Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Evard in 4th edition (D&D Encounters)?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Evard in 4th edition (D&D Encounters)?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 20, 2011 4:47 pm  
    Evard in 4th edition (D&D Encounters)?

So it looks like Evard is in 4th edition (Essentials-D&D Encounters) now.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Event.aspx?x=dnd/4new/event/dndencounters

Last season they took the Ghost Tower of Inverness straight out of Greyhawk and put it in the 4th edition Essentials core world (Nentir Vale) for D&D Encounters. They took the gods-Kord, Pelor, and more....including the Raven Queen (which is probably Wee Jas) when 4th edition was created.

They brought in Dark Sun, Gamma World and there's talk of Ravenloft in 4th edition. So I wonder if they'll ever include Greyhawk or if they'll just keep stealing from it?

I feel like they need to give Greyhawk some credit as they keep robbing from it. Sad
    GreySage

Fri May 20, 2011 4:53 pm  

The problem, in my opinion, is that they think they can draw us veterans into 4th Ed. by using nostalgic references to Greyhawk places and personages, but no such nostalgia exists for new players who want the latest (assumed 'best') of everything. Thus they don't want to cause new players to think that they're doing anything 'retro'.

As a result, Greyhawk will, unfortunately, remain in retirement and be sent off to the RPG old folks' home. Confused

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 20, 2011 4:57 pm  
    Evard in 4th edition 'Dark Legacy of Evard'

Oh, as for Evard. According to Ghwiki:
    In the Living Greyhawk campaign, Evard is portrayed as a necromancer, and with his Ur-Flan allies he conquered Thornward in Sunsebb of 594 CY, and attempted to conquer all of Bissel with his undead army. After many battles, he was finally killed in Sunsebb of 595 CY.

Here's the synopsis for the 4th edition 'Dark Legacy of Evard'
    Many years ago, Evard came to Duponde to destroy his rival Vontarin, a powerful wizard who lived in a manor at the edge of town. The two mages met near the walls of the abbey of St. Avarthil and dueled all night long with black spells, laying the old monastery in ruins with their magic. In the morning the surviving friars found Evard dead in the wreckage, and buried him in the town’s graveyard. Vontarin was never seen again.
    Now, almost fifty years after his death, Evard’s final curse is about to descend on the town and everyone within it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 20, 2011 9:32 pm  

So how is that drawing the veteran's into 4th ed working? I think somebody voiced the fact that they hope Greyhawk never goes 4E. I have to admit I agree with them. I would rather the world found a home at Paizo than at WoTC. What they did to Faerun should be a crime.

Sun May 22, 2011 8:40 am  
    Evard in 4th Ed.

I can honestly say, I have been scouring the 'net for synopsis of the first two or three adventures in the D&D Encounters line. It's played at game stores and whatnot around the country. I don't know what becomes of the module packs after they're run ... or if there's a DM out there somewhere who's got'em or what.

I personally don't care whatsoever what edition it's in. I personally don't play 4th Edition, I play Pathfinder. I've been playing in the organized-play league, the Pathfinder Society. But, in my home games, I still prefer Greyhawk over any other setting there is. But I would love to read the history and lore that they're writing for Evard. Necromancer, Shadow mage ... probably both.
    I'm not going to go out and start playing 4th Edition just because of the "old school" references, but I would like to be able to make an informed decision about what I want to include or play. It bohters me to no end that I can't find the information anywhere, other than just some people talking about that he's in it. I want quotes, and I want info. Even if it's after the modules are run - obviously. No spoilers, I don't want anything before the game comes out each week ... I just want to be able to find out what was in it last week, so to speak.

I like the idea of using Evard. He's Greyhawk, and I love him. Numeric stats have changed for many personages over the years, and it's just thematically that they stay the same. I'd love to find out the back story that they've concoted for him. A lot of people didn't like it when they started using Rary, or Robilar. I say, so long as it's good, I'll use it.

Because ... if you look upjust a little from here ... Editions change. Greyhawk endures.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun May 22, 2011 10:21 am  

The WotC site gives synopses of each week's encounter, although I don't see any posted for last season, which was March of the Phantom Brigade, aka Ghost Tower of Inverness. Even with previous seasons there's not alot of info, and it varies with the season. Whoever was writing the Keep on the Borderland synopses wrote a decent amount but previous ones had given almost no info. You might get more info playing, but that's going to depend on your DM. The encounters are pretty hard to get unless you DM, although I've seen them for sale on ebay, but the prices are insane (Some dude is selling the module for the current season for $51), and I'm not sure how legal that is. I had assumed there was some kind of agreement that DM's wouldn't sell them, but who knows?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: