Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - I need a large town or small city...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    I need a large town or small city...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:01 pm  
    I need a large town or small city...

Let me begin with how intimidated I am by the folks on this site. Seriously, you guys and gals know so much about WoG that sometimes (read: always) I feel a wee bit stupid and certainly out of my league when I post on here. Oddly enough, this is actually a blessing in disguise because I use your esoteric knowledge all the time (I just wish I had something valuable to offer in return). With that being said, I need your help in creating a town.

I want to begin a campaign, but I need a river and docks, some place that isn't as big as Gradsul or Greyhawk, but isn't so far out of the way that the town should be called Walnut Grove (showing my age). Smile I want to have a nice place to begin the characters in safely, but not have everything at their beck-and-call.

The background is simple. It's after the Greyhawk Wars. Plagues have swept through the lands and everyone has retreated, focusing on infrastructure. Thus, the old borders are observed in namesake, but no one has enough manpower to actually enforce them. The cities are points of light and once you leave sight of the walls, you're truly on your own. Anywho...I need a place to start the kids. All characters will begin as humans. Any suggestions? Embarassed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:23 pm  

One place you might consider is the port town of Sasserine that was sort of stamped onto the setting in 3.5 with the Shackled City and Savage Tide adventure paths in Greyhawk.

Here is the players guide: http://paizo.com/dungeonissues/SavageTide/SavageTide_HR.pdf

Another fun area is the Wild Coast like places like Highport, and what not.

As far as making a town I can give some tips later but I just finished a long game. :)

I am sort of a newbie when it comes to Greyhawk lore so don't worry you are not alone, and you shouldn't feel stupid at all! The more people we have posting on here, and talking the better.
    GreySage

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:20 pm  
    Re: I need a large town or small city...

Ooooh! I was going to say, "Sanctigaard! Happy "
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1013
    until you said this:

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    The background is simple. It's after the Greyhawk Wars.

Any how, The Keep on the Borderlands sounds like just the kind of setting you are asking for. You'll have to convert it to whatever edition you're playing, but that's more fun than trouble. Wink You can place it anywhere you want in the Flanaess. Officially, it is placed in the Yeomanry, according to Return to the Keep on the Borderlands, but you can place it in Tenh, the northern Vesve, the Dim Forest, Blackmoor, or anywhere else you consider a 'borderland'.

Sasserine seems to be quite a large metropolis to be located in such a remote location as the Amedio coast, but Iressi is correct that it fits your requirements to a 'T'. Likewise, the city of Cauldron from the Shackled City adventure path (in Dungeons #99 - 116 skipping a few here and there) is even more remote and a bit smaller than Sasserine. If you would like to have a bit more free reign in designing the city yourself, you might consider Fort Blackwell. It is situated near the northeastern tip of the Amedian peninsula. It's town-sized, not too far from Sasserine and within two or three days' sailing of the Hold of the Sea Princes. And, from my research, I can't find any official or fan-created information on it other than a very short blurb in The Sea Wyvern's Wake, Dungeon 141, p 29.

(I'm in the process of writing an adventure for average character levels 9th centered in Fort Blackwell and the water's thereabout. If you choose to develop that city, feel free to share some of your ideas with me and I'll incorporate what I can into the adventure. I'm mostly just talking place names, etc. as my adventure doesn't require me to actually develop much in the city itself.)

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:35 pm  

I was actually thinking Sanctigaard as well. The Keep from B1 is always good too.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:52 pm  

Nyrond is also ripe with adventure after the Wars. It is weakened, on the verge of financial collapse, and borders many other nations, all of them crawling with all sorts of foul folk and the like (remnants of the Great Kingdom and also the Bandit Lands). It also has a major river system.

-Lanthorn

p.s. don't worry about feeling 'outclassed;' everyone is welcome here, no matter if you are a novice or a master! I am surely not the latter. Besides, you have more posts than I do. Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:14 pm  
    Re: I need a large town or small city...

Womtham in Nyrond:
    *The lands are raided by both the Bone March and Adri (WGR4 p82), so the border is fluid.
    *Shipments of produce and metals down the Duntide indicate a dock district (82).
    *Post-war population is 24,000, about half the size of Gradsul.
    *Goods are scarce. Cost multipliers of 20% for regular gear to 100% for weapons (again, WGR4) will keep your players from shopping on a whim.
    *A plague swept through this part of the Flanaess (WG8 - Rel Mord).
    *It's a relatively safe home base.

I also think Courwood has a lot of potential. The b/w post-war map in FtA shows the land around it wholly controlled by the Pomarj, but published works have never indicated that the city was conquered. Being cut off from the rest of the County would leave the populace depending on isolationist Celene for most of 585CY, allowing for a mix humanoid bashing and political tension without putting 1st-level characters under siege. The Keep on the Borderlands could be a nearby "point of light" trying to survive in a pass between Courwood and the rest of the Country. Thunderstrike and Sanctigaard would be even deeper in enemy territory, making for good destinations once the PC's gain a few levels.

Other possibilities include Kalstrand, Rel Deven, Knurl, Hochoch, or any town on the Javan. Also, the Highfolk had no agreed-upon border with Iuz following the Wars. The Razing Line between Iuz and Furyondy may be too well defined and patrolled for your tastes.
    GreySage

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:25 am  

As the DWARF from Nyrond, I believe that Womtham is perfect for your game.

Incidentally, didn't they kick all of you dwarves OUT of Nyrond?

Tsk! Letting dwarves back into the kingdom, I mean, really . . . .

Just having fun with you. ;)

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:03 am  

Silly humans finally realized the mistake of not letting the finest craftspeople of the elder races stay in their lands. Smile Womtham is an excellent suggestion. Now if I can find Dungeon #89, it's rumored to have some maps of Womtham in it. Anyone know if this is true?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:08 pm  

Hey DwarffromNyrond, dont feel intimidated. Sometimes ( well.... most of the time) i'm as dumb as a box of rock's when it comes to Greyhawk. Laughing

Anyways, see if you can find any old copy's of Dungeon mag's around ( in the used section at your local gaming store or online). Not all, but sum have great town's and city's in them with background info. Plus adventures too Happy !!
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:28 pm  

What about a huge hamlet?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:14 pm  

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    Now if I can find Dungeon #89, it's rumored to have some maps of Womtham in it. Anyone know if this is true?

Womtham is the name of the town in the Map of Mystery at the end of Dungeon #89 (had to take a look).

Dartamian
    GreySage

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:30 pm  

Glad you stopped by, Dartamian.

Hope you do it more often.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:50 pm  

D'oh!!! Evil This is what I get for not doing my research before coming here. Sigh... Okay, I've decided to do the Paizo Adventure Path series and start the kids off in Gorna in the Duchy of Geoff. I'm going to use Paizo's Carrion Crown Adventure Path and add in some other goodies. There's just nothing new coming out WoG wise and with a lil nip and tuck, Pathfinder stuff is simply too meaty and juicy not to use. I really, really, really liked Womtham though.
    GreySage

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:16 pm  

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    I'm going to use Paizo's Carrion Crown Adventure Path and add in some other goodies.

The group I'm a player in has just finished the first adventure in the Carrion Crown AP, but our DM says that he is really unimpressed with the second book. He's going to make up his own adventure for us and skip that one. Just a warning. I obviously haven't read it, but he didn't like it at all.

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:25 am  

chaoticprime wrote:
    What about a huge hamlet?

Nice. Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:37 am  

I don't know that AP but I just read the summary of it and it brought Perrenland to mind for me. If you're not totally sold on Gorna I was going to suggest Traft, in Perrenland. True, it's shown as on or near Lake Quag but you could set Traft a few miles east of the lake and place a river there (Not every river in the Flanaess is shown on the maps, just the major ones) that flows northwest out of the Clatspurs. Besides the Clatspurs you've got Iggwilv to draw on for history as regards the undead, and there is the northern Vesve not too far away for the bit of the AP involving the werewolves.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:43 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

Usually around lurking. Hard to add something constructive/helpful to this esteemed group though Wink

Dartamian
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:13 pm  

Anyone have a link to an image of the city of Womtham that's the Map of Mystery in Dungeon Magazine #89? I don't have that issue and I've never seen it and am intrigued. I googled a couple of black and white line drawing images but I'm thinking that is probably just fan created.

Dukan
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:58 pm  

I vote for Nyrond, Narsel Mandred to be exact. It's at the junction of the Flessern river where it empties into the Harp, it's on the border with Ahlissa and can provide plentiful grist for adventure ideas and setting of adventures be it from the Dungeon, modules or your own creation.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 pm  

Nyrond,

It is a great place for your scenario for all the reasons mentioned above. Another reason is the fanatical monotheistic Nation of the Pale they could be pressing their way into Nyrond borders offering help to the faithful of Pholtus the one true light.

On another note everyone here has something to add alternate oerths we all have are version. Campaign Journals we have a very active one on these boards Knights of the Silver Dawn. Read it if you have some time its a very extensive thread with a lot of great imaginative ideas. Your take on Furyondy did they survive the Greyhawk Wars did Iuz take over; is Canon Hazen alive in Veluna or has this once peaceful land been ravaged with refugees from other lands; Did Turrosh Mak succeed in annexing Pomarj neighbors, and more.

I would also like to remind everyone here that feels they have nothing to add, join the chats which you will see in the features section that says Greytalk Chat Now! (with Java), you can usually find someone on there but Thursdays are the big night so come on in. I get on late around 10 pm EST but you have a bunch of people looking for new fresh ideas to start some Grey Hawk conversations. As a bonus you can chat with an author of the LGG Gary Holian.

So if anyone would like come join the chats if I see you there we can chat about Grey Hawk.

Later

Argon
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:55 am  

Dartamian wrote:
    Mystic-Scholar wrote:

Usually around lurking. Hard to add something constructive/helpful to this esteemed group though Wink

Dartamian

Bah! People here are more poached, fried, and broiled than a steamed. Even Erik Mona started off as a "letter to the editor" to some magazine or other(GROWLF!). Razz

So, feel very free to spew away about your own Greyhawk goodness. Happy

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:42 am  

Not sure if I can trust that Erik Mona guy, he seems pretty shady (I heard he's a gamer type, small hands, smells like cabbage).

Razz

I will certainly check out Womtham and maybe have a magical gate to Womtham from Gorna. Can see lots of adventuring across the continent. I want to run some stuff up in that mysterious mountain range to the far northeast too.
    GreySage

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:38 am  

DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    Not sure if I can trust that Erik Mona guy . . . I heard he . . . smells like cabbage.

Hmm. Sounds like a Hobbit . . . err, Halfling! Evil Grin

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:54 am  

Cebrion wrote:

...Even Erik Mona started off as a "letter to the editor" to some magazine or other(GROWLF!)...

-If that's a Phil & Dixie reference, I'll give you points for dry obscurity...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:53 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    DwarffromNyrond wrote:
    I'm going to use Paizo's Carrion Crown Adventure Path and add in some other goodies.

The group I'm a player in has just finished the first adventure in the Carrion Crown AP, but our DM says that he is really unimpressed with the second book. He's going to make up his own adventure for us and skip that one. Just a warning. I obviously haven't read it, but he didn't like it at all.

SirXaris

Love the first adventure in Carrion Crown. Looked at the second and was shocked at how poor it was. That's okay, I can do some linking between the first adventure, some home brewed stuff and then Hook Hill Massacre (the way ogres should be). Then onto the Giants series! Evil Grin
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: