ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Some Map Help from the Experts
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Some Map Help from the Experts
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:53 am  
    Some Map Help from the Experts

Hello Everyone..
    I have recently began to build a campaign in Greyhawk. I've had the Boxed Set since 1984 but never got around to really using it until now. I've decided to set up my campaign in the pre Greyhawk Wars years in the Shield Lands area. I needed something more detailed for that area than the Original Darlene maps so you can imagine my excitement when I found this link on your site. Bandit Kingdoms/Shield Lands Regional Map. Unfortunately the link to the large map no longer works. It got me wondering though that whoever made this map had to get his information for the smaller towns and roads somewhere. It was then that I accidently came across this link. http://redbox.wikidot.com/stepping-through-hex-scales. In the article he is comparing the 30 mile hex map of GH to a 20 mile map of GH and the area he referencing is the Shield Lands! He says the 20 mile map is a 'later TSR Map'. I have searched high and low to where he would have found this map. Its not in any books or modules I can find. I even emailed the author of the article in hopes he could tell me but have yet to hear back. I am hoping beyond hope that somebody here knows where I can find the map he used in that article.

Help me fellow Greyhawk fans, your my only hope Surprised [/url]

PS. I love the maps that Anne created but unfortunately for me they are post GH Wars.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:39 am  

Eric Anondson created that map. He was a Shield Lands Triad member during the Living Greyhawk campaign. Some of the towns may have been created by him or his cohorts during the campaign, the rest are probably canon from Iuz the Evil or The Marklands (I forget if the Marklands talks about the Shield Lands). Some may also be mentioned in the LGG.

The map that other article is referring too is probably the one from Iuz the Evil. It's a devil to find online.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:30 am  

I would take Eric's map if I could find the bigger copy of it. I found copies of the Markland and Iuz the Evil but neither of them come with maps.

I actually found this on Canonfire when I did a google for Shield Lands Triad. The cartography is a bit cheesy but its a start. Its basically 15 mile Hex maps for most of the Flanaess. I guess its a good start! but if anybody knows where that map is I would love to know.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=11
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:31 pm  
    Re: Some Map Help from the Experts

dymond wrote:
    It was then that I accidently came across this link. http://redbox.wikidot.com/stepping-through-hex-scales. In the article he is comparing the 30 mile hex map of GH to a 20 mile map of GH and the area he referencing is the Shield Lands! He says the 20 mile map is a 'later TSR Map'.

It is a section of the map that was included in Iuz the Evil.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:59 pm  
    Re: Some Map Help from the Experts

dymond wrote:
    In the article he is comparing the 30 mile hex map of GH to a 20 mile map of GH and the area he referencing is the Shield Lands! He says the 20 mile map is a 'later TSR Map'. I have searched high and low to where he would have found this map. Its not in any books or modules I can find. I even emailed the author of the article in hopes he could tell me but have yet to hear back. I am hoping beyond hope that somebody here knows where I can find the map he used in that article.

The maps you are looking for are from The Marklands and/or Iuz the Evil, both of which use 20 mile hexes.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 am  

Try downloading the pdfs of Anna's maps. Personally I love to have as much info as possible but the pdf versions used to have layers that you could turn off. Alternatively download a jpg and just use a photo-editiong suite to clone over the names of any locations that shouldn't have been there pre-wars.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:02 am  

Well I confirmed that is indeed in 'Iuz the Evil'. Man these out of print Greyhawk tomes aren't cheap are they? I think I have enough info with those maps I found yesterday. Thanx for all the help everyone! Mystery solved!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:52 pm  

If it is a concern, both the Marklands and Iuz the Evil are post-war maps with Iuz in control of northern Furyondy.

Also note the maps are rather ugly.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:25 am  

I mainly wanted it to get some of the smaller towns and roads that aren't marked on the lower maps. I think I have enough info beween the map I found and Anna's maps to do what I need. Thanx again.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: