Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - [UPDATE: Time is Up for Postfest!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    [UPDATE: Time is Up for Postfest!
    CF Admin

Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:08 pm  
    [UPDATE: Time is Up for Postfest!

For immediate release: 1 December 2004

This Postfest's submission deadline has lapsed. Thanks to all of our participants!

Canonfire! is pleased announce that it is sponsoring another Postfest to close the year 2004. This time the topic is:

Villains and Foils of the Flanaess

Fans of the World of Greyhawk are invited to write about a villain (or other suitable foil for PCs) that plagues a particular group or locale, or some other scoundrel bent on doing evil or opposing the interests of your campaign. Your villain or foil does not have to be evil, either. He or she can be anyone who uses tyranny, coercion or force for “the common good.” While statistics are welcome for any edition of the Dungeons & Dragons® game, the emphasis should be on why your villain is so troublesome or nefarious. For example, where did she come from? What compelled him to walk dark paths? Who does she despise the most and work so tirelessly to vex? And, what does he or she look like? Is he an old leather-skinned warlock? Or, is she the beautiful temptress whose charms cannot be resisted? Does she work from the shadows, manipulating minds and emotions? Or he is an overt nemesis that takes on the forces of weal in open contempt? Or is he the force of law and rectitude run amok. The choice is yours.

While there are no restrictions to your imagination, there are a few rules that govern format. Your rascal’s article must be one or two pages long (600 – 1200 words). He or she must also be from or set in the World of Greyhawk. Your evildoer or foil can be a personality of your own creation, or a rancorous Non-Player Character from the collective books of the World of Greyhawk Campaign Setting that needs further development. You may submit more than one entry.

All entries must be submitted to Canonfire! by November 30, 2004.

Submitting your article is easy. Follow the steps outlined below:
    1. Visit the Canonfire! Web site www.canonfire.com.
    2. Create a site account, or if you already have one, just log in.
    3. Click the "Submit an Article" link at the top of the page, just below the banner.
    4. Submit your article! Please include the word POSTFEST in the title.
    5. E-mail any extra information, artwork, or requests to editors@canonfire.com.

Voting on an article is easy, too.
    A thread dedicated to the Villains of the Flanaess Postfest will appear on the Canonfire! forums. Voting will be enabled on December 14, 2004. You will be asked to vote for your top three favorite articles. Only registered Canonfire! users can vote to ensure that voting is fair. If you experience technical difficulties with the forums, please e-mail your votes to editors@canonfire.com and they will still be counted in the final tally. Be sure to indicate your Canonfire! User Name in the e-mail.

Still wondering what Postfest is?
    A Postfest is a contest where fans of the World of Greyhawk write their own takes on a given Greyhawk topic. Postfests originated on the TSR/AOL mail list when the World of Greyhawk was an inactive setting. Members of the list submitted written entries to the list, and many aspects of Greyhawk saw continued development. The only thing that has changed is that Postfest has moved from a mail list to a Web based platform. The written topics are still set in Greyhawk and fans from far and wide are all invited to participate. There is no prerequisite or experience necessary – the Postfest is for everyone and anyone who is willing and able to write about the topic and submits his or her entry before the deadline. All of the entries are subsequently published and shared on the Canonfire! Web site for all to enjoy.

Having trouble getting started?
    Perhaps there is a mid-level agent of Iuz who casts his dark shadow over the local village. What about the villainous Bargle the Mage whom abducts the city’s inhabitants for his foul experiments. There might also be the fatherly priest, bent on enforcing his deity’s doctrine for the good of all – whether they like it or not. You can also browse the entries from the last Postfest (Mysterious Places) HERE to see what participants have done in the past.

Still have questions?
    Just post them below, and our crack staff of editors will provide an answer and clarify any issues. We’ll do our best to un-muddy the waters with our purify and dispel confusion spells.

Last edited by Greyson on Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:56 am; edited 4 times in total
    CF Admin

Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:11 am  

Sweet, POSTFEST time! Wink

I just found myself reading the 1st series all over again, lol )

Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:57 am  

I am definately going to submit and I am wondering if there is a limit to the number of submissions?

Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:13 pm  

IvorMac wrote:
    I am definately going to submit and I am wondering if there is a limit to the number of submissions?

No, IvorMac. And good question.

Right now, we do not have a submission limit. We do ask that each submission be made seperately.

Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:16 pm  

Do modules count as part of the collective world of greyhawk setting source material from which we can take our villain?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:50 am  

my guess is it would depend on the module... if it is a greyhawk module, or one that is commonly agreed to be set in greyhawk (or has been retconned to officialy be set in greyhawk, such as I7 Baltron Beacon) then it should be fair game... I doubt that using a villain NPC from a FR or Mystara module would qualify though ;)
    CF Admin

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:15 pm  

rumblebelly wrote:
    Do modules count as part of the collective world of greyhawk setting source material from which we can take our villain?

Yes. And, as Wes keenly and accurately put it, the key is to use a published adventure, or module, that is clearly noted to be a part of or identified with the World of Greyhawk setting.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:51 am  

Is the 1200 words a solid cap? I am writing in more of a story form, but don't want to submit anything that may be considered too long. I'm not sure how long it is at this point, but I'm sure it's way over that.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:39 am  

Quote:
    Is the 1200 words a solid cap? I am writing in more of a story form, but don't want to submit anything that may be considered too long. I'm not sure how long it is at this point, but I'm sure it's way over that.

It is a guideline. Do whatever the hell you want! Wink

Mine is 4,207 words /shrug...

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:42 am  

There are ONLY 2 POSTFEST submissions in the query and the deadline is in 5 days!

Let's get going writers! Get those fingers and your keyboard in gear! Everyone needs to contribute and make this event a success.

If you are having osme sort of problem with the submission process or questions about the guidelines, please email me immediately and I will help you work through them so we can get your submission in for POSTFEST publication.

abyss@canonfire.com

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:58 am  

Please flag your submission for this event by including POSTFESt in the title of your contribution. Thank You.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:46 pm  

I thought the deadline was Nov 31 ... well Nov 30?

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:36 pm  
    [EDIT] Nov 30 Deadline

Okay, I have screwed the Postfest daedline up enough. And, because of my blunder, the date has indeed been changed.

The deadline is Tuesday, November 30, 2004.

I did erroneously note the deadline in the initial post. And, becasue of that, it has been changed to 30 Nov 04.

Thanks for your patience - and for helping me get straightened out.

Embarassed

Last edited by Greyson on Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:36 am  

I sent in my postfest entry today.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:44 pm  

Ok I hate to say it, but I have slacked off on the project due to the thought that it was deadlined for the 30th, so I am happy bout the extension, but as a question, will anything be posted before that deadline? This is my first postfest, so I am unsure of the way things are done.

Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:51 pm  

generally the way it works is that they are all posted at once.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:54 pm  

Thanks for the prompt reply! I think i'm going to use the time i have free to work on it. Laughing

Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:38 pm  
    My second postfest submission

OK, I got mine in today!

It started out small but then got a little more elaborate as my creative juices got flowing. I was not big on putting stats in my article, I was leaning more to creating a weird story line and adventure hooks. Well, I can't wait to see what comes out of the deranged imaginations of the CF crowd this time around!

Good luck all!

O-D
    CF Admin

Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:42 pm  
    So Far So Good

firenice wrote:
    ... but as a question, will anything be posted before that deadline? This is my first postfest, so I am unsure of the way things are done.

Good question. No, no entries will be posted before the 30 Nov deadline. Our goal is to post the entries all at once after the deadline. My hope is to post them on or about 14 December. That is a tentative date. I will fix a date near the submission deadline.

Great questions, guys. And I am glad to see the submissions coming in. So far so good.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:19 pm  

We're up to 11, barely over 1/2 the total count of the last POSTFEST. I know the Greyhawk and Canonfire communtiy can do better than this. I would expect no less than 30 submissions for this event.

800 words is hardly an exhuasting and timestaking detail. Let's get going guys!

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:07 pm  

Both my entries are in, Greyson or Abysslin, could you please confirm for me that they made it intact?

p.s. You have any other bright ideas for me Abysslin? I still have oh...a week to go...j/k Shocked
    Master Greytalker

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:27 am  
    Another

I have another that is about ready to go in, but what is too long of a submission?
    CF Admin

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:37 am  

Mort> looking good.

Anced> Too long is when the word count is so high that the submission software cuts off the ending (or beginning!) heh..

Wink

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:59 pm  

I have sent in my second submission. I hope it made it under the wire.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:11 am  

Ivormac> You're in, bud.

Hey, if anyone hasn't got theirs in yet, hurry up and Greyson might not notice. Wink

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:54 am  
    Thanks All

Hey, all.

Thanks to everyone who participated. We appreciate and are excited by all of the entries.

You guys are awesome.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:59 pm  

Man! I missed the deadline Sad That's what I get for being away so long.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:52 pm  

Androlphas wrote:
    Man! I missed the deadline Sad That's what I get for being away so long.

You can always submit your idea as a regular article, Androlphas :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: