Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - What the heck is this monster?!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    What the heck is this monster?!
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 pm  
    What the heck is this monster?!

Hey there, all! Over on this other CF Thread, we've been discussing the artwork that I do as a professional illustrator and Greyhawk fan, and some of the pieces I have produced in the past year.

Just today, I came up with a great idea for the thread! What on earth do you think that this monster is?

There is a lot of wiggle room for some really interesting and creative responses about what it is ... take a look at some of the others, and post a comment on the Artwork of Icarus thread and let us all know what you think that monsrosity is! And while you're at it - is that a twisted piece of metal? Is it some other kind of weapon it's holding? Could it be a mace? A magical rod? A melting shard of otherworldly ice that dissolves and poisons its targets?

I'm voting that it's a polymorphed Flumph, and it's not half as bad as it looks. Razz (... the critter, not the weapon.)

Feel free to look at all of the artwork on there, or just my recent stuff, and comment on it too.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:33 pm  

My ex-mother-in-law
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:05 pm  

baronzemo wrote:
    My ex-mother-in-law

Nice! Laughing
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:40 am  

Ok we have discussed this on the forums but I'll add my two cents here as well.

The Bender of Souls

"In the deep abyss is where it lays"

"Of four armed claws it needs no blades"

"On cloven hooves its transports"

"Corpses of mortals quite distort"

"Six days of dragging on bleak stone and pits of blood"

"Its lair is daunting of souls undone"

"He pierces the flesh quite gently"

"With the tips of his claws it hooks onto one thing"

"Pulling it tightly with all of its strength"

"Essence of life and of death"

"Before the gods claim it to be one of there own"

"Your soul is now his to contort and control"

"Forever lost your immortal soul"

So I say its the soul from the corpse in his other clawed hand.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:15 pm  

hmm, looks like a double pit-fiend!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:28 pm  

Hmmm...half-fiend four-armed gargoyle, escaped from the Tomb of Horrors? The sword might be the soul of an evil, genocidal mortal warlord, melted in an abyssal forge then cooled in the Styx. It's now an intelligent sword of wounding, bent on mass murder, but completely insane. Since its current wielder (the monster in question) is also a homicidal maniac, the insanity has gone unnoticed.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:04 pm  
    The Beast Within

Wow ... there's some really great answers, here!

Glad to see that y'all are interested and that you're getting creative with ideas! I especially liked:
    Chevalier wrote:
    It's now an intelligent sword ... but completely insane. ... the insanity has gone unnoticed.
    I can't tell you how many times I have seen Intelligent items in games, but, never one that no one noticed! Wonderfully hilarious!

Argon, man, I love your habit of writing prophecy-poetry for my artwork. It's largely cool to me, because I tend to use little minor prophecies as plot hooks in my game a lot. I can't imagine in a world were divination exists that it wouldn't be hugely prevalent. So ... not just cool, but source material too!

Great stuff, all around guys! ... my two cents' worth ... I hadn't decided whether it was Tannar'ri or Ba'atezu. Demon or devil? You know, other than game "story", I'm not certain if I could technically define the difference between the two, physically. One thing: I remember idly wondering who the corpse might be. I thought of it as some poor soul who'd been damned to the Abyss, and was torn asunder over and over. Very Sisyphus, I thought. :) Maybe it's the former mortal coil of an evil genocidal warlord! Evil Grin
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: