Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Spells to protect spellbooks?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    Spells to protect spellbooks?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:51 pm  
    Spells to protect spellbooks?

Is anyone familiar with spells from any edition, from any known source, that are designed to render spellbooks (or any other items) more resistant to harm (bonuses to saves, immune to a certain amount of damage, etc.)?

Don
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:53 pm  

I think that Complete Arcane (3.5) had several pages devoted to building spellbooks, including some enhancements for them. Either that or Complete Mage. One of the two, at least.

Master Arminas
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:14 pm  

masterarminas wrote:
    I think that Complete Arcane (3.5) had several pages devoted to building spellbooks, including some enhancements for them. Either that or Complete Mage. One of the two, at least.

Master Arminas

Yes, I see that the Complete Arcane has a section on creating energy resistant spell books, but it deals with them like special magic items that may be created. I'm more looking for spells that might grant a pre-existing book a temporary advantage, like stoneskin or protection from fire for books instead of a magic user.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:00 pm  

I don't know of any Iron Golem, but I am hardly an exhaustive source. Sorry.

Except . . . that you should be able to do it with a wish or perhaps even a limited wish. Both should be able to handle changing a spell like Resist Energy or Protection from Energy from a creature to an object.

MA
    GreySage

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:29 am  

Actually, inventing new spells via research in a laboratory is a key trope for any arcane spell caster in D&D. It shouldn't be too difficult for any PC spell caster to work with his or her DM to come up with spells exactly like what you are describing. Basing them on existing spells with only minor changes makes the job of balancing them much easier. Smile

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:58 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    Actually, inventing new spells via research in a laboratory is a key trope for any arcane spell caster in D&D. It shouldn't be too difficult for any PC spell caster to work with his or her DM to come up with spells exactly like what you are describing. Basing them on existing spells with only minor changes makes the job of balancing them much easier. Smile

SirXaris

Yep. That's kinda what I was expecting. I just wanted to see if there was a decent probability of the character finding something already in the wizard guild's library, or if it was rare and unusual enough to require him to research it himself.
    GreySage

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:35 pm  

IronGolem wrote:

Yep. That's kinda what I was expecting. I just wanted to see if there was a decent probability of the character finding something already in the wizard guild's library, or if it was rare and unusual enough to require him to research it himself.

If you want to be more realistic, you could explain to your player that such spells should really be quite common, so, out-of-character, you and your player could come up with the specifics of those types of spells and then have the PC just have to purchase them or otherwise acquire them as he would normally acquire new spells.

You could save the research requirements for truly unique spells that most other wizards either wouldn't think of or would have no use for (like a spell that produces nothing but cheese and wine for two).

SirXaris
    GreySage

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:18 pm  

Hello,

Certain priest (protective) spells could be used to this effect, but only for short durations.

In the Player's Option: Spells & Magic book, there is a 5th lvl mage spell called Proofing versus Combustion that can be used to make a spellbook nearly invulnerable to inflammation. Also realize that many spellbooks are made out of uncommon materials, such as dragonhide, that could grant certain bonuses to acid, flame, and cold based attacks, depending on the type of material used to fashion the book.

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:09 pm  
    Re: Spells to protect spellbooks?

IronGolem wrote:
    Is anyone familiar with spells from any edition, from any known source, that are designed to render spellbooks (or any other items) more resistant to harm (bonuses to saves, immune to a certain amount of damage, etc.)?
    Don

I think the spells you're looking for are Proofing Versus Combustion (edit: oops! Lanthorn beat me to it!) and Greater Sign of Sealing, both from Player's Option: Spells and Magic. Greater Sign of Sealing gives item saving throw bonuses and damage absorption for ANY kind of attack.

Of course, most wizards would use Leomund's Secret Chest and Sequester to make sure spellbooks never get within range of a fireball in the first place.

Other spells to consider are: Copy (for data redundancy, PHBR4), Illusionary Script, Secret Page, Sepia Snake Sigil, Fire Trap, Wizard Mark, Avoidance, Bigby's Bookworm Bane, and Mending (after the fact).

For priests, a reverse of Age Object (2E ToM) should be able to restore just about anything, considering it's a fifth level spell. Protection from Fire lasts until a certain amount of damage is absorbed, but it's up to the DM if carried objects are protected or just the person.
    Paladin

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:33 pm  

Seems I recall that runes and symbols were also wards against certain things too... read it some where, will try to find it............
    thats what happens when you spend so many years lurking thru dark places, the light is bad and you forget where you read it! hehe
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: