ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Of Iuz Eternal
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Of Iuz Eternal
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:50 am  
    Of Iuz Eternal

Hello everyone!

Since in my current game the PC's have managed to slay a number priests, and other worshipers of the Old One.

I am curious though if somebody could answer what happens to the soul of a worshiper of Iuz after they die? Do they go to some random place in the Abyss or one of Graz'zt's layers? Or maybe Pazuzu (I think that is the other one that is allied with him?)

Anyway's any help would be appreciated, I always love doing the old fashion trick of when a evil NPC dies have him come back as a demon later. Just trying to figure out how that might happen with Iuz.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:18 am  

I think his worshipers have to stay right where they are, as spirits forever haunting the City of Skulls. He may use their souls as bricks to expand his city, forge them into weapons, or transform them into sniggering quasits to serve him.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:29 am  

Sounds right to me.

Remember, Oerth IS Iuz' home plane. So why would they go any place else? And Iuz is not adverse to the Undead either.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:33 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Sounds right to me.

Remember, Oerth IS Iuz' home plane. So why would they go any place else? And Iuz is not adverse to the Undead either.

Well, the other argument is that Iuz isn't powerful enough to hold the spirits of his followers back, so they just go to their plane of alignment like everyone else; for most of them, that'd be the Abyss, although for some it might be Tarterus, Pandemonium, or elsewhere.

But I like the idea of him building his city from the tormented souls of his followers.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:43 am  

rasgon wrote:
    But I like the idea of him building his city from the tormented souls of his followers.

That's the part that I liked the sound of! Laughing

But I'm sure that Iuz is capable of holding back some of his mortal followers. The question is; Which ones?

But I always trust your judgement Rasgon. Wink

And check your PMs every once in awhile! Evil Grin

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:42 am  

I was mostly asking because to some degree it seemed like it Iuz was sort of 'cheating' in a way if the souls end up in the City of Skulls since if you kill a worshiper of Vecna or Nurell their souls go to their respective planes, and while they can be used for things by their gods in their own planes they cannot be used for things on the Prime Material.

Another question is how limited these Petitioners are in how far they can go, because if they are only limited staying on the Prime Material that seems a bit unfair that his armies in truth never get smaller if he decides to use Petitioners as soldiers.

However I do like the idea of him building his city, and indeed the weapons of his army out of the souls of the dead. Maybe I will do a write up of the unique items, and weapons that are formed out of this process.

Anyway's thank you for the quick answers :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:53 am  

destroy the corpse and it can't be used as a zombie or skeleton or such Wink The players in BK used to break off the jaws, cut out tongues and such so that Speak with Dead spells couldn't be used, so you just take it one step further..... Happy

TT

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:08 am  

The issue has been brought up that it would be extremely unbalancing (and therefore difficult for a DM to explain) if the souls of all of Iuz's worshippers remained here on the Prime Material plane, even right here in the Flanaess/Dorakaa!

A better solution, in my opinion, is to say that souls go to the outer plane of their alignment and from there are assigned to the god, demon, devil, etc. to whom they offered their worship. The power that is the recipient of the soul is then free to use them for whatever purposes and to whatever degree each DM determines appropriate for his/her campaign.

Remember, Iuz keeps his own soul(gem?) on one of the outer planes. He entrusted it to Tzuggtomoy for a while. I don't know if it's still in her care, though. His godly power still comes from the Abyss, he's just an exception to the rule about traveling to the Prime Material plane because of his special circumstances - human parent and birth on the Prime Material plane. In Living Greyhawk, Iuz even conquered one of Pazuzu's realms in the Abyss and took it for his own. It is very possible that he has another (or more) small demi-planes connected to the Abyss wherein the souls of his worshippers are sent. The power these souls offer their god flows to him from those outer planes.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:40 am  

Greetings,

I would agree with the perspective that all dead priests lose their souls (barring magical intervention) to the Abyss where they are transformed into larvae or somesuch other minor creature (imp, quasit, manes, etc). Remember that the souls of such become the currency of the eternal Blood War between the tanar'ri and the baatezu. Prized, higher ranking priests may be able to climb the echelons of the system, if fortunate, as these reincarnated minions of vileness (recall that Tuerny did the same, and is now a powerful nalfashnee demon) are metamorphosed into more powerful tanar'ri over the course of time (rare, but possible).

The other idea available to you is that they are animated as various forms of undead, whether corporeal or otherwise, by spell or their own vile wickedness and utter evil.

Hope this helps.

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41 am  

That is a interesting thought the idea of a layer of the Abyss or even a demiplane being under the control of Iuz.

Maybe that is part of his future plans, to bring this demiplane or layer of the Abyss in contact with the Prime Material so that he can tap that army of loyal Petitioners in some future conflict to hopefully win in the next major war.

Lots of interesting ideas with that, though I admit just for style I like him using the souls of the dead to make bricks, weapons, and the like. Maybe I will use a bit of both. -muses on this-
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:36 am  

SirXaris wrote:

Remember, Iuz keeps his own soul(gem?) on one of the outer planes. He entrusted it to Tzuggtomoy for a while. I don't know if it's still in her care, though. His godly power still comes from the Abyss, he's just an exception to the rule about traveling to the Prime Material plane because of his special circumstances - human parent and birth on the Prime Material plane. In Living Greyhawk, Iuz even conquered one of Pazuzu's realms in the Abyss and took it for his own. It is very possible that he has another (or more) small demi-planes connected to the Abyss wherein the souls of his worshippers are sent. The power these souls offer their god flows to him from those outer planes.

SirXaris

In the LG campaign, Iuz' aim was to establish his own plane/demi-plane in the Abyss (Pazuzu's realm) so he could make it his 'home' for immortal reasons. If he is killed in the Prime Material plane without the refuge, he is utterly destroyed. In the Bandit Kingdoms LG campaign, the plot arc was for the PC's and such to attempt to thwart his plans for immortality IIRC. Whether they knew it or not, 99.9% didn't.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:39 am  

Do you know what year that is for the Bandit Kingdom adventures that deal with that?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 am  

That was actually more of an Iuz meta-region and Core plot arc. In the Iuz meta-region plot arc, Iuz did defeat Pazuzu and gained control of Torremor and Lamashtu, Queen of Monstrous Births iirc. In the Core plot arc that followed, Iuz then tried to replicate Zagyg's apotheosis to increase his own divine rank (i.e., he set about capturing 9 gods). One of the Bonehearts tried to betray Iuz, iirc, while the PCs tried to stop the increase in divine rank. Britt Frey, LG Circle member, refused to tell me what the final outcome was of this core plot arc because he never received back the table results from the various conventions where these mods were played.

aurdraco
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 am  

I think I might have found the adventures your talking about, I will take a look through them. Again thanks for all the help!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:25 pm  

Rasgon knocked that answer out of the park.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:24 am  

I would say all souls go through the kingdoms of the pantheons death deity and are then sent to the appropriate plane. So his worshipers souls would go to the abyss.

That being said he might even take some of those souls to power the soulhusks on the prime. Deals can always be made but souls are the dominion of deities who watch over the dead. These souls are judged and sent on their way. However a deity can always petition for a soul which belongs to them.

That's my take anyway. I would like to see your take on this Iressi.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:22 am  

Well here is my current thought about it.

Currently when the faithful die they travel to under the City of Skulls as Larva similar to the Larva that crop up in the Abyss after a CE person dies. Unlike the Abyss the Larva never mature, they are sort of stillborn though still containing the soul of the worshiper. They cannot however ever progress through the ranks of demonhood.

Now I am thinking that you can use these Larva for a number of things; fueling evil spells, creating magical items, trading with demons (similar to how Larva are used in the Lower Planes), building materials, et cetera. However even his most faithful, and powerful are stuck with this fate. Not sure how many worshipers know about this, something to muse about I suppose.

However since currently if he is really killed on the Prime Material he is dead forever his goal is similar to the LG plot that Tiny and Tigger mentioned. He wants his soulgem to be anchored to some other realm, preferably one that has close connections to this world. I wont go into much more detail since Crystal reads these forums and it might come up in the game, but after that point the souls would travel to that new realm becoming demons or maybe something unique to Iuz.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:40 am  

Iressi wrote:
    I wont go into much more detail since Crystal reads these forums and it might come up in the game, but after that point the souls would travel to that new realm becoming demons or maybe something unique to Iuz.

You know you just have to say the word, Darling, and I won't read threads you're posting in without asking you first. <3

Very interesting thoughts so far on all parts. I really like the idea of his worshipers' souls being used to build his city! It puts such an awesome image in my mind.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: