JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Land of Black Ice /Burneal Forest
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Land of Black Ice /Burneal Forest
    Novice

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:55 pm  
    Land of Black Ice /Burneal Forest

Hi all second post (not even sure if this is the right place) just looking for some feedback.
    Ever since I was a kid the Land of Black Ice has had my interest, I guess it was the mystery of why it's black, what would live in that environment, what lies beyond it.

Back in the day I purchased the module City of the Gods (bare with me it has been about 25 years) but it was a Dave Arneson project in his setting of Blackmoor which is very different geographically then the Greyhawk Blackmoor.

I am tying to incorporate some of the ideas from the City of the Gods and tie it into a story line with the Greyhawk setting. So far my ideas are that the City of the Gods which was a large space ship actually had radiation leaking from the vessel (sort of a reactor leak) the leak which caused environmental changes to life forms as well as weather caused the ice to turn to its blackish color.

To attempt to bridge the Iuz connection as to why he or his minions will not enter into that area is a direct fear to the Gods sorcery (technology) weapons that can’t be explained, as well as the radiation from the area effecting the Old One’s magical abilities. But the Old One wishes to seek that sorcery for his worldly evil conquest.

Lastly, my goal is to set a story line of a lone adventurer who leaves the Land of Black Ice, I am thinking of an Elf perhaps some sort of Frost Elf or Snow Elf who is a monk adventuring south to seek a truth he could not obtain from his clan. Truth be told that the long forgotten long thought extinct Clan of Ice Elves are protecting the technology of the space ship (City of the Gods) from the although powerful the short sided human wizards of the south who brought the two great disasters to the Flanaess (invoked Devastation and The Rain of Colorless Fire) if that technology was to ever fall into such hands the world would no longer exist.

So any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:57 pm  

Sounds like you are crossing kung fu (tv series) with stargate atlantis, which you could run your idea with only beings with a certain bloodline (gene) are able to operate any of the technology found within the city.

Of course if you put that in the players hands you need to make sure to limit the amount of energy said items might have. Kinda like army of darkness "how shotgun shells do you have?" because they be considered gods til it runs out.

I actually used the area in an old game, that the ice turned black because 7 heros ascended to godhood there during the imprisonment of tharizdun.

There is a greyhawk module "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" thats uses a downed spaceship idea in it.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 am  

This is one of my favorite pet topics. I hope this old thread helps. There are many Blackmoor related threads on CF including the sub-forum of the Far North Design Project which might have some tidbits you could use.

This is a good thread to read if you are interested in the spaceship factor:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3656
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:45 am  

king_joshua wrote:
    I actually used the area in an old game, that the ice turned black because 7 heros ascended to godhood there during the imprisonment of tharizdun.

In my "Into the Land of Black Ice" campaign, the ice was magical "fallout" from the summoning of the Rain of Colorless Fire... Rain of Colorless Fire - Blizzard of Black Ice...

It was also planar in nature, being an amalgam of bits of the lower planes where acidic snows, strange colored ice, and similar phenomenon were common.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: