places, like chendl, celene, kalkist, gnarley forest....all around "center-south" the map
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:17 am  

Then I would encourage them north as Iuz threatens Furyondy - start with the scouting the northern border. Tensions should be high and furyondy need brave souls (PCs) to gather information.

If Iuz isn't to your liking - Turrosh Mak and his orcs are about to step on to the stage maybe the elf from celene opposes the isolationist policies of the Queen. The PCs could decide to confront the humanoid menace.

You know your players which would excite them. Better yet let them choose within the context of the game. Perhaps a friend asks them to visit and expresses his fears of the orcs. An agent chats them up in a tavern and mentions furyondy needs heroes like themselves - if interested go here. That sort of thing...

It is also better when the players feel that they have made a decision rather then - you are here - this is what we are doing.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:05 am  

I had envisioned DMing a game where the PCs would work from Furyondy to retake the Shieldlands. In the course of the campaign it would be known to them that they're losing the war. The forces of evil have amassed an infernal army, so terrifying and powerful that even the stoutest heroes tremble and break. Eventually the PCs will come across a bit of intelligence where they discover that the forces of Iuz are searching for an artifact of incredible power, one that will turn the tide of the war. What they will discover is that Iuz seeks the Crook of Rao, not to use it but to destroy it. If it falls into the hands of good they will banish the backbone of his army. If it falls into the hands of Iuz, the fate of Oerik is sealed...

I wanted a campaign that would allow for skirmishes, pitched battles, espionage, commando raids, ancient lore, and treasure hunting. Sort of like "Indiana Jones" meets "Saving Private Ryan" (both Spielberg). I also didn't want anything to do with Jerry Bruckheimer Evil

The Shield Lands is fertile for a GH Wars campaign. It is so devestated by the wars itself the tone it sets for a game is bleak. Thematically you're able to explore places that PCs rarely go - Hubris and inclusion spells your doom. PCs tend to have a great deal of both. Rarely do PCs accept outsiders and often are they overconfident of their abilities. These key weaknesses cost the whole of the Shield Lands. I'd say start there!
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:32 pm  

hi guys, long time no see!

so, i came here to thanks all of you for all the help and information for my 2 years campaign (i believe).

it all ended well, with just 4 deaths in all the adventures. we finished defending Crockport from part of Iuz army, and we all had a blast!

since im starting a Dark sun campaign right now, i wont be here for a long time, i believe, but i wish you all great games, lots of fun and awesome dice rolls ;)

cheers to everyone

rafael (rossik)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: