JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Aquaria - New Empyrea
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Aquaria - New Empyrea
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:23 pm  
    Aquaria - New Empyrea

Anybody know a map (canon/fanon) with the flanaess & new empyrea in?

In the Duicarthan map (http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan/oerth.jpg) there are no references to this mass land in Solnor ocean.

IMC (age of worms, 595 CY) there is a PJ with a silver dragon in their background and my idea is to use Falx (a silver dragon from I12: Egg of the Phoenix adventure, set in aquaria).

Thanks in advance!

Sergio :-)
    Master Greytalker

Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:03 pm  

I know Duicarthan has done some work on Aquaria, so you might want to try contacting him.
    GreySage

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:19 am  

R-4 Doc's Island describes Aquaria as "a small territory 5,000 miles east of the continent known as Oerik." Note that the Solnor is only 3,000 miles (a thousand leagues) across, according to the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. Therefore, Aquaria is not in the Solnor Ocean.

It was probably Frank Mentzer's intent that it was across the Solnor Ocean, of course; he simply had a larger Solnor Ocean in mind. But either way, if you accept the Dragon Annual #1 map of Oerth, Aquaria is probably on the west coast of Oerik. The description of the Empire of Lynn in DA #1 says it was "perhaps settled by seafarers from the Flanaess," which suggests to me that the intent was that it was Aquaria. Substitute "fabled city of Empyrea" for "fabled city of Lynn" and you're set. The 3rd edition Chainmail/Sundered Empire setting also seems to have a similar background. I'd just place the Aquaria map on the west coast of Oerik; it's a pretty small area, and easy to fit just about anywhere.

You can find an excellent map of Aquaria here.

Note that Frank Mentzer's Aquaria is based heavily on the Wilderlands of High Fantasy from Judges' Guild, in the "Valon and the Isles of Pokrantil" region. The place names and geography are basically identical. So you might consider using the Wilderlands to expand on the Aquaria map.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:47 am  

"Note that Frank Mentzer's Aquaria is based heavily on the Wilderlands of High Fantasy from Judges' Guild, in the "Valon and the Isles of Pokrantil" region. The place names and geography are basically identical. So you might consider using the Wilderlands to expand on the Aquaria map."

I had no idea about this. Thanks for the thought-bug!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:24 pm  

I have a color map of a decent portion of the Aquarian coastline that I ran up based on one of Frank Mentzer's online campaign maps from ages ago in the AOL folders. It was part of a zip file that had several campaign snippets and some gazeteer information sketched out for players which I managed to recover via the Wayback machine about 5 or 6 years back. Frank asked for a copy of the zip file a year or two ago, which I gladly sent him, since he had lost his copy. I also sent him the color map I had done.

It's not the entire continent by any means, but it does add a bit of detail compared to the map you get with I12 and the various R1-4 overland maps. Additionally, there was a 1E RPGA module (published in Polyhedron, I believe) called R5 - The Great Bugbear hunt that Frank confirmed was also part of the Aquarian campaign, so I gave it a tentative location as well.

I'm looking to create an Aquarian gazeteer based on that map and the zip information, but in the meantime, if you are looking for a bit more detail, I'd happily e-mail the map to you. Just PM me here at CF if you are interested.

Regards!

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:47 am  

I'd truly love to see a full gazetteer and map of Aquaria sometime. Is there any truth to the rumor that such a thing is in the works? Or is seeing a full treatment of Aquaria about as likely as seeing a full Gygaxian treatment of Castle Greyhawk?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:54 am  

bubbagump wrote:
    I'd truly love to see a full gazetteer and map of Aquaria sometime. Is there any truth to the rumor that such a thing is in the works? Or is seeing a full treatment of Aquaria about as likely as seeing a full Gygaxian treatment of Castle Greyhawk?

Yeah, Frank Mentzer is working for publishing Aquaria, look at the Aquaria forum at The Piazza:

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewforum.php?f=64

Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:56 am  

Braggi wrote:
    I'm looking to create an Aquarian gazeteer based on that map and the zip information, but in the meantime, if you are looking for a bit more detail, I'd happily e-mail the map to you. Just PM me here at CF if you are interested.

Done!

Master Greytalker

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:56 am  

rol-oeste wrote:
    bubbagump wrote:

Yeah, Frank Mentzer is working for publishing Aquaria, look at the Aquaria forum at The Piazza:

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewforum.php?f=64

Good to know! I don't get by the Piazza often enough.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:09 pm  

I hope that Eldritch Enterprises will get a fully fledged Aquaria setting realized some day.

-Havard
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: