Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - WotC is reprinting the 1e Core Books (PH, DMG, MM)!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    WotC is reprinting the 1e Core Books (PH, DMG, MM)!
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:10 pm  
    WotC is reprinting the 1e Core Books (PH, DMG, MM)!

I know that D&D Next (5e) is the big news this week, but it seems that folks missed this juicy tid-bit...

WotC is reprinting the 1e Core Books (PH, DMG, MM)! Some proceeds with go to support the Gygax Memorial Fund.

I am sure this is the target audience for this news...

Quote:
    In 1974, the world changed forever when Gary Gygax introduced the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. The legacy of his innovative ideas and the extensive reach of his powerful influence can be seen in virtually every facet of gaming today.
    To help honor his work and his memory, we created limited-edition reprints of the original 1st Edition core rulebooks: the Monster Manual, Player's Handbook, and Dungeon Master's Guide. These premium versions of the original AD&D rulebooks have been lovingly reprinted with the original art and content, but feature an attractive new cover design commemorating this re-release. Available in limited quantities as a hobby channel exclusive in North America.

Main Article LINK:
    WotC's Announcement and Interview with Gail Gygax

If you want more info on the Gygax Fund, go here:
    Gygax Memorial Fund

Here are the links to the individual products:
    Premium Player's Handbook
    Premium Monster Manual
    Premium Dungeon Master's Guide

So far they seem to be only available in the North American hobby channel (no Amazon.com) and in limited supply.

Enjoy,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    Sun King at Arms, Herald of the Great Kingdom

Last edited by Saracenus on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:14 pm  

I'll definitely get the Monster Manual reprint. I still have my original 1st ed. version of all three of those books, but the Monster Manual is all beat up and as a kid I very stupidly colored in a lot of the pictures rolleyes It'd be nice to have a version with the original art that's not ruined by my childhood foolishness. Laughing
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:31 pm  

I am curious what the new book covers will look like. What is being shown appears to be what the first inner page will look like, as there are no book titles on the pic at all. As these books are 3 months out, it is safe to assume that they have arrived/soon will be arriving from the printers, and so the covers should be set. I want to see the covers before ordering.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:18 pm  

*sigh*

I may just have to get these even though I still have my 1e books within arms reach (even though I play 3.5).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:48 pm  

You gotta love the Erol Otus art on these beauties ;)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:44 am  

It's just going to be crazy on e-bay about 2 or 3 mo. after they sell out. I see the going for 3x's or 4x's the cover price.

Will I go out and buy the "new" 1e core book's, most likely. I think it's a way WotC to get into the OSR or any of the retro clones out their with out pulling the plug on the OGL. I could be wrong, but my scrying pool has lied to me before Laughing
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:46 am  

electryc wrote:
    You gotta love the Erol Otus art on these beauties ;)

I think that art is just for the Gygax Foundation and they're using it to represent the covers, but yeah, it is really nice. When I was a young gamer it seemed like you either loved or hated his work and I was one of the lovers. I really like some of the more recent work he did, especially some of the covers for Goodman Games. I'm hoping they got him to do the covers. Like Ceb, I'm really curious to see what they're gonna look like.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:05 am  

I dunno... maybe if it's a take on the original covers. I like what they did w/ the PHB2 for 3.5
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:52 pm  

It would be nice to see a better take on the original covers(the monster manual in particular). That would pretty much seal it for me. Pics soon hopefully.

EDIT: ...and that didn't take long at all. Care of Morrus of ENWorld in the Seminar Transcript - Upcoming Products for 2012:

I like them well enough. Cool

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:55 pm  

The new covers are a nice homage to the originals. It is interesting that the 'Advanced' part of the name is not on the cover. I wonder if this is a move toward uniting all the editions?

Julian<div><br /></div><div><br /></div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:29 pm  

Crud. Now I have to buy them all... :)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:29 pm  

I might actually have to go out and buy these. Damn I really enjoy the original artwork on those covers. Kind of reminds me of how I learned the game. Dare I open the inside? Morrus probably has a preorder on those babies.

Later

Argon
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:26 am  
    Interesting

That wasn't what I expected for the cover art or for the name...but I didn't really know what to expect.

Now I wonder if they updated the manuals to correct errors that had existed in the last printings.

http://www.acaeum.com/library/errata_mm.html

http://www.acaeum.com/library/errata_phb.html

http://www.acaeum.com/library/errata_dmg.html
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 pm  

Pass. I have my old set of 1st ed books I used for years (all beat to hell) and the display copies I have in a shadow box hanging on my wall (picked up years later). I'll stick to the old covers for my show-off wall.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:35 pm  
    Re: Interesting

Raymond wrote:
    Now I wonder if they updated the manuals to correct errors that had existed in the last printings.

I thought I saw somewhere it was being sourced from a "high quality scan". Doesn't sound like any new layout or errata... Maybe they'll be kind and include the errata as an addendum.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm  
    Editing and Publishing

Well, I expect that they won't edit the text but my opinion is that they should. As an editor of manuals, I can't justify releasing a new publication where I haven't fixed mistakes that I know are there. I understand that the current people may not even be aware that there are mistakes. I also figure they might not even have access to the last printing that was printed from which to make their scan.

According to http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/b1.html, the 8th printing of B2 (Silver Anniversary Collector's Edition) has art from 1st printing and text from 3rd printing. According to http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/basic.html, the Holmes Basic book used the 5th printing instead of the 7th. I can only hope that the differences between these printings was not text but something like font or placement of bar codes on cover.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:51 am  

I am psyched about this anyway.

To be honest, since the release of 3.5, WotC has gradually and deliberately worsened its relationship to the fan base. At least that is my impression.

This looks like a nice step to make amends again. Smile

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 am  

Le Noir Faineant wrote:
    I am psyched about this anyway.
    To be honest, since the release of 3.5, WotC has gradually and deliberately worsened its relationship to the fan base. At least that is my impression.
    This looks like a nice step to make amends again. Smile

Like you I am pleased that this step is being made, and although I would not defend WOC but I don't believe they intended it to be a deliberate slight on the "old school" (GH in particular). Let's remember they inherited ALOT of baggage from TSR (cough Lorraine Williams keen business sense cough) and had a different business model (ie magic cards).
    I think that WOC with the advent of "5e" on the horizon recognizes this as a good PR / Business development opportunity to bring GH fans back to the table w/o alot of front end work other than publication print. This of course assumes they don't intend on doing any error correction. Further, from a market share stand point, they see that GH in its many "on line" forms ( ie CF, Greyhawkry, etc) are alive and well with out them, and see it as a potential revenue stream.
    My hope is WOC recognizes with the advent through the years of electronic "roleplay" type games (which IMO lack ALOT) are the true adversary and demise of the greatest Roleplaying game on the planet. My only concern (more so from the 5e point) is that they build it in support of improving roleplaying D&D (in what ever level of detail you prefer)and not try to continue the past course of converting it into something else akin to a card game.
    Lasty, like many I have the original (admittedly beaten and battle worn, but hey I earned those scars Evil Grin ). I will still get these, not for the material with in, but in respect to the legacy of the memorial of the man who made all of this possible. Knowing the proceeds that will be gathered in his honor, is the best of reasons IMO.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:56 am  

I agree with you, and I think that it is a widely spread misconception that the problems that WotC had lately came from them essentially pissing of the oldschool crowd.

Rather than that, I'd say their problems are systemic, as I wrote in another, more in detail debate:

Quote:

Fans love OGL. WotC tries to kill OGL.
    Fans love to buy PDFs online. WotC forbids PDF sales of their products.
    Fans love Living Greyhawk. WotC kills Living Greyhawk.
    Fans say, Eberron weird. WotC makes Eberron canon setting for D&D Online.
    Fans love Forgotten Realms. WotC kills Forgotten Realms as we know it.
    Fans love Dragon and Dungeon. WotC makes Dragon and Dungeon weird collection of blog articles that are **** to print.
    Fans want better product quality and better maps. WotC publishes unedited products and worse maps.
    Fans want Dragonlance, Greyhawk and Ravenloft back. WotC brings back Dark Sun.
    Fans want separate miniature game. WotC merge miniature game with normal D&D. With even shittier maps.
    Fans want trimmer rulebooks. WotC publishes a ruleset that is 700 pages of "core rules", and 1800 pages of "essentials".
    Fans say, bring old designers back. WotC fires Richard Baker.

http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1686

That's not a problem of content, that's a problem of content administration. If Wizbro had kept all these things, or at least been compromissing, then we would not have 5e yet, I am pretty sure.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:59 am  

While I like the fact they are reprinting 1e I will not be buying. Not because of any 'hatred' for WOTC but for the fact that I will not support the Gygax Memorial. I would much rather see Castle Zagyg finally be released than a statue.

Julian<div><br /></div><div><br /></div>
    Paladin

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 am  

Le Noir Faineant wrote:

Quote:

Fans love OGL. WotC tries to kill OGL.
    Fans love to buy PDFs online. WotC forbids PDF sales of their products.
    Fans love Living Greyhawk. WotC kills Living Greyhawk.
    Fans say, Eberron weird. WotC makes Eberron canon setting for D&D Online.
    Fans love Forgotten Realms. WotC kills Forgotten Realms as we know it.
    Fans love Dragon and Dungeon. WotC makes Dragon and Dungeon weird collection of blog articles that are **** to print.
    Fans want better product quality and better maps. WotC publishes unedited products and worse maps.
    Fans want Dragonlance, Greyhawk and Ravenloft back. WotC brings back Dark Sun.
    Fans want separate miniature game. WotC merge miniature game with normal D&D. With even shittier maps.
    Fans want trimmer rulebooks. WotC publishes a ruleset that is 700 pages of "core rules", and 1800 pages of "essentials".
    Fans say, bring old designers back. WotC fires Richard Baker.

Smile Touch'e ... Even I, one who prefers the dark places of the world, must concede to the truth of the light. Evil Grin And your points exactly define my concern that 5e will be another regurgitated money grab. Hope Im wrong... but as they say history repeats...
    julian_grimm wrote:

I will not support the Gygax Memorial. I would much rather see Castle Zagyg finally be released than a statue.

Well, I see the memorial as much my own ( so to speak). It could serve as a monument for all that endured the past beliefs suffered at the hand of media /public as well as recognition of a single man. You must concede the idea that became D&D has changed the gaming industry to what it is today. You may not recall, it was once the thought D&D was akin to devil worshiping 101 (at least down here in the Southern US). When, in fact, it has been an enriching diverse form of entertainment akin to improv. So for me its a great big bronze raspberry signifiying we are still here Razz Laughing
    Don't get me wrong, would love to see the complete castle, but not sure it ever really existed as complete. Even that, I think was, to some degree intent. GG only developed a portion of Oerth. One reason, at the time, was due to printing constraints. But also, IMO, he recognized DMs need for areas to home grow places of the world to make it their own.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:49 pm  

Forgive the threadomancy but I think this is still the most appropriate thread to use without resorting to fashioning a new one:

I just ran an errand for my wife, and en route back home, stopped by the local gaming shop on a whim with purpose. An LO! and BEHOLD! there they ALL 3 were, in complete wrapping, the reprinted core books!

I merely glanced at them, and since they were wrapped, couldn't peruse any of them, of course.

My question to anyone reading this...did you buy any (or all) of them? Was it worth the money? Be honest. I still have my original books from the late 80's, and yes, they are a bit beaten up (my DMG is the worst for wear, but still fully functional). Is there anything new and different about these reprints? Or are they pretty much clones of the originals?

VERY curious,

Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:22 pm  

Lanthorn, the info on them said they're reprints, with the original interior artwork and contents. Besides the covers, if there is anything different I imagine they might have printed them on coated paper, like all the newer stuff, but haven't hear one way or the other.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 pm  

Mortellan covered this on his blog Greyhawkery. Give it a visit here http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 pm  

Thanks for the tip, Argon.

Anyone actually own a copy and open it up?

-Lanthorn, on the edge of his seat
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: