ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Jungle Elves
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Jungle Elves
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:30 am  
    Jungle Elves

Hello everyone.

My campaign seems to be moving towards the Hepmonloand for an African jungle adventure. One of my players is an elf with lots of cultural knowledge about the elves of Flanaess and he will want to immerse himself in the local elven tribes. Are there any known elven variants that may be referred to as Jungle Elves - transposed Sylvan/Wood Elves? If so, could you please point me to a resource.

For that matter are there any other demi-human jungle equivalents? Pygmy halflings, cannablistic gnomes, or volcano dwarves? Yes, all very stereotypical, but you get the idea.

Thank you in advance.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:43 am  

The 3e Nyambe setting had an elf-related race called the Wakyambi. Basically, they're druidic, vegetarian, tree-dwelling, jungle elves with long prehensile tails. From what I understand they're loosely based on Bantu mythology.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:10 pm  

I'm no expert, but aren't there some kind of jungle dwarves in the Forgotten Realms? You could use those. Personally, I'd focus on non-traditional races (bullywugs, dakon, mongrelmen, yuan-ti, etc.), rather than transplanting familiar demi-human races to Hepmonaland.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:01 pm  

The Wild Dwarves of Faerun do live in the jungles in hunting bands. Skech, I didn't notice you had asked about jungle equivalents of other races, but Nyambe covers those also. Although I like your volcano dwarves and cannibal gnomes ideas. Personally, I'm with DMPrata, but run with what you want. Oerth is a big world.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:32 pm  

In Dragonlance, they have been called the Kagonesti. (If you've ever read DL novels with them, you know they could easily fit into a jungle.)

... they are also called Wild Elves.

... In GH, I would use Grugach.

BTW ... the Wakyambi are like arboreal, fuzzy, tailed, monkey-ish Elf-like humanoids. (Smillian's description wasn't off.) Personally, I've used adapted Nyambe material in my Hepmonaland sessions. I don't want to re-write a whole continent, or make up that much stuff ... but it is *easily* adaptable for Hepmonaland.
    It's really great stuff ... and includes a lot of what the guys are saying here. Non-standard races to make it seem more interesting, not transplanting specific sub-races, variant "elves", many different human cultures that can be used to flesh out the Hepmonaland history that's already written ... it's well organized, pretty well illustrated, lots of setting-specific culture ...

I encourage you to take a look at Nyambe. It may well fit your needs. If your interested in it, and can't find what you'd like to know in wikis and such, I actually own the books, so I'd be happy to help you out with any Nyambe questions you might have.

There's even a group of little (pygmy?) people. Wink
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:18 am  

Thank you every one for your great suggestions.

I manage to find a complete bundle of the Nyambe products on line fairly cheap with a few related magazine articles thrown in to boot.

Good call. My group will appreciate this (or maybe not...) I'm sure.
    Evil Grin
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:01 pm  

Don't the drow of Eberron live in jungles.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: