Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Want your own forum on Canonfire? You can!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    Want your own forum on Canonfire? You can!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:31 pm  
    Want your own forum on Canonfire? You can!

That's right, you can have your very own forum, right here on the Canonfire forums!

There's a catch though, the topic of your forum must fit two criteria:

1) It has to relate to Greyhawk in some way.

2) It has to be a narrow enough topic that posting discussions about it here in the general discussion forum, or another sub-forum would be awkward or counterproductive.

Well, there's a 3rd criteria, the Canonfire staff has to approve it, but if you meet the first two requirements, the third is usually no problem at all.

Want to focus and organize some of your collaborators on a special project? Want to host your own play by post online game here?

Let Dethand know via Private Message, or via email (dethand@canonfire.com) and he'll work out the details.

For examples of how a hosted forum would work, just check out the Oerth Journal and Old Lore: Greyhawk for Classic D&D forums from the main index page.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:53 am  
    Questions

Hi there,

First off, I think the idea of specialized forums is fantastic. However, I have some questions.

I think others might have similar questions about this new option so I am posting this rather than taking it to PM.

Question 1 - Who administers these specialized forums?

Obviously, these forums need to remain on topic and need to remain productive. If clearly off-topic posts are made (eg US politics), who is responsible for getting these posts removed?

If a disagreement devolves into "flames" (eg name calling), who has responsibility for getting those posts removed?

I think the idea of specialized forums is a great one but I know I would not necessarily want to take on the responsibility of administering one in the sense of being a "watchdog" or "enforcer."

Question 2 - When one of the specialized forums is suggested and approved, what rights, obligations and/or duties does the person who suggested the new specialized forum have as the person who got it started?

Question 3 - What level of activity in a specialized forum is necessary in order to maintain it as a specialized forum?

For example, if there are no posts to the specialized forum for 30 days, will it be shut down?

Please pardon these questions if they are not appropriate to this thread.

GVD

Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:26 am  

I certainly must say that GVD has a knack for asking the good questions :)
    CF Admin

Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:28 am  

I've emailed the proper "authorities," to bring their attention to your questions.

Hopefully you guys will have some answers soon. Wink

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:22 am  
    Re: Questions

GVDammerung wrote:

Question 1 - Who administers these specialized forums?

Obviously, these forums need to remain on topic and need to remain productive. If clearly off-topic posts are made (eg US politics), who is responsible for getting these posts removed?

If a disagreement devolves into "flames" (eg name calling), who has responsibility for getting those posts removed?

I think the idea of specialized forums is a great one but I know I would not necessarily want to take on the responsibility of administering one in the sense of being a "watchdog" or "enforcer."

For now, the actual administration (thread deletions, post deletions, enforcement of CF and hosted forum rules) remains the duty of the CF staff, through me or Gary Holian (Psmedger)

Quote:
    Question 2 - When one of the specialized forums is suggested and approved, what rights, obligations and/or duties does the person who suggested the new specialized forum have as the person who got it started?

Well, the only obligation, per se, is that you write an introductory statement and (hopefully) make some posts to get the ball rolling. You have the right as well to monitor your forum and request administrative action when such is needed. For the time being however, Gary and I have decided that hosts will not have actual moderator privileges themselves. We'll generally work with you to maintain the spirit of the forum you requested, but until the staff has worked out some minor issues regarding overall forum rules and policies, and the hosted forums have had a solid trial period, actual administration will remain the responsibility of the staff.

Quote:
    Question 3 - What level of activity in a specialized forum is necessary in order to maintain it as a specialized forum?

For example, if there are no posts to the specialized forum for 30 days, will it be shut down?

We wont shut your forum down for being low traffic. If you decide that the idea tanked and you don't want the trouble of hosting it anymore, we'll delete it, unless you want to offer the reigns to someone else. In the case of a forum deletion, all posts there would be moved to general discussion for archival.

Quote:

Please pardon these questions if they are not appropriate to this thread.

Not at all, happy to clarify things.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:12 pm  
    product specific forums

Hi,

Wouldn't it be an idea to make different forums for the different "classic" adventures like GDQ1-7, A1-4, ToEE etc. like they have done on the necromancergames website for their adventures.

The svgames download site shows that the PDF's of these "golden oldies" are bought frequently and ebay shows a frequent trade in old modules so there are bound to be many DM's who are or are planning to (me for GDQ for instance) run these modules. On these forums those DM's who are currently running the modules can ask questions about conversions, tactics, backgroundstories while those who have run them can bask in nostalgia and help the former DM's at the same time.

Arjen
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:39 am  

Abysslin and ForumFire,

Thank you for your responses and your help. It is appreciated.

GVD

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:12 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Abysslin and ForumFire,GVD

Forumfire is chatdemon, right?
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:15 am  

Tzelios wrote:
    GVDammerung wrote:
    Abysslin and ForumFire,GVD

Forumfire is chatdemon, right?

No, ForumFire was Maria/Despotrix, but the ForumFire account is now deactivated by Gary.

I am, and always have been, just chatdemon and richadmin.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:50 pm  

If it's still possible, I'd like to vote for some PbP - boards... Traffic here is low these days, and I think such games would maybe bring the community more close.

I personally can't offer to host a game in the forseeable future, since I am going to start a big campaign over at the Fraternity of Shadows (check my sig), but I am sure there'd be enough who would be interested in playing/DM Greyhawk here. Smile

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:02 pm  
    Play by Post game

I'd been planing on running a play by post thru yahoo groups that I'd like to run here.
    Set in Greyhawk using a lite Heroquest ruleset (not the board game)
    Thanks,
    Andy
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.39 Seconds