Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk academies?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk academies?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:38 am  
    Greyhawk academies?

I'm looking for info about Greyhawk academies which are relevant to PC-classes.

For martial characters Furyondy's College of War has to be the epicest of epic place. Also I read something about Keoland's School of Leadership and Tactics but I was unable to find info about that.

Niole Dra's Wizard Academy has to be one of the finest if not THE finest wizard academy on Oerth.

But what else is there?
    Mainly I'm asking this because I'm thinking what academy would consider hiring a Soulknife instructor... I was thinking about creating Keoland's Gladiatorial School run by clerics of Nazarn, but something canon would be nice.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:31 pm  

If Keoland is your bag then there are various rival duelling academies.

The Keoland Duelling Society: This society holds an unmatched degree of respect among the highest levels of Keoish society: the guild masters and syndics, dependant and independent nobles, knights, and wealthy landowners. The aristocracy in all its forms supports and maintains the noble dueling traditions. Membership in one of the four dueling schools is taken as a sign of prestige, honour and skill. Yet while these noble schools serve as a medium in which the upper strata of Keoish society may interact, they also serve a less wholesome purpose, namely the resolution of conflict among nobles and the elimination of rivals.
    The weapon of civilized men is not the clumsy great axe of the battlefield, but one that is elegant and refined. It is a weapon of skill, not strength. As such, the martial style of civilized man must display that same elegance and refinement to allow one to show the control and focus that intellect allows when called to arms.

History: Founded in blood in 325 CY, during the reign of Tavish I, the Ulmstard Academy of Fencing was born with noble intrigue at its core. Lord Beathor Ulmstard, the 13th Lord of Cryllor had been equally blessed and cursed with two sons, Alerzo (the elder) and Leoric. Blessed with sons to guarantee the continuation of his line, yet cursed with a son whose ambitions outstripped his loyalty to his brother. As Alerzo was the eldest, tradition dictated that Beathor’s title would pass to him. This left, Leoric as “unnecessary,” a condition that Leoric could not let stand. So, as Alerzo spent his years training in the skills of diplomacy and leadership, Leoric ventured into the other calling of noble sons, knighthood. While the martial training appealed to him, he found himself spending far too much time envying Alerzo’s future and cursing his own.
    Focusing on mastering his swordsmanship, Leoric used his father’s wealth and influence to arrange for the finest tutelage in swordplay from accomplished swordsmen throughout the Empire. Veteran soldiers, seasoned adventurers, guard captains, and anyone else he could learn from were hired as tutors. As time passed, Leoric assembled the various skills and lessons he learned and founded the first fencing academy of Keoland. Personally instructing the first students, the school ranks quickly swelled with young nobles, wealthy merchants and important bureaucrats. Fencing became a noble art, and unofficially, a way to resolve matters of honour, which is exactly what Leoric planned. For the many years, Alerzo lived the life of the eldest son, his position secured by order of birth, he found himself deeply embroiled in court intrigues. Often being manipulative or deceitful, as any good nobleman must be, he earned his fair share of foes.
    After a good many years, a terrible fever found Lord Beathor on his deathbed. Putting the call out for his sons to attend him, he was heartened by how quickly Leoric arrived, yet dreaded the missed presence of Alerzo. Unknown to Lord Beathor, Alerzo was called to defend his honour in a duel that very morning. A tragic accident (or a well placed blow, depending who tells the tale) prematurely ended Alerzo’s political ambitions and his life. When news of his fate reached the weakened Lord Beathor’s ears, his heart could bear no more. In his passing, Leoric inherited his father’s title and lands, and having developed quite a reputation with the upper crust of Keoish society, he found himself with all that he sought.
    Over the years, the Ulmstard Academy expanded from one school in Cryllor to schools in Niole Dra, Flen, and Gradsul. As time passed and different sword masters impressed their own opinions and preferences, the schools tended to develop their own styles and break away from their common origin. Eventually, in 402 CY, Master Illadra in Gradsul broke from the Ulmstard Academy, taking his school and its movement-based style separate. Master Argost of Niole Dra followed in 508 CY, taking his two-weapon style private. Late in 574 CY, the remaining two schools and sword masters, Masters Vernasci and Hennen (of Cryllor and Flen, respectively) had a severe disagreement, with Master Hennen taking his strength-based style, leaving the control and focus-based style of Master Vernasci to solely represent the Ulmstard Academy.

Organisation: While each of the schools teaches their art for the purpose of self-defense and sport, it is well known that a slight to the reputation of a noble can earn one an invitation to an honour duel to the death.

i) The Ulmstard Acadamy of Cryllor: The original academy was founded in 325 CY. It teaches a traditional style of combat. Master Vernasci (Sw8, Duel4, NG) is the current head of the Ulmstard Academy of Fencing. He has precious few students now, spending the majority of his time in running the Academies in Cryllor and in capital city of Niole Dra.

DM’s Notes: Applicants must have a minimum Base Attack Bonus (BAB) +1, and 1 rank in Bluff.

ii) The Illadra Acadamy of Gradsul: This academy separated from the Ulmstard Acadamy in 402 CY. It teaches a movement-based style of combat. Master Alistair (Fg4, Rog4, Duel3, CG), head of the Illadra Dueling Academy, is seen rarely by his students, and seen less by those outside the school. His appearance during the annual Lion’s Claw tournament in Niole Dra is one of the few indications that he is still running the school. Unbeknownst to the public at large, Master Alistair often uses a combination of disguises and magic to freely move unrecognized amongst his students, observing and overhearing things that may not be said or done in his presence.
    The School of Blades, in the coastal town of Seaton (see the Viscounty of Salinmoor) is a branch of Illadra Acadamy of Gradsul founded in 586 CY by Daryn Larsken (Fg6, Duel5, LG). Its instructors teach an acrobatic style that focuses on the use of light weapons and mobility.

DM’s Notes: Applicants must have a minimum Base Attack Bonus (BAB) +1, and 1 rank in Balance and are expected learn ranks in Tumble as they progress.

iii) The Argost Acadamy of Niole Dra: This academy separated from the Ulmstard Acadamy in 508 CY. It teaches a two-weapon style style of combat. Master Leuthere (Rng6, Duel4, NG) is the current head of the Argost Academy. In addition to teaching the most advanced students and running the academy, Master Leuthere still meets his obligations to the Dreadwalker Reserves, of which he’s been a member since 580 CY. As such, the Acadamy recruits a fair number of students at its school based in Linnoden (see the Barony of Axewood).

DM’s Notes: Applicants must have a minimum Base Attack Bonus (BAB) +1, and 1 rank in Jump.

iv) The Hennen Acadamy of Flen: This academy separated from the Ulmstard Acadamy in 574 CY, although it maintains schools in both Flen and Cryllor. The Academy offers a wide range of specialty weapons and all revolve around the weapon finesse tradition. Due to the number of hostile humanoids and giants of late, the Academy has leaned towards a less traditional strength-based style of combat.
    Master Hennen (Fg8, Duel4, N) is the founder and head of the Hennen Academy of Fencing. In addition to running his fledgling school, Master Hennen personally instructs many of his more promising students, regardless of their current skill.
    Remiere Sy'tin (Fg6, ExWM7, N), whose weapon of choice is the spiked chain, was sponsored by Count Ignas Manz (Fg16, LN) of Cryllor personally. It didn't take him long to gather willing students and in the last few years now holds the rank of Hennen Master Instructor and claims more students than any other instructor.

DM’s Notes: Applicants must have a minimum Base Attack Bonus (BAB) +1, and 1 rank in Jump.

Acadamy Ranks:

i) Swordsmen: These students practice and study under a master; students usually need to find somebody to teach them or join a school. Usually, this is how nobles and rich merchants learn how to fight.

ii) Swashbucklers: These senior students may fight duels with opposing schools; but not to the death nor without the Dueling Masters’ permission.

iii) Duelists: Graduates of the acadamies have reached the peak of performance. They may challenge or duel legally in Keoland. They may not duel ‘unworthy’ opponents, but can fight to defend themselves as necessary.

DM’s Notes: Minimum Base Attack Bonus (BAB) +1, and 1 rank in Jump.

Duelling Rules: The rules for Dueling are stringent in Keoland, due to the lawful nature of Keoland society, many a person has been thrown in jail or become a Hunted criminal due to failure in etiquette in a duel. Ring bearing duelists are the only people who may fight duels for other citizens in Keoland. Nobles and Military Officers usually fight their own duels over matters of honor; some nobles will hire duelists in order to fight for them.
    Any Noble or Officer participating in Duel and not using proper dueling etiquette will be forfeit their title, lands and pay for damages caused. (DC 20 Sense Motive check will need to be made each round in a dueling match to ensure they meet proper etiquette during the match).

1) First Blood: A duelist isn’t considered “Blooded” until they have taken enough damage to reduce them below their first level hit points. (i.e. a 4th level fighter with a 14 Con having 36 hit points, can take 24 points of damage, if he takes one more point, he is considered “blooded”)

2) First Disarm: The first duelist to lose their weapon within 3 rounds loses the duel.

3) First Yield: The first to yield loses the duel (yielding is not always spoken, but a simple gesture with a sword, this is to save some semblance of respect, demanding a person to yield who has already done so, will reap negative consequences).

4) First to Fall or First out of the Ring: The first person who is struck down (i.e. has received so much damage that he can’t stand loses) or who is chased out of the dueling arena (of their own free will) forfeits the duel.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:11 pm  

PaulN6 wrote:
    <snip>

Where are these from, Paul?
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:28 pm  
    Re: Greyhawk academies?

Sutemi wrote:
    I'm looking for info about Greyhawk academies which are relevant to PC-classes.

For martial characters Furyondy's College of War has to be the epicest of epic place. Also I read something about Keoland's School of Leadership and Tactics but I was unable to find info about that.

Niole Dra's Wizard Academy has to be one of the finest if not THE finest wizard academy on Oerth.

But what else is there?
    Mainly I'm asking this because I'm thinking what academy would consider hiring a Soulknife instructor... I was thinking about creating Keoland's Gladiatorial School run by clerics of Nazarn, but something canon would be nice.

Well, rangers have Stalwart Pines.

There are a crapload of wizard schools, including:
    The Wizardholme of Urnst
    Greyhawk's University of Magical Arts
    There' one in Gradsul, too, but the name escapes me.

IIRC, Living Greyhawk had an affiliated war college at the University of Rel Mord.

I think there's a psionics school in GH City as well (though it may be exclusive to Maldin's campaign--but he did design the most recent map of GH city): http://melkot.com/locations/cogh/psi-school.html
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:08 am  

Robbastard wrote:
    PaulN6 wrote:
    <snip>

Where are these from, Paul?

I think they were meta-orgs from the Keoland LG group, although I might be mis-remembering - I've copied the information into a Keoland Gazeteer and I need to go back through and work on a comprehensive bibliography.

Every LG region had at least half a dozen institutions. For my own campaign I will probably go back through and downgrade some of them to be much smaller institutions as I've never been a huge fan of every nation having a large wizard school. I understand why they needed each region to have them for the LG mechanics but magic is somewhat rarer and more mysterious in my campaign. I'm happy if artificers tend to dwarven so you'd better petition a dwarfhome with a master artificer if you want to learn that trade unless you want to travel to Rel Deven to learn the skills instead.

There was a cool article on the main magical societies of the Flanaess years ago and I'd probably place my main focus on those and make all the others inferior.

Gradsul has a small branch of the National Acadamy of Wizardry but also has a guild of independent wizards too... strange that I can't recall what they were called either... Wink You also have the Silent Ones of Keoland near Niole Dra. I was rather unhappy at their conversion to a guild of sorcerers, since their remit seems so well suited to a group that pores over ancient texts, conducting divinations, which suggests wizardly research to me. Giving sorcerers any kind of formal training college seems counter-intuitive to me.

On the other hand, Kermin Mindbender who has an innate ability to mindblast people spends his time scouring the lands of Iuz looking for those with an innate gift, screams sorcerer at me (possibly multiclassed as a psionic) even though it seems he has been consistently portrayed as a wizard.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: