JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Paizo forums
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    Paizo forums
    CF Admin

Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:24 am  
    Paizo forums

In lieu of a recent closed thread on the WoTC forums it came to me that, if Paizo created their own forums, we'd have no reason to discuss Greyhawk on the WoTC forums since Paizo is basically our only source of published (print) Greyhawk.

Sure people come here to Canonfire in order to discuss Greyhawk, but Canonfire has Greyhawk content whereas WoTC has none. Other than the very rare and occasional Living Greyhawk web published articles ofcourse, but Canonfire has those tri-weekly.

I think if WoTC wants their forums to continue to have any traffic they need to explain to their moderators that they need to allow not only Greyhawk fans, but any fans of any out-of-print setting to discuss anything even remotely relating to their preferred worlds on their specific forums including Paizo and their products.

I think WoTC is just digging a larger hole for us out-of-print fans (and I mean all oop fans, not just Greyhawk) that they will have a harder time getting us out of if they don't start attending to our needs and wants. What do you guys think?

Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:40 am  

actually, complete Divine had greyhawk material (many more of the gods listed with domains, favored weapons etc.) and one of the new weekly articles was set in greyhawk (and was about a cult of Tharzy)... poor editing aside, WotC does have some (non living) greyhawk material on it ;)
    CF Admin

Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:42 am  

Ok, I concede that fact, but the frequency of Greyhawk content by WoTC is yearly, if that.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:19 am  

WoTC Forums...hmmmm...bleck. I post rarely over there and visit only the OOP board regularly and the Greyhawk board on the rare occasion, as I come here for GH forum talk. Though I do see a great many of you over there, and that's always a nice thing. I don't think I've even posted on the GH board. I prefer Canonfire. As Abyss said, there is GH material here, very little over at WoTC and everyone seems to be able to discuss things in a mature manner without resorting to trolling and flaming.

There's some really bad blood over there. At least on the OOP where I do keep track of what's going on. Moderators and users are literally at each other's throats. I've seen post after post of livid OOPers adamantly arguing that WoTC just wishes they would disappear. It has reached the point that much consideration is being given to any and ALL posts that have anything to do with 3e will not be allowed on OOP which is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Apparently tempers cannot be controled when discussing oop and 3e. What seems to be eating at the OOPers most is the fact that the moderators are rather selective on who they reprimand and which threads are locked when flame wars erupt. Basically, they show favoritism to 3e and scold the OOPers.

I think, after all the threads I've been through, I can safely say the general consensus on the OOP board is that WoTC does indeed wish the OOPers would go away and not remind anyone of editions prior to 3e.

As for the GH end of their forum, I don't know. I don't really keep up with it as I'm much happier to come here to Canonfire than WoTC. So I don't feel any real urge to go over and look around much.

If Paizo had their own forums? Well, that would be nice, but Canonfire would still be my first choice.
    CF Admin

Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:37 am  

Well, 75% (as shown by the poll in Greyhawk General) of Greyhawk players use 3.x so edition really doesnt have much to do with it. I'm talking more specifically about out-of-print settings and their fans.

If WoTC wants us trafficing their forums and discussing these settings then I think they need to let us do just that and quit being so anal about topics that may be ever so slightly off. Like the most recently locked thread over there pertaining to DUNGEON. Ok, so Greyhawk wasn't mentioned even once, so what! The thread was started by a Greyhawk fan, replied to by Greyhawk fans, and was a discussion on DUNGEON which is Greyhawk's primary source of published content.

I just have this feeling, that with their stance on forum moderation, there will be a sever decrease in traffic on the out-of-print setting (specially Greyhawk) forums, once Paizo opens their own discussion boards, and it will be nobodys fault but their own.

Where do these WizOs come from anyway, and who trains them (if anybody)?

Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:47 am  

Quote:
    Where do these WizOs come from anyway, and who trains them (if anybody)?

Don't know, but I think that has to be the most over-moderated forum I've
    ever seen. To lock a thread because of a discussion about DUNGEON? Sheesh, I'll stay over here, thank you. Wink
    CF Admin

Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:55 am  

I hear yah, Tedra.

You know, this brings about an even bigger thought. Is the traffic on the WoTC Greyhawk forum taken into consideration by WoTC pertaining to the amount of support the setting receives from its fans? Is there any hope that, if the forums gain a super-high level of traffic, WoTC may ponder the thought of publishing some Greyhawk?

If this is the case and Paizo does open its own forums, and the WoTC traffic level drops off, will this destroy any chance at some published Greyhawk products by WoTC?

hmmm....

I doubt it. I don't think it will ever happen, specially with the setting being all-but handed over to the RPGA. As much as I'd love some WoTC published product by a good Greyhawkian author, I think there is a 0% chance that it will ever happen again.

So, who do we email at Paizo requesting the implementation of forums for DUNGEON (Greyhawk) discussion? I'm ready to put in my request.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:03 am  

Coming back for more, I'm actually finding myself a little ticked off about that minor thread being locked.

Anytime some one requests some kind of Greyhawk support or help, they are referred to either Canonfire or DUNGEON 90% of the time.

You know what? If WoTC wants us to only talk about them and their products on their forums then they need to publish some stuff for us to talk about. Thier policies are ridiculious!

I'm heading to Paizo's website to see if I can find who I need to email requesting some Paizo forums. Those WizOs are right. I'd rather talk about Paizo on Paizo forums anyway. WoTC means basically nothing to me. What have they done lately for me and the setting I prefer? Nothing!

I hardly consider PHB proper noun references and some Complete Divine writes ups as supporting my favorite setting.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:06 am  

CEO of Paizo Publishing: Lisa Stevens

lisa.stevens@paizo.com

Duke of Paizo Web Technology: Robert Head

robert.head@paizo.com

Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:55 am  

You peaked my curiosity about that thread Abysslin, so I had to go check it out. Wow. Shocked
    CF Admin

Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:00 pm  

Despotrix wrote:
    The really puzzling thing is that that thread got locked down for something so stupid, but the other current thread about Dungeon there, which was essentially an all out flamewar, was left open.

No kiddin! And they call you a forum tyrant! pfft! Wink

Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:22 pm  

it was becasue the the "flame war" was about greyhawk content in dungeon, while the locked thread was about the magazine itself...
    CF Admin

Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:35 pm  

Quote:
    If WoTC wants us trafficing their forums and discussing these settings then I think they need to let us do just that and quit being so anal about topics that may be ever so slightly off.

And I'm sticking to it.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:43 pm  

Those WizOs need to understand us Greyhawk fans are like any other. We are a community!

We aren't going to search for some dumb WoTC off topic forums just bcuz we wanna talk about DUNGEON without the word Greyhawk in the title or message body.

We wanna discuss and talk with other Greyhawkians and receive eachothers feedback and input. Why would we wanna go to some lame forum where we don't know anybody to talk about DUNGEON or any other topic for that matter.

I don't care what those WizOs do, but they need to leave us Greyhawkers alone. The company they represent leaves us alone in published form, so wouldn't stand to reason that they should leave us alone on the forums too? I think so! Wink

Like I said before, if they want to control what we talk about, then give us something to talk about.

Bring it on WoTC, let's see what you got.

Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:51 am  

Closing down threads about the freakin official D&D magazines on the D&D website is idiotic.

I've never been a huge fan of the moderation style there, but this is just outrageous. I suggest everyone email community@wizards.com and let them know what you think of this policy. I just did.

Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:29 am  

Just like to point out again that the WotC forums are a free service provided for talking about stuff that WotC owns... and they do not have an off topic forum like canonfire here does... if I were to go onto the greyhawk discussion forum here on canonfire and create a thread where I simply talked constantly about Darksun or the Forgotten Realms with no attept or intention of talking about anything related to greyhawk... the thread would be moved to this forum at best, or possibly closed as off-topic...
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:34 pm  

Piazo finaly has thier own message board forums :)

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:37 am  

no kidding... it took them way to long.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:10 pm  

chatdemon wrote:
    Closing down threads about the freakin official D&D magazines on the D&D website is idiotic.

I've never been a huge fan of the moderation style there, but this is just outrageous. I suggest everyone email community@wizards.com and let them know what you think of this policy. I just did.

After reading through this thread, I went over to WotC and read the locked thread. Confused Confused Confused Confused
    Closed without a warning? The argument in that thread was hardly an argument, more of a debate between one erudite GVD and several others who disagreed with him(her?). And yet, the flame wars on WotC boards are legendary. Go figure.
    At least Paizo has boards now. Happy

"The trees are our ancestors."----Otto Von Bismark
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: