JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - History / Disposition of Innspa
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    History / Disposition of Innspa
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:08 am  
    History / Disposition of Innspa

I have always been puzzled by Innspa so thought I would seek the views of the learned sages here.

What puzzles me is this - is Innspa an Aerdy town and if so, how has it remained so with a location that close to Nyrond, on the west / north side of the Harp and with only part of the city walled?

Surely Nyrond (pre-Wars) would patrol to the forest boundaries at least if not to the defensible river boundary so what is Innspa doing there and how has it not been taken? LG sources name it an Aerdy town but is there any pre-Wars info that confirms (or refutes) this?

Grateful for views or source material (canon or otherwise) to resolve a long standing question I have had about the setting.
    GreySage

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:46 pm  

Excellent point. I've always wondered that myself. It will interesting to see what the answer is and the opinions are of others here -- who are more learned -- are. Wink Evil Grin

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:25 pm  

Firstly, I would imagine Innspa to be heavily fortified and require a significant seige for Nyrond/Almor to topple it. Border and naval skirmishes are one thing, but neither Nyrond nor Almor would be willing to raise the ire of the Overking with a major seige.

Also, I would imagine the Adri Forest is not a complete barrier. I think there should be trade roads cut through it to both the Great Kingdom proper and to North Province.

Finally, the Overking can call upon a huge amount of magical might. Both teleportation and flight are well within the mad Ivids' capabilities were a seige to have occurred.
    GreySage

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:30 am  

Ivid the Undying says (on page 76 of the fancy PDF version) that Innspa has been part of Nyrond, Almor, and North Province in its history, so I think the answer is that it isn't 100% defensible, though the same opportunistic family has ruled it for centuries regardless of which nation nominally claims it.

Their success seems to be less an ability to withstand sieges, and more an affinity with politics and a history of siding with the victors. If it's currently an Aerdy town, it's because Aerdy has seemed to be on the rise.
    GreySage

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:26 am  

Nice, Rasgon. Thanks for that. Cool

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:33 am  

Perhaps Innspa remains part of Aerdy because everybody just has more important things to fight over. With local rulers who are savvy enough to keep their heads down, nestled among forest and hills (not the best farm land) and with no trade coming down the Harp River from the humanoid overrun Bone March, Innspa might just be low on the "to-do" list for kings.

Now, being D&D, the discovery of some nearby ruins, an artifact, etc., might make Innspa the center of all manner of attention.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:58 am  

Here's an excerpt from my forthcoming (?) Dragonsfoot AD&D® module The Tower of Azal'Lan. It's not 100% canon — in particular, I changed the character of Stakaster as portrayed in King of the Dead — but I hope it will be helpful:

***SPOILERS***

Quote:
    Prologue

WORLD OF GREYHAWK® Setting

The events described in this adventure module initially begin in the town of Innspa (hex N2-68), culminating at a location in the northern Adri Forest (hex L2-63). The nominal season is low summer of 571 CY, although any pre-Wars date would work equally well; simply modify references to the weather if the season is not low summer. If the DM wishes to relocate the adventure to his or her own campaign setting, any border town on the edge of a temperate forest will suffice. The history of Azal’Lan (q.v.) can likewise be adopted wholesale or altered as needed.

DM’s Background

Nearly three centuries ago, in 283 CY, a powerful magic-user named Firan Zal’honan [FEER-ahn zal-HOH-nahn] rose to power in the County of Knurl (in present-day Bone March), which he quickly freed from the depredations of roaming bandits. His subjects proclaimed him “Azal’Lan” [az-ahl-LAN] — “Wizard-King,” in Old Oeridian. Azal’Lan swore fealty to the Overking in Rauxes and ruled his dominion with an iron fist for the next 30 to 40 years.

The Wizard-King’s hold over Knurl gradually began to weaken, though the populace still feared his power. In particular, his active “discouragement” of priesthoods in Knurl — and the near-total abolition of worship that followed — led to growing peasant unrest. Then, in 327 CY, Firan’s own son, Irik [EE-rihk], was discovered freeing some of his father’s political prisoners. Torn between devotion to his laws and devotion to his son and heir, Azal’Lan ultimately chose the former; not only did he order Irik beheaded, he wielded the axe personally.

While this drastic action quelled the rebellious peasants, Azal’Lan himself was wracked with self-doubt. He turned inward and began to heed the counsel of the nameless voices that spoke to him in his despair. These dark powers guided the aging wizard-king (already nearing the 100th anniversary of his birth) toward the ultimate power of life and death that he sought; in 329 CY, Azal’Lan shed his mortality and became a lich.

For another threescore years, the lich Azal’Lan ruled the County of Knurl, expanding his dominion ever outward and even daring to renounce his fealty to the Malachite Throne. From the bodies of his fallen enemies, Azal’Lan raised a veritable army of undead minions. His reign of terror consumed the Blemu Hills, the Flinty Hills, and the whole of the Adri Forest.

Finally, in 391 CY, the Wizard-King went too far. After Azal’Lan captured the border town of Innspa, Nyrond was forced to march against him. The sorcerer Stakaster [stah-KAS-ter], an apprentice of the lich, betrayed his master and led him into a trap. Azal’Lan fled into a nearby fog bank and vanished into the mists, never to be seen in the Flanaess again…

The Town of Innspa

History

A semi-independent border town, Innspa (pop. 2500) has been virtually the personal fief of Prince Corazell Garasteth [kawr-ah-ZEL gah-RAS-teth] (LN Oeridian male MU 12) — whose family owns the surrounding territory — since c. 560 CY. Political realities, however, dictate that the Lord Mayor of Innspa, Jiminez Serth [zhih-MEEN-ez SAYRTH] (N Oeridian male), swears allegiance to the Prelate of Almor. Initially a small mining village called Nonizburg, the settlement became a vibrant trading post dealing in farm produce from nearby Nyrond, fish from the Harp River, copper from the Flinty Hills, and timber from the Adri Forest.

From these humble beginnings, the town grew into a resort for wealthy Aerdi nobles, particularly in the last 200 or so years. In 322 CY, an eccentric wizard who was obsessed with personal hygiene had the first ornate public baths built, harnessing the town’s natural bubbling springs and (some legends claim) a bound fire elemental. For but 1 cp, commoners are permitted a quick dip in the “tepid water” baths. Members of the upper classes may indulge themselves in a foaming hot water bath, complete with herbal infusions and mineral salts, soap, and hot towels for the bargain price of 2 gp.

As the appeal of these baths grew, and as most of the old mines were depleted, the population of the place (then known as Minerstown) began to shift. Most of the dwur [dwarven] and noniz [gnomish] miners moved on to new lodes further up in the Flinty Hills, while tourist traffic began to increase. This influx of visitors sparked the building of several inns and taverns, which in turn gave rise to the town’s current name — “Inn” + “Spa”.

Layout

Situated on the western edge of the Adri Forest, the roughly half-mile-square town is surrounded by a ten-foot-high wooden palisade. Three gates give ingress to the place: the West Gate, at the terminus of the main road from the northern Great Kingdom and through Almor; the North Gate, with a track leading north — parallel to the noniz aqueducts (q.v.) — and then west through the Flinty Hills; and the little-used East Gate, from which leads a track to the village of Elversford in the Adri Forest (hex J2-67). Just beyond the town’s walls, along the northern track, lie a quarry and the one remaining copper mine. There is a lumber mill to the east, and to the south stands the prince’s estate.

Most of the architecture within the town shows clear evidence of the dwur and noniz stonemasons who built the place. In fact, while only a couple of dozen dwur still remain in Innspa, the 200 or so inhabitants of the Noniz Quarter are still an important part of the day-to-day life here. Their most impressive contribution is certainly the series of stone aqueducts — unparalleled anywhere else in the Flanaess — that channel fresh water down from the Flinty Hills and throughout the town, using an ingenious system of interconnected distribution towers. Only a gnome could think of such a contraption…

As I understand the history, Innspa was part of Nyrond in 391 CY when Azal'Lan captured it (forcing Nyrond to retaliate). Sometime between then and 576 CY, it became part of Almor. The town became independent during the Wars and is now the seat of an Ahlissan principality.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:54 am  

Brilliant. Thanks all for responses.

This clarifies things a lot. I like the idea of a border town that has been low down the list of priorities for everyone. Perhaps the hills and passes surrounding the place offer some measure of protection as well. It also leaves things open for a sudden surprise attack as Nyrond/Aerdy marches an army through the supposedly impassable hills/forest around the town doing something they've never done before.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:41 am  

In the Gord books (sorry I don't have an immediate page cite), Innspa is revealed to be a sort of "pun-name" concantenating "Inn" and "Spa." It is said to be a place of numerous inns, taverns and spas surrounding some natural hot springs. It is essentially a resort town favored by the nobility of both Nyrond and Aerdi.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 am  

Innspa was specifically part of Almor as of the World of Greyhawk Folio (1980).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: