JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A Revised Pathfinder Monk for Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    A Revised Pathfinder Monk for Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:34 pm  
    A Revised Pathfinder Monk for Greyhawk

As with many of you, the first games I played in Greyhawk were part of campaigns using AD&D (at the time, there was no such as 1st edition). I remember those monks very fondly, both the PHB one and the revised monk seen in Dragon #53 (in the article, He's Got a Lot to Kick About).

Every edition since then has been . . . disappointing to say the least. There have been some good things, but they seem to lose what Gygax wanted in the class. So, I have put on my thinking cap and revised the latest Pathfinder monk to stay in 3.5/Pathfinder, but return to its original roots.

I hope you will take a look at what I have done, and let me know what I can do better.

Master Arminas

New update further down, for the class itself.

Last edited by masterarminas on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:06 pm  

Explanation of Changes:

BAB/Hit Dice: Nope, didn't change. In fact, my monks are a medium-BAB class pretty much across the board. What, you were expecting a super-monk that can outfight a fighter?

Skills: With so many film, book, and TV icons having words of wisdom they impart of younger protegeees, and their attempts to talk themselves out of situations before violence starts, I decided that Diplomacy would be a more appropriate skill than Intimidate.

Weapons and Armor Proficency: I have done away with all of the 'special' monk weapons. After all, a kama is just a sickle, and a staff is always a staff. This eliminates the 'foreign' feel to the monk in Greyhawk, as they use the same simple weapons as every other class (and no have no more need to scour weapon shots hunting for an enchanted shuriken, since they use darts now). It also fits the genre more, as I remember plenty of monks using fighting sticks (light maces or clubs) and spears.

Bonus Feats: I removed a few of the scratch-your-head feats and added some that seemed more appropriate to the class. Improved Sunder, Ki Stand, Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization. This helps the monk to keep up in damage and attack rolls, but isn't too terribly offputting, especially since Pathfinder has introduced other classes that can learn fighter only feats (aka, the magus).

Fast Movement: I start this at 1st level and give small increases much faster. It doesn't seem right that at 1st, the barbarian is faster and quicker than a monk, since way back when, the monk gain his increased speed with his first level.

Unarmed Strike: I changed the damage die, but the biggest change here is not allowing spells or items to add to hit and damage. That seems to me to defeat the whole purpose of the monk. Another change is Small and Large monks; both now do the same exact damage as a medium monk, considering their attacks are more based in training than in raw strength. One additonal point is that monks get their full Strength bonus on all attacks--and cannot take the TWF chain.

Stunning Fist: Didn't change it!

Flurry of Blows: And here, a lot of folks are going to sulk. Admit it . . . come on. I pushed it back to 3rd level because of two reasons: first, it makes better sense to have it acquired when a rogue could gain the TWF feat. Second, it keeps munchkins from dipping into a single level of monk just for this abilty. Now, I have completely altered the 'flurry of misses' previously seen. You get one extra attack, whether attacking on the move or with a full-attack option. This attack is at the highest attack bonus. All attacks are at -2, but this drops to -1 at 8th, and then the penalty goes away at 15th. Sure, you get fewer attacks than a 3.0 or 3.5 monk, but they are generally higher in attack bonus.

Maneuver Training: now applies to both CMB and CMD, allowing the monk to keep on par with full-BAB classes for combat maneuvers, his bread and butter.

Still Mind: still starts at +2, but now increases as the monk goes up in levels, eventually hitting +6. Also, defends against all mind-affecting spells, effects, and powers.

Ki Pool: Ok, mostly kept it the same as the Pathfinder monk, but up the ki points to level+Wisdom modifier. Added two new base abilities, for adding Wisdom to either attacks or damage with a flurry for 1 round for 1 point of ki.

Ki Strike: So long as the monk has at least 1 point remaining in his ki pool, his unarmed attacks gain a bonus on attack and damage rolls. This starts at +1 and goes up to +5. Plus, they can penetrate cold iron and silver at +3, alignments at +4, and adamantine at +5. That alone fixes many of the monks problems.

Catfall: I was always so unimpressed with slow fall. Instead, we use a variant of the psionic catfall here. Sure, you can't fall as far at higher levels, but it makes more sense now. If you want to keep it within an arm's reach (5') of a wall, by all means go ahead. I'm not going to stop you!

Agility Training: replaces High Jump. Monks are about more than jumping, they are tumbling, jumping, balancing, climbing fools. This lets 'em do it a bit easier.

Speak with Animals: Hey! The original PHB monk did, so why can't mine?

Wholeness of Body: Cut the cost in half, but now heals monk level + Wisdom modifier. Still costs a standard action to use.

Time's Steady Flow: Both good and bad here. You can't be slowed, but you can't gain the benefits of haste either. So sorry.

Air Walk: You can spend a point of ki and run on air for 1 round. Perfect for those flying wizards who razz your monk all the time.

Abundant Step: Changed it to allow a monk to take one other person with him; also, unlike everyone else, a monk doesn't forfeit his remaining actions after using this.

Speak with Plants: Will probably never see use, but why not?

Quivering Palm: only added damage equal to monk's level on a successful save.

Adamantine Touch: well, we took it away in ki strike, and give it back now. For 1 minute, you gain the ability to overcome DR/adamantine or ignore hardness in objects by spending 1 point of ki. You actually get this at the same level the Pathfinder monk would get ki strike adamantine, so I think it fits.

Plane Shift: Only thing that might not fit, but the Dragon #53 monk had it, and I wanted something at every level.

Perfect Self: Big changes. Your type doesn't change anymore, and you get DR 10/-. You gain blightsight and a few constant magical effects. But as the capstone, I think it fits. Besides, how many monks in your campaign are going to make it to 20th?

And that's my thoughts on these. Let me know what YOU think.

MA
    GreySage

Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:37 pm  

Hmm... Very nice. Smile I, too, loved the Best of the Dragon revised Monk class for AD&D. It really allowed the monk (Etibonec) in our party come into his own.

The only quibble I have with your write-up is with the Speak with Animals/Plants abilities. In Hollywood, martial arts masters sometimes had these abilities, but I believe it was a cross-over into Druidism. In a fantasy world where real druids, clerics, and magicians exist, I think those abilities should be left off of a class that is supposed to be all about perfecting the mental power of the individual. No matter how hard one seeks to be mentally in tune with nature, I don't agree that they should eventually learn to communicate verbally with animals and plants in a converstational manner. rolleyes

Some possible alternative abilities could include:

Water Walking - but only during a round in which the monk travels at a certain minimum speed. You can decide what that minimum should be;

(Greater) Improved Critical - Applies to all of the monk's unarmed strikes;

Clairvoyance/Clairaudience - Associated with the monk's supra-mental powers like Plane Shifting.

Still Mind - Monk is treated as if being under the affect of a Non-Detection spell.

I'm also concerned that the bonuses to AC are a bit low. I suppose that if you allow a monk to wear Bracers of Defense, then there is no problem. And, am I correct in understanding that a monk's AC will improve based on his Dexterity bonuses and his Wisdom bonuses combined? In that case, never mind. Happy

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:45 pm  

I have always allowed monks to wear bracers, and so did my DM in 1st edition, so I guess that the AC will be just fine as is (especially since this revised monk doesn't need an Amulet of Mighty Fists anymore, allowing him to wear an Amulet of Natural Armor).

I guess it is just my memories of 1st edition is the reason I want to keep Speak with Animals. It just seems weird that at 17th level, out of nowhere, suddenly a monk can talk with any living thing. Humanoid, plant, animal, anything with a pulse! So I opened up my old PHB and sure enough, there was speak with animals. And the BoD class revision had speak with plants. It makes a nice progression into Tongues (what used to Tongue of the Sun and the Moon).

I've been thinking, though (and yes, I know that is dangerous!). I'm not sure about Time's Steady Flow. Sure, the 1st ed monk had it, but most people don't use Slow and Haste doesn't age you anymore. I think it is more a drawback than a help. I am considering replacing it with this:

Spiritual Endurance (Ex): At 8th level, a monk's training and inner reserves of ki allow him to comfortably exist in environments and conditions that would quickly sap the strength from others. He is considered to be under the influence of an endure elements spell at all times, ignoring the extremes of heat and cold. In addition, he may go for a number of days equal to one-half his monk level without eating or drinking before beginning to suffer adverse effects. He requires only four hours of sleep per night, provided that he also meditates for at least four hours as well. While meditating, a monk remains fully aware of his surroundings and may make Perception checks without penalty.

Does that fit the flavor of the monk class better?

Anyway, glad that you liked it Sir Xavis. Chatting tomorrow night?

MA
    GreySage

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:43 pm  

Yeah, that's good, too. You might include something about not suffering the effects of fatigue until later than normal in the description of Spiritual Endurance.

I do plan to be in GreyTalk Thursday night! Thanks for the reminder. Happy Though, life may get in the way, so I can't make it a promise. Neutral

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:53 pm  

I think it is good as anything else and don't feel speak with animals and plants takes away from the base class or the druid how do they get to speak all languages if they did not have a basis to draw from?

This would of made a nice article.

Later

Argon
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 am  

masterarminas wrote:
    Skills: With so many film, book, and TV icons having words of wisdom they impart of younger protegeees, and their attempts to talk themselves out of situations before violence starts, I decided that Diplomacy would be a more appropriate skill than Intimidate.

When I think about all of the movies and tv shows, it does make me laugh. As we know, martial artists are apparently not very good at Diplomacy at all, because they are called "martial arts movies" and not "he's got a really good point about how fighting accomplishes nothing" movies. Happy

And, when the fighting is finally done, the winner usually strikes some sort of Intimidating pose, and the losers run away, saying "Just you wait Chin Yang! I am going to tell me cousin on you, and then we'll see who gets it!"

I think Intimidation works better in the above case, but you right that Diplomacy should be in there too(as many red-robed agents in Greyhawk will agree). The vyper's tongue is a deadly weapon as well.

I like the Spiritual Endurance bit, and agree with Sir Xaris about mentioning Fatigue in there. The speak with animals/plants bit is kind of iffy too. "Why not?" is not much of a good reason for what is a general Monk ability. I would recommend replacing them with abilities that are more general in nature, and save those abilities for a variant monk temple that is deeply involved with nature(which would be very cool). Overall I like the rewrite, though the lessening of the number of attacks sort of goes against the whole Monk idea of attacking more than even a fighter can, just at less of a chance to hit.

Here is an idea: create a very basic list of core skills for the monk class, and then crate 6 schools(2 for each lawful alignment) which add the final details to the core class features. For instance, one Lawful Good school could be a pacifist school, so would have Diplomacy over Intimidate, perhaps do subdual damage instead of killing damage, have bonuses to disarm/restrain opponents, replace quivering palm with something else, etc. This would sort of be like building variant Prestige Classes directly into the base class. Just a thought.

Air walk is a bit much too, considering a Monk's base speed times x 4 for Running. I would turn it into a massive Jump bonus instead(the archetypal super-leap).

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:21 am  

Ok, I have incorporated a number of your suggestions, and here is Take 2. I dumped the invisiblity, and instead used the spiritual endurance as shown above. Also got rid of air walk and plane shift--they don't really fit. I believe that what I replaced them with fits the concept of the monk a little better, even if it means he can't sorta fly. Ha! Moved flurry to 3rd level, so it is not so advantageous to take a 1-level dip into monk, and replaced Intimidate with Diplomacy. (Of course, Cebrion you are correct. In nearly every martial arts film I have ever seen, I don't think the hero has put a single rank into either skill, since they can't seem to talk or frighten people out of fighting them!)

I did keep the Speak with Animals/Speak with Plants/Tongues, simply because it is such a weak power that I didn't want to replace it something any stronger. And frankly, in most games, even a feat would have been stronger. I understand why some don't feel like it fits, but I do like the monk having that ability, even if 90% of players will never, ever use it.

I also removed the heavy mace and morning star from the list of monk weapon proficiencies. Both of these weapons are pretty heavy and it is hard to imagine a monk wielding them with finesse. They just don't fit, so I dropped them. That also means it keeps with canon, where the monk doesn't get ALL simple weapons (and is the only class other than wizard where that is true).

I know it is a long post, and it was suggested that I just summarize the changes. But I like to read the changes in context to the whole of the class, and perhaps you do as well. But that is why I posting the whole thing again for version 2.0.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and advice, and feel free to critique this revised version as well. I would love to know what you think, what I need to cut, add, whatever. And above all, enjoy.

Master Arminas

Last edited by masterarminas on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:34 pm  

Revised Pathfinder Monk, The Final Cut

For the truly exemplary, martial skill transcends the battlefield—it is a lifestyle, a doctrine, a state of mind. These warrior-artists search out methods of battle beyond swords and shields, finding within themselves weapons that are just as capable of crippling or killing as any blade. These monks (so called since they adhere to strict martial disciplines and ancient philosophies passed down through the generations since the mythical War between Law and Chaos) elevate their bodies to become weapons of war. Monks tread the path of discipline and self-enlightenment, and those with the will to endure that path discover within themselves not what they are, but what they are meant to be.

Role: This version of the monk class is, first and foremost, a skirmisher. Sharing the same BAB as the cleric and rogue, a monk character relies upon his incredible feats of agility and combat movement to handily cross the battlefield to where he is most needed. He can set up flanks for the rogue with ease, rush to a dying comrade and (in the same round) dimension door the unlucky hero to the cleric for healing. But he is no slouch in the combat arena. Although no match for a dedicated fighter in terms of his attack bonus, he is able (under the right conditions) to get as many as five attacks at his highest base attack. He can even make the same of number of attacks (under ideal circumstances, once again) while moving. And when those attacks do connect, the monk can inflict some hefty damage, especially against foes that aligned with chaos.
    But the monk can do still more, for he has a good selection of skills at his disposal, and his high Wisdom score allows him to serve as the party’s eyes and ears. Combined with Stealth, the monk makes for an excellent scout that can probe ahead of the party in the dark places of the world. His endurance and ability to sustain hardship is legendary, rivaled only by the toughest of barbarians and most skilled of rangers. The varied selection of skills and talents that the monk has at his disposal make a valued member of any adventuring party.

Alignment: Any lawful.

Hit Die: d8.

BAB: Medium

Good Saves: Fort; Reflex; and Will

Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex); Climb (Str); Craft (Int); Diplomacy (Cha); Escape Artist (Dex); Knowledge (History) (Int); Knowledge (Religion) (Int); Perception (Wis); Perform (Cha); Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex); Sense Motive (Wis); Stealth (Dex); and Swim (Str).

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: A monk is proficient with all simple weapons, with the exception of the morning star and heavy mace. Monks are not proficient with any armor or shields. When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a monk loses his AC bonus, as well as his fast movement and flurry of blows abilities.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four monk levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.
    These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he uses a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, 2nd level, and every 4 levels gained as a monk thereafter, a monk may select a bonus feat. These feats must be taken from the following list: Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Grapple, Improved Sunder, and Weapon Focus.
    At 6th level, the following feats are added to the list: Improved Bull Rush, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Ki Stand, Mobility, and Weapon Specialization.
    At 10th level, the following feats are added to the list: Great Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, Medusa’s Wrath, Snatch Arrows, and Spring Attack. A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Fast Movement (Ex/Su): A monk’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit only applies when he is wearing no armor and is not carrying a medium or heavy load. This bonus stacks with any other bonuses to the monk’s land speed (such as the effects of an expeditious retreat spell, a haste spell, or any other effect that increases a monk’s speed). This ability is extraordinary.
    At 4th level, when a monk gains access to his ki pool (see below), the character can achieve literally superhuman bursts of speed for limited periods of time. As a free action, a monk can spend 1 point of ki to increase his speed by +20 feet. This speed increase lasts for 1 round per monk class level and is a supernatural ability. At 6th level, and again every two levels gained thereafter, the monk's speed when using this ability increases by an additional +5 feet, to a maximum increase of +60 feet at 20th level.
    The bonus speed granted to a monk through the use of this ability is a supernatural ability and is not considered to be an enhancement bonus. Therefore, spells (such as haste and expeditious retreat) and items (such as boots of striding and springing) that do provide an enhancement bonus to movement stack with this ability.

Unarmed Strike (Ex): At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s unarmed attack may be made with his fists, elbows, knees, feet, or even his head. This means that a monk may make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes.
    Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
    A monk deals more damage with his unarmed strikes than normal; from 1st-3rd level the damage is 1d6. This increases to 2d4 at 4th level. At 8th level, and every 4 monk levels gained thereafter, the damage increases by an additional 1d4, to a maximum of 6d4 at 20th level. The unarmed damage is for all monks, regardless of size. The techniques a monk learns do not alter the base damage of the class due to being either smaller or larger, although both Strength bonuses and penalties apply as normal.
    A monk’s unarmed strike cannot be enhanced by any form of magical augmentation, such as magic weapon, greater magic fang, or by other means (but see ki strike, below).

Stunning Fist (Ex): At 1st level, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does meet the prerequisites. At 4th level, and every 4 levels gained as a monk thereafter, the monk gains the ability to apply a new condition to the target of his Stunning Fist. This condition replaces stunning the target for 1 round, and a successful saving throw still negates the effect.
    At 4th level, he can choose to make the target fatigued. At 8th level, he can make the target sickened for 1 minute. At 12th level, he can make the target staggered for 1d6+1 rounds. At 16th level, he can permanently blind or deafen the target. At 20th level, he can paralyze the target for 1d6+1 rounds. The monk must choose which condition will apply before the attack roll is made. These effects do not stack with themselves (a creature sickened by Stunning Fist cannot become nauseated if hit by Stunning Fist again), but additional hits do increase the duration.
    A monk gains one use of this feat for every monk level he possesses, as described in the Stunning Fist feat.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher, a monk can avoid damage from many area-effect attacks. If a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing no armor and is not carrying a medium or heavy load. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Flurry of Blows (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains the ability to make a flurry of blows. When using unarmed strikes, simple melee weapons with which he is proficient, or darts a monk can make a flurry of blows attack. Flurry of blows can be added to either a standard attack or a full-attack; in either case, flurry of blows is not an action itself. When using this ability a monk may make one additional attack using any combination of unarmed strikes or weapons at his highest base attack bonus. However, this attack, as well as all others made by the monk in that round, suffers a penalty of -2 to hit.
    At 8th level, the penalty on his attacks decreases to -1. At 13th level, the monk no longer suffers a penalty on attacks.
    A monk applies his full Strength bonus to his damage rolls for all successful attacks made with a flurry of blows, whether the attacks are made with an off-hand or with a weapon wielded in both hands. A monk may freely substitute disarm, sunder, and trip combat maneuvers for unarmed attacks as part of a flurry of blows. A monk with natural weapons cannot use such weapons as part of a flurry of blows, nor can he make natural attacks in addition to his flurry of blows attacks.

Maneuver Training (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk uses his monk level in place of his base attack bonus when calculating his Combat Maneuver Bonus and his Combat Maneuver Defense. Base attack bonuses granted from other classes are unaffected and are added normally.

Still Mind (Ex): A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells and effects. This bonus increases to +4 at 10th level and to +6 at 17th level.

Ki Pool (Su): At 4th level, a monk begins to slowly access his internal ki, a supernatural energy that he can use to accomplish amazing feats. The monk gains a pool of ki points, equal to his monk level + his Wisdom modifier. By spending 1 point from his ki pool as a swift, a monk can invoke any one of the following options: he can gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round; he can increase his speed by 20 feet for 1 round, he can gain one additional attack at his highest base attack bonus when making a flurry of blows attack; he can gain a +4 insight bonus to his attacks for 1 round; or he can gain a +4 insight bonus to his damage for 1 round.
    A monk gains additional powers that consume points from his ki pool as he latter gains levels. The ki pool is replenished each morning after 8 hours of rest or meditation; these hours do not need to be consecutive.

Ki Strike (Su): At 4th level, a monk can focus his ki into his unarmed strikes, making them the equivalent of enchanted weapons. When first gained, the monk gains a +1 enhancement bonus to hit and damage. At 8th level, and every 4 levels gained thereafter as a monk, this bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level. This enhancement bonus overcomes damage reduction just as normal magic weapons do. If the monk’s ki pool (see above) is ever exhausted (reaches 0), he loses the benefit of ki strike until his ki pool replenishes.

Catfall (Su): At 4th level or higher, a monk can fall incredible distances without suffering damage. When falling, a monk always lands on his feet. In addition, he reduces the damage inflicted from a fall by 1d6 per monk level he possesses, to a maximum reduction of 20d6 at 20th level. Unlike magical spells (such as feather fall) with similar effects, a monk is not slowed during his descent, making this ability a favored method for higher level monks to rapidly descend great distances quickly.

Agility Training (Ex): At 5th level, a monk adds his level to all Acrobatics and Climb skill checks. In addition, he always counts as having a running start when making jump checks using Acrobatics. By spending 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action, a monk can gain an additional +20 bonus on Acrobatics checks made to jump for 1 round.

Purity of Body (Ex): At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases (such as lycanthropy and mummy rot).

Servant of Order (Su): At 6th level, a monk deals an additional 1d6 points of damage with his unarmed strikes against chaotic-aligned creatures. This additional damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.

Speak with Animals (Ex): At 6th level, a monk can converse with any creature of the animal type, as per the spell speak with animals. Such conversations are limited by the animal’s intelligence (or lack thereof).

Wholeness of Body (Su): At 7th level or higher, a monk can heal his own wounds as a standard action. He can expend 1 point from his ki pool to heal a number of hit points of damage equal to his monk level + his Wisdom bonus (if any).

Spiritual Endurance (Ex): At 8th level, a monk's training and inner reserves of ki allow him to comfortably exist in environments and conditions that would quickly sap the strength from others. He is considered to be under the influence of an endure elements spell at all times, ignoring the extremes of heat and cold. In addition, he may go for a number of days equal to one-half his monk level without eating or drinking before beginning to suffer adverse effects. He requires only four hours of sleep per night, provided that he also meditates for at least four hours as well. While meditating, a monk remains fully aware of his surroundings and may make Perception checks without penalty.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a monk’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Duty Never Tires (Ex): At 10th level, a monk gains Endurance as a bonus feat. Furthermore, by spending 1 ki point as a swift action, he can ignore the effects of fatigue for 10 minutes per monk level.

Touch of Law (Su): At 10th level, a monk’s unarmed strikes are treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Diamond Body (Ex): At 11th level, a monk gains immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Abundant Step (Su): At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door. Using this ability is a move action that consumes 2 points from his ki pool. His caster level for this effect is equal to his monk level. Unlike the normal use of dimension door, the monk may take any remaining actions in a round after using this ability. He may take up to one willing creature with him when he uses this ability.

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 13th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to his current monk level +10. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk’s spell resistance.

Champion of Order (Su): At 14th level, a monk deals an additional 1d6 points of damage with his unarmed strikes against chaotic-aligned creatures. This stacks with the bonus damage granted by the servant of order ability, for a total of +2d6 bonus damage. This additional damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.

Speak with Plants (Ex): At 14th level, a monk can converse with any creature of the plant type, as per the spell speak with plants. Such conversations are limited by the plant’s intelligence (or lack thereof).

Quivering Palm (Su): Starting at 15th level, a monk can set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if the monk so desires. He can use this quivering palm attack once per day, and he must announce his intent before making his attack roll. Creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected. Otherwise, if the monk strikes successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds. Thereafter, the monk can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is made within a number of days equal to his monk level. To make such an attempt, the monk merely wills the target to die (a free action), and unless the target makes a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ the monk’s level + the monk’s Wisdom modifier) it dies. If the saving throw is successful, the target instead suffers 1d4 points of damage per monk level and the quivering palm attack ends; the target may still die if he suffers enough damage from this attack to reduce him to negative hit points equal to his Constitution score. A monk can have no more than one quivering palm in effect at one time. If a monk uses quivering palm while another is still in effect, the previous effect is negated. This ability is a death effect.

Adamantine Touch (Su): At 16th level, a monk can spend 1 point from his ki pool to treat his unarmed strikes as adamantine weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction and bypassing hardness for 1 minute.

Timeless Body (Ex): At 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to his ability scores to his physical ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. The initial roll made by the DM for the character’s maximum age (according to race) is discarded, and a new maximum age calculated. The random dice are maximized. For example, a human monk who reaches 17th level will live to a ripe old age of 110 years, while an elf monk could see 750 years. Age bonuses to the monk’s mental ability scores still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when his time is up. This ability is not the same as immortality, and the monk can always die before his time due to violence.

Tongues (Ex): At 17th level, a monk can converse with any creature, as per the spell tongues. To communicate, a creature must be within 30 feet of the monk and both the monk and creature must have line-of-sight to each other.

Stalwart Soul (Ex): At 18th level, a monk no longer suffers any penalties for being fatigued (he still remains fatigued, however, for purposes of exhaustion). If the monk becomes exhausted, he may spend 2 ki points as a swift action to ignore the effects of exhaustion for 1 minute per monk level.

Empty Body (Su): At 19th level, a monk gains the ability to assume an ethereal state for 1 minute as though using the spell etherealness. Using this ability is a move action that consumes 3 points from his ki pool. This ability only affects the monk and cannot be used to make other creatures ethereal.

Perfect Self: At 20th level, a monk transcends his mortal limitations. He gains damage reduction 10/-, which allows him to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack. He gains blindsight in a 60-foot radius. He gains a +10 bonus on saves versus mind-affecting spells, spell-like abilities, and other effects (this replaces and does not stack with the still mind ability), as well as being the recipient of constant nondetection and undetectable alignment effects (as per the spells). Whenever a monk who has attained perfect self confirms a critical strike with an unarmed attack against a chaotic-aligned creature, he deals an additional 3d10 points of damage. The few monks who reach this level of achievement often retire from adventuring to explore what they are becoming. Only those with the strongest of ties to their companions and their homelands remain, but even these will eventually simply vanish one night, never to return.

Ex-Monks: A monk who becomes nonlawful cannot gain new levels as a monk but retains all monk abilities.

Last edited by masterarminas on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:49 pm  

Have you read the Ultimate Combat manual? It has a large share of oriental weapons and martial arts feats (as it was released right before their "oriental adventures" adventure path).

What I am not exactly sure though, is the more flavorful aspect of this class, where are martial arts supposed to originate from? IN my campaign I made them a strictly Baklunish combat form, expecially taught in Baklunese temples of istus and zodal, but among fishermen and common folk of the baklunish basin as well. The Baklunish west always seemed more "spiritual" to me than the Aerty east, so I did a mix of China/Japan/Korea etc. and Arabian lands.
    Did someone develop an idea of other cultures developing their own styles? Of course we have ancient Suel fighting arts (by the way, how would they develop in the barbarian North? Is it possible they were completely forgotten?)?
    Of course we also have the distant dragon empires beyond the Hellfurnaces as well!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:32 pm  

See, that is one thing I wanted to stay away from--that it must be Oriental feel. And no, I haven't read Ultimate Combat (if it is like Ultimate Magic, I think I will flinch).

I see monastic orders as being the common people's way of defending themselves from the many, many threats of the Flaness, MToscan. Magic weapons and magic armor are expensive, being a knight means you are subject to being called away, the same with a powerful cleric. Druids are often in the woods, and while thieves and assassins could well serve, no one really wants a powerful guild in their back yard. Wizards are a problem all of their own, because every powerful wizard always seems to attract trouble like moths to a flame. A monastic order, on the other hand, it is just there. And while the monks within might not be overlly powerful, they can serve to protect the common folk while the Overking invades Nyrond again!

In short, I don't see any problem in Oeridarian folk being monks, or their religions having monastic orders: we even have orders of monks serving Heironious and Hextor in canon!

Master Arminas
    GreySage

Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:41 pm  

I like that attitude, masterarminas. Some monkish orders can aspire to extreme power and divinity through the pursuit of ultimate perfection, such as those dedicated to Zuoken and Xan Yae, but other deities could sponsor monastaries of lesser devotees that pursue the monk class as a part-time profession. They could be farmers, ranchers, cobblers, and chandlers in their ordinary lives, but spend a month of basic training, then one weekend a month in training so that they have some basic defensive skills in case the local military is overrun. Happy

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:08 pm  

Puts a whole new spin on weekend warrior, doesn't it? I could just picture a village of a hundred or so adults, where seventy or eighty of them have a single level of monk in addition to their commoner, expert, warrior, what-have-you, while a cadre of three-five higher level monks (ranging from 3rd-7th level) stay in the monastary and conduct weekend training excercises.

Talk about walking into a meat-grinder if you are a bandit!

Master Arminas
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:23 pm  

All right then! I have posted the final revision of the Monk for Pathfinder a couple of posts up. This corrects some minor flaws and cleans things up a little bit, and also adds a bit of flavor to the class.

Since so many people have a problem with Speak with Animals/Speak with Plants, at the level a monk gains these abilities I also added a new ability: Servant of Order/Champion of Order. This allows a monk to deal an additonal 1d6 damage with his unarmed strike to a target that has a chaotic alignment (+2d6 total when he gets both of them), similar to an Axiomatic weapon.

Second major change is in the fast movement. I got into a discussion about monks over on Pathfinder, and the idea that a monk can outrun the Pony Express is, well . . . it is pretty insane. So, I modified that ability. The monk is still just as fast a barbarian, and can spend ki from his ki pool to boost his speed for the duration of combat. He can thus still move quickly in combat (incredible speeds in combat, actually) but is not faster than other characters out of combat. As an added bonus, it makes putting skill points in Ride (a monk class skill) actually worthwhile now!

The third change revolves around catfall and falling. Instead of giving a specific distance a monk can fall, he reduces his total falling damage (which caps at 20d6, remember) by 1d6 per monk level. Now it doesn't matter is your Grandmaster of Flowers falls 200 feet or 2,000 feet or 20,000 feet, he suffers the same exact damage--in his case, nothing.

Anyway, unless ya'll see a glaring error in the post, this is the final update and revision. Hope you guys get some good use of it.

Master Arminas
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:46 pm  

Welcome to the boards arigatou.

Please introduce yourself in the Welcome to Greyhawk forum. P.S. that link is for ink don't see its relevance to this thread maybe you can enlighten us.

Later

Argon
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 pm  

That was a spammer, who has been cast into the sphere of annihilation.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 pm  

Ceb,

I realized that and sent an email to feedback after posting in the thread. Hence the slightly snarky comment.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:32 pm  

I had a few suggestions on how to make this class better and simpler. Some of them I have take and gone ahead in corporated. I am calling this one 'A Monk for All Editions', because it owns its heritage of 1st edition AD&D, the Best of Dragon Monk, 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder. Hope you enjoy it.

MA

A Monk for All Editions

For the truly exemplary, martial skill transcends the battlefield: it is a lifestyle, a doctrine, a state of mind. These warrior-artists search out methods of battle beyond swords and shields, finding within themselves weapons that are just as capable of crippling or killing as any blade. These monks (so called since they adhere to strict martial disciplines and ancient philosophies passed down through the generations since the mythical War between Law and Chaos) elevate their bodies to become weapons of war. Monks tread the path of discipline and self-enlightenment, and those with the will to endure that path discover within themselves not what they are, but what they are meant to be.

Role: This version of the monk class is, first and foremost, a skirmisher, a scout, a light fighter who relies on his innate abilities and ki to achieve literally inhuman results. He eschews clumsy armor and random weapons to instead achieve greatness through his own inner will and strength. His endurance and ability to sustain hardship is legendary, rivaled only by the toughest of barbarians and most skilled of rangers. His combat ability with attacks, damage, and maneuvers comes close to equaling more marital classes, yet he is more than merely a fighter. Wise beyond his years, the monk’s senses are keenly honed and he possesses an extensive array of techniques that permit him to accomplish acts that normally can be done only by a practitioner of magic. The varied selection of skills and talents that the monk has at his disposal make a valued member of any adventuring party.

Alignment: Any lawful.

Hit Die: d8.

BAB: Medium

Good Saves: Fort; Reflex; and Will

Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex); Climb (Str); Craft (Int); Escape Artist (Dex); Perception (Wis); Perform (Cha); Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex); Sense Motive (Wis); Stealth (Dex); and Swim (Str). See monastic skill training (below) for additional class skills.

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Monks are proficient with the club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shortspear, short sword, shuriken, siangham, sling, and spear. Monks are not proficient with any armor or shields. When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a monk loses his AC bonus from intuitive defense, as well as his fast movement and flurry of blows abilities (see below).

Intuitive Defense (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four monk levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.
    These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he uses a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, 2nd level, and every 4 levels gained as a monk thereafter, a monk may select a bonus feat. These feats must be taken from the following list: Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Grapple, Improved Sunder, and Weapon Focus.
    At 6th level, the following feats are added to the list: Improved Blind-Fight, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Ki Stand, Mobility, and The Waves and Wind (see new feats, below, for details).
    At 10th level, the following feats are added to the list: Combat Expertise, Greater Blind-Fight, Improved Critical, Medusa’s Wrath, Snatch Arrows, and Spring Attack.
    At 14th level, the following feats are added to the lists: Greater Bull Rush, Greater Disarm, Greater Grapple, Greater Sunder, and Greater Trip.
    A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Fast Movement (Ex/Su): A monk’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit only applies when he is wearing no armor and is not carrying a medium or heavy load. This ability is extraordinary.
    At 4th level, when a monk gains access to his ki pool (see below), the character can achieve literally superhuman bursts of speed for limited periods of time. As a free action, a monk can spend 1 point of ki to increase his speed by +20 feet. This speed increase lasts for 1 round per monk class level. At 8th level, and again every four levels gained thereafter, the monk's speed when using this ability increases by an additional +10 feet, to a maximum increase of +60 feet at 20th level.
    The bonus speed granted to a monk through spending a ki point is a supernatural ability and does not stack with other effects, spells, and abilities that provide an enhancement bonus to the monk’s speed.

Monastic Skill Training: Different monasteries emphasize different skill sets for the monks that they train. At first level, a monk may choose any three of the following skills: Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Any) (Int), or Linguistics (Int). These skills become class skills for the monk. Once chosen, these selections are forever after fixed, even if the monk places no skill ranks in the specific skills selected.

Unarmed Strike (Ex): A monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s unarmed attack may be made with his fists, elbows, knees, feet, or even his head. This means that a monk may make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes.
    Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
    A monk deals more damage with his unarmed strikes than normal; from 1st-3rd level the damage is 1d6. This increases to 2d4 at 4th level. At 9th level, and every 5 monk levels gained thereafter, the damage increases by an additional 1d4, to a maximum of 5d4 at 20th level. The unarmed damage is for all monks, regardless of size. The techniques a monk learns do not alter the base damage of the class due to being either smaller or larger, although both Strength bonuses and penalties apply as normal.

Stunning Fist (Ex): The monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. At 4th level, and every 4 levels gained as a monk thereafter, the monk gains the ability to apply a new condition to the target of his Stunning Fist. This condition replaces stunning the target for 1 round, and a successful saving throw still negates the effect.
    At 4th level, he can choose to make the target fatigued. At 8th level, he can make the target sickened for 1 minute. At 12th level, he can make the target staggered for 1d6+1 rounds. At 16th level, he can permanently blind or deafen the target. At 20th level, he can paralyze the target for 1d6+1 rounds. The monk must choose which condition will apply before the attack roll is made. These effects do not stack with themselves (a creature sickened by Stunning Fist cannot become nauseated if hit by Stunning Fist again), but additional hits do increase the duration.
    A monk can select which condition to apply each time he makes a stunning fist attack, limited only by his monk level.
    A monk gains one use of this feat for every monk level he possesses, as described in the Stunning Fist feat.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher, a monk can avoid damage from many area-effect attacks. If a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing no armor and is not carrying a medium or heavy load. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Flurry of Blows (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a monk can make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action. When doing so he may make one additional attack using any combination of the following weapons: club, dagger, handaxe, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shortspear, short sword, shuriken, siangham, spear, or unarmed strike. New weapons designated with the monk special property may be added to this list at a later date. This additional attack is made at the monk's highest attack bonus.
    At 8th level, a monk gains a second bonus attack at his highest attack bonus when he uses flurry of blows.
    At 15th level, a monk gains a third bonus attack at his highest attack bonus when he uses flurry of blows.
    A monk applies his full Strength bonus to his damage rolls for all successful attacks made with a flurry of blows, whether the monk is fighting with unarmed strikes, a light weapon, a one-handed weapon, two weapons, a weapon and an unarmed strike, a double weapon, a thrown weapon, or a two-handed weapon.
    A monk may substitute disarm, sunder, and trip combat maneuvers for unarmed attacks as part of a flurry of blows.
    A monk cannot use any weapon other than an unarmed strike, a special monk weapon, or a weapon listed above as part of a flurry of blows.
    A monk cannot use two-weapon fighting (see combat) to gain additional attacks when using flurry of blows.
    A monk with natural weapons cannot use such weapons as part of a flurry of blows, nor can he make natural attacks in addition to his flurry of blows attacks.
    A monk does not suffer any penalties when using flurry of blows (such as those normally associated with two-weapon fighting), regardless of whether he wields a light weapon, a one-hand weapon, a double-weapon, or a two-hand weapon.
    A monk may wield two weapons, a double-weapon, or a two-handed weapon when using flurry of blows (provided that the weapon is a special monk weapon or one of those listed above) and may use unarmed strikes and weapons wielded in any combination during his flurry of blows attacks.

Maneuver Training (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk uses his monk level in place of his base attack bonus when calculating his Combat Maneuver Bonus and his Combat Maneuver Defense. Base attack bonuses granted from other classes are unaffected and are added normally.

Still Mind (Ex): A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects of the enchantment school. This bonus increases in value to +4 at 10th level and to +6 at 17th level.

Ki Pool (Su): At 4th level, a monk gains a pool of ki points, supernatural energy he can use to accomplish amazing feats. The number of points in a monk's ki pool is equal to his monk level + his Wisdom modifier. As long as he has at least 1 point in his ki pool, he can make a ki strike. At 4th level, ki strike allows his unarmed attacks to be treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character's monk level. At 10th level, his unarmed attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. At 16th level, his unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction and bypassing hardness.
    In addition to ki strike, a monk can spend points from his ki pool to achieve special short-term effects. By spending 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action, a monk can invoke any one of the following options: he can gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round; he can gain a +4 insight bonus to his attacks for 1 round; he can gain a +4 insight bonus to his damage for 1 round; or he can gain one additional attack at his highest attack bonus when he uses his flurry of blows ability (see above).
    A monk who moves or charges (including the use of the feat Spring Attack) and then makes a single attack with his unarmed strikes or a special monk weapon can spend 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action to gain one additional attack at his highest attack bonus.
    A monk gains additional powers that consume points from his ki pool as he gains levels. The ki pool is replenished each morning after 8 hours of rest or meditation; these hours do not need to be consecutive.

Catfall (Su): At 4th level or higher, a monk can fall incredible distances without suffering damage. When falling, a monk always lands on his feet. In addition, he reduces the damage inflicted from a fall by 1d6 per monk level he possesses, to a maximum reduction of 20d6 at 20th level. Unlike magical spells (such as feather fall) with similar effects, a monk is not slowed during his descent, making this ability a favored method for higher level monks to rapidly descend great distances quickly. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point remaining in his ki pool.

Agility Training (Ex): At 5th level, a monk adds one-half his level (round down) to all Acrobatics skill checks and to the monk’s choice of either Climb or Swim skill checks. In addition, he always counts as having a running start when making jump checks using Acrobatics. By spending 1 point from his ki pool as a swift action, a monk can gain an additional +20 bonus on Acrobatics checks made to jump for 1 round.

Monastic Weapons Training (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a monk gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls when using any of the following weapons: club, dagger, handaxe, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shortspear, short sword, shuriken, siangham, spear, and unarmed strike. Additional weapons can be added to this list through the use of the Extra Monastic Weapons feat (see below). This bonus increases to +2 at 9th level, and by an additional +1 every four levels gained thereafter as a monk to a maximum bonus of +4 at 17th level.
    A monk may add this bonus to any combat maneuver checks made with the listed weapons.
    This bonus applies to the monk's Combat Maneuver Defense when defending against disarm and sunder attempts made against the character, if he is wielding one of the listed weapons.
    This bonus is not an enhancement bonus and is not magical in nature; it instead reflects the training and honing of a monk's martial abilities.

Purity of Body (Ex): At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases (such as lycanthropy and mummy rot).

Speak with Animals (Ex): At 6th level, a monk can converse with any creature of the animal type, as per the spell speak with animals. Such conversations are limited by the animal’s intelligence (or lack thereof).

Wholeness of Body (Su): At 7th level or higher, a monk can heal his own wounds as a standard action. He can expend 1 point from his ki pool to heal a number of hit points of damage equal to 2d8 + his monk level + his Wisdom bonus (if any). A monk can instead spend 2 points from his ki pool to use this ability as a move action. If the monk spends 3 points from his ki pool, he may use this ability as a swift action.

Duty Never Tires (Ex): At 9th level, a monk gains Endurance as a bonus feat. Furthermore, by spending 1 ki point as a swift action, he can ignore the effects of fatigue for 10 minutes per monk level. This ability only suppresses the fatigue; it does not remove it.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a monk’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Unfettered Speech (Ex): At 10th level, a monk can converse with any creature of the plant type, as per the spell speak with plants. Such conversations are limited by the plant’s intelligence (or lack thereof). A monk can also converse with any creature of the magical beast type that has an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (for the purpose of this ability, treat magical beasts as though they are animals and refer to the spell speak with animals).

Diamond Body (Ex): At 11th level, a monk gains immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Abundant Step (Su): At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door. Using this ability is a move action that consumes 2 points from his ki pool. His caster level for this effect is equal to his monk level. Unlike the normal use of dimension door, the monk may take any remaining actions in a round after using this ability. He may take willing creatures with him when he uses this ability, so long as the monk does not exceed his maximum carrying capacity.

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 13th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to his current monk level +11. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk’s spell resistance. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point remaining in his ki pool.

Tongues (Ex): At 14th level, a monk can converse with any creature, as per the spell tongues. To communicate, a creature must be within 30 feet of the monk and both the monk and creature must have line-of-sight to each other. Furthermore, the monk is able to commune with stone (as per the druid spell stone tell), however to commune with stone the monk must be touching the stone object.

Quivering Palm (Su): Starting at 15th level, a monk can set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if the monk so desires. He can use this quivering palm attack once per day, and he must announce his intent before making his attack roll. Creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected; neither can creatures who are not living (undead or constructs). Otherwise, if the monk strikes successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds. Thereafter, the monk can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is made within a number of days equal to his monk level. To make such an attempt, the monk merely wills the target to die (a free action), and unless the target makes a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ the monk’s level + the monk’s Wisdom modifier) it dies. If the saving throw is successful, the target instead takes twice the damage of the monk's unarmed strike (as if the monk had threatened and then confirmed a critical hit) and the quivering palm attack ends; the target may still die if he suffers enough damage from this attack to reduce him to negative hit points equal to his Constitution score. A monk can have no more than one quivering palm in effect at one time. If a monk uses quivering palm while another is still in effect, the previous effect is negated. This ability is a death effect.
    At 17th level, and again at 19th level, the monk gains one additional daily use of this ability.

Timeless Body (Ex): At 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to his ability scores to his physical ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. The initial roll made by the DM for the character’s maximum age (according to race) is discarded, and a new maximum age calculated. The random dice are maximized. For example, a human monk who reaches 17th level will live to a ripe old age of 110 years, while an elf monk could see 750 years. Age bonuses to the monk’s mental ability scores still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when his time is up. This ability is not the same as immortality, and the monk can always die before his time due to violence.

Stalwart Soul (Ex): At 18th level, a monk no longer suffers any penalties for being fatigued (he still remains fatigued, however, for purposes of exhaustion). If the monk becomes exhausted, he may spend 2 ki points as a swift action to ignore the effects of exhaustion for 1 minute per monk level. This ability only suppresses the exhaustion; it does not remove it. A monk gains the benefits of this ability so long as he has at least one point remaining in his ki pool.

Empty Body (Su): At 19th level, a monk gains the ability to assume an ethereal state for 1 minute as though using the spell etherealness. Using this ability is a move action that consumes 3 points from his ki pool. This ability only affects the monk and cannot be used to make other creatures ethereal.

Perfect Self: At 20th level, a monk transcends his mortal limitations. He gains blindsight in a 30-foot radius. He gains immunity versus all hostile mind-affecting spells, spell-like abilities, and other effects (this replaces and does not stack with the still mind ability). Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/chaotic, which allows him to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonchaotic weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Furthermore, a monk who has attained this level of experience can go for twenty days without food or drink before suffering from ill effects. This replaces the duration listed under the duty never tires ability (see above). Finally, the monk’s bonuses accrued from monastic weapons training (see above) increase to provide a +5 bonus on attacks and damage.
    The few monks who reach this level of achievement often retire from adventuring to explore what they are becoming. Only those with the strongest of ties to their companions and their homelands remain, but even these will eventually simply vanish one night, never to return.

Ex-Monks: A monk who becomes nonlawful cannot gain new levels as a monk but retains all monk abilities

New Feats

The Waves and The Wind
    You channel your ki energy to breach the resistances that many creatures have, eroding them away as the wind and the waves cut into the rocky highlands.
    Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +9, Dexterity 13, Wisdom 13, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Stunning Fist.
    Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus on damage rolls when you make an unarmed strike against an opponent who possesses damage reduction of a type that you are unable to normally bypass. You do not receive the bonus damage if your unarmed strike is able to bypass the creature’s damage reduction. The Waves and The Wind may be chosen by a Fighter as one of his bonus feats, provided that he meets the listed prerequisites.

Extra Monastic Weapon
    You are highly trained in the use of a non-standard monk weapon.
    Prerequisites: Monastic weapons training class feature, proficiency with the chosen weapon.
    Benefit: Select one special monk weapon with which you are proficient. You may now apply the bonuses on attack and damage rolls from your monastic weapons training class feature to that weapon.
    Special: You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you select this feat it must be applied a new special monk weapon with which you are proficient.

New Magic Items

Gloves of Perfect Striking
    Aura: Faint (+1); Moderate (+2; +3); Strong (+4; +5) transmutation
    CL: 3rd (+1); 6th (+2); 9th (+3); 12th (+4); 15th (+5)
    Slot: Hands
    Price: 2,000 gp (+1); 8,000 gp (+2); 18,000 gp (+3); 32,000 (+4); 50,000 gp (+5)
    Weight: 1 lb.
    Description: These finely crafted gloves of silk interior and leather exterior are fingerless and adjust themselves to tightly bind to the hands and wrist of the wearer. When worn, they provide the wearer with an enhancement bonus of between +1 and +5 on the attack and damage rolls of his unarmed strikes. Unlike standard magic weapons, the gloves cannot be enchanted with special weapon properties. Both gloves must be worn for the magic to function. The gloves do not enhance any form of natural weapons.
    The enchantment of the gloves of perfect striking stacks with that of an amulet of mighty fists but only the highest enhancement bonus applies.
    Construction
    Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Items, magic weapon, crafter’s caster level must be at least three times the enhancement bonus bestowed.
    Crafting Cost: 1,000 gp (+1); 4,000 gp (+2); 9,000 gp (+3); 16,000 gp (+4); 25,000 gp (+5)

The Pouch of Infinite Stars
    Aura: Moderate conjuration
    CL: 6th
    Slot: --
    Price: 13,000 gp
    Weight: 1 lb.
    Description: This leather pouch is designed to worn on a belt. Unremarkable in appearance, it is actually quite heavily enchanted. Upon looking into the pouch, it appears to contain ten shuriken. The wearer may draw and throw them as needed. The magic of this item then becomes readily apparent. At the start of the wearer's next turn, the pouch once again refills with ten new shuriken! The bearer of this item never need fear running out of throwing stars so long as he wears this item. Shuriken removed from the pouch vanish after one round, whether or not they are thrown or if they strike a target.
    Twice per day, the bearer of the pouch may utter a command word as a swift action. After doing so, any shuriken he draws from the pouch possess a +2 enhancement bonus. This effect lasts until the start of the character’s next round. A few rare pouches only possess a +1 enhancement bonus, but also provide a +1 special weapon property, such as distance, flaming, frost, or seeking. Such pouches of infinite shuriken never possess the returning property.
    Construction
    Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Items, abundant ammunition, magic weapon*
    Crafting Cost: 6,500 gp
    *Pouches of infinite stars with a special weapon property, such as the pouch of infinite flaming stars or the pouch of infinite seeking stars add the spell listed in the special weapons property to the requirements listed above. See Magic Weapon Special Ability Descriptions (pg. 461-463) in the Core Reference Document for exact details.
    GreySage

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:56 pm  

All right. Your latest incarnation of the Monk character class seems pretty cool. However, I have two editing comments. Cool

First,

masterarminas wrote:
    A monk with natural weapons cannot use such weapons as part of a flurry of blows, ...

Why not? It seems to me that the use of natural weapons by a monk of a race possessing them would be as 'natural' as a human using his hands, feet, elbows, and knees in an unarmed strike.

Second,

Quote:
    The enchantment of the gloves of perfect striking stacks with that of an amulet of mighty fists but only the highest enhancement bonus applies.

This doesn't seem to make sense. If the enhancement bonuses of the two types of magic items stack with each other, why would only the highest be applied?

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:45 am  

The current incarnation of the monk in Pathfinder can't add natural weapon attacks onto a flurry, and frankly that is one place where I agree. Natural weapons on players, should be relatively rare and uncommon anyway. I think Pathfinder put that clause in because they have SO MANY ways for players to get natural weapons, which they then have to prune back so that the players don't get three or four extra attacks on top of their weapons (and unarmed strikes).

In Pathfinder, SirXaris, the amulet of mighty fists is the one and only item that can be fitted with special weapon properties (i.e. flaming, frost, etc.) without first having a +1 bonus. So you could have a +0 flaming burst amulet that is priced as a +2 amulet of mighty fists.

The gloves can only have enhancement bonuses, and can stack with the special weapon properties of the amulet.

Does that clear things up?

Master Arminas
    GreySage

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 pm  

masterarminas wrote:
    The current incarnation of the monk in Pathfinder can't add natural weapon attacks onto a flurry, and frankly that is one place where I agree. Natural weapons on players, should be relatively rare and uncommon anyway. I think Pathfinder put that clause in because they have SO MANY ways for players to get natural weapons, which they then have to prune back so that the players don't get three or four extra attacks on top of their weapons (and unarmed strikes).

Hmm... I understand from the perspective of allowing natural weapons, like a bite attack, to add attacks to a Flurry of Blows. However, I don't understand why such attacks can't be used as part of a Flurry of Blows. If a human monk with three attacks when using Flurry of Blows can attack with a fist for unarmed strike damage, throw a shuriken for normal shuriken damage, then kick for unarmed damage, why can't a half-dragon monk punch for unarmed strike damage, bite for bite damage, then round-house kick for unarmed strike damage?

Quote:
    In Pathfinder, SirXaris, the amulet of mighty fists is the one and only item that can be fitted with special weapon properties (i.e. flaming, frost, etc.) without first having a +1 bonus. So you could have a +0 flaming burst amulet that is priced as a +2 amulet of mighty fists.

The gloves can only have enhancement bonuses, and can stack with the special weapon properties of the amulet.

Does that clear things up?

Master Arminas

It does. Thanks! Smile

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:21 pm  

Because the feat Feral Combat Training already exists. Evil Grin

Seriously, Feral Combat Training allows a character to use natural weapons as part of a flurry of blows and also provides for the character to take a feat designed for Improved Unarmed Strike and instead apply it to his natural weapon. And that feat already exists in Pathfinder.

Making it a standard portion of the class would have invalidated the best half of the feat, making a rather poor choice.

Master Arminas
    GreySage

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:25 pm  

Ah. I wasn't aware of such a feat as I'm still new to Pathfinder.

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: