Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Postfest XV: Greyhawk Lairs & Sidetreks!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Postfest Forum & Archive
    Postfest XV: Greyhawk Lairs & Sidetreks!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 pm  
    Postfest XV: Greyhawk Lairs & Sidetreks!

Welcome to Postfest XV: Greyhawk Lairs & Sidetreks!

The topic of this Postfest is all about those interesting places you might run into while traveling hither and yon, both on and off the beaten path, in the World of Greyhawk. Don't let your mind get pigeon-holed into thinking this is just for wilderness areas either, as all sorts of things have "lairs" in, or nearby, cities too; both above and below ground.

While it is not a hard and fast rule, it is recommend that you cover something that has not been covered before, or that has been covered very little. Better still, introduce a new location of your own! Please post what you will be writing about in this thread. Duplicate topics are okay, but we would like to keep it to a minimum. Feel free to make your submission game edition specific or not, super crunchy(i.e. lots o' rules) or not at all, or anywhere in between. Basically, write what YOU want to write.

Now, on to the format. Your submission should be in the realm of 1,000-4,000 words or so in length(more if fine; less not so much). That is not set in stone, but it is a good average length for any Article. As usual, be sure to not only Spell Check your article but read it over yourself, as Spell Check will catch many things, but seldom everything.

You may submit your article HERE. Be sure to write a short introductory teaser for your article and be sure to cite any sources you may have used as well. ***See the directions at the top of the Submissions page if you have any problems with the text not being accepted(this may happen if you use Internet Explorer). Even if the text is not accepted, *you must still submit your article title on the Submissions page*. When e-mailing an article to editors<at>canonfire<dot>com, be sure that your article is in simple Word form, with no formatting of any sort if possible(the simpler the better). This just makes things a whole lot easier for us to deal with, so please take the time to do this.

Make sure you put the title of your submission in the following format:

Postfest XV: TITLE OF YOUR ARTICLE

***Submissions are due by May 1st.

Thanks!

---The Canonfire! Staff

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:36 pm  

Woohoo! I'm well-past overdue to submit something again, so....

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:12 pm  

And so we have our first victim...er...volunteer! Happy

I'll be looking to see if I have something scribbled down somewhere to contribute as well. It has been much too long since I have submitted an article.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:54 pm  

I'm in. Happy

I'll be submitting an underwater module. Haven't checked the word count yet. Confused

SirXaris
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:01 pm  

The topic is not entire modules/adventures, which will come in at around 50,000+ words. The idea here is for something about 10% that size.

Just for reference, here is an article that is about 4,250 words in length: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=879&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Looking at that, I'd say that a side-trek/lair could be as much as twice that long, but I wouldn't go much bigger than that.

*Also, if anybody has maps that will a part of their submission, notify me via PM when you submit your article that you also have a map that needs to be made a part of your article.
    Any submitted maps will need to be clearly drawn and marked. Unless a map is already in a finished format, I will re-do any hand-drawn maps in a more finished format, like so:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:45 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    The topic is not entire modules/adventures, which will come in at around 50,000+ words. The idea here is for something about 10% that size.

Okay. My misunderstanding. Confused

I'll offer a truncated write-up of Sir Xaris' castle and desmense in the Principality of Ulek. It can be used as a base of operations for adventuring companies invading the western Pomarj (pre - Greyhawk Wars, of course Wink).

Will the 'lair' of a beneficent NPC work?

SirXaris
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:43 pm  

Sure. Side treks don't don't always mean "We're gonna kill some stuff!", though they usually do. One "freak o' nature" article in the group ought not to throw too big a wrench in the works. Razz

8 weeks to go people. Get to writing! Evil Grin

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:22 pm  

If you do have maps for your submission, one or two at the most should suffice. If you will be requiring more than that then the focus of your submission is wandering a bit off topic or is much to large in scope. Submissions should be more about the information they provide than the maps. Wink

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:29 pm  
    "I have a lair"

Well, I am in the middle of a campaign, and I think that I may have a yuan-ti lair that I could share.

Okay, It has to be said -
    <squeaky little gnome voice>
    "I'm a monster! Rawr! ... and they hooked me up with this really great lair! ... I have a lair! Do you have a lair?"
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 pm  

Incabulos will be featured in my sidetrek. Not the Lord of plagues and diseases himself. But the main focus will be related to him.

There are many was to infect society not all require a disease or pestilence. One word can infect many and cause society itself to crumble and wither away. Yes many forms of decay, all in due time.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:16 am  

That would seem to be the archetypal MO of Syrul, not Incabulos, but I'm interested to see what you do with it.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:09 pm  

My write-up is almost complete and I've begun work on an area terrain map to accompany it.

My first question is this - is there a web address that I can send my completed draft to that a member, or members, of Canonfire! can critique it before I submit the final draft as an article? I'd really like a knowledgeable person or two to go over it to see if I've made any serious gaffs before publishing it on the website. Cool

Also,
    Cebrion wrote:
    Welcome to Postfest XV: Greyhawk Lairs & Sidetreks!
    ... When e-mailing an article to editors<at>canonfire<dot>com, be sure that your article is in simple Word form, with no formatting of any sort if possible(the simpler the better). This just makes things a whole lot easier for us to deal with, so please take the time to do this.

Really? You don't want me to underline, bold, italicize, change font sizes, etc.? It's okay with me, but it seems that it may cause more headaches for you this way... Sad Just checking.

Thanks for the help! Happy

SirXaris
    Master Greytalker

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 pm  
    Italics/bold in articles

SirXaris wrote:
    Really? You don't want me to underline, bold, italicize, change font sizes, etc.? It's okay with me, but it seems that it may cause more headaches for you this way... Sad Just checking.

I know what you mean. I mean, I do understand that they have to put it in by hand if you mail it to the efitors ... but still. I had an article that proved to be quite an annoyance ... I wrote using "foreign" words in the text, which are usually italicized in MLA. ... it just didn't read the same without them, IMO. But, they finally managed to get them in after a couple of re-loadings of the article.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:20 pm  

Bold and italicized text is fine, as are font *sizes*. Exotic font *types* which are not supported could be an issue, so just use the default font. Anything that is a *standard* part of Word should be fine.

Last edited by Cebrion on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:32 am  

Can I still submit article? I only saw this a couple of days ago and I wasnt sure if I would want to enter anything, but then the bug bit and now I want to Shocked
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:39 pm  

Postfest XV: Evil beneath the Kron Hills

Somewhere at the foot of the Lortmil Mountains, in the Kron Hills deep below the surface, an ancient evil stirred.

What had had caused it to awaked from it imprisoned slumber?

A large rat walked across the debris on the floor. Sniffing the air as it made its way cautiously towards the crypt. Its only way out of the chamber was through the hole it had entered. It sniffed the air once more before it scurried for the opening, the musky scent of death strong in the air!

Before the rat could make its escape, a large putrid bone arm broke free of the stone crypt. The rats eyes bulged in its head, as it felt the hand crush its spine. It let out a loud shrill squeak!

With an audible “snap,” the rat twitched once and was no more; slowly the arm retreated back into the crypt. It tore into the abdomen of the large rat, the still warm blood sprayed over its open maw. Ancient eyes flared open as blood trickled down its parched throat. The warm blood flowed down dry husks that were once arteries to its blackened heart.

“Once again it would be able to feed,” with that thought in mind, came the familiar smell.... human.

I will be using Pathfinder as my rules of choice.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:33 pm  

Dark Herald my submission might turn into two. Is also located near the Lortmils though not the Kron Hills. I guess it true what they say from beneath you it devours. Not my words thank Joss Whedon for that one.

Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:06 pm  

DarkHerald wrote:
    Can I still submit article? I only saw this a couple of days ago and I wasnt sure if I would want to enter anything, but then the bug bit and now I want to Shocked

Cebrion wrote:
    ***Submissions are due by May 1st.

I put that in the opening post for a reason. Laughing Wink

Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:23 pm  

Postfest XV:All Dried Out

Veluna has known peace for a long time, even when called to war their Kingdom has suffered little to none. So when the people of Shandalanar have one of their own die from and unknown sickness only to rise again, panic ensues.

Postfest XV: The Eyes of Possession

Sidaril the quick ran across the forest floor leaving behind caltrops to slowdown the trolls in pursuit. Often nimble the elven scout runs into a dark cloaked figure. Rushing to pull himself up the three trolls quickly catch up to Sidaril. Sidaril curses the brutes as he pulls out his long thin elvin blade. The Trolls pause as if frightened by the brazen elf then, they turn tale and run away.

Sidaril gasps and praises Corellon for sending the brutes away. The elfs attention is drawn to the figure he ran into. He was an ordinary looking man with bloodshot eyes and stark white hair drabbed in garbs of blacks and grays. He wore a diamond shaped brooch made of bloodstone with a jade oval set into the bloodstone and a jet circle set into the oval jade.

The figure spoke who are you elf? I'm Sidaril the quick, sorry for running into you and you sir replied the elf. I'm the Keeper of Dreams to some,but you my dear friend may call me the deliverer of Nightmares. Before the elf could respond to this troubling reply he felt a strange sensation as if he was in a trance like state. You elves relive your memories in this state well let me share some of mine the Keeper exclaimed.

Rumors abound of the elf who sleeps Sidaril the Scarred prophet of the Dark Rider.

GreySage

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:16 pm  

I don't mean to put pressure on you guys (the editors) as I know you have real lives just like the rest of us. However, I'm curious to know when I can expect our Postfest XV submissions to be posted on Canonfire!

Thanks! :)

SirXaris
    Master Greytalker

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:03 am  
    Timing for the postfest

Last time I submitted, and I assume that it hasn't changed since ... what they do is wait until the postfest is complete, and they're posted all in the same week or so. Each article gets it's own spotlight on the front page for a couple or few days, and they're all basically put up sequentially in the order they came in.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:33 am  

See HERE for what Postfest is about, and how it works.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:21 am  

This postfest covers quite a broad spectrum of possibilities and has been nagging at me. Here are my plans and I think they fit in. Neutral

In Kisail, Furyondy a man harbours a long held grudge against a local notable. Why does he nurse this grudge? Where is he lurking while the bitterness grows? And, when will he act? Where might pc's fit?

May 1st, you say Shocked
    GreySage

Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:20 am  

Ragr wrote:
    May 1st, you say Shocked

Aaaahhhh! Exclamation

All this time I've had April 1st in my head as the due date. Guess the joke's on me. Razz

SirXaris
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:28 pm  
    Postfest - which season?

Alright ... so, general question:
    I notice that the postfests seem to have missed a season or two ... and I noticed that this postfest doesn't have a title including the season (or festival month), so, is this for Growfest, or have the seasonal names been done away with for the postfests?

Just trying to keep them straight in my MS OneNote. Bookkeeping, and all, you know. rolleyes
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:41 pm  
    Swamp Hovel of Maderick Darkstone

Alright ... so, today, I am working on my submissions ... and I think that I am narrowing it down to three, short subject locations.
      A Yuan-ti lair in the wilderness.
      A Dungeon lair of a BBEG that is a former forge.
      A Swamp Hovel of a dwarven guide and worshipper of Marthammor Duin.

Over on my Artwork of Icarus thread, there's an illustration that I've done for the last lair, and a request for tips, ideas and suggestions for the article. So, c'mon over, take a look, and tell me what you think of the art for the little mud-dauber's "cave" that our dwur has made for himself.

Icarus
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 pm  
    Re: Postfest - which season?

Icarus wrote:
    Alright ... so, general question:
    I notice that the postfests seem to have missed a season or two ... and I noticed that this postfest doesn't have a title including the season (or festival month), so, is this for Growfest, or have the seasonal names been done away with for the postfests?

Just trying to keep them straight in my MS OneNote. Bookkeeping, and all, you know. rolleyes

As this Postfest was not set to a festival time, it does not have a festival name. I may add more to this later on, but on a different thread.

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon May 16, 2011 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:51 am  

Schweet, I already have some content finished for this. Love when that happens. Happy

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 am  

Mine's been submitted.
    GreySage

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:10 am  

Ragr wrote:
    Mine's been submitted.

And mine. Cool

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed May 11, 2011 6:18 pm  

abysslin,

its been a long time since I've seen you on these boards. Good to see you again I submitted All Dried Out. Did not think I had enough time left after All Dried out to submit my Eyes of Possession lair.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon May 16, 2011 10:29 pm  

Postfests are going up over the course of the next two weeks, and the first one just went up. Cool
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: