JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Candy and The World of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Candy and The World of Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:20 pm  
    Candy and The World of Greyhawk

I'm cobbling together a campaign based around an adventuring company sponsored by an established and pioneering business in the City of Greyhawk - "Spelloyal's Confections" - to find and discover ingredients for current and yet undiscovered flavors set after the Greyhawk Wars. Having been producing candy and sweets for a generation, Spelloyal's is getting a great reputation (they invented licorice which has garnered attention across the continent, sending one of the owner's sons (a player character) to Greyhawk School of Wizardry) and it's time to grow the business...

Doing a bit of research on medieval candy, it dawned on me that chocolate probably has not been discovered yet, (Expedition to the Amedio Jungle, anyone?) which leaves me with honey, nuts, fruits and berries, various native tree barks and saps that make very basic sweets and I want to go bigger past peanut brittle and marzipan.

For many adventure hooks, the ultimate treasures will be undiscovered or known, but hard to obtain ingredients hidden in nearby and far-flung locales that are rewarded with gold. I want to pepper the adventures with fun, fantastic, experiences and incorporate Spelljammer stuff (a company ship perhaps?) to give the adventurers a base of operations of sorts without getting too "Willy Wonka" or getting too silly.

I guess I'm looking for some interesting hooks, locations, ideas, existing modules, types of candy, types of NPCs, villains, etc. to incorporate into this backdrop.

Idea Some ideas:

A powerful mage has taken a liking to a certain blue hard candy (Tenser), but sadly the key ingredient to making his favorite treat is a mushroom that only grows deep in a certain forest, guarded jealously by a band of goblins.

The Rhenee have a closely guarded recipe they might be willing to trade something of great value for... something maybe the adventurers might get for them. What is it and where would it be found? Can the Rhenee be trusted?

Druids of the Stone Circle outside of the city have stumbled across a series of caves underneath the sacred ground the circle sits upon. Worried about the ground collapsing and destroying holy ground and a place where
    they worship. One of the initiates who went into the cave complex returned with tales of horrible living slimes! With the caves in danger of collapsing, the threat of slimes coming out into the countryside, the druids have turned to the Spelloyal's who now have plans to harvest the slime to make a new candy. But what else is down there?

An old enemy of the Spelloyal family has returned to Greyhawk. The story is Spelloyal Sr. had a business venture with a surgeon to create lozenges but the business deal became acrimonious. After many years, this NPC is now making claims he has papers that shows he owns the property where the family storefront is and wants them to vacate in 2 weeks... but if the adventurers can obtain a set of magical tools and tomes thought to be in a dungeon in the Cairn Hills... well, maybe he'll hand those deeds and papers back over.

What else? Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:44 pm  

Nothing to add, but this is a pretty awesome concept for a campaign! I love it! Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:57 pm  

Perhaps a bit too close to the real world but how about ice cream from the far Western, Oriental lands?

There is an article here somewhere about Oerth's versions of coffee which you could also, potentially, incorporate.

Sounds like good fun!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 pm  
    Keep 'em coming

Thanks for input and suggestion! I'll have to look for that coffee article. Any ideas are welcome.
    Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:14 am  

Yarpick trees produce nuts as large as plums and can be roasted or ground into meal. I'd say these would come in handy. Look into the fruit of other Greyhawk trees as well.

Also if anyone has them handy, search around Falcon's Bazaar in Dragon 271 and Annual #3.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:24 am  

You can also consider sugar cane plantations in the Amedio area, perhaps run/overseen by the Scarlet Brotherhood.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:20 am  
    Fantastic!

Both Dragon issues are available on ebay - sweet!

And looking over my original boxed set - yep - right there is some native tree information. Maybe the Treasures of Greyhawk book might spark some more exotic ideas too.

Can anyone think of other supplements which might fit the bill?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:50 pm  

From Vale of the Mage (p. 4) there is a fruit tree similar to the banana that grows only in the Vale. The fruit is called idani and varies in taste, color and texture depending on its ripeness, from dusty rose (firm and tart) to deep purple (pulpy and sweet).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:19 pm  

Awesome. Gives an excuse to get involved in that area - thank you!

I was extra excited today so I whipped up a sign that might hang on the outside of the shop and translate to letterhead or emblazoned on the side of a Spelljammer ship... ooo... this is going to be fun!

Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:13 pm  

I envision dwarves mining rock candy...

"Oh, the buzzin’ of the bees and the cigarette trees
    The soda water fountain
    Where the lemonade springs and the bluebird sings
    In that Big Rock Candy Mountain."
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:41 pm  

Aeolius wrote:
    I envision dwarves mining rock candy...

"Oh, the buzzin’ of the bees and the cigarette trees
    The soda water fountain
    Where the lemonade springs and the bluebird sings
    In that Big Rock Candy Mountain."

You know. I thought you were going to be proposing some disgusting seaweed candy. Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:41 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    You know. I thought you were going to be proposing some disgusting seaweed candy. Smile

I did bring some kelp candy back from Taiwan... it wasn't half-bad.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:09 pm  

As far as exotic locales there are various modules and supplements to fit the bill. X1 isle of Dred would be a must have for this sort of thing and the Scarlet Brotherhood would be another even if the Info on the jungle Areas is a bit scant. Also I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City would be a good one too. Also check out the Solomon Kane Stories of Robert E Howard for some more Jungle and lost civilization adventure Ideas.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:41 pm  

Another adventure idea:

The party tries to rescue a confectioner or his recipe book from either Scant or the Hold of the Sea Princes. The latter is particualrly appealing, as the recipes might include tropical fruit ingredients, leading the payers onto further efforts in the Amedio.

A good reference book might be

The Taste of Conquest: The Rise and Fall of the Great Cities of Spice
    It details the spice trade between Asia and Europe and how control of it shifted between Venice, Lisbon, and finally Amsterdam. It is a pretty good read, and though the players are not dealing in spices, it is similar enough I would think to provoke a few ideas.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:58 am  

I am sure that I shall be castigated for this, but the much maligned WG7, Castle Greyhawk had an adventure revolving around cooks (including a candy maker). It was entitled "Too Many Cooks".
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:58 am  
    You know...

I'm really liking the suggestions and pointers in the right direction, having been away from my books for so long, it feels like old times. Lots of little threads to pull on and I really, really appreciate it.

You know... Happy I was thinking of that terrible, terrible moment I opened that module all those years ago, read those things in 'Too Many Cooks' and thought "These items (working ones that didn't hurt you) in here would be household 'want' and 'need' items for the rich and motivated if they weren't so insane, but this module is unplayable." Confused Shocked I was just thinking of yoinking some of the things from there and incorporating the ideas of them elsewhere as they could be incredibly useful but dumping the rest (I actually just downloaded the home brew Castle Zagyg from Grehawk Grognard instead.) I could see a refrigerator/freezer type device in the warehouse of the candy shop highly useful, but also at the culinary school, any shop which has perishable items or even at one of the more well-to-do restaurants/taverns in Greyhawk which would add a layer to the themes in my game and make the world more rounded out the way I see it.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:13 pm  

warlock wrote:
    You can also consider sugar cane plantations in the Amedio area, perhaps run/overseen by the Scarlet Brotherhood.

-You'd also have sugar in the Sea Princes and the Lordship of the Isles (both run by the Scarlet Brotherhood in the post GW era). Maybe in the Sea Barons or on Lendore Isle (although I do not remeber it mentioned in the L series or Ivid the Undying).

warlock wrote:
    Perhaps a bit too close to the real world but how about ice cream from the far Western, Oriental lands?

-There's an ice cream parlor in the town of Rockburgh in the Tors-- one of the many things some people hate about Gargoyles-- but I simply accepted it as a Halfing thing. I assume that the have an magical ice cream maker. Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:15 pm  

no need for a magical one. All you need is a source of Ice. Since they are in the highlands they probably get a decent winter and can store Ice for quite a long time in a properly built Ice House without the use of refrigeration.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:25 pm  

vonbek wrote:
    no need for a magical one...

-Hmmm... I figured south of 30 degrees latitude, at an altitude of under 2000 feet. Possible, but I figured magic is easier. I haven't actually DMed it yet, so my mind is open! Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:13 am  
    Some candy for thought

I came up with all sorts of confections for a menu. Here are my favorites:

Phostwood Ghosts - oblong bars of mallow mixed with extract of phostwood, so they glow in the dark. A crunchy cookie underlay and a stripe of seasonal berry jam.

Wizard's Purse - small and edible, thick and sweetened rice paper shells filled with a semi-sweet yarpick nut butter and minced candied fruit mixture, then dipped in a tart, fruity and dazzling crystalline powder.

Gems of the Flanaess - sweet, long-lasting, multicolored, hard "gemstones" flavored with fruit extracts.

Spelloyal Surprises - globes of a near magical substance rolled in thrice-honeyed apple bits. The Spelloyal's keep the ingredients a family secret. Kids love to pull these in half and share with friends, sometimes stretching them to great lengths, which generates multi-colored sparks (completely harmless). The elastic stuff inside has a tart flavor that bubbles mildly over the tongue.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:30 pm  

You know, I heard some guy ate a Spelloyal Surprise while drinking Velunan sparkling wine and his stomach exploded.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:31 pm  

LMAO @Smillan, sounds like something for The College of Esoteric Research err Mythbusters!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 am  

Laughing Smillan, don't let Mr. Spelloyal hear that stuff. Just last week he heard two gossipy mothers tutting at his window display saying the same thing! He spent a better half of the day up in his office with the door closed.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:50 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    You know, I heard some guy ate a Spelloyal Surprise while drinking Velunan sparkling wine and his stomach exploded.

That would be sir Michael deVida of the Great Kingdom if I am not mistaken.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    vonbek wrote:
    no need for a magical one...

-Hmmm... I figured south of 30 degrees latitude, at an altitude of under 2000 feet. Possible, but I figured magic is easier. I haven't actually DMed it yet, so my mind is open! Laughing

Didn't think about the location so much but I don't think magic would be easier or cheaper than just building an insulated building. For the building everything you need is there whereas magic would require a lot of spells and enchanting items which cost a lot in time and rare materials or by 3.5 rules exp. Personally I hate the use of magic for mundane things as it just doesn't make much sense to waste the effort on it when an easier cheaper option exists But that's how I run things.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 am  

I have to disagree with the sentiment that magic would be wholesale avoided for things like food preservation. It seems to me that over time as people in any given area became more accustomed to magic they would begin paying wizards for magical assistance, even minor magics can be amazingly helpful.

That being said, it is correct in that magic would not be necessary for cold treats to become a reality in the game world, it certainly wasn't a necessity in ours. People have been eating flavored snow and ice kept in ice cellars for thousands of years. That is one important factor. The storage facilities would be most likely built underground so it would seem that dwarves and drow would be the most likely creators of ice cream.

Another idea for a candy would be mashmellows. Marshmellows were originally created by the Egyptians by mixing honey with the sap of a flower called, yep you guessed it, the mashmellow. The Marshmellow was made this was until the 17th or 18th century when they began synthesizing the stabilizer out of cornstarch in England instead of using marshmellow sap.

I do love the idea of this campaign. I typically run games that involve all sorts of mundane treasures like medicinal herbs and such, I had never considered candy. I'll have to put in some research on this topic.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:21 pm  

Having Mundane items as treasure is always a nice detail. I'm running a campaign right now and the players are actually keeping items they find to sell when they get back to town. Although in one case it got the Priest of Heronius a little ticked off when they were trying to sell off another dead priest's weapon.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:04 pm  
    From doing research...

I agree. I find that using minor magical appliances is already being done, so I don't think it would be that far fetched to continue the tradition.

I point to bags of holding, Heward's Handy Haversack, the bathtub and stove and component case in the Vale of the Mage. Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:24 pm  
    Campaign Journal

http://www.illustr8or.com/spelloyals/

I've started a first person diary of sorts to help foster the campaign's feel, detailing and rounding out some of the storytelling aspects. It's somewhat of a creative exercise, now that most of the troubling code bugs have been squashed or solved and some of the design issues have been worked out.

As time goes on, I'm hoping the guide will have maps, more character backgrounds, drawings, encounters, etc. and any material created will be available for download.

Thanks for everyone's great help and input and making me feel so welcome here. Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:27 pm  

might I recommend that one stays far, far away from the Popcorn Balls of Vecna? ;)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:03 am  
    Definitely

Laughing I think the secret ingredient in those is rendered human or elf lard and the last thing the good Spelloyal's need is a bust up from some followers of St. Cuthbert. Laughing [/u]
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:23 pm  
    Re: From doing research...

vonbek wrote:

... Personally I hate the use of magic for mundane things as it just doesn't make much sense to waste the effort on it when an easier cheaper option exists But that's how I run things.

-I agree, if the natural solution is cheaper and more efficient and/or more convinient.

In this case, the magic ice cream maker would be easy to move around from place to place, and it is always cold. If those Halflings have to leave Rockburgh, they can immediately start cranking out ice cream at their next place (they can even have it along the way). Besides, an icehouse has maintenance costs. In a place like Rockburgh, the magic solution would be cheaper and easier. But as a general rule, I agree with you- a below ground icehouse would normally make more sense in Furyondy or Nyrond.

manus-nigrum wrote:
    I have to disagree with the sentiment that magic would be wholesale avoided for things like food preservation...

-I'd say that south of 30 degrees north latitude, a magic freezer would be a bigger life saver than a +1 magic sword.

At least, if I'm the DM. Evil Grin Razz

illustr8or wrote:
    I agree. I find that using minor magical appliances is already being done, so I don't think it would be that far fetched to continue the tradition...

-Yup.

vonbek wrote:
    Having Mundane items as treasure is always a nice detail...

-See above...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: