Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Father's Loot day coming - DM Tool suggestions?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Father's Loot day coming - DM Tool suggestions?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:02 am  
    Father's Loot day coming - DM Tool suggestions?

So the wife gave me a 'hint, hint, nudge, nudge' that Father's day would be a perfect opportunity to acquire any missing elements for the upcoming campaign.

I have most of the books I need or want - the main campaign module of ToEE, DM book, PH book, MM and the Greyhawk Player's Guide. Also I have a DM screen/index, 2 reversible vinyl battle mats, 2 doz minis (for visualization only) and plenty of dice.

Anything you veterans would recommend as MUST HAVE items the DM?

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:52 am  

Your wife suggested gaming materials?! Shocked Wow, man, are you lucky. Cool Mine always teases me for playing a "kid's" game. Embarassed

Sounds like you have pretty much what you need. I gather you are playing a 1e or 2e system. This will dictate the resources you'd need (true of any edition you'd play, of course).

-Lanthorn, Kid's Game Player Wink

Last edited by Lanthorn on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:55 am  

My wife can't give me too much hassle - she played a Elven thief in our last campaign ;)

I'm playing 2E this time, with 1E materials where applicable.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:00 am  

Pizza. You must have pizza.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:01 am  

Here's what I typically 'bust out' when I set up my game:

PH, DMG, Tome of Magic, Combat and Tactics, Spells and Magic, Skills and Powers, and any and all of the Complete Guides (Elves, Dwarves, Fighters, Wizards, Necromancers, etc) that I think I'll need. I also grab my Monstrous Compendium (and the older monster books, if needed), Unearthed Arcana (rarely these days), Monster Mythology, Wilderness Survival Guide (or Dungeon Survival Guide, if needed). If you go planar, nothing beats Manual of the Planes. If you have a Heironean in the party, snag Bastion of Faith. The various boxed sets are also useful. There are many other supplements out there, so use what you need, when you need.

Basically, I feel like Smaug with his treasure trove, except mine includes books, not gold. Cool

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:03 pm  

@Lanthorn - Lol, that's a lot of books. Could you pick 2-3 must haves to suggest?

@Cebrion - Naturally. Pizza and cheetos and Mountain Dew - for casting Magic Missile at the darkness...

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:23 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Pizza. You must have pizza.

ALL HAIL, and make thee prayers be heard unto thy gods and summmon forth of thy perfect food!!! Laughing

Lanthorn wrote:

Your wife suggested gaming materials?! Wow, man, are you lucky. Mine always teases me for playing a "kid's" game.

LOL I hear ya!!! though can't complain here either after years of "invading PCs" and my return from out of country work she let me build my war room! My wife has found the "affliction", succumb and is the parties Bard now... Just trying to talk her into the "Anna Map Wall paper" might still be a challenge . Cool

As to the question in hand... hummm I find great use from my Dragon and Dungeon Magazine collection.. if she can find it, they did produce the first 250 on Cd back in the late 80s? I'm certain you can still find a copy somewhere.....
    Ebay?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Magazine-Archive-The-First-250-Issues-on-CD-/110893190958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d1bfcf2e#ht_500wt_1413
    Yep, and for $20 its a steal!
    GreySage

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:31 pm  

Nerdcav, only 2-3 books??!?!?! Shocked Perish the thought! Cry Are you playing on a box with limited room? Wink Or is it a case of you having to tote all these tomes with you to another location? If so, conscription of porters is a good thing... Evil Grin

DLG, I've teased my wife about rolling up a PC, just to get a reaction outta here, but keep reminding her that a Hermione Granger-type PC will NOT work in my ADnD realm. I keep telling her (sorry to offend any Harry Potter enthusiasts here) that "Harry Potter is for boys. Lord of the Rings is for men!" to which she will remind me about playing my "boy's" game. Embarassed I am still waiting for a Pelorian to heal that burn... Wink

-Lanthorn the Scorched Librarian
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:14 am  

@Lanthorn No, no - I have room for more books - but I'm looking for gift suggestions...unless you know a place where she might find all 20+ books you suggested for a meager sum.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:05 am  

Aaaaahhhh...gotcha. Well in that case, since I don't know which books you have, I will suggest the following as a sort of "starter" kit for any DM, in any order: Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook, and the Monstrous Compendium (you need enemies, after all). After that, I would choose Tome of Magic, Combat and Tactics, and Spells and Magic, in case you have the first three. Some of the boxed sets would also be very helpful. From the Ashes is great for accessing information about the priesthoods and is invaluable for that standpoint alone. Probably the best, in my mind, if you had to pick a single boxed set. Otherwise, The City of Greyhawk is wonderful for any settings in that area. I've had great success running plotlines in the Domain wilderness areas in addition to the city itself.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: