Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The "Introduce Yourself" Thread
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    The "Introduce Yourself" Thread [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next]
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:18 am  
    The "Introduce Yourself" Thread

I dont know if a thread like this has been started before, but I would like to know a couple of things about the people that I chat with on the forums.

First Name?
    Age?
    Location?
    When you started playing D&D?
    What rules you started with?
    where does your Forum Nick come from?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:23 am  

Name - Rory

Age - 38

Location - South Africa, Cape Town

Started - 1984

Rules - Basic D&D (Red Box) '84 Christmas Present!

Forum Nick - Now with DarkHerald I decided that I wanted to keep the "Dark" part of my nick as it is something that I have always had in my online nick from my Battlefield and Call of Duty gaming days. I needed something that would be more fitting for a fantasy setting/forum. So then came up with the idea of DarkHerald ... I had just finished reading the Herald Prestige Class and liked it. So I thought why not DarkHerald, deliverer of dark news, whisperer of death.

Last edited by DarkHerald on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:11 am  

Name - Skip

Age - 41

Location - South central Iowa, USA

Started playing D&D in 1982. Parents gave me the D&D Basic Set (red box) and D&D Expert Set (blue box) for Christmas.

Forum nickname - Easy, my first and most powerful PC. I learned an aweful lot of life's lessens playing that character. Cool

SirXaris
    GreySage

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 am  
    Re: A Couple of Questions

DarkHerald wrote:
    I dont know if a thread like this has been started before, but I would like to know a couple of things about the people that I chat with on the forums.

First Name?
    Age?
    Location?

Sure, I'll bite (though this might be better placed in the Welcome to Greyhawk forum).

I'm Rip. I'm 33, I think. I'm in the U.S., in the pleasant peninsula of Michigan. The first D&D game I played (in 1988) was a 1st edition AD&D one, then I played mostly basic D&D (Basic-Expert-Companion-Master-Immortal) for a few years before switching to 2nd edition.

I call myself Rasgon because it's Spanish for "a rip or tear." I used it in one of the Spanish courses I took in high school, then it became my AOL screen name (in high school), and I used it on AOL's Greyhawk message board and on the Greytalk mailing list (since I was subscribing to it from my AOL address)... and from there, I signed up on these forums as Rasgon as well. There's a character named Rasgon in Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff, a thief who lives in "Pest's Corner," which exists because I pestered Sean K. Reynolds on the AOL message boards about naming an NPC after me.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:36 am  

First Name? Sergio.

Age? 43.

Location? 50 kilometers to the west of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

When you started playing D&D? 1989, in the University.

What rules you started with? AD&D 2

Where does your Forum Nick come from? From my location. Rol = role, Oeste = west

Sergio :-)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:01 am  

First Name? Jeff
    Age? 37
    Location? Aberdare, South Wales (UK)
    When you started playing D&D? 1983 (ish)
    What rules you started with? Red Box Basic
    where does your Forum Nick come from? A former PC and now NPC in my GH (and I couldn't get Medriev for some reason which is my preferred forum alias. Medriev was one of my first characters and also now an NPC in my GH)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:39 am  

First Name? David
    Age? 43
    Location? Warrington, Cheshire (UK) though I game mostly in Liverpool
    When you started playing D&D? 1982
    What rules you started with? Basic Set, got my battered Expert Rulebook with the classy Erol Otus cover in front of me ;-)
    where does your Forum Nick come from? Just choose it from my currently running campaign location, though I wish it was some far more interesting……….
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:46 am  

Mark

Pittsburgh in the USA

Started playing in 7th grade which would be 1979 or 1980 with the original Blue basic D&D then after just a few months moved onto Advanced and it has just snowballed from there. I also owned my own game store for awhile so I have played and am familiar with quite a lot of other games.

My screen name is my Alter Ego and SCA persona but if your a fan of the Eternal Champion writings of Moorcock then you'll be able to figure out where I stole it from.

Last edited by vonbek on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:47 am  

Name; Richard

Age; 44

Location; Frinton On Sea, Essex, England

Started; 1978

Game; OD&D, Blue box (I think)

Forum nick; From the off I was the DM and I've seriously missed out on playing over the years. However, Ragr was the first character that I actually ran in a game/campaign run by a guy called Gary who ran a game that was savage to say the least; the kind of game where ownership of a loincloth meant you were wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice Smile . It was a blast, though. Ragr was a Halfling thief of Chaotic Neutral alignment who was an absolute bast*** but really liberating to play; surely you can only ever run one CN character in a lifetime Evil Grin I have very fond memories of Gary yelling "I don't care what happens I'm going to get your character" at me after I deliberately got his favourite npc killed in a successful effort to buy my own survival. You know you're in trouble when the DM says stuff like that. He never did get me; although the campaign ended with the valiant Ragr surrounded by an army of robots Confused

It got weird, that campaign Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 am  

Ragr that's the best story I have heard on these boards yet. Maybe you should write it up sometime for us.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:55 am  

Well, it was a long time ago. Funnily enough I found the old yellow character sheet with Ragr on it a couple of days ago when searching for something else.

Maybe if I hold the character sheet in my hands and concentrate the full story will come back to me; in which case I'm more than happy to fill in the blanks.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:43 pm  

First Name? Wes

Age? 29

Location? Lenexa, KS

When you started playing D&D? 1990

What rules you started with? Second Edition

where does your Forum Nick come from? In 1995 I thought it sounded cool. I tend not to change something once it works. I do go by Secret Skeleton a lot nowadays, though.

I eat, sleep, and breathe RPGs. I play console RPG's pretty much every day. I play table-top games as often as I can. I have been playing RPGs for 2/3 of my life, and my wife thinks that is hot. I have eidetic memory and as a DM (my choice of roles) I am a storyteller more than a referee. I am currently running a Golden Age of Piracy game using Savage Worlds. www.blackscorpionminiatures.com btw, has the best freaking piratical miniatures ever made.

I hate 3rd Edition, & Pathfinder--well, pretty much anything "d20" except Castles & Crusades. I more or less do not consider 4E D&D. I am a purist when it comes to DnD. If Gary Gygax did not write it, I do not play it. I mostly play Basic or Original DnD, though I will foray into AD&D from time to time. Swords & Wizardry is a good retro-clone. I traded a bunch of my miniatures at a con to Jon of Black Blade Publishing for a t-shirt and rulebook for S&W. I also managed to get a character, in AD&D, knocked down to -64 hit points in Jon's con game. He has this stamp that reads "DEAD" that he thumps on your sheet upon your character dying. I got four of them.

Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 pm  

Name: Joe

Started: 1981. Got basic box in 1982, expert box in 1983, Greyhawk box in 1984. I really liked AD&D, skipped 2nd edition, got back into the game when 3E came out. My ideal edition is a mix of AD&D + PF, with a fused wizard-sorcerer class based on A Wizard of Earthsea. Someday I'll make it happen.

The original campaign I played (in 5th/6th grade) was the ultimate munchkin scene. Highly embarrassing now, but it makes for some good stories.

Forum name origin: It's actually my last name, and conveniently also the title of an 8th level paladin.
    CF Admin

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:50 pm  

First Name? Allan
    Age? 41
    Location? Wichita, KS
    When you started playing D&D? 7 years old - I was taught by a kid down the street, and we played using stratomatic football figures that we repainted different colors as monsters and PCs
    What rules you started with? Holmes Basic
    where does your Forum Nick come from? from my last name ("Grohe")---it was given to me by a friend in college at Penn State

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:54 pm  

First Name? Scott

Age? 45. I'm the old man so far. Woohoo!!!

Location? Olympia, Washington

When you started playing D&D? 1979

What rules you started with? AD&D

where does your Forum Nick come from? It was actually an old institutional email address from a couple jobs back "s" for Scott, "millan" from McMillan. I don't know why computer services dropped the Mc. Boring, yeah.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:10 pm  

Nice to get a bit of personal information from you guys. I have chatted over on the Facebook Canonfire page to some of you.

First Name? Darrel

Age? 39

Location? Cape Town, South Africa

When you started playing D&D? 1985 in High School. Greyhawk was the first world we played in back then and I've had a love affair ever since.

What rules you started with? AD&D 1st Edition or OD&D (Red Box) can't be 100% sure after all these years. I'll never forget holding that gold/brown Greyhawk box for the very first time.

where does your Forum Nick come from? I like the word and it was available here on Canonfire when I joined up.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:22 pm  

First Name: Denis

Location: Windsor ("I can see Detroit from my office window"), Ontario, Canada

Started playing in 1980 with the Basic box set, but within a few months switched to AD&D. Went to 2nd Edition when it came out. Stayed with that edition ever since.

While Maldin was not my first PC (only by 6 months, although he was the second PC I created), he quickly became my primary PC. Created way back in 1980, he is still active in my campaign as both a PC and NPC. He's since become an official published NPC in the world of Greyhawk.

Denis, aka the Real "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more! Come visit me!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:30 pm  

Maldin wrote:

Damn you, Maldin. Stealing my thunder.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:06 pm  

Maldin wrote:

While Maldin was not my first PC (only by 6 months, although he was the second PC I created), he quickly became my primary PC. Created way back in 1980, he is still active in my campaign as both a PC and NPC. He's since become an official published NPC in the world of Greyhawk.

If you ask me, it is for these reasons that Greyhawk is so good. I mean, where else?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:13 pm  

Quote:
    He's since become an official published NPC in the world of Greyhawk. - Maldin

In which product was he published?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:45 pm  

chaoticprime wrote:
    Maldin wrote:
    He's since become an official published NPC in the world of Greyhawk.

If you ask me, it is for these reasons that Greyhawk is so good. I mean, where else?

Exactly! Two years ago, I wrote the following post in a thread on Enworld entitled "What is so special about Greyhawk?"

Maldin wrote:
    I think many of things that have already been pointed out throughout this thread help make Greyhawk special. High magic aspects in a low magic (common)world. An initial rough framework of a world that would not be constrictive to DMs, that was then built on and developed through adventures (both the classics, all the way up to the modern Adventure Paths), rather then novels. The whole D&D is Greyhawk, Greyhawk is D&D arguement. Shades of good and evil, law and chaos. The lack of super-NPCs that seem to meddle directly with even the most insignificant adventuring party. And so much more. So I'll agree with many of the previous posters.

There is, however, another huge reason why I think Greyhawk is special that hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

"Its fan-built, w/ lots of contributions *I* have made"

I don't just mean "me, personally", and I don't mean fan websites (like mine) either. Greyhawk, more then any other campaign world, has had significant contributions made by people who were fans first and foremost... In my case it has been things I've done like the City of Greyhawk and Irongate materials that have been published, the influence I've had (and my campaign has had) on other avenues (such as my input into things like the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer), and several other projects, some revealed, and some not.

But many others have had similar experiences as I, some more tangible, others less so. Erik Mona contributed as a fan first, before he was hired full time by WotC (as a result of the quality of work he did as a fan). Gary Holian, Fred Weining, Eric Boyd, Steve Greer, Sam Weiss, Robert Mullin, Joe Bloch, Noel Graham, Scott Casper, Greg Vaughn, Creighton Broadhurst, Paul Looby, Andy Miller, Dave Howery, Scott Bennie, and many others, all were fans who contributed to official published Greyhawk. People just like you and me. Anybody could have the opportunity to contribute. I know I've missed a lot of other Greyhawk fan-authors. If you think of any, post them to this thread.

Then there is the massive force of creativity that was known as the Living Greyhawk Campaign. Hundreds of writers, hundreds of adventures, tens of thousands of pages of development covering virtually every region on the map. Aspects of which have been canonized in published articles and map-locations. NO campaign world put out by ANY company for ANY game system has ever had such an important contribution by the people who actually play the game.

That is how today's Greyhawk has come to be... what, in my opinion, is what today's Greyhawk is all about. It's initial flavor and charm came from its beginnings as someone's (Gygax's) home campaign world, lovingly built. Forgotten Realms began as someone's (Greenwood's) lovingly built home campaign, and then became the corporate Realm. Likewise, Greyhawk evolved, is no longer EGG's home campaign world, and hasn't been for a very long time (well, actually, published GH never really was that).

It's everyone's home campaign world. And you had the opportunity to help it become that.

DarkHerald wrote:
    In which product was he published?

He was first published in the Living Greyhawk Journal Issue#2, and made a return appearance in Dragon Magazine Issue#337. Because of those articles, Maldin and/or his shop has also appeared in a number of Living Greyhawk adventures as well, however I wouldn't count those adventures as "officially published".

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!

Last edited by Maldin on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:57 pm  

First Name? Michele
    Age? 34
    Location? Modena, Italy
    When you started playing D&D? I am not sure, it's been a long time ago. I believe my first experience with choose-your-own-adventure books and Italian rpgs dates back to 1986, while "Mentzer" D&D experience to 1987. I then moved to AD&D in 1988, shortly before 2e came in.
    What rules you started with? See above :)
    where does your Forum Nick come from? That's the first letter of my name and then my surname :)... in other boards I go by "Beek Gwenders of Croodle" which is an iconic ranger from the original Against the Giants, of course.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:04 am  

This has really been a great read, it certainly made my morning!

I have been visiting Canonfire for a good couple of years, but never posted always just watched and read the forums .... all I can say is I should have posted ealier Sad

I really have to say Canonfire is one of the better online communities out there.

Happy

Last edited by DarkHerald on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:02 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Maldin wrote:

Damn you, Maldin. Stealing my thunder.

Scary that he ain't telling the number though. What is he? A Lich?
    Master Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 am  

chaoticprime wrote:
    He has this stamp that reads "DEAD" that he thumps on your sheet upon your character dying. I got four of them.

Now that is cool. I can see a new thread developing; who has the most "dead" stamps on their sheet. Evil Grin

I'm just off down the stationers to order mine.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:20 am  

You already know all this, Rory...but I thought I'd play, too. :)

Q: First Name?
    A: carlos (purposely uncapitalized, like my hero, e.e. cummings).

Q: Age?
    A: 41.

Q: Location?
    A: Northeast Ohio...when I'm not dreaming of Oerth.

Q: When you started playing D&D?
    A: 1979.

Q: What rules you started with?
    A: Basic Set (Red Box). My best friend got it for Christmas, and I think his parents must've thought it was a board game. Obviously, our first session was pretty unsophisticated (whaddya want out of a pair of 9 year olds?), but I was hooked. A year later, I made the transition to the Blue Box (Expert Set), and from there, AD&D.

Q: Where does your Forum Nick come from?
    A: It's the name of a PC I've played in various Campaigns since about 1987. Probably my favorite character I've ever played.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:02 am  

First Name? Tony

Age? 38

Location? Saine Louie, in the (a) state of eternal academic Misery ;)

When you started playing D&D? 1984

What rules you started with? Red Box, switched to AD&D about 6months later. Although my first exposure was during home room in 6th grade. Brian C. was reading the B2 module in the back of the room. I asked, "What's that?" It goes without saying, from there I was hooked.

Some 16 years ago, I returned to St.Louis from my first go around at college and joined my current Greyhawk gaming group. Garnak (1/2 Orc Assassin) was the first character of mine to survive past Lvl5. Outside of one other major character, I've been playing him ever since. When I needed a screen name for AOL and some other gaming sites, it was only natural to use the moniker. It has stuck ever since.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:53 am  

First Name?
    Andreas

Age?

Location?
    Hamburg, Germany

Holmes edition, but only for about a year. We then switched to 1E. Still play nothing else. :)

Where does your Forum Nick come from?
    My last character (MU10, now retired) had that name.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 am  

I incurred all my HP plus -60 something (I think) damage all in one round. It involved getting repeatedly juggled into a blade barrier, and a fireball.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:31 am  

Fred

49 (I think I'm the old geezard down here,)

France

Started playing in 1979 .... :shock with the basic D&D box
    Switched to AD&D 1st as soon as it was available in France.
    Still playing 3.5 et pathfinder around the Vesve forest.

Nickname is self explaining, no ?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:57 am  

First Name? Damon

Age? 39(still hanging onto not reaching the big 40)

Location? Cardiff, South Wales

When you started playing D&D? Too many years ago Shocked 1982 (god has it been that long)

What rules you started with? A friend of mine started me off with the BASIC rules (red cover) awhich we played for several months before getting our hands on the Expert and then on Advanced,

where does your Forum Nick come from? Like many on here Rockhaven was a character of mine from my early days of playing ( I will say not my first but possible the most interesting to play) who later became an intergral part of my gaming world as a major NPC.(finished playing he was a 20th MU and has subsequently since using him as a NPC reached 30th)
    Site Theocrat

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 am  

Hi all -
    Scott Casper worked on something similar several years ago.
    You can find his collection here - http://greyhawkonline.com/whoiswho/
    Of course if there is anybody that wants to re-organize and update it that's cool with me.
    I suppose I'll actually post personal info later, as I'm off to go run some kick **** Pathfinder games and then party like a Kickball Star.

Be Well. Be Well Gamed.
    Theocrat Issak

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:03 pm  

First Name: Jon

Started playing when the neighbor got the red box basic set in about 82 or so, then started AD&D in 84/85 while in High School.

Started with Basic, moved to 1st ed not too long after. Now play a mix of 1st and 2nd ed.

My Nick is from my longest surviving character, created in 1987 and still sees occasional use (albeit mostly as an NPC anymore).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:35 pm  

First Name? Blake

Age? 36

Location? Adelaide, Australia

When you started playing D&D? 1989

What rules you started with? 2nd Edition with 1st Edition Unearthed Arcana Barbarian & Cavalier used. We were running through the Temple of Elemental Evil. The GM sometimes neglected to describe creatures, so I thought a bugbear was a large furry wasp.

Now playing in Norrath (Everquest) with Pathfinder and running Pathfinder on Greyhawk.

where does your Forum Nick come from? My name.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:16 pm  

First Name? Shane
    Age? 37
    Location? San Diego, CA
    When you started playing D&D? 1984-ish?
    What rules you started with? AD&D
    where does your Forum Nick come from? I draw and paint. I know... kind of obvious. rolleyes Smile
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm  

First Name? Kristoph. Well, technically, my first name is "W-something" ... but, Kristoph is my middle name, and the one I prefer.
    Age? I am in my 38th year.
    Location? Houston, Tx. Born in San Antonio near the Alamo; a born and bred Texan, though I have travelled the US and four continents.
    When you started playing D&D? Approximately 1984-ish.
    What rules you started with? The 1979 "Blue Book" from the Basic Boxed set.
    where does your Forum Nick come from? It's a name that I've used for about 15 years when signing up for AOL 2.5, I believe. I often have to use "IcarusATB", since "Icarus" is often taken. It comes from a piece of my artwork (the first one ever matted and hung on my wall) called "The Fall of Icarus: A Trust Betrayed". It showed Daedalus (his father) flying off into the distance.

And, now that you guys know altogether too much about me, and were afraid to ask, I'll quit giving up the ol' secrets.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:40 pm  
    "Dead" and "Deaceased" stamps

chaoticprime wrote:
    He has this stamp that reads "DEAD" that he thumps on your sheet upon your character dying. I got four of them.

Ragr wrote:

Now that is cool. I can see a new thread developing; who has the most "dead" stamps on their sheet. Evil Grin

I'm just off down the stationers to order mine.

A long time ago, in a home game far, far away, I used to have one that read "DECEASED", and I would stamp it in red ink on the players' sheets. It was about 5 or 6 inches across. Happy
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:05 am  

First Name: Matt

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan(somewhat pleasant peninsula), USA

When I Started Playing D&D: 1991, I had some great friends in middle school that started a game in our library every lunch period, we got some strange looks, but loved every minute of it. A far better use of an hour than cafeteria food!

What Rules I Started With: AD&D 2nd edition, I still have that original Player's Handbook, although it has seen far better days.

Where Does My Forum Nickname Come From: Ironically enough, the Bible, with the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego walking in the fire in Babylon and surviving, for some reason as a kid I though that was super neat and used that as a nick ever since.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:37 am  

Name? Dave
    Age?41 (seems a popular age here)
    Location? Sacramento Ca. Moved here from Grand Rapids mich. 2 years ago
    I started playing @ a friends basement in 79. I had no idea what D&D was and got hooked.
    I believe only the red box edition was availible in G.R. @ the time.
    My forum nick came from that original character I wrote up in that basement game. He was a thief. Retired him a few years later as our campaign matured. Like any good thief he still makes surprise appearances only to fade back into the shadows...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:24 am  

First Name?
    Casey

Age?

Location?
    Boston, MA

1983ish (4th grade)

Basic D&D, all the way up until a mod takes immortals to Chicago. When I was in 5th or 6th grade, a teacher sold me his son's collection of 1st edition books for cheap. I then began buying mods. I remember buying lots of mods during TSR's 10th? anniversary sales at Toys R' Us. Unfortunately, most of my mods were destroyed years ago during a move due to an unfortunately placed bar of soap which melted :(
    When 2nd edition came out, I was in 7-9th grade in the UK. I had quit playing before 3rd edition came out, but in 2002 I was working at a Walden Books and I started looking over the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. From there, I discovered the local LGers. By 2003, I was a lowly meta-org coordinator. By 2004, I was a Triad assistant. In 2005, I became a Triad member, which I remained until LG's demise in 2008. As a result of my LG experiences, I like 3.5 low-mid level games the best.

It's derived from my IRC EFnet nick, which was GoldDrake (if any of you are EFnet veterans, I was the guy who wrote the 500 splatter kicks file that sometimes gets distributed with WC Toolz. I was really bored that semester). GoldDrake didn't have quite the ring I was looking for, so I eventually pig-latined it to aurdraco.

I am also SC-Tiny on this forum, an ID I use for playing in Gary Holian's online Spinecastle campaign. However, sometimes I forget to log out and log back in as aurdraco.
    GreySage

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:40 am  

Okay, I'll go along. Wink

Name: Anthony (Tony)

Age: Maldin and I have you all so far. (Sorry Smillian Evil Grin ) We're the same age and it begins with a "5." Since Maldin doesn't want it revealed, I won't. Wink It's the reason PSmedger says we're "older than dirt," and claims that Maldin and I played with Richard the Lion Hearted. Laughing

Loction: Presently, Anahuac, TX, USA, Approximately 45 miles east of Houston on Interstate Highway 10, exit 812.

Began playing: Learned of it in 1977, started playing in 1978, while in the US Army (82nd Airborne Division).

Rules: Not absolutely certain, but OD&D was definitely "there."

Forum Nickname: Thought of it when I joined Canonfire -- the only forum I've ever been "on" -- because I did not wish to reveal my character's actual name.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm  

Name: David

When did I start playing:1980

What rules started with: G1-3:Against The Giants. My best friend had used his Christmas money to buy the module. We went through it and kind of, sort of figured out how to play. From there we just made up rules and played using 6 sided dice raided from Monopoly and Yahtzee for a couple of years until we could buy the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and Monster Manuel. So technically 1st ed.

Forum Nickname: From a character I ran in the mid '80s. Grey Elven Fighter/Magic-User.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:15 pm  

First Name?
    Rafael

Age?
    30 in may

Location?
    Brazil

1992, i think,

90's black box, then i changed to 2ed ad&d (those were the only oficial D&D game published here, back then). i tried 3ed, but changed quickly to 2ed again. now i play a hybrid of rules from 1 and 2 ed of ad&d

rossik was a cleric of mine, a npc in the long campaign i DMed for my wife. he was a clerci of frozen lands, the one suppose to take charge of the clan, but he run away from that.
    its a little sad story, but he will be fine ;)
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:50 pm  
    My turn...

Raymond
    Salinas, California
    I remember it was before I moved and it was the Basic box with Erol Otus cover (1981) so at least as far back as 1983.
    Red box from 1981 I bought later. It seems like the Menzter box from 1983 came out later than that since I had the Expert set with the Erol Otus cover and was waiting "forever" for the Companion set to come out. I was hoping for a box which covered levels 15-36 with another Erol Otus cover. I was the only one to keep with the boxed line of rules. All my friends had the Advanced books. So I would DM "Basic" (even if it higher than level 3) and they would DM Advanced.
    No nick, that's my name.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:11 pm  

First Name? Chris, but more folks call me Pip
    Age? 31
    Location? Pittsburgh, PA
    When you started playing D&D? 1985 or so
    What rules you started with? A mix of everything shoved together -- a little bit of the LBBs, the Holmes Blue Book, Dragon magazines, and the 1E DMG... whatever was in the bag.
    Where does your Forum Nick come from? Handle I've used for nearly fifteen years online. Simple abbreviation of first initial and part of my last name.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:46 pm  

I claim the "youngest CF poster" title! I just turned 29! I have never got along with people my own age. I rule!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:56 pm  

Hey Cpip nice to see another Local on here
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:58 am  

chaoticprime wrote:
    I claim the "youngest CF poster" title! I just turned 29! I have never got along with people my own age. I rule!

and i will turn 30 may 15
    :D
    GreySage

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:54 am  

chaoticprime wrote:
    I rule!

What can I say: Boys will be boys. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Love ya' Wes! Happy

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 pm  

OK my turn to answer.

First name: Anna

Location: Corona, California, moved recently from Sweden where I grew up.

Started playing 1979. A friend of a friend had been to the U.S and brought a copy of the original basic set (the red box) back with him to Sweden, maybe even the oldest in the country. We only had one set of dice to play with at first but it was fantastic anyway.

I will never forget the first time I played. Had a human fighter and died the second evening we played, but I was hooked for life!

I bought the Greyhawk box when it came out and started to DM using the setting, started making my own maps. I'm still working on my maps decades later :)

My forum nick was simply me having lack of fantasy I guess ;)
    //Anna
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:46 pm  

Anna, nobody who has seen your maps could ever accuse you of having a lack of fantasy. Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:56 am  

Name: Dean or Dino

Loc : Rochester ,New York moved around the states a lot now back in Canadaigua ,NY

Started ? Not sure the day. Me and my BF at the time were bored one day and went to his Aunt and Uncles house,he was in a little room panting little men. I asked whats up, he showed me the D&D figures he was painting i was awww struck. ( i was 11 or 12 ) I said i had heard of it and all ways wanted to play,he laughed and took us to his DEN. He had a topic graphical map he had made of his D&D world (cities,castles and countries ) in great detail .
    I was pretty poor growing up so i saved for some time buying the AD&D sets ,i read them over and over (it was really sad) It was also hard to find other full time players at 1st.
    D&D lost out to females and sports after a time,more so the females.

NICKs: Prymus- a god of the dead (forget where i read it) it just felt right Tarrasque- that monster was just badass Happy
    Arumm- just need a another nick once in a while EQ,ect...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:31 am  

DarkHerald - Rory 38
    SirXaris - Skip 41
    Rasgon - Rip 33
    Rol-Oeste - Sergio 43
    Flint - Jeff 37
    WildCoaster - David 43
    Vonbek - Mark 44
    Ragr - Richard 44
    ChaoticPrime - Wes 29
    Chevalier - Joe 38
    Grodog - Allan 41
    Smillan_31 - Scott 45
    Warlock - Darrel 39
    Maldin - Denis 51
    MToscan - Michele 34
    The_Colorless_Mage - Carlos 41
    Garnak - Tony 38
    Thorvald - Andreas 48
    Dungeonmeister Fred 49
    Rockhaven - Damon 39
    Artalian - Jon 42
    Blakeryan - Blake 36
    Illustr8or - Shane 37
    Icarus - Krisoph 38
    Shadrach - Matt 31
    Hieden - Dave 41
    Aurdraco - Casey 37
    Mystic-Scholar - Tony 51
    Cyrusalthantas - David 40
    Rossik - Rafael 30
    Raymond - Raymond 40
    Cpip - Chris 31
    Anna - Anna 45
    Prymus - Dean 42
    Katerek - Jay 36
    TT - John 49
    Jacko - David 41

Last edited by DarkHerald on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:59 am; edited 5 times in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:26 am  

Just for the record I am 44
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:31 am  

Quote:
    Just for the record I am 44

Thanks Mark, list updated.

Wink
    GreySage

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:50 am  

DarkHerald wrote:
    Maldin - Denis 5?
    Mystic-Scholar - Tony 5?

Funny, but out of respect, you might want to change this to "50?" or "50ish". Wink

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:22 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    DarkHerald wrote:
    Maldin - Denis 5?
    Mystic-Scholar - Tony 5?

Funny, but out of respect, you might want to change this to "50?" or "50ish". Wink

SirXaris

Happy ..... Wink
    GreySage

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:05 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    you might want to change this to "50?" or "50ish".

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Okay, Skip! Denis and I spoke and are willing to admit it, we're "only" 51-ish years "young." (And really looking forward to Medicare and Social Security!) That help you any?

(Skip - {only} 41) Kids! What can I say? Evil Grin

Love ya', Skip! And I'm just having fun with you. Wink

(Glad you like my story, by the way.)

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:09 am  

Do I need to chnange the TXT to big PRINT for you guys? Laughing

Changes made.

Thanks
    GreySage

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:11 am  

Not yet . . . our glasses aren't much more than a half inch thick. Wink

The doctor says he can still make them a little thicker. Evil Grin

Right Denis? Laughing

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:27 am  

So............10 years to go and it's "Subtract 2 points of Strength, 2 points of Dexterity and 1 point of Constitution". Still, you gain a point of Wisdom. Bargain. Happy
    GreySage

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:47 am  

Damn Ragr! You're gooooood! Laughing Laughing Laughing

But . . . don't you think we need 1 point of Wisdom and the experience points to get us half way to the next wisdom point? Evil Grin

Anna said:
    Quote:
    moved recently from Sweden where I grew up

See! She's a blonde haired, blue eyed bombshell! Va-va-voom! Evil Grin

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:28 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

See! She's a blonde haired, blue eyed bombshell! Va-va-voom! Evil Grin

Unfortunately I'm not blonde, but I'm blue eyed Wink

//Anna
    GreySage

Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:07 pm  

Anna wrote:
    Unfortunately I'm not blonde . . .

Okay, but you didn't deny being a "bombshell." Evil Grin

*Don't worry, our mutual friend isn't talking* Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:58 pm  

LOL! Well, not 51ish yet. But getting close. Lets call it 50-ish. hehehe
    (For both Mystic and myself)
    Do Mystic and I win a prize? Hmmm, wonder if we get to roll for minions!
    ...errr... I mean henchmen. ;)
    Bwaahahahahaaaahahaaa!!!!

Denis, aka "Maldin the Elder"
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:22 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Okay, but you didn't deny being a "bombshell."

I've known Anna longer than anyone here, and do remember her blonde years as an "advertising mascot". Happy

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:10 pm  

Damn, I thought it was all forgotten! Wink

//Anna
    GreySage

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:45 pm  

I think I've figured out which one is Anna . . . and I was right! Surprised

VA-VA-VOOM! Evil Grin

Anna! You GO girl! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks Maldin! Wink

Been "Google-ing:" When Anna was on the "Swedish Swim Team" ( Wink ) she appeared in the American, Australian and Hungarian issues of . . . Playboy! Woo-hoo!

(Insert whistling and cat-calls here!) Evil Grin Laughing Laughing Laughing

Move over Aphrodite! Happy

*Yes, I know, at our age Maldin and I should be ashamed . . .

. . . get over it! Laughing

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:55 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

*Yes, I know, at our age Maldin and I should be ashamed . . .

. . . get over it! Laughing

And mindful of the fact of reduced CON. Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:10 am  

Bump!

Come guys gives your names. Any Chance we can get the list stickied?

I promise we wont have any control of you if we know your TRUE name! Razz
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 pm  

First Name?
    Kirt

Age?

Location?
    Mt. Pleasant, Utah

5th grade...1981 or 1982(?)

Red Book Basic for all of junior high. Switched to AD&D for my high school friends but went Expert-Companion with my uncle.

Where does your Forum Nick come from?
    My name.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.&nbsp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm  

First Name: Dave

When you started playing D&D: When I was 13, 1981 I believe. I lived in a pretty rough neighborhood but this game kept me and my friends occupied instead of going down the wrong paths other people our age were taking.

What rules you started with: Basic D&D.. the Red Bookm but we quickly advanced to AD&D 1

where does your Forum Nick come from:
    When I was a kid, I hung out with a group of friends, and we called ourselves 'Dymond Dave and his disciples of Lust'. The Dymond part kinda stuck.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:52 pm  

dymond wrote:

When I was a kid, I hung out with a group of friends, and we called ourselves 'Dymond Dave and his disciples of Lust'. The Dymond part kinda stuck.

Yes, I recall seeing you at the Rainbow Bar And Grill in '82, supporting The Crue. Laughing
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:07 pm  

DarkHerald wrote:

First Name?
    Age?
    Location?

I never noticed that we had so many people from the UK or the RSA here.

Anyway:

1) James;

2) 44;

3) Clarksville, TN;

4) March 1981;

5) Blue Book (just the book, no box...), then went back to Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, and Swords and Spells;

6) A lack of originality... Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:13 pm  

First Name?
    Jay

Age?

Location?
    Little Rock, AR - or as the wife and I call it The Cesspool

'88 or '89 my sister started dating this punk that I now call bro-in-law. His best friend was a heck of a DM, excellent at spinning a story but completely ignoring rules. We gamed every weekend for about 6 months until he was arrested and sent to the big house. I took over as the primary DM from there and have never looked back.

AD&D, which sadly had its name posthumously changed to 1e.

I was a poor puppy in college. I was down to one disposable contact lens, and not being able to afford a new box of 'em, I went for a week or two only having sight in one eye. The fellas called me One Eye Jay. I started using it as my go-to name for video game avatars and such. Over the years, One Eye gained personification as a crusty old bastard separate from my own identity, hence Old One Eye or Ole One Eye. I use it on all message boards I join, so if you see Old One Eye elsewhere - it is me.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm  

DarkHerald wrote:

First Name: Kynewulf (yes, really), but my friends just call me Kyn.

When I started playing D&D: c. 1987

What rules I started with: While I got the Basic Set (with Keep on the Borderlands) as a Christmas present from my Mum (she thought it looked neat) in 1981 or 1982, I didn't start playing until 7th grade when I was indoctrinated in Mentzer-era basic D&D rules (and its lovely Elmore line art) by some classmates.

[More info than originally asked for:] Less than a year later my friends and I were playing AD&D (the local library had a few of the AD&D books stocked) and then 2nd edition caught us all without warning. I was always of a divided opinion about 2e; while it brought some good changes and fixes, it also took away things (some of which just to bow before the puritanical idiots that made ludicrous and unfounded claims), made some unnecessary rule changes, and trashed settings with unnecessary cataclysmic upheavals to explain away changes in the rules, etc. (hence, my group chose to play "1.5 edition"). Eventually, I became very dissatisfied and annoyed with 2e AD&D's kludgier aspects as I became more and more familiar with other game systems and went into D&D hiatus in about 1994 or 1995. I came back to the fold when I started seeing rumors online of a 3rd edition and watched raptly as Eric Noah's website became the de facto place for getting 3e rumors. I became an "early adopter" and continued into 3.5. (which is what I continue to use to this day).

Where does my Forum Nick come from: Azzy1974 is "Azzy" (the nick I used on the original EN site and have continue to use just about everywhere since) plus the year of my birth. Azzy derives from "Azazel", and while Azazel may have been some pre-Hebrew deity or a demon (as it's usually portrayed), my inspiration comes from the traditional mistranslation of "Azazel" as "scapegoat". Rather than having the name misconstrued, I "cutesified" Azazel into Azzy. Smile [/url]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:30 pm  

Only cause Mystic told me to. ;P

First Name? Chris
    Age? 22
    Location? Currently Boise, soon to be elsewhere
    When you started playing D&D? Freshman year of HS... 2002ish
    What rules you started with? 3.5
    where does your Forum Nick come from? Good Question...
    LtGreeneyes; used it since WC3 originally came out.
    Llurendt; a newer name used for RP-style stuff rather than Strategy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:35 pm  

Name - Mandie
    Age - 25
    Location - Dallas, Texas
    Started - High School
    Rules - 3.5
    Forum Nick - I get asked this a lot because of the nature of my name. Unfortunately I've never been able to pen the tale from which I drew the name to my satisfaction, so I'll give a 'short' explanation here.

I had a dream when I was fourteen. In the dream I was eighteen (this embarasses me because it's sappy and silly and girly, all things I usually try not to be overly much) and had 'never' found love (nevermind that eighteen is young, at the time I was fourteen).

I died and went to Heaven where God gave me a choice to stay in Heaven or save other people as an angel on Earth. I chose the latter. As an angel who could not be seen by living people I went around helping them. I fell in love with one person in particular who was particularly good spirited and helpful. I was sad because he didn't even know I existed.

One night while I was watching over said person I walked out on their balcony and cried to God about my troubles. A few of my tears turned to crystal on the balcony, but the wind blew most of them away before morning. When the man woke up he found a single tear still present and he took it and put it on a leather cord which he wore as a necklace from that day forward.

He knew me through that tear, and we eventually lived (okay, maybe not lived since we were both in the afterlife) happily ever after.

There, it's gushy and silly, and the tale is told.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:36 pm  

First Name: Billy

When you started playing D&D: 1998* (Sort of), 2001

What rules you started with: AD&D* (Sort of), Mostly 3.0

Where does your Forum Nick come from: It came from a World of Warcraft character. Crystaltears my better half suggested a name to me. I changed some letters around, and presto you get my current screen name.

*Now I just want to amend that the reason I say sort of is I played in a single AD&D game with a father years ago (1998 in fact), and I hated it. A few years later 3.0 came out, and my best friend got me to play in it. The rest is so we say history.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:46 pm  

First name: John

When did you start playing: 1981

What I started playing: AD&D

Nickname: Tigger and Tom were two of my first cats, had them 17+ years each

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:49 pm  

First Name? Daniel
    Age? 45
    Location? Summerfield, NC (pop. 7,000), within driving distance of Wilson's Grocery. The proprietor, Shorty, is considered by many to be the "internet of Summerfield".
    When you started playing D&D? 1979... the same year I got my first computer ( Apple ][+ ).
    What rules you started with? Basic D&D (chits rule!). I "borrowed" the unopened box set from my oldest brother's closet. He was always going from hobby to hobby to hobby, so it was not missed (little brothers ALWAYS pilfer).
    where does your Forum Nick come from? When I was a freshman in college, I did a paper on the Greek wind god Aeolus. I combined it with aeolian, to make my first AOL screen name, when I signed into the service in 1985 (it was still AppleLink:PE, then).
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:00 pm  

All right...

Cody

thirty-one

Minneapolis

Started playing 2E in 1990. Got into GH in 1993. Started tracking down 1E books and modules in the mid-nineties. Currently catching up with the 3E GH lore I ignored.

Nickname: When I was fifteen I realized my internet handle "vesparian" (from the CoG box) was really dorky. I switched to "vestcoat" because it sounded meaningless and funny, but kind of similar.
    GreySage

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:04 pm  

DarkHerald, you are onto something here! And here I thought that I had some "fun" posts. OK, I'll join in:

First Name: Jason (like the Greek hero...don't think that I didn't, clumsily, use that as a pick-up line...ask my wife) Happy

When started: If you read my Intro, you know this. I was about 8 yrs old, living in Cincinnati, when an older kid named Paul introduced me to the game. I've been hooked ever since.

What rules did I start with: boxed set, whatever that was, then 1st edition. I am now an avid 2nd edition dude who also likes the Options stuff too.

Forum name: Lanthorn is the nickname of my bladesinger, Lanathian Celdor, although his 'real name' (read the Complete Guide to Elves) is a secret until you prove that you are a real friend! Maybe some day I will share that with one of you...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:22 pm  

Holy Crap; another 2nd Edition fan...I thought I was the only one! :) Yay for Lanthorn!

Okay; name: Max Vale

Forum Nick: See above + year of birth

I began playing D&D in '86 when my cousins introduced me and my older sister to the AD&D 1st Edition; I immediately loved it and soon went to KB Toys with money I made from cutting grass to buy the Mentzer Red-Box set with the Elmore picture....I have only recently learned that when most people say "Red Box"; they are NOT referring to this set but to the earlier Moldvay set!

My cousin ran a truly EPIC T1-4 campaign for his brother (my other cousin); my sister and I; and this really hooked me into the Greyhawk stuff. At about this time (late 80s, early 90s); the various Greyhawk boxed sets and numerous sourcebooks were coming out; and I absolutely fell in love with Sargent's stuff. I was aware of the earlier Gygax set; but didn't own it until much later; and so while I certainly understand why many were upset at the "upheavals" in the setting; it never bothered me that much. It was only WAY later that I learned of the initial Gygax/Kuntz version of GH that they played before pretty much ANY version of D&D was out; and how much the world had changed in its various iterations.

When 3rd came out; I flat out hated it....I hated the art; hated the prestige class; and REALLY hated the "feats"....to me; it was nothing more than trying to put a computer game down on paper; though I certainly understand WHY the game companies did this.

4th doesn't bother me nearly as much as I see it as a return to the game's roots; i.e. miniature war-gaming; but it doesn't appeal to me.

For me; I like 2nd...and I'm starting to get into BECMI rules a bit more.....I don't mind 1st either.

Anyway; that's pretty much my story...and for Anna from several posts back...please, please, please, PLEASE, never be-moan the fact that you're not a blonde! As perhaps the only man on the planet who really doesn't care for blondes and LOVES brunettes and dark-haired women.....if I was made out of money, I would give a 100 smackers to every chick I saw walking around who didn't dye/lighten/bleach/streak/etc. her natural dark hair!

(Okay...I'll get off my lonely-**** pulpit now! :) )

Keep gamin'!

-Max
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:43 pm  

Ok I'll bite!

First Name: Dennis

Location: Jersey City, NJ The state in which the Statue of Liberty actually resides. The city with a park called Liberty State Park I wonder why?

When did you start playing D&D? Yesterday... Just kidding actually 1986 with some guys I met in High School and the carnival.

What rule system did you start with? AD&D 1st edition had some D&D stuff but started with AD&D, never looked back. Then 2E until maybe 2008 then 3.5 E with 2E influences.

Where does your forum nick come from? None of your damn business! I kid I kid.. Argon was the first character I created he was a Trollborn Barbarian from the Thillonrian Peninsula. He made it to tenth level in about ten years since after the third session of playing I took over the DMing duties and rarely got to play him. Though my first DM Eddie was pretty good and Argon was gifted his moniker weapon the Silver Moon Battleaxe by a race of cloud giants. Yes I made it to a cloud city me fifth level surrounded by 10th -12th level characters still holding my own.
    GreySage

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:12 pm  

Maxvale, you and I...we will hold the lines for 2nd edition and garner more troops to bolster our ranks!!! Happy
    Argon, don't fret about the 'low lvl character.' In ALL the years I have played, the HIGHEST lvl my characters have achieved fall short of your own PC. Dirk, my ranger, is but 7th lvl, Lanthorn (bladesinger) is 6/7 (fighter/mage), and my bard (retired) is 7th. I have others who are catching up, though...
    Levels don't make the character (I keep saying this to myself in a fetal position, rocking back and forth). Embarassed

This thread has been HIGHLY successful! Props to our author. The bar has been sight very high for my next 'fun' post...

-Lanthorn the Impressed
    GreySage

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:16 pm  

Actually, old timers Maldin and Mystic are 2e fans. ;)

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:23 pm  

Perhaps we will bolster their ranks!

Embarassed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:55 am  

WHOO-HOO! 4 fans of 2nd Edition.....that's AWESOME! We can now form the 'nerd clique' of the GH community on Canonfire! (Thankfully, I've allready found a sucker-of-a-wonderful-woman and married her; otherwise, after statements like that; I'd NEVER find another woman to put up with me! :) )
    GreySage

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 am  

Maldin, two cuckoos have escaped from their clocks and want to join our club, what do you think?

Hahahahaha!

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:08 am  

Max,

Sounds like you and I are cut of the same cloth. In other circles, I proudly proclaim my status as a nerd. Like yourself, too, I found a very accepting woman to marry me (though I keep telling her she's a closet gamer at heart) and put up with my antics.

Cool

-Lanthorn

(check your PM...that goes for a few of you, actually!)
    GreySage

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:22 am  

Like I said . . . weird.

Except for the 'marrying a good woman' part.

Hahahahahaha

Glad to have you guys with us.

(Wait a minute! Lanthorn didn't send ME a pm!) :P

Hehehehe

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:39 am  

(Check now, M-S. Happy )

Weird, indeed! Plan to keep it that way! There's nothing more tragic to me than being "normal," whatever that is.
    Tis a pleasure to be 'aboard!' Again, thanks for all the warm welcomes and the like.

-Lanthorn the Weird
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:12 am  

First Name: Brian
    When you started playing D&D: 1978
    What rules you started with: OD&D just a bit, then Basic & Expert D&D
    Where does your Forum Nick come from: Cebrion- the name of my favorite Monty Haul character, a Gray Elf F 21/M 28/T 23. Shocked Laughing The name is pronounced SEE'-bree-un.

I first got into collecting medieval miniatures(knights to be exact) in 1978, and that quickly bled over into fantasy miniatures of all types(I probably have near to 15,000 minis at this point, and that is after getting rid of at least 6,000 of them over the years Shocked). That led to the pamphlet books(Chainmail, Swords & Spells, Eldritch Wizardry, Greyhawk, Blackmoor, etc.), and then to OD&D which a friend had, and then to Basic and Expert D&D boxed sets which my brother and I received for Christmas. That quickly led to AD&D 1E and 83' World of Greyhawk boxed set(snuck some Chaosium Call of Cthulhu in there too for good measure), which then led to AD&D 2E. My most active period of playing encompassed the 1E and 2E eras of the game.

Many other games were played from 1992 to 2000, including Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, and Warhammer Ancients(being true to my miniature collecting roots); CHAMPIONS, Fantasy HERO, Ars Magika 5E, a few other RPGs, many more sets of miniature wargaming rules(DBA, DBM, Sword and the Flame, Retinue, and many others I can't recall), and a host of fun games(O.G.R.E., Kill Doctor Lucky, WizWar, Munchkin, Ninja Burger, Zombies!, Politics as Usual card game, Illuminati card game, M:tG card game, V:tM card game, and many others besides).

In 2000 I started up D&D 3E(and picked up the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer of course), which turned into D&D 3.5, and I pretty much stuck with that until 2007. I was rather pleased with the effect that the OGL had on the gaming industry as a whole, and was mostly pleased with the offerings of Necromancer Games, Sword & Sorcery((White Wolf's offerings), and Goodman Games. Paizo's stuff didn't suck too bad either. Laughing And so I am mucking about with Pathfinder now. While 4E is a fine RPG system, its lack of compatibility with the metric crap ton of 1E through 3.5E/PF products that I have has turned me from that path. Yeah, WotC probably would have had even more of my money if they hadn't changed things so drastically(suckers!). Laughing I do own the D&D 4E core rulebooks though, as I have a habit of studying rule sets and like to stay up on things at least a bit.

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun May 27, 2012 10:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:34 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:04 pm  

BW,

Confucius says nice philosophy, Witch is good! Laughing

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:57 pm  

First Name: Andrew

Start: 1981. My brother got the Basic D&D box set for Christmas. He didn't think much of it and then gave it to me. Best hand-me-down I every got. Have moved through AD&D, AD&D 2nd and to D&D 3 and 3.5. Stopping at 3.5 and will loot Pathfinder at my whim.

Forum Nick: A spell in Treasures of Greyhawk, Andrui's Baneful Backfire, has played a significant role in the Greyhawk campaign I have been running with friends from college since 1988. [/i]
    Novice

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:19 pm  

First Name: Austin
    When you started playing D&D: Age 14, about 2004
    What rules you started with: I started with 3.0
    where does your Forum Nick come from: Was a legendary character "Talrumek" in a short story I was writing when I was a teen. Forgot the story, but kept most of the name. Rumek is just short for Talrumek.

Now, I'm a young guy. I call myself a "Neo-Grognard" because I started with later editions, but found I prefer older editions and had an overall more 'oldschool' taste.

My favorite edition is 2e with select supplements (depending on the type of game), but 1e and 0D&D are close seconds. (I own every major edition of D&D released, so I've seen the gamut)

Anyway, I hope to continue on my never ending quest of preaching the truth of the old ways to the newer generation.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:35 am  

Rumek wrote:

Now, I'm a young guy. I call myself a "Neo-Grognard" because I started with later editions, but found I prefer older editions and had an overall more 'oldschool' taste...

-From what I can tell, you're the youngest poster here.

By an age margin over 2:1, in some cases. Laughing

Rumek wrote:
    ...Anyway, I hope to continue on my never ending quest of preaching the truth of the old ways to the newer generation.

-Huzzah!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:35 am  

Rumek wrote:

Now, I'm a young guy. I call myself a "Neo-Grognard" because I started with later editions, but found I prefer older editions and had an overall more 'oldschool' taste...

-From what I can tell, you're the youngest poster here.

By an age margin over 2:1, in some cases. Laughing

Rumek wrote:
    ...Anyway, I hope to continue on my never ending quest of preaching the truth of the old ways to the newer generation.

-Huzzah!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next]
    Page 1 of 5

Jump to: