JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Knlightly orders in the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Knlightly orders in the Flanaess
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:36 am  
    Knlightly orders in the Flanaess

We're playing Pathfinder and we want to come up with new cavalier orders besides those described in their Advanced Player's Guide.
    How many "canon" orders are there in the Flanaess?
    I could count Knights of the Hart, Watch, Shielding, Luna, Protectors of the Great Kingdom...
    Any others?
    Any ideas on the special abilities cavaliers of these orders should have?
    Here are the "base" orders: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/orders/paizo---cavalier-orders
    To start with which abilities would you give to Knights of the Hart (all three branches)? I plan to create a custom file to include for users of Hero Lab....
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:52 am  

WoTC did the Knights of the Hart as prestige classes, one for each order within the Hart. They also covered the Watch, but as an organization, not prestige classes (They were probably pushing whatever DMG covered organizations at the time). They're all in the Power Groups section under LG - http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/arch/lgpg
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:30 am  

There were also the Knights of Doom but I doubt that is the sort of knightly order you are looking for :P

They also did a Knight Protector of the Great Kingdom prestige class in the Sword and Fist book.

As far as what orders I would use...

Knights of the Hart: Order of the Shield or Lion
    Knights of the Watch: Order of the Shield (Maybe star due to their mysticism)
    Knights of the Holy Shielding: Order of the Dragon or Lion
    Knights of Luna: Order of the Lion
    Protectors of the Great Kingdom: Order of the Lion

At least I would think those Orders would be the most common as the way I imagine the various knighthoods. YMMV though, and really I could see most of the various orders finding a place within these knighthoods.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:05 am  
    Re: Knlightly orders in the Flanaess

MToscan wrote:
    To start with which abilities would you give to Knights of the Hart (all three branches)? I plan to create a custom file to include for users of Hero Lab....

Are you talking about creating new abilities for the knight orders or just reassigning the existing Pathfinder ones?

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:54 am  

Iressi,

I think the Cavalier class from PF is a good place to mine for ideas but the Knightly orders need their own set up sort of alternative Paladin-Like classes though need not be LG they can be treated similar some what of a cross between the two.

Don't fret they are on my list as well Knightly orders of Eastern Oerik, hope to see the submit article link again soon.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:16 am  

OMG!

More for me to edit!

Hehehehehe

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:44 am  

MS,

It is my duty to make you edit until your eyes are sore! Laughing

Later

Argon
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:02 am  
    Re: Knlightly orders in the Flanaess

crystaltears wrote:
    MToscan wrote:

Are you talking about creating new abilities for the knight orders or just reassigning the existing Pathfinder ones?

Actually both, I wasn't sure yet at the time. Sometimes I am eager for adding rules and options, sometimes I would just go back to the base four classes and experiment with storytelling... in my campaign only 5% of clerics have actually the "cleric" class, if you know what I mean, the rest are just experts or commoners, so why tweaking too much on classes?

The Hero Lab idea was for new Cavalier Orders as for the PF rules, but they existing ones are broad enough to comprise all cavalier orders without much tweaking. I think I will go for the regular orders (Lion, etc.) and add/remove things as we go.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, i will keep my eyes open for the new articles!
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:14 pm  

There are several canon orders, including:

Knight Protectors of the Great Kingdom
    Knights of the March (defunct; predecessor to the KoW)
    Knights of the Watch
    Knights of Dispatch
    Knights of Holy Shielding
    Knights of Luna
    Knights of the Hart (Veluna, High Forest, Furyondy)
    Iron Nation Knights
    Knights of Doom
    Glaives of Azharadin
    Knights of the Chase
    Holy Knights of Rao
    Knights of the Book
    Knights of the Chalice
    Knights of the Mace
    Knights Valorous
    Templars of the Theocracy
    Knights of the Malachite Thone (from Gord books, possibly same as Knights of Doom)
    Paladin

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:20 pm  

Wasn't there also The Queen's Knights? Seems like I recall something around that as a "freelance" order... I used them for matriarchy order for female paladins
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:39 pm  

From the pen of Anced_Math:

Queens's Knights

From my own pen:

Knights of Holy Shielding

Knight Protectors of the Great Kingdom

Knights of the Hart

Check out the Articles section, Groups & Factions, for more offerings. Some articles are crunchy, some are fluffy, and some are both.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 pm  

Big C
    thanks for the threads,,, all made a good read and wil make good spring boards. Really enjoyed the Detail around the Queens Knights.
    I do seem to recall (barely, thats what happens when one "slumbers" for 10 years) I thought I got the idea in my campaign around a similar "group / order" in the Celene area in service to the Queen??, don't recall if it was the old Gazetter or a Dragon article....
    Anyway, your attachements were certainly enjoyable and fit well against the thread of Paladin "types" elswhere on site (though personally, I differ Paladins from Knights in my campaign.)
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 am  

As do I, and so it is reflected in the articles are written(i.e. a character of any class, that meets the requirements, could feasibly become a knight). The articles I wrote are not articles for paladins, though they can be used for them. Knights are not necessarily paladins, and paladins are not necessarily knights. The lines in that regard tend to blur greatly in one particular place in Greyhawk- the Shield Lands.

The Palish, however, might disagree with that assessment. Laughing

I have one more article in that series, which I have been putting off for a long time- The Knights of the Watch & Knights of Dispatch. It is all but done, but the opening history is still being beaten into a finished form(it has been the toughest of the bunch to get through). Not sure when I'll get the wild hare to finish it though.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: