JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Campaign Ideas
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Campaign Ideas
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:17 am  
    Campaign Ideas

Greetings to all for the first time! I am a long time reader and a first time poster. Happy

To add some flavor and finally break in the 3.x rules (yes 15+ years of habit are hard to break), my group is starting a new campaign to coincide with our current campaign.

My plan (as DM) is to place the beginnings in the Yeomanry. Options abound for storylines, Giants, Drow, Sea of Dust, etc. I have some sketching done (with the Gazetteer as a guide), but would like to ask the community for any ideas they may wish to suggest (used and unused) that might enhance or add to my current ideas.

I plan to start in the year 591'ish but if the timeline needs to be adjusted to a bit sooner or later I could make it fit.

I appreciate all of your input.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:14 am  

Welcome! Where the ideas of marauding giants, the Sea of Dust are all classic examples of adventure one might find in the Yeomanry, there are many other varied things the players could play through in that area.

Allthough I do not support Living Greyhawk in the traditional sense, the LIVING GREYHAWK YEOMANRY site has some good background information if you are in need to quickly populate the area with ideas.

http://yeomanry.living-greyhawk.com/

Again, this is a LIVING area, so many idea's may conflict with true canon. Still some good idea's can be mined from this site. Good luck and Good adventuring!

...................................Omote
    FPQ

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:33 am  

Omote wrote:
    Again, this is a LIVING area, so many idea's may conflict with true canon. Still some good idea's can be mined from this site. Good luck and Good adventuring!FPQ

I do have a question/problem understanding this "True Cannon" idea. Could you please define what is meant by "True Cannon" and where it breaks from the Living Greyhawk in history/Oerth makeup.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:53 pm  

That is a very hard question to answer. If you were to ask a half-dozen 'Hawkers you'd get a half-dozen, varied responses.

Canon in GH for me is all of the GH Gaming material printed by TSR / WOTC. I leave out any reference to the Gygax novels (personally becuase I don't like them, kinda).

Living Greyhawk plays in the WoG but as the campaign evolves, so does the World of Grehawk. Certain events that happen are only understood by the writers of the tournament modules, and those playing in Living Greyhawk. Since the majority of 'Hawkers are either not interested, or not willing to participate in LGH (like myself), I completely leave any Living Greyhawk" off of my list of canon.

GH canon has be argued about and discussed a million times over (and that will never stop). IMO Greyhawk canon should be whatever you want GH canon to be. Simple. Just get out there and discover the greatness of the GH setting if you havn't already.

..................................Omote
    FPQ

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:53 am  

There will also be the new adventure path that will be appearing in Dungeon very soon. My mind has blanked out on the name, but it involves dragons as a focal theme. Lots of suitable dragon climates/habitats around the yeomanry. Hmmm....

Other than that, there are lots of other areas nearby of interest. Keoland, the Hold of the Sea Princes, Geoff, Sterich, Marches of Bissel, Ket, Gran march, ancient Suel and Baklunish lands, and the Azure Sea of course. There are lots of appropriate adventures for these locations availabe if you don't want to write everything yourself that is.

---Cebrion

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:31 am  

Omote thank you for your definition. Our campaign has been following the same guidelines as "cannon", though we have never defined it that way. It was very nice to read someones actual definition of "cannon" rather than trying to decipher it through threaded discussion.

Cebrion, thanks for the info regarding the upcoming Dungeon. I have been considering to start purchasing Dungeon again since I was handed a copy of #114 by a friend who was at GenCon. This interested me enough to peruse other copies at the local store. I guess now I will get back to regularly purchasing them.

The numerous options for storylines in the Yeomanry abound. My starting idea is to incorporate a classic mix of B1/B2 based on the "Return to the Keep" Silver module. However, after that I was searching for something different than just post-War related issues. Revisting the D series (a city dissappeared didn't it? Happy) or a desert campaign were options. But with this news regarding my favorite word "Dragons", I may have to leave another option open waiting for that future Dungeon issue.

Thanks again to both of you.
    CF Admin

Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:12 pm  

Hey Garnak, welcome to CF!

Istivin, the city you noted as "disappeared," is reportedly covered in the current issue of Dungeon 117 and shall be featured in the next two issues as well.

Rasgon once posted an interesting description of the Yeomanry on GreyTalk. Search its Archives, at http://www.greycitadel.com/greycitadel/greytalk.nsf. Rip's version featured the (pre)history of the high olves, firbolg, and the legendary titans of the region and connected such to the development of its human culture.

When you mention "Searching for something different than just post-War related issues" what kinds of subjects interest you?

If I ran a campaign in Yeomanry, I'd probably do so in order to create a relatively "normal" home for the PCs. My interests in that part of the Flanaess tend toward the Hold of the Sea Princes, so I'd likely design early (low level) adventures that beckoned the PCs to engage the chaos in the Hold. They might aid refugees and then venture into the Hold to liberate enslaved people (especially if any PC chose to worship Trithereon). They could take part in the battles around Westkeep. Depending on their interest, I might bring them deep into the Hold -- devising opportunities for them to tip the balance of the diverse factions.

When they'd gained some levels or became interested in something different, then I might make available some adventure beneath the Hellfurnaces and even into the Sea of Dust. I haven't figured out how I'd deal with the opening of Slerotin's Tunnel, its effects on the Lerara, etc., so I'd likely use this campaign to imagine it -- linking the fate of the ancient Suloise Empire to PC's attempts to preserve the Yeomanry's democracy, which is threatened by the Scarlet Brotherhood. If the PCs were game, then I'd also explore a pet project regarding the Olman of the Amedio Jungle.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:42 am  

Thanks for the link MTG.

The threat to democracy / way of life is a great point and one I will definetly incorporate it.

I appreciate the other ideas as well. I have several paths sketched out and the Hold was one of the directions the players could head, as well as the Sea of Dust, Dark Gate, and back into the mountains and those darn Giants.

I have the latest Dungeon and some of the notes in there are applicable, but only if the players head north. I believe that will be a viable option for them if they choose to head that direction.

Again thanks.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:45 am  
    Garnak

I have made this suggestion several times, and I hope that Ivormac and will be coauthoring an article here soon, but I like the idea of starting in 500 to 550 CY and moving forward with a group of characters. This allows your party to sample some of the classic adventures (many of which take place in the Sheldomar valley). It also allows for long down time periods (i.e. years) and therefore allows the characters to create strong stories and backgrounds (if they like this type of thing).

Using such a long time frame, they can generate contacts, find a love (which can be killed, or better yet corrupted), have a family (which can then be kidnapped), form a guild (which can , be infiltrated), made nobility (so that they can run afoul of the king)...well you get the idea. It also allows you to put them through the giant invasions, the first problems in Istvin, etc.

I think that Troupe style play (ala Ars Magica) would work very well in such a setting. Three generations of a heroic family could adventure. I think that, as people read novels, they often pursue D&D to try to caputre their own ideas, heroes and adventures without having to create their own world. They find that in D&D, but sometimes limited. I think instituting such a long time period would help create the feel of a story. It would not, however, limit the Hack & Slash style play that is often desired by some. Just a thought, but your use of Sterich seems to beg for this type of treatment, as there is so much material out there to use.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: