Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Introductions and a little Greyhawk art by me...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Introductions and a little Greyhawk art by me... [ Previous  1, 2, 3  Next]
    GreySage

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:30 pm  

Glad, you just never disappoint my friend. Really looking forward to seeing the final product! Happy

Keep 'em coming! Wink

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:17 pm  

Thanks, fellas...much appreciated.

Icarus: Yeah, this one is bigger than most of my others that I do and it's definitely the biggest painting I've tackled thus far. The bugbear painting I posted prior to this sketch was 10"x 13" and this one will be 15"x 20". I do all of my paintings on heavyweight vellum illustration board. I knew I wanted to do a big battle scene, so I went with the bigger board for this one. I just hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew! Laughing

Cebrion: I appreciate the suggestion on the arrow. The measurement from the elf's cheek to where the arrow tip would stick beyond the bow at full draw is right at 3" (on the drawing itself) compared to the measurement of the cock-end of the arrow to where it's touching the breast plate of the gnoll (about 2") is about an inch in length difference.

I figure an elf's longbow using a bone-tipped arrow doesn't have quite the penetrating power when going through a metal breast plate compared to those hunting shows where the hunters are using compound bows with razord-tipped arrows through non-armor wearing deer.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:37 am  
    Arrow size

All very, very true about the arrows and whatnot.

But ... Ceb, can you be certain that the arrow hitting the gnoll hasn't just barely hit and is only just penetrating? I know the gnolls already falling, but, it's the artist's rendition, and all.

Also, I am not certain that I see a javelin-sized arrow anywhere? Are you extrapolating from how deep you assume the arrow is in the gnolls chest, or are you accidentally seeing the thng in the man's hand as extending from the bow, and looking like an arrow?

Perception changes Point of View, I suppose. :)
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Master Greytalker

Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:18 pm  

Like so many problems, this can be cleared up with a little inside knowledge. You see, the archer in question is using a bow he picked up among the Wolf Nomads. It is intended for mounted use, however, it was made for a nomad who is especially tall for his race. Thus, the bow is shorter than a longbow but still quite long for a shortbow. The arrows, on the other hand, were "acquired" from a gnoll archer who was killed three encounters prior to the one depicted. That archer was likewise taller than average for his race, and was using arrows specially tailored for his size and strength. Since the gnoll's bow was too large and heavy for our friend in the picture, he opted to keep his own bow. But since he was out of arrows he had no option but to take the oversized missiles he found in the gnoll's quiver. So the archer in the picture is using a bow only slightly too large for him with arrows that don't quite fit. He's suffering from a -2 penalty to his attack rolls and a -1 penalty to damage, since the combination is less than optimally effective. Fortunately, from that range he could hardly miss and scored a perfect heart shot. Well done, my archer friend! Cool
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:12 am  
    Re: Arrow size

Icarus wrote:
    But ... Ceb, can you be certain that the arrow hitting the gnoll hasn't just barely hit and is only just penetrating? I know the gnolls already falling, but, it's the artist's rendition, and all.

Yes, precisely because the gnoll is already falling down, and because there is no banana peel on the ground causing him to fall. Laughing

But, the arrows are made of bone, which fail to deeply penetrate most armor(and will shatter against plate armor), so the arrow is not in very deep apparently. If it were in deep, that much of the arrow would not be sticking out(i.e. it would need to be javelin length to do that).

Arrows being sunk into their targets just looks more vicious and nasty, which is why I think shortening the length of the exposed arrow would look better. Evil Grin As it is, this is what it looks like when you pick up a dice to see how much damage an arrow does and you roll a "1". Events in the game can't always be "perfect", but in art they can be. Wink

I look forward to seeing the next stage of this pic. Lots of character in there. Cool

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:34 pm  

Hahaha....I haven't checked back on this thread in a good while and rechecking it, I never could have guessed a simple thing such as "arrow penetration" in one of my doodles would bring up so much discussion.

Hey, if my art invokes ANY kind of talk....I'm happy. Wink

As far as the painting goes, I had full intentions of it being completed by this point. When I first posted the pencil sketch for the painting, it was right before me and the missus' were taking a vacation to Cancun for a week. When I got back I got started on the actual "painting" part and between having a couple big snow falls in our area, one of my major drains that runs under my house getting clogged and almost having my house catch on fire due to faulty wiring going to my hot water heater....it's been nothing short of a miracle getting any work done on the illustration up to this point.

It took two days to get the clog fixed, I just got the faulty wiring re-wired today and so starting tomorrow, I'll tackle the painting full force again. (keeps fingers crossed)

Here's the top of the painting that I've worked on so far to give you a glimpse of where I'm at with it to this point. (The flash of the camera made the biggest dwarf's cloak hood look like it had white fuzz all over it. That's just the paint reflecting off the light. And there's not a whole lot of detail on the smaller dwarf and elf due to them both being about the size of my thumb nail. Smaaaaall. ;)

More soon, fellas.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:25 am  

Always great to see the method of things. Cool

So, get out your paints people, and remember- Bob Ross says "Happy little trees, and fluffy white clouds!"

Laughing

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:30 am  

wow! nice work, especialy on the dwarf coat. very good texture!

the elf seems a little "stocky", but being the size of a thumbnail, its already a great work!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:35 am  

First time I've been through here in a while, but have to say I'm Glad ( Laughing ) I did!
    It's been years since I drew anything of note, and I have to say these are tremendous works, and - as others have already said - really capture D&D sessions in all their 'glory'!

Although Jeff Dee was always my favourite artist. Wink [/b]
    Master Greytalker

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:54 pm  

I really like you work, please keep posting.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:15 pm  

Thanks for the kind words!

Here's a couple more photos of the painting where she's at to this point. You'll have to forgive the terrible photos. I'm using a dinosaur of a digital camera (1.5 mega pixels if that tells you anything Laughing ) as my good one is with my wife who is out of town. I've still got a ways to go but I hope to be done with it by next week.

I'll tweak the ruins and stonework once everything else is finished but this is the basic layout of them...

I took a close up of the dwarf without the flash turned on because it kept washing out everything, but now it just looks dull. I'll be sure to use my good camera for the final photo once the painting is all done.

Until next post....
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:29 am  

Here's the nearly complete Ogre. The final pic with the good camera should reveal a lot more of the details on him (I hope) and I just realized there's a place I forgot to paint on him. Doh! I'll fix it before I post my next pic. Until then...

Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:22 pm  

wow!
    pure gold, man!
    does it have some "protection", or i can use it as a wallpaper? (when finished, of course :D)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 pm  

Feel free to use it as a wallpaper when it's done, rossik....and thanks, buddy.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:37 pm  

Ogre head go "POP!"

Looking good so far, though the light blue bit between the leaping dwarf's hammer and his head and the wineskin and wall top looks like it should be painted in with background tree foliage.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:28 am  
    Great paintings by Glad

Glad ... I have to say ... I am really impressed by your use of colour. I've been illustrating for over 25 years,and I hadn't really ever bothered to do anything other than B&W until last year, and I must say ... you do it well. If there was a little green ::jealous:: smiley face that I could put here, I would! Shocked Wink It's amazing to see your stuff transform from your sketches to the complete work. I love watching the process.

Keep it up, my man. When we get GLH to get that Gallery up and going, I can't wait to showcase your stuff in it's section and a thread of your very own. ... with your name on it, and everything:!: Happy
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:46 pm  

Hey fellas...thanks for the kind words. It's been a while since I've been around (and I still haven't finished that stupid painting...but soon!) but I did just get a b&w piece done that I thought you guys might like.

Have a good one!

Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:28 pm  

Very nice! You even have a little bug-eyed guy in there crapping himself and the claw marks in the stone. Awesome! Cool

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:23 am  

Thanks...glad you like it!
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:09 pm  

Hmmm. I wonder what happened to the post I just...posted. Anyway...

it said something to the effect of, "Nice job, Gladiator!"
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:20 pm  

Thanks, bubbagump!

Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:21 pm  

Astounding pic! The lighting, the characiture, the details...I love it.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:21 am  

Another great one!

Favorite detail- the thieves tool kit. Cool

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:03 am  

Fantastic stuff, Glad! The mummy rising from that coffin almost made me spot my shorts! Shocked Love it!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:41 am  

Thanks, fellas...I appreciate the kind words!

This is interior artwork for a module to be released in the fall by LL. It was written by Tim Lowell and will be titled, "Voyage To Plague Island."

I've got a step-by-step process that I did for the cover that'll get posted a little later.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:01 am  

I took photos at various stages of the acrylic cover I did for the module, as well. I'm still working on the whole "painting thing," but it's still fun to tackle the ol' acrylics.

The first photo here is of the first rough thumbnail I doodled to get an idea of the layout for the cover. As you'll see, it changes quite a bit and I eventually go for a much closer image instead of this pulled back, wide shot that shows too much of the jungle and detracts from the action going on with the characters...

This is the actual initial pencils that I lay down on the illustration board I painted on...

In this one, I cover the figures with art masking fluid so that I can lay on the background layer in broad strokes without worrying about "dirtying" my characters...

The rest is just my quirky steps to get to the final image...

And the final cover art...

GreySage

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:36 am  

Glad! You ole' scoundrel! Evil Grin

Missed you, buddy! Happy

Totally AWESOME work -- as usual. Laughing

Keep it up, my friend, I love your work! Cool Happy

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:16 am  

Thanks, buddy...I appreciate it!

I posted a few b&w pieces at the bottom of page 5, as well, but the painted cover carried over and started page 6 in case you missed them.

I'll post some new stuff as soon as they're done.

Later!
    GreySage

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:13 am  

Too cool! Cool

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:05 pm  

This last piece is amazing work Glad27. Not to be critical, but I kind of preferred the color palette of the second to last picture over the one used in the final version...

Wish I had your talent! :)

Havard
    GreySage

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:50 pm  

Love the b&w's Glad. Are they being published anyplace other than here? And do you plan on coloring any of them?

Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:28 am  

Thanks, Havard!

As far as the color pallette in the final piece, it was tweaked with PS to make the colors brighter so that they would pop off the cover like the old classic D&D modules did. The original holds a slightly more subdued look but is still quite colorful.

And MS, all of the pieces here will be in one module that is supposed to be released in the fall as part of LL's gaming system. The b&w pieces will be staying b&w, but I would like to eventually get around to doing a painting of a troll or two going up against a party.

Right now, I'm staring at two large sheets of Bristol board (14"x 17" apiece) with the beginnings of a massive battle between a good party going up against Orcus and some of his undead minions. When all is said and done, it'll be 28"x 17".

Mercy. Confused
    GreySage

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:07 am  

Excellent! Happy

Looking forward to seeing it, Glad. Cool

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:03 am  

Here's a piece I just did for Rod Waibel at Sacrosanct Games. This will be for an upcoming product labeled: Lost Treasure of Actzimotal.

Master Greytalker

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:21 am  

Another excellent piece! Ya just gotta love that dwarf with the shield.
    GreySage

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:36 am  

And the claw about to rip open the dwarf's belly! Evil Grin

Nice, Glad, very nice! Someday I'll have to produce something serious and get you to do some artwork for it . . . if you have any spare time at all by then! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:52 am  

I'm also fond of the smiley-face knee patches. Keep it up, Gladiator!
    GreySage

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:51 am  

Dang! Missed the smiley faces! Mad

Good catch, Bubbagump! Happy

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:34 pm  

That's the elf telling the giant gila monster to "Have A Nice Day!"....as he lights him up with arrows. Wink

Thanks, guys!
    Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 pm  

Wonderful piece Glad. I like art that you can look around at for a long time.

That halfling must be buff to single handedly drag the boat on shore.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:01 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Wonderful piece Glad. I like art that you can look around at for a long time.

That halfling must be buff to single handedly drag the boat on shore.

Of course he's buff; he's a halfling!

(*Bubbagump turns back to his work, "Grumble, grumble, mumble, racists!, mumble, grumble, grumble"*)
    GreySage

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:35 pm  

bubbagump wrote:
    Of course he's buff; he's a halfling!

Don't take it personally, Bubbagump. Mort and I mistook him for a Bracegirdle. Shocked

We didn't realize he was a Hairfoot. Wink

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:06 pm  

Isn't the halfling a "she"? ;)

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:40 pm  

Well, yes, but I'm not very PC. It's part of being eeeeeevil.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:03 pm  

carlanco wrote:

Yeah, it's a female halfing, thief. The first one I've ever drawn, now that I think about it. The client that hired me to do this illustration wanted a female character to be in the drawing and since he specifically had the roles of the male characters already decided on, the she-halfing got the boat pullin' duties. Smile

I've got a "dwarven clan vs a band of goblinoids" b&w piece in the works as I type this. I'm off to Con On The Cob this coming up weekend to show off some of my artwork (I've gone to the con the last two years, so this'll be my third) and plan on working on it while I'm there. It's always nice to be around fellow fantasy artists to draw inspiration from.

I'll post it as soon as it's done, fellas! Until then....
    GreySage

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:11 pm  

carlanco wrote:

Ooops! my bad! Didn't examine the anatomy that closely! Razz

*But the Scholar thinks to himself that Carlanco did! Hmmmm.* Confused

Just kidding, of course, Carlanco. Nice catch!

(That's also why I missed the hairfeet on the first look!) Embarassed

Say Glad, where happens Con On The Cob? Got a website?

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    (That's also why I missed the hairfeet on the first look!) Embarassed

How about a pair of Goggles of Minute Seeing (+5 competence bonus on Search checks) for just 1250gp? Laughing

Saludos!
    Gabriel

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:17 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    carlanco wrote:

Say Glad, where happens Con On The Cob? Got a website?

It's in Hudson, Ohio this Thursday thru Sunday. I'll be getting there around noon on Friday and stay until it ends on Sunday.

The website is: www.cononthecob.com

It's a great con that's growing every year but is still relatively small, especially compared to the likes of, say, Gencon. They have an adults only party on Saturday that separates the men from the boys. It's the one con I don't miss each year.
    GreySage

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:59 am  

Thanks for that website, Glad. Going to look into that one for sure. Cool

And thanks for that "gift," Carlanco! I can only image how many gold pieces you spent on those goggles . . . and just for me! Aww, shucks! Embarassed

I can "see" a lot better now. Wink Laughing

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:08 pm  

Can't believe it took me this long to view your artwork. Yes it feels like 1st edition artwork. Some of it reminds me of the Dungeon and Dragons cartoon artwork. If you and Mort merged we would have the worlds greatest collaboration. I'm Glad to have you on the boards. Pun intended!

I like how clean the lines are in your work as if its on the page just waiting for you to reveal it. If you get a chance you should definitely join the chats on Thursday nights fresh ideas and topics are always appreciated, especially those of us who have not fallen prey to the undead.
    Evil Grin
    GreySage

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:54 pm  

I love your artwork, Glad! Really does remind me of some of the old stuff, like the cover of The Lost City.

I am shaking my head at the situations the halfling always finds himself in in your art. Smile

Lastly, I read throught the entire thread up until this point and don't think anyone ever identified the Chasme picture on page one. That's from The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, right?

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:06 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    I love your artwork, Glad! Really does remind me of some of the old stuff, like the cover of The Lost City.

I am shaking my head at the situations the halfling always finds himself in in your art. Smile

Lastly, I read throught the entire thread up until this point and don't think anyone ever identified the Chasme picture on page one. That's from The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, right?

SirXaris

That's correct, SirXaris!

Thanks for the kind words, as well....much appreciated.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:28 am  
    Excellent

Glad - totally digging your artwork as well, being a huge fan of anyone with some artistic ability and using it for illustrative purposes. Laughing

pdx - I would report that to Amazon if you could. There are times like that I just walk away from a shady deal and get on ebay and do price comparisons and see which is best for my best options are. Good luck!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:43 pm  

One of my latest for a client, Pat Wetmore and his megadungeon over at...

http://henchmanabuse.blogspot.com/

A group of Morlocks and their pet albino ape going up against a party...

GreySage

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:28 am  

Very nice, Glad27!

I'm especially impressede with the detail on the elf. He looks great. I'm also pleased to see the the halfling avoid a humiliating pose in this picture, though the dwarf doesn't seem to be happy about taking his place. Laughing

SirXaris
    GreySage

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:36 am  

Glad! Where the HELL have you been!? Evil Grin

Good to "see" you "back" where you belong. Great work, as always. We're thinking of any "Interesting Ladies of Greyhawk" type calender. Up for the job? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Keep 'em coming! Cool

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 am  

Thanks, fellas!

@Mystic Scholar....I've been super busy with commissions! (which is a good thing!) but I'm so slammed right now with work that I don't even know how I'm going to get all of it done, so I'm unfortunately gonna have to pass on the calendar but I definitely look forward to seeing it!

I'll keep posting my art as I'm allowed to by my clients...until then...PEACE!!
    GreySage

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:44 pm  

Glad27 wrote:
    Mystic Scholar . . . I'm unfortunately gonna have to pass on the calendar but I definitely look forward to seeing it!

Cry Cry Cry

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:26 pm  

An interior piece I did for Sacrosanct Games...

GreySage

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:36 pm  

Nice, very nice! Happy

Now, if only I could get you to do the cover for my book! Evil Grin Laughing Laughing

Keep it coming, Glad! Love your work.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:19 pm  

I like the style you have. It is very reminiscent of early D&D art. I also like that it has a bit of a cartoony flair to it.
    GreySage

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:07 am  

Unless there is a specific instruction from the client demanding their inclusion that I am aware of, I must express my disapproval of the goblin mother and child in the picture.

It makes the whole scene appear reversed - that the adventuring party is the evil raiders slaughtering a family, even a village, of peaceful goblins, the father valiantly giving his life to protect his wife and children. The Dwarf even looks like he's planning to chase down the fleeing mother and child! Confused

That's not the image I have of D&D. Sad

Sorry if I'm reading it all wrong, but that's what's bothering me about the picture. Nothing wrong with the style or quality, though. Wink

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:59 am  

@SirXaris....that's exactly what the client wanted. Laughing

The module that this particular illustration was done for is a change from the normal sorts where it's a "good party" going after the "bad humanoids." Instead, the gaming group's players ARE the goblinoids and they're going up against an evil group of adventurers.

This particular scene is not meant to represent the actual gamers' characters but an innocent group of goblins/orcs getting attacked by the nemesis of the module.

So, your reaction is actually spot on with what my client wanted the illustration to convey.
    GreySage

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:24 am  

Glad27 wrote:
    @SirXaris....that's exactly what the client wanted. Laughing

The module that this particular illustration was done for is a change from the normal sorts where it's a "good party" going after the "bad humanoids." Instead, the gaming group's players ARE the goblinoids and they're going up against an evil group of adventurers.

This particular scene is not meant to represent the actual gamers' characters but an innocent group of goblins/orcs getting attacked by the nemesis of the module.

So, your reaction is actually spot on with what my client wanted the illustration to convey.

Ha! I feel much better now, knowing that my criticism was exactly the confirmation you were looking for. Laughing

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:08 am  

Another interior piece I did for Sacrosanct Games...

GreySage

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:25 am  

Excellent work, Glad! I love the attention to detail - especially the Bugbear's draconic shoulderpads. Happy

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:04 pm  

Awesone piece!

My guesses are, from left to right (sitting): Worg, Bugbear, Goblin (?), Orc King, Hobgoblin, Orc and Drow (?); (standing) Ogre (?) and I don't know what this guy is but he's missing his left ear. :D

Saludos!
    Gabriel

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:40 pm  

Glad, you never cease to impress my friend. Happy

Thanks for sharing! Cool

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:23 am  

carlanco wrote:
    Awesone piece!

My guesses are, from left to right (sitting): Worg, Bugbear, Goblin (?), Orc King, Hobgoblin, Orc and Drow (?); (standing) Ogre (?) and I don't know what this guy is but he's missing his left ear. :D

Saludos!
    Gabriel

Good job, Carlanco! (And thanks, Mystic-Scholar and SirXaris!)

Both of the standing guards behind the orc king are ogres...I've always envisioned ogres to vary amongst themselves much the same way humans have different looks when it comes to facial features. The hooded guy is a mystery. The client that hired me to do the illustration said to just draw a "mysterious goblinoid creature with a hood on that hides his features." I can certainly undertand seeing it as a drow though.

Couple of creature illustrations (of a recent client's creation) that I did for his megadungeon module in the same vein as Monster Manual illustrations...

A Grunkie...

A Dober Man...

A Corpse Jelly...

A Jawhead...

And a Blade Zombie...
    GreySage

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:15 pm  

Nice drawings, Glad, though I can't help noticing that the Corpse Jelly looks just like a Newhon Ghoul. Wink

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:44 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Nice drawings, Glad, though I can't help noticing that the Corpse Jelly looks just like a Newhon Ghoul. Wink

SirXaris

Thanks, SirXaris...

Not sure what a Newhon Ghoul is, but the client's description for the Corpse Jelly was that it's a jelly that devours the flesh of humanoids, yet the bones, clothing and armor stay intact. So the jelly actually takes the place of the flesh of humanoids and forms around the skeleton of the victim, making a sort of see-through exterior where the skin and muscle would normally be. The jelly moves the skeleton and clothing/armor around in a shuffling manner.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:15 pm  

Newhon Ghouls are not really undead, but a humanoid race that is mostly transparent. You can see their bones. Otherwise their skin, vascular, and other organ systems are almost completely transparent and barely noticeable, such that at not too great a distance they appear to be animated skeletons.

This art is very nice. War council or something similar. Nice subject matter to be sure, and not often seen.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:17 pm  

Glad27 wrote:
    Not sure what a Newhon Ghoul is, ...

Cebrion got it right. They're from the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser books. Wink

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:16 pm  

Love your style it's no wonder your clients are keeping you busy.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:46 pm  

Man between Icarus and Glad I am in Fantasy Art heaven. Like everyone before me that old school feel you get from your illustrations is amazing. It really feels like 'another day at the office' for an adventuring party.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:01 pm  

Thanks, fellas!

Here's another interior piece that I did for a client's megadungeon module....

GreySage

Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:37 pm  

Very nice, Glad. But you already knew that, didn't you? Wink

So, does your hand ever cramp up? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 pm  

Excellent work, Glad! Happy

Can you tell us what product this piece is in?

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:42 am  

Thanks, guys...and to answer your questions...yes, my hand cramps and my back aches all the time from drawing. Par for the course, I guess. Wink And the product is a megadungeon module that I believe is being published for Gen Con this year, created by Pat Wetmore...not sure what the title of it is just yet. When I do, I'll let you know!

Couple more "monster" illustrations for it...

GreySage

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 pm  

Nice, Glad. Looking forward to more! Happy

Sat May 28, 2011 10:00 am  

Green Dragon Encounter...

GreySage

Sat May 28, 2011 10:54 am  

Oh, unlucky dwarf! Hope the reinforcements get there quickly. Shocked

SirXaris
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:42 am  

Very nice! Cool

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:25 am  

Well, look at what I found! Cool

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/

Well done, Glad! Happy

SirXaris

P.S. Scroll near the bottom of the page for another example of Glad's work that you'll recognize from this thread. SX
    GreySage

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:51 pm  

Glad, you never fail to impress. Keep 'em coming my talented friend. Wink

As you may be aware, Sir Xaris, Mort links many such sites on his own blog:

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/

Give it a look, if you haven't already. Though I realize you were probably highlighting Glad's work showing up on Grognardia. Evil Grin

And, yes, Glad's work is starting to show up all over. People recognize the talent. Wink

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:27 pm  

Glad,

Very talented I like the nostalgic fell of your artwork. A bit of cartoonist with some really deep facial expressions. Glad no pun intended that you shared it with us here.

Best of luck and continued success.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:30 am  

Been a while since I've posted anything but this was an interior piece I did for a client's module. I've got a ton of commission work as of right now, so I'll have some more stuff to post in the near future.

*And thanks for the kind words from my previous post!

Adept Greytalker

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:12 am  
    !

Sweet!
    GreySage

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:44 am  

Your awesomeness knows no bounds, Glad! Evil Grin

Glad you made it "back" for a visit. Hope to "see" you again soon. Wink

Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:50 pm  

Glad27,

Great piece of work I always enjoy seeing what you bring to the table. Keep the inspiring art work coming.

Later

Argon
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:29 pm  

I mistakenly clicked on the thread title to check on the thread, and went to page 1. Rather than move straight to the last page, I went through each page one at a time, as this thread really is sort of a retrospective of your work. I invite everyone else to look back at the whole thread too, paying attention to which are the oldest works and which are the newer. In what is really short amount of time, you have vastly improved your line work, shading, rendering of scenery, and your composition- a total improvement.

While your artistic influences are obvious(Holloway), you do have your own style, and I've seen another artist(sculptor Juan Diaz) developmentally go from being somewhat of a mimic of another artist(sculptor Chris Fitzpatrick) to becoming one of the top artists in his field; with an exceptional style all of his own(Juan really is a badarse sculptor now). I think you are well on your way to doing the very same thing. This is just great stuff, and at this rate you could end up becoming one of the iconic illustrators of the RPG industry. Seriously. I look forward to whatever comes next. Cool

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:12 pm  

Well, now. We have some interesting stuff going on here. I initially assumed that the treants and the trolls were all offended at the fire and about to attack the PCs (those trolls don't appear to be frightened by such a small fire). Then, I caught the upper troll's arm wrapped up in one of the treant's branches as if the treant were protecting the adventurers from the troll's attack.

I like the different beards possessed by each treant and the cloudy eye of the one on the right.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:56 am  

Thanks everyone for the kind words...it's what keeps me trying to get better at this whole art thang. And thanks for the words of confidence on my art, Cebrion. I'm always trying to improve, so your words of encouragement might mean I'm on the right track.

Thanks again everyone! Happy
    Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:27 pm  

Glad, it's awesome to see you getting so much work. When I see your art attached to a product now it's cool to know I saw your stuff here first. Good luck in the coming year!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 pm  

Thanks, Mortellan!

Blue Dragon Attack...

Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:22 am  

Caption contest GO!!!

"I told you we should have brought Burglar Baggins!" Laughing

(Hiding the ol' signature in the carved stonework. Nice!) Wink

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 pm  

Never mess with an evil necromancer when he has an undead stone giant at his disposal.

Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:25 pm  

Damn, I thought we called no giants on this one!

The guy with the mace looks like he knows it's the end, or that the mace will not be enough. Great stuff as always I look forward to seeing your next work. Feel free to share more at anytime.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:28 pm  

Latest module cover for Pat Wetmore's ASE 2 module....

GreySage

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:31 am  

Beautiful! Reminds me of the Jingling Mordo Circus! Happy

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3  Next]
    Page 2 of 3

Jump to: