Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A Pathfinder Assassin (Full 20 lvl class) for Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    A Pathfinder Assassin (Full 20 lvl class) for Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:54 pm  
    A Pathfinder Assassin (Full 20 lvl class) for Greyhawk

I remember AD&D 1st Edition very fondly. That was the game system that I grew up with. And I also have many memories of the assassins that our DM used against us, and that occasionally we played. Back in those days, the assassin was a full core class and it served a very good purpose within the game. Whether it was used against us whenever we crossed some powerful individual, or when an assassin adventured alongside of us, they were all memorable occasions.

With the introduction of Third Edition, this went away. Sure, we had the prestige class Assassin (and still do in Pathfinder today), but for those of us who learned to play in the old school, it has always seemed rather bland—a generic assassin that doesn’t really assassinate.

What I hope to accomplish with this class is to once again make the dedicated assassin a foe to be feared, and a valued adventuring companion. Too often, players that dream of making Sean Connery’s James Bond (or Daniel Craig’s), or the Ras’al Ghul portrayed by Liam Neeson in Batman Begins, are disappointed by the reality of the assassin prestige class. I want the experience to be as terrifying, exciting, fun, and (most of all) memorable today as when I first played the game.

Some of you may notice that this assassin is not required to be evil; simply non-good. That is deliberate. James Bond was certainly an assassin, and yet one could argue he was not evil. These films are a large part of the basis of the following class, and many of the abilities are based upon fictional representations of assassins. Only a handful of spell-like and supernatural powers are included, and all of those but one are delayed until very high level. Once again, this is deliberate to reflect that an assassin should not have to rely on spells and supernatural abilities; he should still be rather frightening without them.

I want to bring back the feared, the infamous assassin to a place worthy of its stature: the world of Greyhawk. I know those of you still playing 1st edition have your old assassins, but I don’t remember them in 2nd. If you are playing 3.0, 3.5, or Pathfinder thought, dump those Prestige Class assassins and come on home.

Hope that you enjoy it, and remember: I would welcome any feedback, suggestions, critiques, and criticisms. Happy gaming!

Master Arminas

The Pathfinder Assassin Base Class

Alignment: Any non-good.

Hit Die: d8

BAB: Medium

Good Saves: Fort and Reflex

Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex); Bluff (Cha); Climb (Str); Craft (Int); Disable Device (Int); Disguise (Cha); Diplomacy (Cha); Escape Artist (Dex); Intimidate (Cha); Knowledge (Local) (Int); Perception (Wis); Profession (Wis); Ride (Dex); Sense Motive (Wis); Sleight of Hand (Dex); Stealth (Dex); and Swim (Str).

Skill Points per Level: 6 plus Intelligence modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Assassins are proficient with all light, one-handed, and ranged simple and martial weapons, as well as the garrote and blowgun. Assassins are proficient with light armor. They are not proficient with medium or heavy armor or shields.

[b]AC Bonus (Ex)
    : When wearing light armor and carrying nor more than a light load, the assassin adds his Intelligence bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In addition, an assassin gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four assassin levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.
    These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the assassin is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears medium or heavy armor, when he uses a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.
    If the Assassin has this class feature from levels in the monk class, add his monk and assassin class levels to determine his effective level for this class feature. The character can only apply either his Wisdom bonus or his Intelligence bonus, but not both. He may choose which one applies.

Alignment Mask (Su): An assassin confounds spells such as know alignment and abilities such as detect evil. When these abilities are used against an assassin, the assassin always registers as neutral, despite his true alignment.

Assassinate (Ex): On the first round of combat, an assassin can sometimes land a blow that is particularly deadly. In order to successfully conduct such an attack the assassin must use a light weapon, a one-handed weapon, or a ranged weapon and he must be proficient in its use, and one of the following conditions must be met: (a) the target must not be aware of the assassin’s presence (either through the use of magic such as the spell invisibility or through mundane methods such as the Stealth skill) or (b) the target must not consider the assassin to be an imminent threat. For example, an assassin could use the Disguise skill to pretend to be one of several dozen homeless beggars squatting outside a castle gate.
    If either of these two conditions are met, the assassin can make a surprise attack as a standard action against his target, gaining a +1 competence bonus to hit for every two assassin levels that he possesses (minimum +1). If this attack successfully hits, the target suffers a critical hit, regardless of whether or not the assassin rolled a critical threat. If the assassin rolls, and then confirms, a critical hit, this damage multiplier is increased by a factor of 1.
    The target must be a corporeal creature that is subject to the effects of critical hits. An assassin can use a ranged weapon for this attack, but only if the target is within 60 feet. An assassin can use a sap (or blackjack) or an unarmed strike to deliver an assassinate attempt that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot deal nonlethal damage with any other weapon, not even if the assassin takes the usual -4 penalty on his attack roll.
    At 4th level, and every four assassin levels gained thereafter, the critical multiplier on a successful assassinate attack increases by 1, to a maximum increase of 5 at 20th level.

Master of Disguise (Ex): An assassin gains a +2 competence bonus on all Disguise skill checks. At 5th level, and every four assassin levels gained thereafter, the bonus on this skill checks increases by +2, to a maximum bonus of +10 at 17th level.

Unarmed Strike (Ex): At 2nd level, an assassin gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. An assassin’s unarmed attack may be made with his fists, elbows, knees, feet, or even his head. This means that an assassin may make unarmed strikes with his hands full.
    Usually an assassin’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
    An assassin deals more damage with his unarmed strikes than normal, and as he gains levels the damage from his unarmed strikes also increases. At 2nd level, an assassin deals 1d6 damage with an unarmed. This increases to 1d8 at 6th level, to 1d10 at 11th level, and to 2d6 at 16th level. This damage is for a medium sized assassin; smaller or larger characters use the damage listed in the Monk core class as appropriate for the damage value given above.

Fast Stealth (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, an assassin can move at full speed when using the Stealth skill.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 2nd level, an assassin’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit only applies when he is not wearing medium or heavy armor and is not carrying a medium or heavy load. This bonus stacks with any other bonuses to the assassin’s land speed (such as the effects of an expeditious retreat spell, a haste spell, or any other effect that increases a monk’s speed).

Blind-fight (Ex): At 3rd level, an assassin gains Blind-Fight as a bonus feat.

Poison Use (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, an assassin never risks accidentally poisoning himself when applying poison to a weapon. He also gains Skill Focus (Craft (Poison)) as a bonus feat.

Acrobatics (Ex): At 4th level, an assassin gains a +2 competence bonus on all Acrobatics and Climb skill checks. At 8th level, and every four assassin levels gained thereafter, this bonus increases by +2, to a maximum bonus of +10 at 20th level.

Improved Feint (Ex): At 5th level, an assassin gains Improved Feint as a bonus feat, even if he does not normally meet the prerequisites. If the assassin already has selected Improved Feint as a feat, he instead gains one feat of his choice, but in this case the assassin must meet all the listed prerequisites for the feat selected.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 6th level, an assassin can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He cannot be caught flat-footed, even if the attacker is invisible. He still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. An assassin with this ability can still lose his Dexterity bonus to AC if an opponent successfully uses the feint action (see combat) against him.
    If an assassin already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Evasion (Ex): At 7th level, an assassin can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the assassin is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless assassin does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Touch of Death (Ex): Starting at 8th level, an assassin gains his most feared attack—the touch of death. Once per day, when the assassin makes an assassinate attack, he may declare that he is using touch of death. If the assassinate attack is successful, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC of 10 plus ½ the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Intelligence modifier). If the target fails the save he dies immediately. If the target succeeds, then there is no additional effect (other than the normal damage inflicted by the assassinate attack, see above).
    At 12th level, and every four assassin levels gained thereafter, an assassin gains one additional daily use of this ability.

Vanish from Sight (Ex): At 9th level, an assassin can use the Stealth skill while being observed as long as the following conditions are met: (a) there must be concealment within one move action of the assassin’s current position and (b) those who are observing the assassin are distracted, even if for an instant. If both of these conditions are met, the assassin can use the Stealth skill. Many assassins carry thunderstones, flashbombs, and smoke bombs for just such a purpose. Alternatively, the assassin may use the Bluff skill in order to feint to distract any observers.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): An assassin of 10th level or higher can no longer be flanked.
    This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has assassin levels.
    If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from another class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Improved Blind-fight (Ex): At 11th level, an assassin gains Improved Blind-fight as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the normal prerequisites for this feat.

Trackless Step (Ex): At 11th level, as long as the assassin in is an urban environment he leaves no trail and cannot be tracked by non-magical means or by the use of scent.

Maneuver Training (Ex): At 12th level, the assassin adds his assassin class level to his CMB and CMD instead of his base attack bonus.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 13th level, the assassin’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex save against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless assassin does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Poison Mastery (Ex): At 14th level, an assassin becomes immune to all poisons. Any poisons that he personally crafts receive a +2 bonus to their save DC.

Bleeding Critical (Ex): At 15th level, an assassin gains Bleeding Critical as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the normal prerequisites for this feat. This feat can be used in conjunction with the assassinate ability (see above).

Mind Blank (Sp): Starting at 16th level, an assassin has a constant mind blank effect, as per the spell, on his person and his equipment.

Greater Blind-fight (Ex): At 17th level, an assassin gains Greater Blind-Fight as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the normal prerequisites for this feat.

Live to Fight Another Day (Sp): At 18th level, an assassin can use word of recall, as per the spell, as a swift action once per day.

Greater Feint (Ex): At 19th level, an assassin gains Great Feint as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the normal prerequisites for this feat.

Grandfather of Assassins (Ex): Upon reaching 20th level, an assassin has reached the peak of his abilities. The Grandfather of Assassins increases the critical multiplier on any attack that he makes by 1; this stack with his assassinate ability. If the Grandfather of Assassins is hit by an attack that would reduce him to 0 or fewer hit points, he may make a Reflex save using the attack roll as the DC to avoid damage. A successful save results in no damage to the assassin, while a failed save results in full damage. An assassin may use this ability only once per day.

Last edited by masterarminas on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:04 pm  

Live to Fight Another Day= word of recall? A bit much for a *non-magic using class*. Instead, make it a special saving throw v.s any attack that would reduce the assassin to 0 HP or less, or kill them outright, and have the option to effectively feign death perhaps. Live to Fight Another Day is more of a DM mechanism used for grand villains who continue to somehow survive the unsurvivable. I am just not fan of non-magic using classes getting access to what are very powerful magical abilities, as it makes no sense.

Also, a simple rogue backstab is better than Assassination. You might want to give the Assassin backstab, and have Assassination be an increase in critical chance when performing what counts as a backstab in melee or at close range with a ranged weapon.

Assassins should also be somewhat decent at information gathering, so as to find out info on their targets(and employers).

Assassins should also be good at tracking/pursuing their target, so tracking bonuses perhaps.

Unarmed strike also makes little sense. Just doesn't fit the class in my opinion. Special bonuses with a *signature weapon* would be more fitting, as Assassins often have signature methods of killing. I like this idea the best of any actually.

Lastly, not sure why an Assassin is an exceptional trap finder. They are exceptional killers not trap finders. It would make more sense for an Assassin to be better at Disguise(which they are equivalent to tap finding in for some reason) and at stealth, which they are really no better at than trap finding. I'd ditch trap finding bonuses and boost Disguise and Stealth.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:15 pm  

I have changed some things to reduce the power level. I overshot the mark, I think. Shocked

Cebrion, yes, but usable once per day. It is more of a 'great scott, I'm in over my head here, time to leave' ability than anything else.

And yep, rogue sneak attack is better than assassinate. In most cases. Combined with touch of death, it fits the character of the assassin better than I and my allies flank it and beat it to death, don't you think?

Changed the unarmed strike damage, but I think it fits. After all, an assassin doesn't always have weapons, does he?

Agreed, and that ability has now been removed.

Master Arminas
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:37 pm  

masterarminas wrote:
    Cebrion, yes, but usable once per day. It is more of a 'great scott, I'm in over my head here, time to leave' ability than anything else.

I know why it is there. I am just saying that it makes about as much sense for an Assassin to have this ability as it does for a Fighter/Paladin/ Ranger/most any character to have, meaning not much at all.
    masterarminas wrote:
    And yep, rogue sneak attack is better than assassinate. In most cases. Combined with touch of death, it fits the character of the assassin better than I and my allies flank it and beat it to death, don't you think?

Turning one's back on an Assassin should be just a very unhealthy thing to do. Sneak Attack combined with an increasing critical multiplier(and an increased critical chance) would work fine. I don't think such a drastically scaling bonus to hit is necessary though, considering all of the benefits an Assassin will already have due to the circumstances required to make this attack in the first place, and that multiple attacks/two weapon attacks will also be able to gain the benefits of this effect at higher levels. Perhaps a +1 bonus to hit per 4 levels. The Sneak Attack bonus damage is important though, as then an Assassin can kill stuff with even small, unassuming weapons, like a common dagger which represents the deadly skill of an Assassin who has the drop on somebody. Rogues shouldn't be better, or even equitable to, an Assassin so far as killing is concerned.

masterarminas wrote:
    Changed the unarmed strike damage, but I think it fits. After all, an assassin doesn't always have weapons, does he?

Neither does any member of any other class, and yet they don't all have similar ability. If the Assassin is a hack, no, he won't have a weapon. A Barbarian doesn't always have weapons, and a Barbarian is much more of a brawler than an Assassin ever should be. Any Assassin worth his salt will not engage in a protracted fist fight anyways, let alone be caught dead without the tools of his trade. If every job/adventure the Assassin goes on ends up with him a prisoner of the Slave Lords running around naked in caverns beneath Suderham, well, he's one stupid Assassin. Laughing

Also, the Rogue's Talents and Advanced Talents sections are interesting. Something you may wish to do is build a standard Assiassin class, and put in the oddball variant things, like an Unarmed Strike, in a Talents/ Advanced Talents sort of ability pool. This would allow you to build up something that could work to be unique to Assassins from all over the World of Greyhawk(i.e. be more pertinent to the campaign setting). For instance, Assassins of the guilds of the West might train in the garrote, dagger, and Unarmed Strike, so have Talents/Advanced Talents for those things, while the Assassin Guilds of Greyhawk, Dyvers, and Rel Astra have certain Talents they train their Assassins in. Likewise, Scarlet Brotherhood Assassins likely have their own special training techniques too. That will likely NOT include Unarmed Strike capability, seeing as there is a marked hierarchy/separation among Monks and Assassins of the Scarlet Brotherhood(and the Monks are on top) I doubt the Monks will be open to sharing what they know with anyone else in that society(killing any they find who are horning in on their specialty). Just an idea, but I think it is a really, really good one, if I do say so myself. Happy Instead of a fully open(and abuseable, so far as not being required to follow a set guild training format) ability pool, you might instead set up ability sets for each Assassins Guild.

I wouldn't remove the Trap Sense ability, just any bonuses to trap finding. Avoiding traps sounds Assassin-ish enough, seeing as some Assassins might specialize in killing using ingenious traps, an so have a sense for avoiding what the know about. Perhaps make it a Talent though, if you end up developing that, as it might not be seen as the most standard of Assassin abilities.

I just noticed Maneuver Training too. That is an unarmed combat specialty skill, very much a Monk-type Talent sort of thing rather than a skill every single Assassin will have as standard kit.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:43 pm  

Oh, well. It was only a starting point anyway. Your points are well taken Cebrion, and I think I have fixed most of them.

The Pathfinder Assassin Base Class, Take 2

Alignment: Any non-good.

Hit Die: d8

BAB: Medium

Good Saves: Fort and Reflex

Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex); Bluff (Cha); Climb (Str); Craft (Int); Disable Device (Int); Disguise (Cha); Diplomacy (Cha); Escape Artist (Dex); Intimidate (Cha); Knowledge (Local) (Int); Perception (Wis); Profession (Wis); Ride (Dex); Sense Motive (Wis); Sleight of Hand (Dex); Stealth (Dex); and Swim (Str).

Skill Points per Level: 6 plus Intelligence modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Assassins are proficient with all light, one-handed, and ranged simple and martial weapons, as well as the garrote and blowgun. Assassins are proficient with light armor. They are not proficient with medium or heavy armor or shields.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and carrying no more than a light load, the assassin adds his Intelligence bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In addition, an assassin gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four assassin levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.
    These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the assassin is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears medium or heavy armor, when he uses a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.
    If the Assassin has this class feature from levels in the monk class, add his monk and assassin class levels to determine his effective level for this class feature. The character can only apply either his Wisdom bonus or his Intelligence bonus, but not both. He may choose which one applies.

Alignment Mask (Su): An assassin confounds spells such as know alignment and abilities such as detect evil. When these abilities are used against an assassin, the assassin always registers as neutral, despite his true alignment.

Assassinate (Ex): On the first round of combat, an assassin can sometimes land a blow that is particularly deadly. In order to successfully conduct such an attack the assassin must use a light weapon or a ranged weapon and he must be proficient in its use, and one of the following conditions must be met: (a) the target must not be aware of the assassin’s presence (either through the use of magic such as the spell invisibility or through mundane methods such as the Stealth skill) or (b) the target must not consider the assassin to be an imminent threat. For example, an assassin could use the Disguise skill to pretend to be one of several dozen homeless beggars squatting outside a castle gate.
    If either of these two conditions are met, the assassin can make a surprise attack as a standard action against his target. If this attack successfully hits, the target suffers a critical hit, regardless of whether or not the assassin rolled a critical threat. If the assassin rolls, and then confirms, a critical hit, this damage multiplier is increased by a factor of 1.
    The target must be a corporeal creature that is subject to the effects of critical hits. An assassin can use a ranged weapon for this attack, but only if the target is within 30 feet. An assassin can use a sap (or blackjack) or an unarmed strike to deliver an assassinate attempt that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot deal nonlethal damage with any other weapon, not even if the assassin takes the usual -4 penalty on his attack roll.
    At 4th level, and every four assassin levels gained thereafter, the critical multiplier on a successful assassinate attack increases by 1, to a maximum increase of 5 at 20th level.

Master of Disguise (Ex): An assassin gains a +2 competence bonus on all Disguise skill checks. At 5th level, and every four assassin levels gained thereafter, the bonus on this skill checks increases by +2, to a maximum bonus of +10 at 17th level.

Fast Stealth (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, an assassin can move at full speed when using the Stealth skill.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 2nd level, an assassin’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit only applies when he is unarmored and carrying no more than a light load. This bonus stacks with any other bonuses to the assassin’s land speed (such as the effects of an expeditious retreat spell, a haste spell, or any other effect that increases a monk’s speed).

Blind-fight (Ex): At 3rd level, an assassin gains Blind-Fight as a bonus feat.

Poison Use (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, an assassin never risks accidentally poisoning himself when applying poison to a weapon. He also gains Skill Focus (Craft (Poison)) as a bonus feat.

Acrobatics (Ex): At 4th level, an assassin gains a +2 competence bonus on all Acrobatics and Climb skill checks. At 8th level, and every four assassin levels gained thereafter, this bonus increases by +2, to a maximum bonus of +10 at 20th level.

Improved Feint (Ex): At 5th level, an assassin gains Improved Feint as a bonus feat, even if he does not normally meet the prerequisites. If the assassin already has selected Improved Feint as a feat, he instead gains one feat of his choice, but in this case the assassin must meet all the listed prerequisites for the feat selected.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 6th level, an assassin can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He cannot be caught flat-footed, even if the attacker is invisible. He still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. An assassin with this ability can still lose his Dexterity bonus to AC if an opponent successfully uses the feint action (see combat) against him.
    If an assassin already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Evasion (Ex): At 7th level, an assassin can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the assassin is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless assassin does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Touch of Death (Ex): Starting at 8th level, an assassin gains his most feared attack—the touch of death. Once per day, when the assassin makes an assassinate attack, he may declare that he is using touch of death. If the assassinate attack is successful, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC of 10 plus ½ the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Intelligence modifier). If the target fails the save he dies immediately. If the target succeeds, then there is no additional effect (other than the normal damage inflicted by the assassinate attack, see above).
    At 12th level, and every four assassin levels gained thereafter, an assassin gains one additional daily use of this ability.

Vanish from Sight (Ex): At 9th level, an assassin can use the Stealth skill while being observed as long as the following conditions are met: (a) there must be concealment within one move action of the assassin’s current position and (b) those who are observing the assassin are distracted, even if for an instant. If both of these conditions are met, the assassin can use the Stealth skill. Many assassins carry thunderstones, flashbombs, and smoke bombs for just such a purpose. Alternatively, the assassin may use the Bluff skill in order to feint to distract any observers.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): An assassin of 10th level or higher can no longer be flanked.
    This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has assassin levels.
    If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from another class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Improved Blind-fight (Ex): At 11th level, an assassin gains Improved Blind-fight as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the normal prerequisites for this feat.

Trackless Step (Ex): At 11th level, the assassin leaves no trail and cannot be tracked by non-magical means or by the use of scent.

Trap Detection(Ex): At 12th level, an assassin adds 1/2 his assassin class level to Perception skills checks made to locate traps, but he receives no bonus on Disable Device checks to disarm traps. An assassin cannot use Disable Device to disarm magical traps.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 13th level, the assassin’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex save against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless assassin does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Poison Mastery (Ex): At 14th level, an assassin becomes immune to all poisons. Any poisons that he personally crafts receive a +2 bonus to their save DC.

Bleeding Wounds (Ex): At 15th level, an assassin deals 1d6 points of bleed damage anytime he makes a successful critical strike against an opponent or when he hits an opponent while using his assassinate ability.

Blindsense (Ex): At 16th level, an assassin gains blindsense out to a distance of 30 feet.

Nondetection (Sp): Starting at 16th level, an assassin has a constant nondetection effect, as per the spell, on his person and his equipment. This ability has an effective caster level equal to the assassin’s class level.

Greater Blind-fight (Ex): At 17th level, an assassin gains Greater Blind-Fight as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the normal prerequisites for this feat.

Feign Death (Ex): At 18th level, as an immediate action, an assassin can feign death for a number of minutes each day equal to his assassin level. While feigning death, an assassin remains aware of all that happens around him. Any cursory check on the assassins condition indicates that he is dead, although magical means of discerning life give an indeterminate result. The assassin need not use his entire alloted time in one use. He may divide his duration among multiple uses per day. The assassin may choose to act at any time while feigning death, while ends his current use of this ability.

Greater Feint (Ex): At 19th level, an assassin gains Greater Feint as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the normal prerequisites for this feat.

Grandfather of Assassins (Ex): Upon reaching 20th level, an assassin has reached the peak of his abilities. The Grandfather of Assassins increases the critical multiplier on any attack that he makes by 1; this stacks with his assassinate ability. If the Grandfather of Assassins is hit by an attack that would reduce him to 0 or fewer hit points, he may make a Reflex save against a DC of 10 + the damage dealt. A successful save results in half-damage to the assassin, while a failed save results in full damage. The Grandfather may use this ability only once per day.

Last edited by masterarminas on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Paladin

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:46 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Live to Fight Another Day= word of recall? A bit much for a *non-magic using class*. Instead, make it a special saving throw v.s any attack that would reduce the assassin to 0 HP or less, or kill them outright, and have the option to effectively feign death perhaps. Live to Fight Another Day is more of a DM mechanism used for grand villains who continue to somehow survive the unsurvivable. I am just not fan of non-magic using classes getting access to what are very powerful magical abilities, as it makes no sense.

I too am not a fan of "non-magic classes" having innate magic like abilities, I think the Alignment Mask (Su) is abit much since no other class has anything comparable.I hardly think that a 1st lvl assassin would have supernatural abilities.I think this is better served as an ability as defined like the cleric or paladin spell with a progressively less chance for save as the assassin becomes more adept at concealing his / her motives.
    If the intent is to bring life back to the "original 1e assassin, I would also consider adding the following:
    substitute the ability for the assassin to effectively mimic spell mannerisms , semantics, as a substitute for their ability to learn alignment languages (that no longer exist) this would allow them to effectively impersonate a bard, sorcery, clerical positions. Although the "spell" may not produce anything the process would be progressively believable. ie a placebo bless or enchant item etc... the "effect may be believable, but in reality.. not so much.
    Forgery could also be an innate skill. Getting progressive bonuses as lvl increases and or combining with knowledge skill could also be added. Perhaps even adding a skill that would include items if paired with craft item?
    some revamp of the "fee table"
    masterarminas wrote:
    Some of you may notice that this assassin is not required to be evil; simply non-good. That is deliberate. James Bond was certainly an assassin, and yet one could argue he was not evil. These films are a large part of the basis of the following class, and many of the abilities are based upon fictional representations of assassins.

I do agree with this approach... (would love to add the example to my revamped "alignment for newbies" list)
    masterarminas wrote:
    Grandfather of Assassins (Ex): Upon reaching 20th level, an assassin has reached the peak of his abilities.

As I recall the only way one could originally become the "grandfather" was by removing the residing one.

masterarminas wrote:

Don't know the rational to the "immunity"? I can certainly see a bonus to save or reduced damage as to familiarity with toxins.
    With the expertise on various poisons, I would lean toward creation of poisons (maybe one every three levels?) that could mimic spell like abilities, ie, sleep, feeblemind, charm perhaps? or poison gases? (seems there was an old Dragon article that discussed the use of poisons)
    Assassins not only eliminate targets, they gather information covertly, maybe even an occasional kidnapping.
    Just my two coppers.
    Did enjoy and will be incorporating many of your ideas Master Arminas .. keep em coming Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:07 pm  

Thanks, DLG. When I get a wild idea, I tend to push it to the limit, and then force myself to scale it back, so I do need some good solid criticism and critiques on some of my stuff, especially the stuff I am not really sure of.

Thanks again!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: