ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dwarves
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Dwarves
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 11, 2011 12:25 am  
    Dwarves

Gooday

Here's some notes I had to flesh out Dwarves abit more in Eastern Greyhawk.

Interaction Policy -
    - Trade with Humans, Gnomes and Halflings.
    - Do not get involved in other races conflicts, unless they are against Duergar, Fiends, Giants, Goblins, Orks or Undead.
    - Defence of Dwarven realms against Duergar, Fiends, Giants, Goblins, Orks or Undead takes precedence over Human wars.

Dwarven areas -

Iron Hills -

Glenturock - Many forts and holy sites that are warded vs fiends and undead. - 2 days South West of Zelradton. Over 2,000 Dwarves in the three forts. Clans Blackhearth and Highaxe.

Loch Wynara - Area is filled with pleistocene megafauna. - 3 days East of Irongate.

Ruins of Kemsamora - Old Minotaur ruins, no one has been there for years. - 5 days East of Irongate.

Flinty Hills -

Glenkarnock - Dwarven homes along top of the valley and beneath. - 5 days North West of Knurl. Over 5,000 Dwarves along the valley, 5,000 in the underground citadels. Clans Deepslate and Shaleforge.

Loch Fynnus - Flinty Hills - Lake goes to artesian basin and has caves to deeper. 200 feet deep atleast. Very large fish and snakes here. - 6 days North West of Knurl.

Ruins of Makruen - Frost Giants outpost, now inhabited by Trolls. - 3 days South of Ogburg.

Hestmark Highlands -

Glenrenock - Dwarven ancestral cairns along entire valley. A few subterranean forts. - 5 days South West of Pontylver. 8,000 Dwarves in the forts. Clan Stouthammer and Doomfyre.

Lock Larellan - Hestmark Highlands - Faerie come here at twilight, but not if they sense undead or fiends. Been coming here for 100,000 years. - 2 days North East of Pitchfield.

Ruins of Salumbra - Old Dwarven fort complex, now inhabited by Fiends. - 4 days east of Pitchfield.

Any thoughts/suggestions/criticisms?
    GreySage

Wed May 11, 2011 5:27 pm  

That's an interesting bit of skeletal information. However, I wonder if you mean Demons or Devils when you use the word 'Fiend'. It is my understanding that 'Fiend' refers to devils, but the Lawful Good dwarves would more likely consider demons a greater evil/threat.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 11, 2011 7:12 pm  

Devils and Demons.

Devils because in my games they are allied with Duergar.

I figure the Dwarves of these lands have taken down a few undead skeletal troop patrols from Ivid in the last two decades too.

They would be largely untouched by Scarlet Brotherhood since they only talk with Humans to trade goods then go on their way on most occaisions.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 12, 2011 4:05 am  

I am currently fleshing out the Irongate region to produce my own map of its notional territory.

I have Irongate and North Anchor and have added a number of small villages and one small town. A key piece of this puzzle is some of the dwarven settlements.

The excellent maps produced by Anna show two dwarven locations in the Irongate region, be they forts, mines or whatever. I'm hoping to add to these and then share on Canonfire.

What you've got sounds good and hopefully might inspire me to comment pen to paper (or whatever the modern day equiv is? Finger to Ipad?).
    GreySage

Sat May 14, 2011 2:44 pm  

The 2nd edition Complete Book of Dwarves and Castle Guide (which describes a few specifically dwarven fortress designs) are both invaluable in designing dwarven settlements. The Dwarves of Rockhome gazetteer also contains geomorphs for dwarven cities and a complete dwarven kingdom that could be dropped into the Lortmils or Iron Hills with few modifications.

While pit fiends are a kind of devil, the word "fiend" has been used as a blanket term to describe demons, devils, and other powerful lower planar creatures since 2nd edition. Which is useful, since saying "demons, devils, and other powerful lower planar creatures" is overly wordy, and we already have a word for devils and don't need a second, redundant one.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu May 19, 2011 10:39 am  

rasgon wrote:
    The 2nd edition Complete Book of Dwarves and Castle Guide (which describes a few specifically dwarven fortress designs) are both invaluable in designing dwarven settlements. The Dwarves of Rockhome gazetteer also contains geomorphs for dwarven cities and a complete dwarven kingdom that could be dropped into the Lortmils or Iron Hills with few modifications.

While pit fiends are a kind of devil, the word "fiend" has been used as a blanket term to describe demons, devils, and other powerful lower planar creatures since 2nd edition. Which is useful, since saying "demons, devils, and other powerful lower planar creatures" is overly wordy, and we already have a word for devils and don't need a second, redundant one.

Completely agree with Rasgon on these sources. All are invaluable and the Rockhome gazetteer is superb. Have always considered it to exist in the Lortmils in my GH although it has never come up in any campaigns yet.

I would also dig up the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords 2E module as that could be dropped into Greyhawk easily and the Paizo Dungeon magazines have several Maps of Mystery that would serve well as individual dwarven holds.

On your OP, I like your notes on dwarves in the setting. Would be good to see some of this fleshed out as articles here.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: